Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trix10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Hey all, yesterday we purchased an iPad 3 and a iPhone 4s. We also have a Apple Tv at home which is a few months old.

On the apple tv, there is an option for airplay which is turned on, and it is connected to our guest network (We have a timecapsule for our router)

Now, the ipad 3 and the iphone 4s are both connected to the same network, as the apple tv is.

However, if i double click the home button, then swipe to the right so i see the iPod controls, there is no button for Airplay on either the ipad or the iphone.

I have no idea why, all are on the same network, and all are 100% up to date.

Any suggestions? Many thanks

Mike4AU

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
My son had the same problem with his iphone. Turns out, his phone was logged on to our guest network, but we have our ATV on the main network. In other words one cannot use a combo of main and sub-main. Hope this helps.

astonblake

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Hello guys,
I have faced these same problem.Then i consult with apple store.they suggest me to disable Temporarily firewalls for both network and local and also security software.These may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.
Hope so it will help you.

nohaver

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Texas
from time to time my airplay also just disappears. a reboot will usually bring it back.

Although the firewalls could be the issue, I second the suggestion to reboot all devices (including routers). This has worked for me. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.