Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teqnic2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I'm planning to buy two Macbook Air 11" models fully loaded, one for my wife, one for me. If I buy two of the 2011 version refurbished from Apple, it's half the money of buying two of the new one.

Besides the difference in hard drive size with the 2012 model (512 gb versus 256 loaded), is there that much of a performance difference between the two i7s (2011 vs 2012)?

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
one large difference is the 2012 version features USB3. The new models are cheaper than the equivalent models this time last year (keep that in mind). USB3 is great for external disk drives so you could get the smaller hard drive and have a USB3 external HD to store movies etc on and that will save you a lot of money!

Do you really need i7 power? that will save you a fair chunk too...

teqnic2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Re

My thinking was just to get either model maxed out on ram and hard drive. My wife will use hers for iTunes, iPhoto, Word, maybe iMovie. I'll use mine primarily for Word, Logos (Bible Software), and occasionally CS6 (when I travel overseas and need to update work graphics etc.). For my main work laptop I have a MBPRO 17" loaded. My thinking is I'll leave the 17" at work and use the 11" at home in the evenings for my school work (working on a doctoral degree). I do have to use Windows 7 with VMWare occasionally, especially when I'm working on a paper that has a lot of Hebrew in it. Doing the latter in Windows is just easier. The 11" for my wife will replace her Black Macbook, which I think we purchased in 2006. It's on its last legs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.