Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardabrams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Flurry of posts tonight. Sorry. I'm addicted to the new toy. I managed to stretch to the 256Gb MBA but even then I have concerns about disk space, in particular as I'll probably partition off 70-100gb for Windows 7.

I was thinking on what the most inconspicuous solution would be to expand the storage and I thought either a usb 3 flash drive (ideally v small stub) or a SDXC card. Is they viable options or just too slow? Are there other alternatives? My issue with an external drive is that it's a bit unwieldy having a drive with a short cable sat at the side when I use the device on my lap etc.

Interested to know what everyone else has done.

Thanks

Richard.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Flurry of posts tonight. Sorry. I'm addicted to the new toy. I managed to stretch to the 256Gb MBA but even then I have concerns about disk space, in particular as I'll probably partition off 70-100gb for Windows 7.

I was thinking on what the most inconspicuous solution would be to expand the storage and I thought either a usb 3 flash drive (ideally v small stub) or a SDXC card. Is they viable options or just too slow? Are there other alternatives? My issue with an external drive is that it's a bit unwieldy having a drive with a short cable sat at the side when I use the device on my lap etc.

Interested to know what everyone else has done.

Thanks

Richard.

Speed depends on what type of file or work you'll be doing with it.
Video editing would be a pain but programming or word processing would be ok for example.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
If you have the 2012 MBP, then a fast USB 3 flash drive would be the best option and faster than SDXC. (The MBA only has an SD slot anyway)

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1808/3/

We've literally benchmarked and used hundreds of USB Flash drives over the years and we can say without a doubt that the Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 Flash Drive is the fastest that we have ever used. This drive is blazing fast and is certainly worthy of being part of the HyperX brand. Our testing showed that the Kingston DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 64GB Flash Drive was able to run at 246MB/s read and 161MB/s write in ATTO, which is once again well beyond the 225MB/s read and 135MB/s write speed ratings given by Kingston. It you want to have a portable USB drive that has insane sequential read/write speeds then this is it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.