Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
I've being having a problem with the RAM and the display in my MacBook Air - the display is an old problem, but the RAM problem only began to be noticeable yesterday, and appeared as a problem in the diagnostics tool.
It's a late 2010 model (the same case design as used currently) with the SSD chips rather than the drive. I contacted AppleCare, and explained the problem. Being a developer, I'm relatively tech savy, and had already done all the normal recommended things - reboot, reset, restore etc. I was told that from my description, the machine would likely be replaced under warranty as Apple are usually unable to do repairs on MacBook Airs.
Is this true? Surely parts like the RAM and the display are easily repairable?
If so, and they are to replace it, what will I end up with? I upgraded the CPU, RAM and SSD at purchase to it is heavily customised and I doubt they have one of the same in stock. Will they upgrade it to a 2011 model with the same or better specs?
I just quite like the 2010 model, and am wary about being moved up to a model that I don't have the same sense of reliability of.
Does anybody know what will happen? I still don't see why they can't repair it!

Sam

rygamble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Hi
I've being having a problem with the RAM and the display in my MacBook Air - the display is an old problem, but the RAM problem only began to be noticeable yesterday, and appeared as a problem in the diagnostics tool.
It's a late 2010 model (the same case design as used currently) with the SSD chips rather than the drive. I contacted AppleCare, and explained the problem. Being a developer, I'm relatively tech savy, and had already done all the normal recommended things - reboot, reset, restore etc. I was told that from my description, the machine would likely be replaced under warranty as Apple are usually unable to do repairs on MacBook Airs.
If so, and they are to replace it, what will I end up with? I upgraded the CPU, RAM and SSD at purchase to it is heavily customised and I doubt they have one of the same in stock. Will they upgrade it to a 2011 model with the same or better specs?
I just quite like the 2010 model, and am wary about being moved up to a model that I don't have the same sense of reliability of.

Sam

RAM is soldered onto the board.

mtreys

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
College Station, TX
Hi

Sam

The RAM and SSD of these MBA's aren't user-replaceable. Although the Apple techs probably could replace or fix them, it's just as easy for them to give you a new laptop. I don't think they'll give you a 2011 or 2012 model, but they will probably give you a 2010 that you have and throw in the upgrades that you added to it. Even if they did decide to give you a newer model with the same specs as your old model, be thrilled, there's nothing to worry about.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
The RAM and SSD of these MBA's aren't user-replaceable. Although the Apple techs probably could replace or fix them, it's just as easy for them to give you a new laptop. I don't think they'll give you a 2011 or 2012 model, but they will probably give you a 2010 that you have and throw in the upgrades that you added to it. Even if they did decide to give you a newer model with the same specs as your old model, be thrilled, there's nothing to worry about.

Hi
It's the display that's got the fault as well - not SSD. I just wondered if they'd really bother to go to the trouble of building me a custom air again using an old CPU. I just like the layout of the keyboard on this one, and don't want to go to the backlit layout like on my Pro - not as ergonomically comfortable to type on.
Sam

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
They will likely give you a refurb of the same model with the same or possibly slightly better specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.