PDA

View Full Version : Functioning Apple 1 Sells for $375,000 at Sotheby's Auction

MacRumors
Jun 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/functioning-apple-1-sells-for-375000-at-sothebys-auction/)

A functioning Apple 1 computer, one of the first 200 computers sold by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, sold for $374,500 (http://www.sothebys.com/en/catalogues/ecatalogue.html/2012/books-manuscripts-n08864#/r=/en/ecat.fhtml.N08864.html+r.m=/en/ecat.lot.N08864.html/57/) including the 12% buyer's premium at a Sotheby's action in New York. The Apple 1 originally sold for $666.66. The BBC notes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18456746) that only about 50 Apple 1's still exist and only a handful actually work.
Sotheby's said there was a battle between two parties for the item which also included the original manuals. A set of bids were executed by the auctioneer on behalf of an absentee collector, but a telephone bidder proved more persistent and eventually clinched the sale.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/Fine-Books-and-Manuscripts-Event-Detail-_-Sotheby_s-Auctions-Fine-Books-and-Manuscripts-Lot-57-_-Apple?-I?-Computer-.png

APPLE I COMPUTER

Operational Apple Computer I. An Apple I motherboard, labeled?on obverse Apple?Computer I, Palo Alto, CA. Copyright 1976. Includes circuit board with four rows A-D, and columns 1-18; MOS Technologies 6502 microprocessor, labeled MCS 6502 3776; video terminal; keyboard interface; 8K bytes RAM in 16-pin 4K memory chips; 4 power supplies including 3 capacitors; firmware in PROMS (A1, A2); low-profile sockets on all integrated circuits; breadboard; heatsink; expansion connector; cassette board connector. (15 1/8 x 9 in.; 385 x 234 mm)

Together with: Apple I Cassette Interface, labeled Apple I Cassette Interface Copyright 1976, partial "G" lettered in triangle on reverse, in black ink manuscript (4 x 2 in.; 102 x 50 mm). -- Apple-I Operation Manual. Palo Alto: Apple Computer Company. 12 pp. in wrappers (11 x 8 1/2 in.; 280 x 214 mm), with 8 circuit diagrams, 2 on foldout printed verso and recto, one full page; with original Apple Computer Co. logo on upper wrapper; tear along fold, light staining on wrapper and bottom right corner. -- Apple-I Cassette Interface Manual, Palo Alto: Apple Computer Company. Oblong 8 pp. bifolia (8 1/2 x 5 1/2 in.; 140 x 215 mm), with some staining to wrappers; original logo on upper wrapper, warranty on?lower wrapper --?Preliminary Apple BASIC Users Manual. Palo Alto: Apple Computer Company, October 1976. 8?stapled sheets (11?x 8?1/2 in.;?280?x?214 mm), printed?verso?and recto, with first sheet on?blue?paper?with tear along staple?and?manuscript "Randy J?Suess."?Some?staining to?first?and?last?page,?with?tear?on?last page. -- Double-sided?advertisement with illustration for Apple I?Computer and the?Apple Cassette Interface,?with manuscript?note (11 x?8?1/2 in.; 280 x 214 mm).Early Apple memorabilia has been a hot ticket recently. Sotheby's sold Apple's founding corporate papers (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/13/apple-founding-documents-sell-for-nearly-1-6-million/) -- signed by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ron Wayne -- in December for nearly $1.6 million.

Article Link: Functioning Apple 1 Sells for $375,000 at Sotheby's Auction (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/functioning-apple-1-sells-for-375000-at-sothebys-auction/)

niuniu
Jun 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Pocket change :D

HishamAkhtar
Jun 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
Just...why?

applesith
Jun 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
Might be easier to find one of those than the Retina MBP.

daneoni
Jun 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
Why?

WestonHarvey1
Just...why?

Some people like to collect things. The first product hand-built by one of the founders of one of the most storied corporations in world history might be an interesting thing to collect.

wickerman1893
Just...why?

Because you are buying one of the most important artifacts of world history ever made.

macnerd93
Jun 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
such an amazing piece of computing history. I wonder if any Apple I's have been tucked away in boxes in attics and what not and forgotten about over the years. Be awesome if someone was sat on almost 400,000 grand and they didn't know LOL.

Wish it was me though, but all I have in my loft is a Commodore and a ZX81 :(

gregwyattjr
Jun 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
Now, who is selling the original Apple I packaging?

iStudentUK
Jun 15, 2012, 11:57 AM
Because you are buying one of the most important artifacts of world history ever made.

Over stating it a bit aren't you?!

Shame I only had $374,000 to spend. :mad:

SandboxGeneral
Jun 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hey, more power to the buyer. But from my perspective, I ask why? Why pay that much for it and what could I do with it, aside from looking at it, pointing and saying "well, there it is."

niuniu
Jun 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hey, more power to the buyer. But from my perspective, I ask why? Why pay that much for it and what could I do with it, aside from looking at it, pointing and saying "well, there it is."

People love collecting stuff. I like to collect G shocks, especially Jap releases. Not so expensive and there is something enjoyable about having them.

fixmymac
Jun 15, 2012, 12:01 PM
I have a customer, who worked with Woz, during his time at HP. On my second visit to him we talked about older Macs. I waxed lyrical about my original Macintosh and he listened intently. He then told me that he had a collection of old Macs out in the garage that he would show me sometime. On my third visit, he duly obliged.

Neatly laid out on three shelves were 6 Apple II computers, 4 of which worked fine. He then pulled a fabric cover off the stuff on the bottom shelf to reveal three Apple I computers. I was assured that two of them were fully functional and that he also had complete paperwork and packaging for them. Was he not a very ill, wheelchair-bound man, i would have asked to see them running.

I was then shown an email conversation between him and Mr Wozniak. They had remained in touch with each other and Woz had promised that he would fix up his broken II's and I, if possible and would be sure to pack his soldering iron if he was ever visiting the country.

kurosov
Jun 15, 2012, 12:01 PM

For the very same reason people collect antiques or relics.

SkyBell
Jun 15, 2012, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't go that far, but it is indeed a rare historical item from the beginnings of a very well known company, it's sure to worth something great to somebody.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
People love collecting stuff. I like to collect G shocks, especially Jap releases. Not so expensive and there is something enjoyable about having them.

I understand that, which is why I stated "from my perspective", as if it were me going to buy the Apple I. I'm not a collector or an art buff, so I don't see the value in much of those things for me, which is why I question it.

Just like beauty, I believe that value is also in the eye of the beholder.

So obviously, it was worth the $375K to the buyer. If it were me, I wouldn't give $1 for it, simply because I have no use for an Apple I. Unless my intention was to resell it for an excessive amount of money. :p

Marzzz
I'm waiting for the upgraded version with Retina Display.

clibinarius
Hey, moron who bought this:

You can buy a top of the line retina display macbook pro instead. Much better value, cheaper and more functional!

Really? People take this comment seriously? Oh right, I made fun of insane fan boys with too much money while promoting fanboyism. My bad.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Over stating it a bit aren't you?!

How many artifacts can you point to that represent the starting point of a total revolution in how humans communicate and process information? Is it not as important as some dusty spear head from some battle of some war that won some country some land?

Swain
Jun 15, 2012, 12:06 PM

You can say the same about any painting or art-related. Why do people pay millions for let's say a work of Damien Hirst?

thermodynamic
Jun 15, 2012, 12:07 PM
Some people like to collect things. The first product hand-built by one of the founders of one of the most storied corporations in world history might be an interesting thing to collect.

Logical.

Granted, once a component burns out, replacement costs to make it functional again will be high, and even time and the laws of physics... even if the new owner never powers it on, to test it as 'fully operational' and sell it...

There really are times when we place too much value on things.

h1r0ll3r
Jun 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
About 50 of these exist in the world and of them only a few are operational. That makes this item a rare collectible item. If you've got the money to burn, why not? I wouldn't necessarily buy if I had that kind of money to each his/her own. Definitely a piece of history from the worlds top tech companies and makes for one hell of a conversation piece.

dashiel
Jun 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
And you thought the “new” MacPros were overpriced.

InfoTime
Jun 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'll save everyone the trouble...

Wow! Only 4KB RAM? $600? !!

Bill Gates said no one would ever need more than 640KB.

I remember when I paid x for y in z
(i.e. I remember when I paid $400 for 16MB RAM in 1995)

where x = a $ amount, y = some amount of storage or memory, and z = the year.

There, that'll keep about a page of senseless posts out of this thread. :D

HornetMontana
Jun 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
What's with the original price of $666.66 ?

wickerman1893
Jun 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=iStudentUK;15050211]Over stating it a bit aren't you?!

Shame I only had $374,000 to spend. :mad:[/QUOTE

Without it, or without it being a success, would Apple be here? Smartphones like they are today? Tablets, music, and more.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 15, 2012, 12:10 PM

Compare $375,000 to the dollar value of the industry it created. I'm sure it compares favorably with other such artifacts. What would one of James Watts' steam engines sell for?

peb123
Jun 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'm sure in the future people will be bringing their Great Grandfathers old PC to the Antiques Road Show!

rei101
Jun 15, 2012, 12:12 PM
Just...why?

There are a bunch of personality disorders that can fit your answer: Narcissism, borderline...

It is amazing paying that much money for a piece a plastic that does nothing not even regarding the history behind it.

I mean, imagine the person having that circuit board in a pedestal just to "show off". Imagine how much that person need for people approval that he/she needs to spend that amount of money. That is a personality disorder.

I mean, the Mona Lisa is a piece of art that is unique and extraordinary. This Apple One is not, it was replaced a few months later for another version that was better. But do not try to explain that to someone with that ego.

niuniu
Jun 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
There are a bunch of personality disorders that can fit your answer: Narcissism, borderline...

It is amazing paying that much money for a piece a plastic that does nothing not even regarding the history behind it.

I mean, imagine the person having that circuit board in a pedestal just to "show off". Imagine how much that person need for people approval that he/she needs to spend that amount of money. That is a personality disorder.

I mean, the Mona Lisa is a piece of art that is unique and extraordinary. This Apple One is not, it was replaced a few months later for another version that was better. But do not try to explain that to someone with that ego.

Worst pop-psy ever.

G51989
Jun 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
Just...why?

Because its a peice of history. You'd be surpirsed to see what really old Microsoft stuff goes for as well, not this much. But a good chunk of change as well.

Old PC's, Old Macs. Really early stuff like that. Is worth a ton of money. Not only is it super cool. Its a peioce of history.

These early Macs and PC's really got the ball rolling on everything we have now. Very early PCs and Macs are worth a ton of money these days, assuming they still work.

If I had the money I would love to own something like that.

nikhsub1
Jun 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
With tax in CA it was $700.00?

notjustjay
Jun 15, 2012, 12:15 PM

They wanted more than $555.55.

jonnysods
Jun 15, 2012, 12:18 PM
Nice little chunk of change.

JRomero
Front page? Really?

macnerd93
I understand that, which is why I stated "from my perspective", as if it were me going to buy the Apple I. I'm not a collector or an art buff, so I don't see the value in much of those things for me, which is why I question it.

Just like beauty, I believe that value is also in the eye of the beholder.

So obviously, it was worth the $375K to the buyer. If it were me, I wouldn't give $1 for it, simply because I have no use for an Apple I. Unless my intention was to resell it for an excessive amount of money. :p

you basically answered your own question LOL. You would get no benefit from it because as you stated your not a collector. So why do you need to keep questioning it? People have all different interests. This is like the holy grail for any serious Macintosh/Apple collector.

Just like I wouldn't even take the "Scream Painting for free" simply cos it gives me the creeps and it is rather poorly drawn to be honest, but it still sold at auction for $120 million. I'm more into renaissance art xD, far more required skill to me.

I collect Macs/Apple products, the chances of me ever finding one of these, well I reckon I have more chance of finding a sheet of Inverted Jenny Stamps LOL.

fromoxwithlove
Jun 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
give me a break

lifeinhd
Jun 15, 2012, 12:21 PM

They mentioned this in Jobs' biography. $666.66 was the cost of the components plus 50%.

parish
Jun 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
And people are moaning about the price of the new MBPs :p

Kaibelf
Jun 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
Just...why?
Why?

Answer: Because what people choose to do with their money is, frankly, none of your business.

eastercat
Jun 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
I knew macs kept their value, but didn't realize they appreciated. :D

It's a cool collector's item. I'm not sure it's what I'd want to collect, but different strokes for different folks.

LOL at the $666.66 price.

Jibbajabba
Jun 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
Why? Ask people who would pay $100k for a 80 year old Ford whereas a new one costs a third, I that :p

Stetrain
Jun 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
How do they expect anyone to take this seriously when the RAM is soldered straight to the logic board?!

;)

Drew n macs
Jun 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
I guess no one should complain about the new 15 macbook retina

Small White Car
Jun 15, 2012, 12:26 PM

Apparently just a byproduct of a little bit of Woz-OCD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I

The Mercurian
Jun 15, 2012, 12:27 PM

They mentioned this in Jobs' biography. $666.66 was the cost of the components plus 50%.

According to the BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18456746

Only about 200 Apple 1s were ever created. The computers were hand-built by Apple's co-founder Steve Wozniak and originally sold for $666.66 (£426) as a fully assembled circuit board.

He later said he picked a sum with a repeating number "because it was just an easier way to type".

Rocko1
Jun 15, 2012, 12:31 PM
I got a Commodore Vic 20 that will sweep the floor with that thing. Bidding starts at $1000.

lkrupp
Jun 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
I wonder what the first Dell off the line would sell for. Probably assembled from parts by Michael Dell himself in his dorm room. I guessing it would go for maybe $.0.50 on a good day. :eek:

Panther Al
Jun 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
No one asked the big question:

So, Whats the geekbench?

Gasu E.
Jun 15, 2012, 12:43 PM

It's sort of like the Ark of the Covenant. Which also provided an amazing Unboxing experience. :D

SandboxGeneral
Jun 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
you basically answered your own question LOL. You would get no benefit from it because as you stated your not a collector. So why do you need to keep questioning it? People have all different interests. This is like the holy grail for any serious Macintosh/Apple collector.

Just like I wouldn't even take the "Scream Painting for free" simply cos it gives me the creeps and it is rather poorly drawn to be honest, but it still sold at auction for $120 million. I'm more into renaissance art xD, far more required skill to me.

I collect Macs/Apple products, the chances of me ever finding one of these, well I reckon I have more chance of finding a sheet of Inverted Jenny Stamps LOL.

My question was rhetorical.

smithrh
Jun 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
Now, who is selling the original Apple I packaging?

Trick question.

Navdakilla
Jun 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
Ballin

sulpfiction
Jun 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
"8K bytes RAM"

Crazy how far we've come!

BornAgainApple
Jun 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
Just...why?
I bought a new iPhone 2G when it first came out. It's still in the wrapper, and will stay that way for as long as I'm around. Yes, I paid too much for it, but I felt at the time that it could hold some sort of historic value.

eyebex
Jun 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
over 56,000 % return

better than aapl stock return from the same time (mere 14,000%)

G51989
Jun 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=iStudentUK;15050211]Over stating it a bit aren't you?!

Shame I only had $374,000 to spend. :mad:[/QUOTE

Without it, or without it being a success, would Apple be here? Smartphones like they are today? Tablets, music, and more.

Yes, someone else would have thought of everything.

Geekbabe
Jun 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
Sigh... One must remember the time frame in which this was released.So many young, idealistic people with so much hope for their lives & our world. I'd hazard a guess that the unknown collector might remember those times. He/she might well have bought not only a piece of computing history but also a memory of a time when the future seemed bright indeed.

JHankwitz
Jun 15, 2012, 01:08 PM

Like diamonds or artwork. You show off to your friends that you have so much excess money that you can afford to buy and just look at them.

ReallyOldGuy
Jun 15, 2012, 01:19 PM

read the book

BornAgainMac
Jun 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
That machine sparked a change that changed the world. That is an incredible deal. Those days were fun if you had a computer in the 70's and early 80's. It is a shame a lot of people missed out on that era.

Edsel
Jun 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
"A fool and his money are soon parted."

What is the current market value of the first GE, DuMont, or RCA television set?

Macwick
Jun 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
Actually it was me that purchased it. And I can tell you that Safari seems to be much snappier now.

TheMacBookPro
Jun 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
Is AppleCare included? If not, it's worth only $374,500 at the most. Those parts can't be cheap to repair out of warranty!

champ01
Jun 15, 2012, 01:36 PM

Since you can't take someones soul... One must pay in full to the devil if he dares taking the forbidden fruit. :D

G5isAlive
Jun 15, 2012, 01:42 PM

what more needs to be done? didnt you just define a collectable? what, you never had baseball cards or ?

Edsel
Jun 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
Sigh... One must remember the time frame in which this was released.So many young, idealistic people with so much hope for their lives & our world. I'd hazard a guess that the unknown collector might remember those times. He/she might well have bought not only a piece of computing history but also a memory of a time when the future seemed bright indeed.

The 1970's sucked. High unemployment, gas lines, high inflation, Disco, surrendered to Viet Cong, Chevy Corvette = 155HP, and more Disco.....

But, South West Technical Products had a terrific PC that predated Apple.:)

Nostromo
Jun 15, 2012, 01:43 PM
The buyer will likely have it framed and hung next to his Hockney.

Nostromo
Jun 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
Wish I had them both :-D

I do have a JOINER made by myself of David himself!!! (I was a art student in London and he allowed me to take various pics while at a presentation of his works in London, it was for one of my projects, my art teacher almost died on the spot when I presented my work! :D ) maybe in a few years I can sell it to buy an original of them both :D

Lucky you! I love Hockney's work!

jacob-07
Jun 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Pshh... Doesn't even support retina

theluggage
Jun 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
How do they expect anyone to take this seriously when the RAM is soldered straight to the logic board?!
;)

Plus, where's the 20mA current loop interface? S100 bus? No pro is going to buy a computer that won't connect to a Teletype 43! What about optical storage - what am I going to do with my punched tape version of Colossal Cave?

I'm sure you could pick up a fully-specced Altair for les that $200,000. Lame.

(Seriously, though, you could probably solder more RAM piggy-back onto the existing chips, snip and bend up the chip select pins and run patch wires to the address bus, via a bit logic hanging off on a bit of Veroboard. OTOH it was nerve-wracking enough doing that sort of thing to a computer that cost a few hundred, let alone a few hundred k... You'd need a smaller soldering iron to do it on a retina MBP, though).

Nostromo
Pshh... Doesn't even support retina

The Hockney supports the retina... of the eye.

kgreene

;)

ACTUALLY if you look closely you'll see all the chips are socketed! :)

G5isAlive
Jun 15, 2012, 02:09 PM

The Bill Gates Foundation bought it for their lobby. They needed the tax write off after donating billions to charity.

You dont know who bought or what else they do with their money. I dont see the need to drag whoever it is down why do you?

barkomatic
Jun 15, 2012, 02:14 PM

That's a bit of an overstatement. While indeed a historic artifact, this computer doesn't even come close to being one of the most important artifacts in world history. If you think it is, then you really need to take a world history class.

danahn17
Jun 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
It's sort of like the Ark of the Covenant. Which also provided an amazing Unboxing experience. :D

Like the Ark of the Covenant, the Apple 1 will also melt your face off with its blazing CPU speed of 1MHz :D

Schmitty11
Jun 15, 2012, 02:16 PM

Apple may in fact be Lucifer himself :eek:

Bahamut Eos
Jun 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
Will it run Lion?

brdeveloper
Jun 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
A high-end Retina MBP autographed by its current designer and also Tim Cook would propably cost a lot less. Perhaps would be a good long term investment.

splashnader
Jun 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
The fact that the machine is still functional is amazing. :p

iReality85
Jun 15, 2012, 03:07 PM
Take a look at those capacitors, baby! :cool:

Love it.

G5isAlive
Jun 15, 2012, 03:42 PM

I think its a conspiracy of a biotechnology company to accumulate samples of Steve Jobs DNA and clone him. You did say hand-built

paul4339
Jun 15, 2012, 04:08 PM

With tax in CA it was $700.00?

The original batch was sold for $500 + 1/3 markup by Byte Shop (computer store), bringing it to $666.66.

RalfTheDog
Jun 15, 2012, 04:16 PM

You could play text pong.

Note: That is not why I purchased it. I am putting it in the library, next to my collection of pictures of dogs playing poker.

Will it run Lion?

The answer to that is yes, very slowly and assuming it had a great deal of external storage. Any computer that runs Turring code can simulate any other computer that runs Turring code. Output will be limited.

superman23
Jun 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
The fact that the machine is still functional is amazing. :p

not really. if stored in a cool, dry place you'd only need to replace the electrolytic capacitors due to age. maybe check over the solder joints.

now if it were made in 2012, forget it. lead free standards = guaranteed disposable electronics

Glideslope
Jun 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
Why?

Because they can. ;)

CrazyRussian540
Jun 15, 2012, 05:22 PM
Anyone know the serial number of this one?

Joe-Diver
Jun 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
I have a customer, who worked with Woz, during his time at HP. On my second visit to him we talked about older Macs. I waxed lyrical about my original Macintosh and he listened intently. He then told me that he had a collection of old Macs out in the garage that he would show me sometime. On my third visit, he duly obliged.

Neatly laid out on three shelves were 6 Apple II computers, 4 of which worked fine. He then pulled a fabric cover off the stuff on the bottom shelf to reveal three Apple I computers. I was assured that two of them were fully functional and that he also had complete paperwork and packaging for them. Was he not a very ill, wheelchair-bound man, i would have asked to see them running.

I was then shown an email conversation between him and Mr Wozniak. They had remained in touch with each other and Woz had promised that he would fix up his broken II's and I, if possible and would be sure to pack his soldering iron if he was ever visiting the country.

So, what you're saying...is you know where there are 3 Apple I's, covered by a sheet and protected by an old man in a wheelchair?

SteveG4Cube
Jun 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
What a sucker, they could've gotten a replica for a fraction of what they spent.

http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=17

brdeveloper
Jun 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
What a sucker, they could've gotten a replica for a fraction of what they spent.

http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=17

He could finance a startup business for creating a concept for a new computer. Not enough money to develop the final hardware, but a prototype and some 3d renderings would be feasible.

THX1139
Jun 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
How many artifacts can you point to that represent the starting point of a total revolution in how humans communicate and process information?

Rosetta Stone
Guttenberg printing press
Invention of the alphabet
Telephone
Radio
Television
Etc.
Etc.

Computers

powers74
Jun 15, 2012, 08:37 PM

Haha! That's Steve for ya!

kdarling
Jun 15, 2012, 08:57 PM
How many artifacts can you point to that represent the starting point of a total revolution in how humans communicate and process information?

While an overstatement, it did start the personal PC revolution witch with time will be recognized and placed in history.

Neither the Apple I nor the Apple II started any revolution.

They were just a couple of choices in a whole slew of boards and personal computers that came out at almost the same time. Because of their high price, they weren't the most popular choice, not by a long shot. I don't think the II ever got higher than about 16% of the market.

Other, far more affordable computers, such as the Commodores, Ataris and TRS-80s, are the ones that first brought computers into the homes of millions of ordinary people. Shortly after, the PC clones appeared and dominated for decades.

What they did do, was enable Apple Computer to work on other, more popular devices later on.

pookynubber
Jun 15, 2012, 10:23 PM

You're asking a question - but it's really a statement in the form of a question. You don't see the value in it, and you really don't plan to (as you also stated with art and collectables) are you really trying to be persuaded? How about just say "It doesn't make sense to me." Because by saying "Why" you really mean the former. Sorry for the rant, I just have a bug about people saying what they mean or meaning what they say. It's just more efficient.

IJ Reilly
Jun 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
The BBC notes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18456746) that only about 50 Apple 1's still exist and only a handful actually work.

This means either that something is possessive of "Apple 1," or "Apple 1 is still exist."

I've been working on my super powers to allow me to remotely assassinate superfluous apostrophes, but no dice so far.

justperry
Jun 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
Apple I = $375,000

Raspberry Pi = $25

100.000 times faster yet 10.000 times less expensive.Amazing:eek:

But I do see the value here, especially if He/She is a billionaire with money to spend.

Konrad
Jun 16, 2012, 02:18 AM
LOL. Well, this takes an ultimate rich geek. With nothing interesting to do. What a bore.

chatin
Jun 16, 2012, 03:53 AM
The Apple 1 is technically the plan Woz gave away at the West Coast Computer Fair for free. A few years back kits were sold on eBay along with the plans making the Apple 1 less rare than these two dueling bidders think. :eek:

SpyderBite
Jun 16, 2012, 04:09 AM
Never underestimate the amount of money a collector will pay for something rare. The sale of a single comic book paid for my first 4 years of college and a second sale allowed me to buy my first car in cash.

Haters who don't understand the price tag on an Apple l computer should take a look at more frivolous sales like a piece of toast with the similarity of a popular deity burned in to it.

Jynto
Jun 16, 2012, 07:05 AM
If I ever get a time machine, I will add this to my list of destinations. I buy an original Apple I from 1976.

But that's not all. As my thanks to the company I'd leave a modern day iPhone in a bar.

For all I know, that's what actually happened, and they've been reverse-engineering it ever since.

iSayuSay
Jun 16, 2012, 08:46 AM
Hey, moron who bought this:

You can buy a top of the line retina display macbook pro instead. Much better value, cheaper and more functional!

Really? People take this comment seriously? Oh right, I made fun of insane fan boys with too much money while promoting fanboyism. My bad.

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure the moronic buyer who bought this could afford to buy dozens of highest spec Retina MBP and call it a day.

Jiz
Jun 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
If you already had all the toys, nice house, Ferrari etc. this would be something nice to have too.

At these prices, the item will be well cared for and last thru the millennium.

Wonder what one of their phone hacking blue boxes go for now?

Supermule
Jun 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
This thread is running in circles now. Only one important question remains...

Will it blend?

Manzanito
Jun 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
Is that the new Mac Pro intended for 2013?

paul4339
Jun 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
The Bill Gates Foundation bought it for their lobby. They needed the tax write off after donating billions to charity.

I think that Samsung's R&D department bought it ... ;)

theanimaster
Jun 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
DAMN... that ~IS~ some nice piece of work (judging by the image)! Compared to my SHARP-MZ 80-A... the PCB on that Apple I looks more sophisticated --chips looks smaller! Keep in mind the MZ 80-A came out much later!!

lifeinhd
Jun 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
I wonder what the first Dell off the line would sell for. Probably assembled from parts by Michael Dell himself in his dorm room.

Actually, you may not be far off. From Wikipedia:

Dell traces its origins to 1984, when Michael Dell created PCs Limited while a student at the University of Texas at Austin. The dorm-room headquartered company sold IBM PC-compatible computers built from stock components.

fixmymac
Jun 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
So, what you're saying...is you know where there are 3 Apple I's, covered by a sheet and protected by an old man in a wheelchair?

Your powers of deduction impress me. You will now need to hatch a fiendish and/or dastardly plan to extract the information from me :-)

drblank
Jun 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
I guess maybe I should have held onto my 1977 Apple II+ with two floppys, monitor and a Microsoft C/PM card with a handwritten reciept by Bill Gates himself. Maybe that might have been worth even more money. At least it was working and it was the first generation Dual Boot operating system Apple Computer with 64K RAM, TWO working floppy drives and I even had Visicalc, Wordstar, a some game controllers and a couple of games like pong. Heck, maybe I would have sold it for $500K. Whatcha think? Damn... I shoulda/woulda/coulda......

----------

Is that the new Mac Pro intended for 2013?

Yeah, if you had a reciept with Job's signature and it has to be only the motherboard. Any more than that, the price goes down significantly. :-)

Joe-Diver
Jun 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Your powers of deduction impress me. You will now need to hatch a fiendish and/or dastardly plan to extract the information from me :-)

Friend....buddy.....I hear Scotland is absolutely lovely this time of year....a beautiful country with truly wonderful people.....I've always wanted to visit and experience the warmth and hospitality! I can think of a million reasons to cross the pond and stop in.....

iMacFarlane
Jun 16, 2012, 08:36 PM

Maybe they were $1000 each, but they had a "buy two, get one free" sale.

lifeinhd
Jun 17, 2012, 08:02 AM
I guess maybe I should have held onto my 1977 Apple II+ with two floppys, monitor and a Microsoft C/PM card with a handwritten reciept by Bill Gates himself. Maybe that might have been worth even more money. At least it was working and it was the first generation Dual Boot operating system Apple Computer with 64K RAM, TWO working floppy drives and I even had Visicalc, Wordstar, a some game controllers and a couple of games like pong. Heck, maybe I would have sold it for $500K. Whatcha think? Damn... I shoulda/woulda/coulda......

----------

Yeah, if you had a reciept with Job's signature and it has to be only the motherboard. Any more than that, the price goes down significantly. :-)

The receipt might be worth a little money, but I doubt the computer is. I had a //e that I sold recently, with Apple /// monitor and Apple Disk ][, for $150. And that took awhile to sell.

G5isAlive
Jun 17, 2012, 08:14 AM
The Apple 1 is technically the plan Woz gave away at the West Coast Computer Fair for free. A few years back kits were sold on eBay along with the plans making the Apple 1 less rare than these two dueling bidders think. :eek:

its not the design or the kit that has worth, its that it was actually hand made at that time by one of the original owners of Apple.

its buying history. not a knock off.

thewitt
Jun 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
Maybe I should offer mine to the next highest bidder....

chatin
Jun 17, 2012, 01:21 PM
its not the design or the kit that has worth, its that it was actually hand made at that time by one of the original owners of Apple.

its buying history. not a knock off.

My working 1 built according to the original Wozniak plan.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7387853866_d62f2ccb48_z.jpg

fixmymac
Jun 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
Friend....buddy.....I hear Scotland is absolutely lovely this time of year....a beautiful country with truly wonderful people.....I've always wanted to visit and experience the warmth and hospitality! I can think of a million reasons to cross the pond and stop in.....

Scotland is beautiful every day of the year. Having just bought myself a Canon 600D, i am spending lots of time driving down roads i have never been down before and finding amazing scenes. We are a small country, but i have many more roads to follow. This country is meandering down the road to Independence just now and i think the world will want to visit here once we get ourselves sorted out and start marketing ourselves properly.

Don't you mean 1,000,003 reasons? :D

SandynJosh
Jun 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
It wasn't until I saw the photo that I realized I have one of those in my basement. Maybe I should put it on eBay.

AppleScruff1
Jun 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
Who bought it? LTD? :D:D:D:D:D

AppleMacFinder
Jun 18, 2012, 01:21 AM
No one asked the big question:

So, Whats the geekbench?

We can be sure, it is lower than 135 (iPod touch with Samsung ARM 1176JZ(F)-S 412 MHz)

Probably 1 :D

subrain
Jun 18, 2012, 05:04 AM
The Apple I computer is paid at 374.500 USD (http://submad.com/809-the-apple-i-computer-is-paid-at-374500-usd-12.html)

GenesisST
Jun 18, 2012, 07:38 AM

It belongs in a museum!

----------

We can be sure, it is lower than 135 (iPod touch with Samsung ARM 1176JZ(F)-S 412 MHz)

Probably 1 :D

ceil(geekbenchScore) == 1

pondosinatra
Jun 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
I'm guessing those caps aren't original ;)

Shadyriley
Jun 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
Sold for $666. Logo is apple with a bite out of it reoresenting sin. Apple is a company of the devil.

you people smh
Jun 18, 2012, 02:44 PM

LOL!!!!

Thanks for that, i needed a good laugh.

kdarling
Jun 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
Sold for $666. Logo is apple with a bite out of it reoresenting sin. Apple is a company of the devil.

Heh. Must be:

“If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath.” Revelation 14:9,10

Apple or Google worship?

“He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” Revelation 13:16-17

iTunes or Google Wallet account?

Obviously we should never buy an Apple or Google hat, because that would put their mark on our forehead.

We should also be very wary of any plans to embed NFC chips in our right hands! :)