Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Prefer a free app, but willing to pay for a quality alternative to the default music app. The main needs are:

1. Not a lot of bloat. I don't need all kinds of syncing features and cloud stuff and ads and anything besides the basics (standard music controls, playlists, you know what I mean). The ultra basicness of the default app is excellent, if only it had the option to play from folders and not requiring a sync to the library, which brings us to the main point:
2. Plays music from folders, without needing the library.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Prefer a free app, but willing to pay for a quality alternative to the default music app. The main needs are:

1. Not a lot of bloat. I don't need all kinds of syncing features and cloud stuff and ads and anything besides the basics (standard music controls, playlists, you know what I mean). The ultra basicness of the default app is excellent, if only it had the option to play from folders and not requiring a sync to the library, which brings us to the main point:
2. Plays music from folders, without needing the library.

I think iSub music streamer is the best for this, but you specifically said you didn't want cloud features, so Goodplayer then?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isub-music-streamer/id362920532?mt=8

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
besides the basics (standard music controls, playlists, you know what I mean)

I don't get it. Playlists?

Isn't that the opposite of something that "plays from folders?"

Not sure what to suggest here. There are a ton of USB-stick styled folder apps that will keep and play music from folders, but they wouldn't have playlists.

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Ya I want to organize my music within folders on my iPhone, and play them through a lightweight player that doesn't sacrifice standard features like playlist functionality. So I might have a folder for each artist, with subfolders for each album, and decide I want a playlist with songs from several different folders.

It's pretty important that the player doesn't rely on syncing or the library. I intend to drag and drop music from my PC to folders on the iPhone (my computer can access folders on my iPhone), bypassing the need to sync but also eliminating the ability to use the default music player.

I will check out the app you mentioned, but any suggestions for relevant music player apps are very welcome.

What I don't need is anything I didn't mention. I don't want wireless syncing/streaming etc etc etc.

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Any ideas? I can't really believe that nobody has developed alternatives to the default music player in iPhone...? There are countless alternatives to the default player on Android...

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Well I said I was willing to pay money, so I solved the problem by buying PwnTunes.

Not to be a negative nancy, but the jailbreak experience is a testament to how not to make a phone. Everything about jailbreaking is centered around forcing the iPhone to do what Android takes for granted. No alternative music apps, what??? There's dozens on the Android market. BiteSMS is the pinnacle of texting on iPhone??? It's like the beta version of a random Android Market SMS app from years ago. Free market apps on android top what you have to jailbreak the iPhone + pay just to try to accomplish. Very dissapointing.

I switched to the iPhone from the EVO 4g, which I hacked relentlessly for FUN, not because I needed basic features you would expect from a phone 2 years ago. I thought the iPhone would be a fun new experience, but instead its a shiny toy built by cavemen, and its dissapointing that even after I jailbreak the thing I still have to spend money on low-rent apps just to accomplish common-sense functionality.

Anyways, solution = spend money on an app called PwnTunes, and use the default music player (which, being from the stone age, can't access music by folders).

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Op why don't you organise your music into playlists in iTunes which is a very simple task then sync the playlists over.

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Short answer: I don't use iTunes, and I already said I'm for playlist functionality.

Long answer:

1. I use Ubuntu, therefore iTunes isn't an option. We are out of the stone age, so switching to a stone age operating system (windows) just to use a single piece of stone age malware (iTunes) in order to use my stone age phone (iPhone) isn't even an option on my radar. Yes, that makes me stubborn. Stubbornness is the cause of human progress. It was stubborn cavemen who didn't settle for not having fire. It was stubborn scientists who didn't settle for not having electricity and running water. People have always mocked the minority who demands progress, and yet it is the minority who has advanced civilization. People are mostly retarded barbarians who don't challenge mainstream ideas because they'd rather feel accepted. I don't care about being accepted by retarded barbarians, I care about human progress and quality of living, which means thinking outside the box, refusing to accept the status quo (which is really what jailbreaking is all about in the first place) and thus inviting enterprising entreprenuers to serve me (like the guy who made PwnTunes).
2. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, about philosophy and economics and politics and for some reason when I was dumb enough to bother with iTunes, when I changed my audiobook files from "music" or whatever to "audiobook" they would dissappear into oblivion on my phone and yet still take up space, and I would have to go through a HUGE hassle trying to find and remove each on individually only to re-add them as normal music files which mucked up a whole lot of stuff in the process.
3. I already said I'm all for playlists. I also need the functionality of choosing to play non-synced files from folders, which has been basic functionality on Android for years. Not that I'm an Android fanboy, but it completely blows iPhone out of the water in every respect. I switched to the iPhone 4s because I got it in the box for $100 and figured it would be an exciting new toy to hack. Instead, I'm learning that it's all about the money and that the entire purpose of jailbreaking is to make the phone as close as possible to an Android. Coming from Android, I can say that is an objective fact. All the most important and usually paid jailbreak apps and features for iPhone are standard and free on Android, which leads me to believe the goal of jailbreaking is to make the device more modern, to give it common sense functionality a la Android. $30 for MyWi? That **** is free on Android, there's at least 5 free apps for it. $6 for PwnTunes? Stock functionality on Android. Pay for BiteSMS??? It's literally like the beta version of the very first (free by the way) SMS apps for Android from years ago. Look at GoLauncher EX, look at GoSMS Pro (both free), look at PlayerPro, QuickPic, Vignette. That is how phones should work.

So iTunes isn't an option, and I need playlist functionality, which I had already mentioned so pardon me for being confused by your question. On the flipside, nobody has been able to recommend an app that fits my basic need. Is this because no such app exists for iPhone? In the meantime, I've "solved" the problem by paying for PwnTunes, which is a workaround at best.

Last edited:

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Short answer: I don't use iTunes, and I already said I'm for playlist functionality.

Long answer:

1. I use Ubuntu, therefore iTunes isn't an option. We are out of the stone age, so switching to a stone age operating system (windows) just to use a single piece of stone age malware (iTunes) in order to use my stone age phone (iPhone) isn't even an option on my radar. Yes, that makes me stubborn. Stubbornness is the cause of human progress. It was stubborn cavemen who didn't settle for not having fire. It was stubborn scientists who didn't settle for not having electricity and running water. People have always mocked the minority who demands progress, and yet it is the minority who has advanced civilization. People are mostly retarded barbarians who don't challenge mainstream ideas because they'd rather feel accepted. I don't care about being accepted by retarded barbarians, I care about human progress and quality of living, which means thinking outside the box, refusing to accept the status quo (which is really what jailbreaking is all about in the first place) and thus inviting enterprising entreprenuers to serve me (like the guy who made PwnTunes).
2. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, about philosophy and economics and politics and for some reason when I was dumb enough to bother with iTunes, when I changed my audiobook files from "music" or whatever to "audiobook" they would dissappear into oblivion on my phone and yet still take up space, and I would have to go through a HUGE hassle trying to find and remove each on individually only to re-add them as normal music files which mucked up a whole lot of stuff in the process.
3. I already said I'm all for playlists. I also need the functionality of choosing to play non-synced files from folders, which has been basic functionality on Android for years. Not that I'm an Android fanboy, but it completely blows iPhone out of the water in every respect. I switched to the iPhone 4s because I got it in the box for $100 and figured it would be an exciting new toy to hack. Instead, I'm learning that it's all about the money and that the entire purpose of jailbreaking is to make the phone as close as possible to an Android. Coming from Android, I can say that is an objective fact. All the most important and usually paid jailbreak apps and features for iPhone are standard and free on Android, which leads me to believe the goal of jailbreaking is to make the device more modern, to give it common sense functionality a la Android. $30 for MyWi? That **** is free on Android, there's at least 5 free apps for it. $6 for PwnTunes? Stock functionality on Android. Pay for BiteSMS??? It's literally like the beta version of the very first (free by the way) SMS apps for Android from years ago. Look at GoLauncher EX, look at GoSMS Pro (both free), look at PlayerPro, QuickPic, Vignette. That is how phones should work.

So iTunes isn't an option, and I need playlist functionality, which I had already mentioned so pardon me for being confused by your question. On the flipside, nobody has been able to recommend an app that fits my basic need. Is this because no such app exists for iPhone? In the meantime, I've "solved" the problem by paying for PwnTunes, which is a workaround at best.

Please note that my intention is not to come off like a jerk. If you got the phone for a mere $100 (compared to what it retails for and resells for) why don't you sell it and purchase something you'll be happy with? I understand you got it for a great price, but you seem to feel very negatively about it. A 4S retains enough value that you'll get more than your money back and you can get an Android phone, or the Nokia phone that people seem to like, or pretty much anything other than what you have. Just a thought.

I mean if I felt so passionately about the shortcomings of a product and there was something else out there, I'd try to get it.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Please note that my intention is not to come off like a jerk. If you got the phone for a mere $100 (compared to what it retails for and resells for) why don't you sell it and purchase something you'll be happy with? I understand you got it for a great price, but you seem to feel very negatively about it. A 4S retains enough value that you'll get more than your money back and you can get an Android phone, or the Nokia phone that people seem to like, or pretty much anything other than what you have. Just a thought.

I mean if I felt so passionately about the shortcomings of a product and there was something else out there, I'd try to get it.

good idea.

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
As well, my intention is not to come off as a jerk. It is interesting that instead of suggesting apps (which is what the thread is inquiring), people think it is more productive to ask WHY. Why is not relevant to the fact that I am, in fact, searching for an app to suit my needs.

I'm not into following such rabbit trails, as they are in my experience. One off-topic question leads to an off topic answer by the OP and people feel I've therefore redirected the thread. This thread is not about why my needs are as they are, the thread is about an app I'm in search of. If you have suggestions for apps that fit the OP, please contribute them as suggestions. If you want to know WHY, IM me I'll be happy to discuss the details of why.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why is not relevant to the fact that I am, in fact, searching for an app to suit my needs.
Sure it is. If you don't care for the way Apple does things then why are you trying to make a square peg fit a round hole? Why not use Android? It has plenty of options for doing what you're looking to do as well as other benefits for your needs and preferences. You've argued this yourself in your posts above.

I can't really believe that nobody has developed alternatives to the default music player in iPhone...? There are countless alternatives to the default player on Android...
Different products filling different niches. Apple consumers typically want appliances. Pretty appliances.

Last edited:

nightkitty

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
"usb flash drive" by "imoreapps" will probably do what you want.
this is what I use, it works perfectly, but it doesn't play flac files.
good luck psd

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
"usb flash drive" by "imoreapps" will probably do what you want.
this is what I use, it works perfectly, but it doesn't play flac files.
good luck psd

Good god man, you're brilliant. That may be exactly what I'm looking for, apparently it's also what everyone else was looking for. There are several similar apps, do you have any idea which is the original/most often updated/least buggy?

why are you trying to make a square peg fit a round hole?
You might try asking the millions of other infuriated and unsatisfied people who jailbreak their iPhones. My first thought was "If you don't know the answer, what are you doing jailbreaking your phone?" My next thought was "It's called JAILBREAKING for a reason. You root an Android, you JAILBREAK an iPhone." This thing's locked down worse than prison, the only way to make it useful is to free it to the open world of non-officially-approved features and functionality. You might also recall that some of iOS' popular features were ripped from devs who didn't settle for the hand they were dealt. It's important to note Android's role in the iPhone dev community, evidenced by the fact that all the most popular apps/features for jailbreaking, and even some official appstore apps, are attempts at mimmicking apps/features Android users take for granted. The MOST valued jailbreak features/apps are paid, without exception they are all standard on Android. Pictures for contacts, intelliscreen features, custom launchers, mywi, modern sms apps, ability to download files directly from the browser, theming, etc etc etc etc etc.

Saying I hate this phone and should therefore switch to Android is like telling the Patriot he hates America and should therefore move. On the contrary brother, I LOVE the potential this phone has, which is why I invest so much time and effort into fixing it. Again, it's pure coincidence that Android is currently the model/example of how a phone is improved by open markets.

Personally, I bought the square peg thinking it would be fun to tame its sharp, awkward corners into something useful in the modern age of round holes. Along with millions of other jailbreakers, I've been pleased to make this phone useful. I do not agree that settling for whatever locked-down mess I'm handed is the solution. It is people like myself and millions of unsatisfied customers who resort to jailbreaking and point out the problems and seek out answers who are responsible for progress. Everyone else is just money in someone's pocket. At this point, I'd rather be money in the pocket of likeminded devs than money in the pocket of some prison guard for Apple.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Just a quick comment...you mention stone age and want to play music from folders? That is really 2002 isn't it? What doesn't tagging and organising by genre, artist etc. which you can already do not work? Are you even aware of the smartplaylist feature (I know you are on ubuntu just asking).

I am just curious as, regardless of the apps/games I've invested in the ios ecosystem, the one killer feature-for me-is the itunes/iphone integration and the smartplaylist feature.

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I think the solution was a "usb flash drive" app, so considering this thread answered I'll follow your rabbit trail.

you mention stone age and want to play music from folders? That is really 2002 isn't it?
Sadly, it may blow the mind of unquestioning iPhone owners that after 2002 people still prefer options over jail. I say again, it's called jailbreaking for a reason. You hack and root various things, but to my knowledge the term jailbreak is unique to iOS. Thankfully, society isn't fooled so easy and a massive community of millions of unsatisfied customers and enterprising entreprenuers, unwilling to settle, has built up to make this shiny toy into something useful. Some important things to note are:

1. By far, the most valued jailbreak features/apps are taken for granted by Android users. This doesn't mean Android is the pinnacle, as surely there will come better technology in the future. But it is important to point out that the goal of jailbreaking is to make the iPhone more like Android, in other words, to make it less locked down and more useful, more common sense for lack of a better word.
2. Even Apple has acknowledged the value of jailbreak features/apps (implicitly acknowledging the superiority of Android since the goal of jailbreak apps/features is to get that much closer to Android) by ripping them, banning the competition, and making them proprietary.

If you don't use folders to organize your music, I can understand why you can't comprehend the value. The rest of us aren't willing to settle into Apple's little proprietary locked down caveman "solution". Smartplaylist? Fine, use it, it's a great option for people who don't prefer other options. Notice the operative word is option, so don't eliminate the option to use folders for those of us who recognize the value of working outside a proprietary locked down environment. Does that mean we don't like iPhone? No, it means we recognize the value of progress. iPhone can and will be improved, despite Apple's efforts to convince people that the stone age was better.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You could have just used iFile instead of ranting off forever.

I easily add/delete and create folders via ssh using cyberduck on PC and Mac.

I play music more from it than iTunes.

Last edited:

.psd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Brilliant! I already have iFile, and Linux doesn't have a problem accessing my iPhone as a drive, so this is the ultimate solution for me. Now how do I make playlists in iFile? I need to be able to play lists combining music from different folders.

keevill

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Anyone know how to make playlists for ifile to play?

I too would like to be able to make a playlist of audiobooks I have transferred over to my JB Iphone using Ifiles. All I want to do is to select a few mp3 files and have them play one after the other without having to click on the next file when the previous one completes.
I don't use Itunes BTW.
-keevill-

keevill

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
A workaround is to use some software to merge mp3 files into one file and then there is no need to constantly click on the next file.... just thought of that.
There's plenty of software for that depending on your OS.

-keevill-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.