Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

criscanal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Since for our company MS Exchange features are vital (notes and sms sync) we are sticking with windows mobile 6.5 and android 2.3.

we were testing the iphone since version 3GS and we really enjoyed it. Since iOS 4 i was hoping in a better implemenattion of the Exchange client, and why not a systemwide smb-client for connections to windows fileservers.

does anyone know if ios6 brings any new features in this area?

tia,

cris

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
iOS 5 (and earlier for that matter) supports MS Exchange seamlessly, even SBS2003, unlike OSX Lion. This includes calendar, contacts, and reminders (not just email).

In fact, this was a major factor in getting an iPad for me from a business point of view.

So hopefully iOS 6 will have some additional features, can imagine what though

criscanal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
wm 6.5 allows me to sync my sms with my exchange inbox and in addition it also syncs my exchange notes. this would we very useful to have ios6

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
wm 6.5 allows me to sync my sms with my exchange inbox and in addition it also syncs my exchange notes. this would we very useful to have ios6

iOS will sync your mail with Exchange mailbox (all of it, not just the inbox). You can integrate other Exchange features too - what do you mean by notes?

As for SMS, I can't imagine why you'd want to do that?

criscanal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
iOS will sync your mail with Exchange mailbox (all of it, not just the inbox). You can integrate other Exchange features too - what do you mean by notes?

As for SMS, I can't imagine why you'd want to do that?

you know, once somebody gets used to write sms messages directly from outlook and has a complete messaging history (even phone calls are journaled in our exchange enviroment...) they don't want to miss it. most of the guys have an ipad for the cool stuff (cisco anyconnect, filebrowser, quickoffice hd, salesforce, vmware view, and so on)

should not be to difficult for apple to integrate such simpe features, but as for now even wp7 and icecreamsandwich don't support these....

it's pretty annoying seeing apple not caring a thing about business needs...

is there any dev around who tested ios6 already? maybe the features are implemented but not notworthy enough for a keynote ;)

----------

The last company I worked for SMS syncing worked on iOS.

do you know if you used a third party app? more infos would be greaty appreciated!

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
I did use a third party app for my exchange. I wanted it isolated so when I left it would only wipe the sandboxed environment .

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Since for our company MS Exchange features are vital (notes and sms sync) we are sticking with windows mobile 6.5 and android 2.3.

we were testing the iphone since version 3GS and we really enjoyed it. Since iOS 4 i was hoping in a better implemenattion of the Exchange client, and why not a systemwide smb-client for connections to windows fileservers.

does anyone know if ios6 brings any new features in this area?

tia,

cris

What exchange server are you running?

Mailbox, calendar, contacts (GAL lookup as well), tasks (Reminders), and Notes is supported. The key about notes is to NIT add a personal email account and the required iCloud account should have notes disabled for this to work.

File browser app will work as windows explore to workstations/Server file browsing as long as the right AD. Account is used, a VPN client is used off WLAN, and no specific GPO blocks rdp or file sharing in your windows environment. Currently I'm trying to figure out why I can access server files using my admin account and my pc using my regular account will work but for end users I cannot get this to work (PC at ein the same OU, user ID's are not of course).

Anything else?

tangfred

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Notes have been supported on iOS for quite some time, but not over the air.
The only way they will sync is through the iTunes sync process.

criscanal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Notes have been supported on iOS for quite some time, but not over the air.
The only way they will sync is through the iTunes sync process.

hopefully activesync support comes with ios6...

----------

Moxier Mail

moxier website does not show sms sync feature, i'll ty to contactvthe folks at moxier. thanks btw!!

----------

What exchange server are you running?

Mailbox, calendar, contacts (GAL lookup as well), tasks (Reminders), and Notes is supported. The key about notes is to NIT add a personal email account and the required iCloud account should have notes disabled for this to work.

File browser app will work as windows explore to workstations/Server file browsing as long as the right AD. Account is used, a VPN client is used off WLAN, and no specific GPO blocks rdp or file sharing in your windows environment. Currently I'm trying to figure out why I can access server files using my admin account and my pc using my regular account will work but for end users I cannot get this to work (PC at ein the same OU, user ID's are not of course).

Anything else?

just finished migration to 2010 sp1. did not manage to get notes in sync though.

filebrowser works well, but quickoffice on the iphone (on the ipad it works) does not support save back edited docs to filebrowser, thats a bit annoying. didnt find a streamlined solution for : opening a smb-file, edit it and save it back to smb-server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.