Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zpmqxonw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hi,
I need to create a webpage for my internship this summer and we had been using Microsoft Front Page. I liked how it worked but I really would like to be able to work on my webpage on my iBook. So, I am looking for a program that is like Microsoft FrontPage (will allow me to create a nice looking webpage without having to do coding by hand). If anybody has any suggestions for programs like this that are free I would really appreciate it!
Thanks! :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Macromedia Dreamweaver - $100 [Educational]
Adobe GoLive - $76 [Educational]

Those are most widely used WYSIWYG editors for the Mac. Macromedia Contribute ($89 Edu) may also work for you. Check out their respective websites for more information.

FrontPage isn't free :), not sure why you would pay for FrontPage on the PC and not expect to pay for an equivilant on the Mac. By the way, although FrontPage is "easy to use", sometimes it will generate code that will only view correctly on Internet Explorer for Windows.

You may also be able to find Adobe PageMill, although it would have to run in Classic. Good luck!

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I was wondering if FrontPage was free.

Apart from the already mentioned apps, there's also RapidWeaver and/or Freeway. I've seen people on this forum knock up some pretty nice sites using those apps.

Neither are free but are well priced.

marmanold

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Nvu

Nvu: http://www.nvu.com/

It's not the best html editor in the world, but it is free and runs on both Mac and PC. This way you can use the same envirionment on both platforms. Nvu makes fairly clean code and it is pretty easy to use. It's kinda like a simplified version of FrontPage. I taught my Dad how to use it for one of his Grad. School projects and he seemed to figure it out fairly quickly.

However, if you know how to hand code HTML Creator (http://tmdc.org/htmlcreatorHTML) is the best HTML editor I've tried. It's $15 shareware and worth every penny.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
munkle said:
I was wondering if FrontPage was free.

Apart from the already mentioned apps, there's also RapidWeaver and/or Freeway. I've seen people on this forum knock up some pretty nice sites using those apps.

Neither are free but are well priced.
I don't know whether this offer is still on, but if you subsribed to iCreate (a great magazine by the way!),you got Freeway Express for free, which I use to create my websites, and it is very easy to use.

::20ROGERSC::

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Hopefully you won't find anything *like* Frontpage on the Mac!
Frontpage is a scourge on the 'net because of the elitest code it creates.

The suggestions already made here are the standards for the Mac, so hopefully you will find something that suits your fancy.

Post your results when you create something so we can all have a look!

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.