PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word 2012 scam app

VenusianSky
Jun 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
What is the deal with the Microsoft Word 2012 app on the app store? I first noticed it on App Shopper. It cost $9.99 and is obviously some sort of scam. I also read about a Cydia app that got on and is also nothing but a scam. How are these apps getting through to the store? Is this going to become a problem with the app store?

sinsin07
Jun 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah saw that app, was wondering the same thing as it does not appear to be from MS and the screenshots look like nothing more than suped up text editor.

Rodster
Jun 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
DON'T BUY IT and report it !!!

It's a scam, it's not a word processing program it's a Tips Guide on how to use MS Word. If MS knew they would probably take action against them. I don't know how that one fell thru the cracks. :rolleyes:

VenusianSky
Jun 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
We may be just scratching the surface when it comes to scams, or possibly malware on the AppStore. If Apple is letting obvious scams like this through, who knows what else could be slipping through the cracks. Are apps being automatically approved by AI?

skywalkerr69
Jun 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
We may be just scratching the surface when it comes to scams, or possibly malware on the AppStore. If Apple is letting obvious scams like this through, who knows what else could be slipping through the cracks. Are apps being automatically approved by AI?

Thats a possibility, but who knows? The Appstore has gotton so big this was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

nutmac
Jun 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
What scammers typically do is submit the app for review using different description, and once approved, change them.

In fact, this app is now free with what appears to be the description it was originally submitted as:

Every modern person some time or other is faced with Microsoft Office Word. However not everyone knows it to perfection! How quickly can you page numbering? How about adding and changing the page header? If takes more than a minute, this program is for you! Now you always have a list of tips which makes any Microsoft Office task easy and simple.

With our program you will easily learn how to add and use:
- Page Headers
- Hot keys
- Hyperlinks
- Page numbers
- Tables
- Borders and frameworks
- Drawing or clip insert
-Text input
Also you will find category of visual videolessons, which explain the most complex tasks.

Download this program and become a guru of Microsoft Office Word!

ipsychedelic
Jun 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
Fellow AppShopper I saw it too.
As a matter of fact it tricked me as I did not find it on my store so I checked for all MS products and wondered if it was available only on the US store, but then I saw the screenshots on AppShopper app, and once I laughed a bit with the circa '95 GUI... I realized it was nothing more than a tips app.

Scam? Not really?
9.99? Seriously? I'd rather ask google for free or follow MS' own online help!!!

ugp
Jun 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
I just saw it on there as well. Thought it was weird Apple even allowed it into the App Store to begin with.

VenusianSky
Jun 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
Fellow AppShopper I saw it too.
As a matter of fact it tricked me as I did not find it on my store so I checked for all MS products and wondered if it was available only on the US store, but then I saw the screenshots on AppShopper app, and once I laughed a bit with the circa '95 GUI... I realized it was nothing more than a tips app.

Scam? Not really?
9.99? Seriously? I'd rather ask google for free or follow MS' own online help!!!

The original description was "All features of the MAC version on your device." That is a scam to me. I think the description has changed a couple times now.

This article describes what I saw. (I hope this link is OK to post here)

heres-another-app-store-scammer-microsoft-word-2012 (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/06/heres-another-app-store-scammer-microsoft-word-2012)

ipsychedelic
Jun 20, 2012, 10:51 PM
The original description was "All features of the MAC version on your device." That is a scam to me. I think the description has changed a couple times now.[/URL]
I stand corrected then. Scam! :D

VenusianSky
Jun 21, 2012, 08:37 AM
I stand corrected then. Scam! :D

I like how MAC is in all caps. Very creative. Is that like Microsoft Word for your network adapter (as in MAC address)? :D