Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earthbound

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Hi all,

I can't seem to make up my mind on which sleeve to get. I will be carrying the MBA inside my messenger bags or handbags. I want the sleeve provide enough protection, especially since it will be placed in the main large compartment along with a bunch of other stuff in there, but without being too heavy or bulky.

I've narrowed it down to these 3:

1. Waterfield SleeveCase
2. Acme Made Skinny Sleeve
3. LA Robe Air

Please let me know you guys' opinions on these and if you think it will be a good fit for my purpose.

Thanks.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I've narrowed it down to these 3:

1. Waterfield SleeveCase
2. Acme Made Skinny Sleeve
3. LA Robe Air

1. Bit of a darling of these forums, decent option if you live stateside.
2. Personally not a fan of the design.
3. Great quality, lots of protection but more bulk.

mixman

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
I can't seem to make up my mind on which sleeve to get.

I've had the LA Robe Air for my 2011 13" for nearly a year, using it daily, stored in a backpack. Sturdy, good zipper and lightweight. Highly recommended.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I'm a big fan of Waterfield, but you do get a little additional bulk in exchange for the protection. If you are paranoid about the condition of your laptop (or you are rough with it), then I think it's a no brainer, but if you really want to get a slimmer profile, the waterfield default sleevecase might not be the best option.

They are also a little pricey, but I personally feel are worth the cost. My only issue with it is that since there's no handle, it can be hard to pick up depending on your positioning and the laptop's positioning (the material also doesn't have a lot of traction). Oh, since it does use velcro, it can be kind of loud too when opening and closing, but they now offer a sleeve with a button (which I am considering).

earthbound

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Thanks for the replies, guys :)

I think I'm dropping the Acme Made Skinny Sleeve from my options since it seems to be the least protective.

Still juggling between the other two. I wish I can physically see the Waterfield SleeveCase for myself before deciding.

x24

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
The options on the Waterfield add a lot of uncertainty. Do I want a strap? A flap? Is the leather worth it? I agree it'd be much easier if I could see one...

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Not a sleeve kind of guy myself.

SF Waterfield Vertigo bag (small) + iPad + external keyboard / incase origami workstation + mba 11" / iPearl case. Everything fits in my man bag and it is quite well-protected.

This doesn't answer the OP's question, though. If you go with sleeves, you cannot go wrong with SF Waterfield.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
The options on the Waterfield add a lot of uncertainty. Do I want a strap? A flap? Is the leather worth it? I agree it'd be much easier if I could see one...

No strap, no flap, vertical, no leather....
2acbcfba.jpg

They also make a suede sleeve I use for when I need no protection like packing between clothing:
bf2c7c17.jpg

Last edited:

JimNasium

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
I like the Waterfiled Smart Case, but is it possible to get a sleeve/case that provides solid shock absorbing protection without costing $90?

The Booq Viper Case seemed liked the logical option for me, but they're sold out and Booq hasn't released new cases for MBAs in a while. (Although, I've heard they're due to release new versions of their MBA cases soon).

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I like the Waterfiled Smart Case, but is it possible to get a sleeve/case that provides solid shock absorbing protection without costing $90?

The Booq Viper Case seemed liked the logical option for me, but they're sold out and Booq hasn't released new cases for MBAs in a while. (Although, I've heard they're due to release new versions of their MBA cases soon).

The pic I put above has huge absorption protection at 49...

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009

I actually haven't heard the best things about the Smart Case. If you want something that is cheaper and offers more shock protection, the standard sleeve case is more than adequate for the Airs. It's about half the price of that. If you don't like the velcro, you can get one of their new revisions (made of waxed canvas) with a button instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.