Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
What is the best way to present logos/identities/websites to clients?

For what it's worth, we're a small ad agency - as in 6 of us, total.

Our principal has always used white foam core to mount printouts — I think that looks cheap.

I've always used black matte board.

Both of us are pretty old-school.

Anyway, is that still the best way to make identity presentations? (We presented a logo and other print media - no website yet).

Does anyone do presentations on an iPad? Projector? Monitor? Some other way? Pros and cons? I'm just curious.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If they are coming to our office we'll do a keynote up on the HDTV. But black board is still the go to in most cases.

dank414

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I'd say Keynote as well, but you better know how to work it in Keynote. A bad Keynote presentation can ruin it just the same. The better advice is use the tool you're most comfortable with or learn the other.

supabooma

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2006
I'd say mount up on black board for 2 reasons.

There's something intrinsically valuable about seeing concepts on paper. In my opinion, it feels more genuine, conceptual in nature. Nothing locked in stone. It's also indicative that you took the time to print it out, and make it look nice for presentation purposes.

Second, you can pin up your concepts as you're telling your story. It allows your client to focus on what you're presenting, but still allowing them to see the entire story at any given moment. You lose the ability to do that in a keynote.

I work for a purely digital agency, yet we still do most presentations (it ultimately depends on the nature of the work though) in physical form. It seems to lead to more of a "conversation" with the client, than just presenting work.

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
I'd say mount up on black board for 2 reasons.

There's something intrinsically valuable about seeing concepts on paper. In my opinion, it feels more genuine, conceptual in nature. Nothing locked in stone. It's also indicative that you took the time to print it out, and make it look nice for presentation purposes.

Second, you can pin up your concepts as you're telling your story. It allows your client to focus on what you're presenting, but still allowing them to see the entire story at any given moment. You lose the ability to do that in a keynote.

I work for a purely digital agency, yet we still do most presentations (it ultimately depends on the nature of the work though) in physical form. It seems to lead to more of a "conversation" with the client, than just presenting work.

Totally agree 100%.

I think it depends on usage, too. A lot of our clients are heavily print based so we show our work in the medium they are going to use it in — some logos and identity systems just die on from the screen to the printed page or vice versa. If it's a client that is rarely going to see their identity in print, maybe consider something on a screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.