Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hs9309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Hey everyone,
Currently I have a late 2008 Unibody Aluminum Macbook 13" with 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD.
Im looking to upgrade as i will be going off to college in the fall.

Ill just be taking it around class to class.
My primary use would be school work, I do mix music in GarageBand and mixcraft ever so often, and i do use iMovie once in a while, but not too extensively!

I was almost decided on buying the 2012 13" MBA 256SSD 8GB RAM but then heard reports about a 13" MBP Retina. I always like having the newest things.
The 15" is too expensive/too big for my liking... any suggestions?

powsucks

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
There is always a new laptop around the corner though. A retina 13 inch may come in October, but that's still 4 months away. If you feel you need a retina screen (by the sounds of your usage you don't) then sure, wait. But if it doesn't come then what do you do? Buy the MBA 4 months later...

I just bought a 13 MBA. Was deliberating over the MBPR and could afford it, but decided against it. Decided it's not worth dithering and wasting time :)

Glockron

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
The current laptop you have is fine IMO. The main bottleneck in performance would be the RAM and HDD.

You can really boost up performance by putting in a 2.5" SSD instead of the HDD. Sure, you'll have less space, but it'll feel like a new Mac. Keep in mind that the MBA is only 2.0 GHz, it's the SSD that makes it fast and snappy.

If you absolutely need the extra storage, you can replace the internal ODD with a boot SSD to get the best of both worlds. Optical media is going out pretty quick, so no real need for the SuperDrive. Plus, you can get an external case for the ODD that'll connect via USB.

RAM-wise, you can pick up some chips for very little money. I don't know about the restrictions on the 2008 model, but you should be able to get 8 gigs very cheap, provided that the motherboard is set for DDR3.

[EDIT] Also - there's been no cosmetic change, so you're not really missing out on anything. Unless you absolutely need the new ports / upgraded FaceTime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.