PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Launch Standalone Podcast App with iOS 6

MacRumors
Jun 15, 2012, 02:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/apple-to-launch-standalone-podcast-app-with-ios-6/)

Earlier this week, AppAdvice noted (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/06/apparently-apples-breaking-up-part-of-itunes-in-ios-6) that three categories of content had disappeared from the iTunes app in iOS 6: Podcasts, Audiobooks, and iTunes U. Apple launched a dedicated iTunes U app (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/19/itunes-u-for-ipad-retools-the-learning-experience/) earlier this year, but the fate of the other content types in iOS 6 remained unclear.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios_5_ios_6_itunes_more.jpg

AllThingsD now reports (http://allthingsd.com/20120615/apple-gives-podcasts-a-gentle-push-out-of-itunes/) that Apple will also be launching a standalone app for podcasts in iOS 6, giving them greater visibility while simplifying the iTunes app that has become home to an increasingly large number of content categories.So why have podcasts disappeared from the new version of iTunes that Apple started showing to developers this week?

Because Apple plans on giving the recordings their own bit of digital turf.

People familiar with Apple's plans tell me that when its new iOS 6 software becomes widely available this fall, podcasts will have their own app, where users will be able to discover, download and play them on mobile devices. Users who access iTunes via laptop and desktop machines will still find them in that version of iTunes, though.Podcasts are one of the longest-tenured media types on Apple's portable devices, having been available through the iTunes Store since the release of iTunes 4.9 (http://www.macrumors.com/2005/06/28/itunes-4-9-now-available/) in mid-2005.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Standalone Podcast App with iOS 6 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/apple-to-launch-standalone-podcast-app-with-ios-6/)

Skika
Jun 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Ping???

nfl46
Jun 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Nice. More things to come.

Navdakilla
Jun 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Cool. Love listening to podcasts.

basesloaded190
Jun 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Still doesn't look any better than Downcast, so I think I will be sticking with that.

dagamer34
Jun 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Still doesn't look any better than Downcast, so I think I will be sticking with that.
You're not looking at tr Podcasts app, but the removal of podcast support in the iOS6 music app.

Howardchief
Jun 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
iWelcome this change. I like my podcasts. Tons of free content out there. UMPODCAST! \mm/

leon44
Jun 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
I like this!
Podcasts never really fitted in with iTunes, because they're free and like radio shows. I hope the new app is designed with streaming and subscriptions in mind, that'd be very nice

Megagator
Jun 15, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hopefully the new app will be completely independent from iTunes as far as downloading and syncing with other devices. Obviously should still sync with iTunes for backlog of podcasts...

ugahairydawgs
Jun 15, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hopefully this is a sign of a complete shift in mentality in terms of the iTunes model and they eventually move to blow up that behemoth too.

Small White Car
Jun 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
Cool. Being stuffed into the 'more' tab is never a great way to treat a feature if you want people to care about it.

Jamie0003
Jun 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Apple should do the exact same thing on the Mac, get rid of iTunes and make separate apps including built in stores for Music, Podcasts, Videos and bring iBooks to the Mac.

It makes more sense on a user experience standpoint as it would be consolidating the apps like on iOS.

It also makes no sense to keep the standard iTunes App in iOS, they could just build the iTunes store into the Music App.

William Gates
Jun 15, 2012, 02:32 PM
I believe AllThingsD, but Podcasts is most definitely still in the Music app and iTunes app in iOS 6. As well as Audiobooks and iTunes U.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/berrythrills/IMG_1646.png

scottlitch
Jun 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
Apple should do the exact same thing on the Mac, get rid of iTunes and make separate apps including built in stores for Music, Podcasts, Videos and bring iBooks to the Mac.

It makes more sense on a user experience standpoint as it would be consolidating the apps like on iOS.

It also makes no sense to keep the standard iTunes App in iOS, they could just build the iTunes store into the Music App.

I think that's a great idea. I don't think it will happen because PC users would have to download more applications onto their PCs.

miamialley
Well what are the movies and tv shows doing in that iOS 6 iTunes app? I thought they live in the videos app now, as of iOS 5?

adildacoolset
back to the iOS reports on macrumors. It was nice for mac to take the spotlight in the last few days

Jamie0003
Jun 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
I think that's a great idea. I don't think it will happen because PC users would have to download more applications onto their PCs.

Maybe keep iTunes as it is on Windows, most die hard Apple fans have a Mac anyway.

davidjearly
Jun 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
I think this is a good thing, and will help to heighten the profile of podcasts separately on the iTunes Store. Right now, they're lost in a muddle of content.

...would it be wrong of me to link to my FREE video podcasts here? Recently launched, and I would appreciate any comments/reviews on iTunes!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=528255713

I'm a postgrad medical student and have been working on all aspects of these for two years.

William Gates
Jun 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
Well what are the movies and tv shows doing in that iOS 6 iTunes app? I thought they live in the videos app now, as of iOS 5?

It's the iTunes Store App, not Music or Videos app

WeegieMac
Jun 15, 2012, 02:38 PM
When I search for The Cultcast (Cult Of Mac) on iOS 6, it shows in the search field but when I press the name, nothing returns on screen to download.

I initially thought it was a beta 1 bug, but in light of this news perhaps not.

irDigital0l
Jun 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
Better support iPhone 4...and iPad 1? :rolleyes:

William Gates
Jun 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
Something is up because there is no content and only a few banners under podcasts in iOS 6

irDigital0l
Jun 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
Ping???

Yea Im wondering why its still in iOS 6.

bspence
Jun 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
My number one requested feature would be to notify me when a new podcast is available. Then have the podcast just start playing when I open the podcast app via streaming. It's not a well documented feature that you can go to the iTunes store, click on the "preview" button, and have the whole podcast streamed to your phone. AT&T won't let you download the podcast when you're not connected to wi-fi. So stupid.

Notify me when a new episode appears.
Stream the episode.

That's very simple and it's what podcasts in iOS should have been doing for years.

salesguy
Jun 15, 2012, 02:45 PM
I hope it stays in the music app, no reason to move it out. If you are listening to music than want to switch over to a podcast why should you have to dump out of an app to go into another one that is providing the exact same kind of file. It's almost like not having access to your photo album while in the camera app.

GQB
Jun 15, 2012, 02:46 PM
And so the 'de-crufting' of iTunes begins, with podcasts.
Great news!

charlituna
Jun 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
My number one requested feature would be to notify me when a new podcast is available.

That idea could be what they are up to. A newsstand for podcasts sort of thing

cameronjpu
Jun 15, 2012, 02:50 PM

Downcast is what I use as well. I don't like downcast's often failure to resume from where I left off though so I'm open minded about this.

Porchland

Apple develops phenomenal apps, but I can't imagine a better podcast app than Downcast.

cameronjpu
Hopefully the new app will be completely independent from iTunes as far as downloading and syncing with other devices. Obviously should still sync with iTunes for backlog of podcasts...

:) In the meantime, try Downcast :)

Honza
Perfect. Now we're going to have even more apps. With over a hundred apps, iOS just looks so cluttered. They should take the "Launchpad" button from Lion and put it in iOS for all your apps. Then you only have the most used apps visible.

That's one thing I like about Android. The smoothness, reliability and user experience of iOS comes at a tradeoff.

Flitzy
Jun 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
I just wish they would add podcasts to iCloud.

Not the actual files, of course, but the subscription list and whether or not something was downloaded or listened to so it's easy to go from computer to computer and keep the same podcast list.

Either that or just allow us to sync to multiple iTunes libraries already! :)

morespce54
Jun 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
How come I don't have "Genius" anymore (iOS5)? :(
...While Ping is still on iOS6... :confused: (I know, they'll remove it prior to launch)

oooh. oups. my bad

cameronjpu
Jun 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
Maybe keep iTunes as it is on Windows, most die hard Apple fans have a Mac anyway.

The VAAAAST majority of iPhone users have Windows.

Frankied22
Jun 15, 2012, 02:55 PM
Instacast will probably still better.

jhall527
Jun 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
I believe AllThingsD, but Podcasts is most definitely still in the Music app and iTunes app in iOS 6. As well as Audiobooks and iTunes U.

Image (http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/berrythrills/IMG_1646.png)

Their iOS screenshot is on an iPod, yours is an iPhone, maybe that makes a difference?

miamialley
Jun 15, 2012, 03:03 PM

Ah...okay.

boogybren
Jun 15, 2012, 03:05 PM

Yup, have to go to the edit menu and configure your options.

cbhchgo
Jun 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
AT&T won't let you download the podcast when you're not connected to wi-fi. So stupid.

There is a limit for podcast size, but you can download it outside of Wi-fi. It was 10 MB, but AT&T increased it to 50MB in the last year. Just verified it on my AT&T iPhone.

Works good for most normal audio podcasts, but video podcasts of any length...notsomuch :D

FasterQuieter
Jun 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
It'll have to be pretty good to bring me back from Downcast. Just wish I hadn't been forced to use that in the first place due to Apple's neglect.

CptnJustc
Jun 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
I hope it stays in the music app, no reason to move it out. If you are listening to music than want to switch over to a podcast why should you have to dump out of an app to go into another one that is providing the exact same kind of file. It's almost like not having access to your photo album while in the camera app.

I agree. I understand the drive for purity, but the fact is that it makes sense to drop a lot of kinds of media into iTunes (or whatever we want to call the audio player) and probably makes things easier for most users.

However, podcasts really do deserve to come out of that 'other' tab they've been shoehorned into, especially on the iPad. At least on the iPhone you can drag them out into the home row.

JonneyGee
Jun 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't want them to keep breaking up the iOS app. I do think it would be nice to have separate Mac apps for iTunes, videos, etc. and a separate iPhone syncing utility, but on my iPhone, I like as little clutter as possible. I don't want 5 apps hogging valuable space when I can have one that does it all. Also, it's nice to switch between listening to music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. easily. Since they're mutually exclusive (you can only listen to one at a time), it makes more sense to have them all in one iOS app.

cameronjpu
Jun 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't want them to keep breaking up the iOS app. I do think it would be nice to have separate Mac apps for iTunes, videos, etc. and a separate iPhone syncing utility, but on my iPhone, I like as little clutter as possible. I don't want 5 apps hogging valuable space when I can have one that does it all. Also, it's nice to switch between listening to music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. easily. Since they're mutually exclusive (you can only listen to one at a time), it makes more sense to have them all in one iOS app.

So you'd have one app that has all the functions on your home screen, and then once inside that app you'd pick the specific function you want.

Or you can have one folder on your home screen, called iTunes, and then once inside that folder you'd pick the specific function you want.

milo
Jun 15, 2012, 03:36 PM
This actually makes sense considering how badly podcast playback is broken in 5 (especially on iPad). I'd be happy with them just fixing it in the music player but if they come out with a well implemented dedicated podcast app that would be great.

Audiobooks need attention as well, iOS 5 broke that and it still hasn't been totally fixed.

And I hope this means they're looking at a total overhaul of the music player app, it's still terrible on iPad with a number of things never fixed.

JAQ
Jun 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
I hope hope hope hope hope this philosophical shift foreshadows an unbundling of features from iTunes for OS X and Windows. Using one application as both a multimedia player and as a synch utility puts a huge burden on the software engineering team and gets really tiresome for me as a user.

Jamie0003
Jun 15, 2012, 03:57 PM

True but what I mean is there wouldn't be much point in Apple developing separate apps for these functions on Windows, as they want to keep Mac OS and iOS similar experiences.

dukebound85
Jun 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
jeebus, another apple app I have to put in a folder or clutter up my screen

NAG
Jun 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Hopefully this is good news for podcasting as it was kind of hidden. And hopefully they allow for autodownloading and the like.

Jamie0003
Jun 15, 2012, 04:02 PM

The advantage to having separate Apps is that each app itself is designed for a specific purpose, rather than being a do everything app. It splits things up and makes things a little easier for people who are new to iOS to understand.

Also, having separate apps means that the UI could be built specifically for that type of media, again making it easier to navigate around than having to go through 100's of tabs and menus.

GregA
Jun 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
I wonder if this would enable iCloud syncing of my podcast preferences/setup between phone and AppleTV. I'd like to have identical choices available on both - as long as it clearly separates video and audio podcasts.

bigjnyc
Jun 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
I've wanted this feature for a long time now, but I certainly don't want another stock app that apple doesn't let me remove.

Anyway I've been using Instacast and it's great so Apple would have to really knock it out of the park for me to stop using that.

BornAgainMac
Jun 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Ping should be a separate App that you have to download if Apple still wants to keep Ping around. It could be the Mac Pro of Apps and rarely updated.

Vertigo50
Jun 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
It's good they are separating it, but there are already so many full-featured podcast apps. ICatcher is amazing for its ability to customize settings, and can either stream or download with no stupid 20 MB limit.

I won't be moving from it anytime soon. I use it multiple times per day.

Podcaster is also great, but it's gotten buggy recently.

Wh23
Jun 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
What if Apple decided to make a standalone app for viewing and CREATING podcasts? It would be a revolution for iTunes podcast and a youtube-like service by Apple. I think this is an interesting option...don' t you?

usarioclave
Jun 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
I'm glad it's moved, because I keep all my live concerts as podcasts so they don't go through iTunes match. A separate app will be perfect.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 15, 2012, 04:43 PM

Well people still need a place to listen/watch them until then.

phillipduran
Jun 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
H a l l e l u j a h ! ! !

pkagel
Jun 15, 2012, 05:10 PM
I pretty much hate it. Now I have to have another app to listen to podcasts instead of just going to itunes and choosing what I wanted to listen to. Argh!!

mrial
Jun 15, 2012, 05:11 PM

Yup, have to go to the edit menu and configure your options.

Hit the store button and try to download a podcast on your iPhone... not there! ... but you can still download it to your computer and and sync it to the music app.

Tee1970
Jun 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
I hope it is separate - that way if i want to listen to music, it can remember where I was in the playlist there etc, and if I switch to a podcast it can remember a separate position there. Would be great if they separate out audiobooks too. Pain in the rear to have to try to remember my position in a book with hundreds of tracks, a podcast instance out of hundreds, and then occassionally listen to a song or album etc. and switch between them currently.

twoodcc
Jun 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
this could be good i guess. i would like to be able to create podcasts from my iOS devices too!

FightTheFuture
Jun 15, 2012, 06:44 PM
Anyway I've been using Instacast and it's great so Apple would have to really knock it out of the park for me to stop using that.I doubt Apple will allow you to stream your podcasts and keep a cloud based library as Instacast does. However I'm holding off my purchase of Instacast HD till we learn more about Apple's solution.

It could be integrated in such a way that iTunes match streams music, but considering the length and different formats of podcasts, iOS6's podcast app will more likely resemble the 'Videos' App.

Object-X
Jun 15, 2012, 09:20 PM
Nice. More things to come.

Like more things for iTunes to loose.

Djs621
Jun 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
If this is done right podcasts will be one major step closer in nailing the coffin on the radio industry. Especially FM radio.

bug67
Jun 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
Wonderful. Another app I'll never use and won't be able to delete. :rolleyes:

kingledley
Jun 16, 2012, 08:54 AM
Hopefully this will be mirrored in the mac version of iTunes. I want to see separate apps:

iTunes - music playback and store
Podcasts
Movies - all video playback and store
iBooks - Books, mags, iTunes U.
App Store - Mac and iOS

makitango
Jun 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
Great news. First a separate handling of contacts and phone, photos and camera. then the separation of music and video, now video podcasts and audio podcasts and podcasts. Hopefully we can see a further upgrade separating video and audio podcasts as well?

It feels like a complete downgrade in terms of usability.

4jasontv
Jun 16, 2012, 09:56 AM
I will put it in the same folder I keep Stocks, Weather, Maps, Compass, Game Center and News Stand on my iPhone.

mrial
Jun 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
I will put it in the same folder I keep Stocks, Weather, Maps, Compass, Game Center and News Stand on my iPhone.

How did you put Newsstand into a folder?

yegon
Jun 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
Downcast is what I use as well. I don't like downcast's often failure to resume from where I left off though so I'm open minded about this.

That's strange, I've listened to 1000s of hours of podcasts via iPhone and iPad and I don't recall that ever happening to me.

Re: this news, I'd be very surprised if an Apple podcast app, were it to appear, would offer the functionally of Downcast (my choice) and other ones like Instacast. I'd happily be proved wrong though.

I remember what an absolute revelation Downcast seemed after I shifted to it when Apple b0rked podcasts in the ios5 music app. A million times better.

Daalseth
Jun 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
This is a good start. Next they need to split iTunes on the Mac up with Music, Video, and Other Content in separate Apps. It's silly that I have to load my videos in order to listen to a streaming radio station or have all my music at hand (and wait for genius recommendations to load) if I want to watch a movie. iTunes has needed to be broken up and slimmed down for some years now. Maybe this is a beginning.

askiboot
Jun 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/

APlotdevice
Jun 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
If true, perhaps this is what Apple intends to eventually replace the built-in YouTube app with? (with the addition of their own iCloud-based hosting service)

In any event it would (presumably) reunify the video and audio podcasts into one app.

NewAnger
Jun 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
I kind of like having everything in one app. I moved the podcast and audiobooks icon down to the "dock" so that I have playlists, artists, podcasts and audiobooks there. I get the feeling that lots of people didn't know they could do this.

jlnr
Jun 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
And so the 'de-crufting' of iTunes begins, with podcasts.
Great news!

Am I really the only one worried that Apple might de-emphasize their podcast directory altogether over time? It's a bandwidth burden for them and they don't need to drive MP3 player sales anymore. How many new users know about Podcasts before seeing them in iTunes? What percentage of users uses Podcasts at all?

Sixtafoua
Jun 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
comic sans FTW

MacAddict1978
Jun 16, 2012, 09:16 PM

I agree.

There's a point where an app is bloatware (iTunes has needed a diet for ages now) but at the same time, tons of apps stink too. And iTunes is only bloatware on mac/pc, the IOS version is fine.

I don't know why we can't just have a "media" app. Launch it and on the screen are options: video books music podcasts
and why can't from each subsection it just launch the appstore with the appropriate category?

I just hate that theres ibooks, music app, video app, and now podcast app???
Just not necessary!

----------

What if Apple decided to make a standalone app for viewing and CREATING podcasts? It would be a revolution for iTunes podcast and a youtube-like service by Apple. I think this is an interesting option...don' t you?

it's called garage band.... and it's even on ios and the mac!

----------

this could be good i guess. i would like to be able to create podcasts from my iOS devices too!

You're the second person in a few posts to say this...
Don't hold your breath on this being part of the app. It's a feature in garage band which already does this.

They want you to pay for garage band.

Dionte
Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
It will be nice to have them split up, they will get more use that way.

Supa_Fly
Jun 17, 2012, 01:08 AM
Although I'd LOVE to create audio/visual podcasts directly from my iPhone 4S, or my son would love this from his iPod ... I'm not liking where Apple is going to separate apps that work just as fine as unified apps.

separate apps to deal with audio, vs video ... their one and the same no?

sooner rather than later ... expect Apple to separate Video Recording from the Camera apps - maybe combining the Video Recording App (capability) with iMovie and charging for it.

Ferry13
Jun 17, 2012, 09:18 AM
Releasing a seperate Podcasts app for iOS was just a matter of time... Apple already created a seperate Podcast app for the iPod nano, and it's a seperate 'app' on the Apple TV as well.

http://ilogs.nl/images/uploads/products/ipodnano_6g_2.jpg

jonnysods
Jun 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
It would be nice to split them up, it's getting a little crowded in the iTunes app!

skellener
Jun 17, 2012, 04:21 PM
Why is Ping still there?

Blakjack
Jun 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hey YouTube......how do you feel about this news?

mattwolfmatt
Jun 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Will we be able to delete them? Currently I have one "unused" folder crammed with stuff I never use but can't delete: youtube, compass, stocks, voice memos, photos. Will I need to create a second folder for iTunes U, podcasts, iBookstore, etc?

I WAS the one
Jun 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
I really hope Apple don't erase Podcasts for their future. Podcast as for today are become a big part of this digital community and people rely on this type of media that in this era are known as audio bloggers or video bloggers but thanks to Apple they are known as Podcasters. Please God save the podcasts for this future to come!

posaune.rm
Jun 18, 2012, 04:24 AM
At the moment, i have a master playlist (populated by some smart playlists and a but of applescript) that has a mix of (mostly) podacast but some other items (recorded off the radio).

Is this going to break under the new scheme?

Also, if I'm listening to a podcast in the car (iPhone plugged into car hifi) how am I going to be able to swap to listing to music? Will I need to pull the car over, swap apps and start again?

RobertMartens
Jun 18, 2012, 06:59 AM

Let him have his fantasy, do we have to ruin every dream

----------

At the moment, i have a master playlist (populated by some smart playlists and a but of applescript) that has a mix of (mostly) podacast but some other items (recorded off the radio).

Is this going to break under the new scheme?

Also, if I'm listening to a podcast in the car (iPhone plugged into car hifi) how am I going to be able to swap to listing to music? Will I need to pull the car over, swap apps and start again?

Did you say hifi cool what does it mean? High Fidelity?

Don't pull over on the highway shoulder, it has lots of debris and sure to wreck your tires

RabbitLuvr
Jun 18, 2012, 07:29 AM
I would prefer all the media stayed together in one app. I'm still annoyed about Music and Videos being split up.

And what about Audiobooks, where did they go? I listen to more audiobooks than I do podcasts, but I like that I can switch between books, podcasts, and music quickly in the Music app. (I used to also throw a few videos in the mix, but now that those are in their own app I never do that anymore.)

PaulKemp
Jun 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
I think this is great news. I have been missing a native subscription app!

ChrisCW11
Jun 18, 2012, 02:47 PM
I think Apple needs to rebrand iTunes because it does a lot more these days then "tunes". Having an app/store called iTunes and then browsing for Movies, TV Shows, Music, Ringtones, Books, Apps, Games, podcasts, etc is kind of stupid in terms of store branding. Removing podcasts is just the tip of what Apple should do to clean up the branding/purpose for iTunes.

Since Apple is all about metaphors these days (with regards to competitors products), buying an game or move from a store called iTunes is like buying Fillet Mignon at a gas station.

emil Beckmann
Jun 19, 2012, 03:16 AM
seems kinda obvious: Apple needs content for its 'computerless' media center, whatever it will be. It stands to reason that the UI will be app-centric, so a distinctive Podcast App should be a perfect citizen for the new ecosystem, non, Hastings ?

iEvolution
Jun 19, 2012, 03:28 AM
Yet another app of an app?

Am I the only one annoyed with the fact I have to go to a certain app to look for books, another one for apps, another one for movies/music and now yet another one for podcasts?

bigjnyc
Jun 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
I think Apple needs to rebrand iTunes because it does a lot more these days then "tunes". Having an app/store called iTunes and then browsing for Movies, TV Shows, Music, Ringtones, Books, Apps, Games, podcasts, etc is kind of stupid in terms of store branding. Removing podcasts is just the tip of what Apple should do to clean up the branding/purpose for iTunes.

Since Apple is all about metaphors these days (with regards to competitors products), buying an game or move from a store called iTunes is like buying Fillet Mignon at a gas station.

I doubt they would do it, iTunes is so iconic now.... iPod and iTunes are what propelled Apple to the monstrous consumer company it is today...

Even though this is an unpopular opinion I would like to see them keep everything under one app just like on the desktop version... So music, videos, podcasts, etc... and then a button to access the store. so instead of having a music, video and itunes icon that you cant delete just have an itunes icon with everything in it. And again this is just my personal preference I know everyone has their own.

Fatboy71
Jun 20, 2012, 03:23 AM
Like the idea of a seperate Podcast app. I like the idea of been able 'to discover, download and play them' from on my iPhone. I hope the seperate Podcast app lets us check for any updates to our subscribed Podcast's.

Superman730
Jun 26, 2012, 06:04 AM
Hopefully this is a sign of a complete shift in mentality in terms of the iTunes model and they eventually move to blow up that behemoth too.

^This. I've been holding out hope against hope with every announcement (esp. the WWDC ones) that they'll say "And, one more thing... We redesigned iTunes!"

iTunes needs a redesign from the ground up. That program is one of the reasons it took me so long to embrace Apple products.

marc.garcia
Aug 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
iTunes needs a redesign from the ground up. That program is one of the reasons it took me so long to embrace Apple products.

After several attempts, I've come to th conclusion that I just seem to be able to figure out how iTunes works. For the first time in my life I'm considering spending/wasting some of time online or attending one of those Apple courses in order to finally understand several things that I can't seem to figure out myself.

iTunes is complicated. I've ended up many times with a blank iPod after having iTunes wipe my library. A friend of mine lost all her pictures too.

iTunes is targeting the whole apple audience but they did not get it right to my understanding. Man, iTunes is no Aperture or Autocad!!!

golf1410
Aug 26, 2012, 04:21 AM
Ping???

I hate ping. Slow your phone down.

diamond.g
Aug 26, 2012, 06:54 AM
Is anyone else having problems with getting the podcast.app to sync with iTunes?

milo
Aug 29, 2012, 08:57 AM
After several attempts, I've come to th conclusion that I just seem to be able to figure out how iTunes works. For the first time in my life I'm considering spending/wasting some of time online or attending one of those Apple courses in order to finally understand several things that I can't seem to figure out myself.

iTunes is complicated. I've ended up many times with a blank iPod after having iTunes wipe my library. A friend of mine lost all her pictures too.

iTunes is targeting the whole apple audience but they did not get it right to my understanding. Man, iTunes is no Aperture or Autocad!!!

It's not that you don't understand it. iTunes can just be very buggy, and it's much much worse with iTunes Match.