Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrtdot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Hey there! I just purchased a new iPad and included was a $50 go for app store. Just curious to those users who frequently pay for apps. What are the ones definitely worth the price?

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
What type of apps, any games? Real racing 2 HD is by far the best racing game and it looks great.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
GarageBand!!! ($4.99)

Also:
HiCalc Calculator Pro ($0.99)
iPhoto ($4.99)
Phone Drive ($0.99)
Fruit Ninja HD ($0.99)
Blueprint3D HD ($2.99)
Real Racing 2 HD ($1.99)

Last edited:

jrtdot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Yeah I'm looking at a broad view here so suggest apps you purchased, liked and believed to be well worth the price!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What are the ones definitely worth the price?
No such thing. Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic and it's no different with apps. No app is every universally worth it. Read up on the apps that sound interesting to you. It's up to you to determine which apps are worth it to you. Have you looked at any of the "best apps" lists in the iPad Apps subforum? Have you looked at the apps that Gizmodo features from time to time?

Wediafom

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
If you're an iOS gamer like me, then get-
Galaxy on fire 2 HD $9.99
The Bard's Tale $5.99
FIFA soccer 12 HD $9.99
SF4 volt $6.99

Also not a game but I recommend Trivia: brain trainer. Expand your knowledge with thousands of quizzes from Science, History, geography....

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
No such thing. Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic and it's no different with apps. No app is every universally worth it. Read up on the apps that sound interesting to you. It's up to you to determine which apps are worth it to you. Have you looked at any of the "best apps" lists in the iPad Apps subforum? Have you looked at the apps that Gizmodo features from time to time?

give the guy some ideas

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
must have apps for me

Downloads HD.
iPhoto
garageband
numbers (i use it for work so depends on what you do.
pages isnt bad either
Notability :) gorgeous retina display, and cool features such as drop box integration, and the ability to add voice memos with in you not page

those are all of my "productivity" apps i can think of.

if you like games,

machinarium. favorite ipad game so far. adventure.
modern combat 3 is surprisingly a fun FPS, the online play is fun too. Im a hardcore halo 3 fan and never thought id be playing a console quality game with legit online play via my ipad, but they pulled it off. The touch screen controls can be a little weird at first but after 30 mins of so of playing its no sweat.

If you like w.o.w. Order and chaos online is damn fun.
world of goo, is an amazing game.
superbrothers, sword and sorcery ep is right up there with machinarium. same style kinda. but the audio on it is way good, plus the 8bit graphics are beautiful and creative.
Peggle must have.
GTA III -enough said
Max Payne ""
lego harry potter << can be a bit redundant. but its way fun, i grew up with legos, and love HP. i wish they had the batman ones
egg vs chicken 2 addicting, beautiful animations.
sonic racing is free actually and reminds me of mario kart!, fun, and has online play :)
Fastball 2 & 3 really fun timing much like the impossible game.

Last edited:

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
must have apps for me

Downloads HD.
iPhoto
garageband
numbers (i use it for work so depends on what you do.
pages isnt bad either
Notability :) gorgeous retina display, and cool features such as drop box integration, and the ability to add voice memos with in you not page

those are all of my "productivity" apps i can think of.

if you like games,

machinarium. favorite ipad game so far. adventure.
modern combat 3 is surprisingly a fun FPS, the online play is fun too. Im a hardcore halo 3 fan and never thought id be playing a console quality game with legit online play via my ipad, but they pulled it off. The touch screen controls can be a little weird at first but after 30 mins of so of playing its no sweat.

If you like w.o.w. Order and chaos online is damn fun.
world of goo, is an amazing game.
superbrothers, sword and sorcery ep is right up there with machinarium. same style kinda. but the audio on it is way good, plus the 8bit graphics are beautiful and creative.
Peggle must have.
GTA III -enough said
Max Payne ""
lego hairy potter << can be a bit redundant. but its way fun, i grew up with legos, and love HP. i wish they had the batman ones
egg vs chicken 2 addicting, beautiful animations.
sonic racing is free actually and reminds me of mario kart!, fun, and has online play :)
Fastball 2 & 3 really fun timing much like the impossible game.

Thank you for those games, only had my iPad for like two weeks never heard of most of those. Just don't really like the FPS on the iPad, and other games you can recommend?

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Before you pay money for anything, get yourself AppShopper. Most (non Apple) apps go up and down in price - some quite regularly.

If you like the look of an app check it out in AppShopper. If you look at the app history it'll show whether the app often drops much lower than the current price - or even goes free. If you're nt buying the app now you can tick the "I Want This" box and AppShopper will email/alert you when it comes down in price.

As a rule of the thumb though, If you're patient you'll rarely need to pay more than $1 for an app. The occasional one might push you up to $3.

That $50 should last you years!

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Thank you for those games, only had my iPad for like two weeks never heard of most of those. Just don't really like the FPS on the iPad, and other games you can recommend?

no problemo hommie

if you havent played swordigo. do it now!! its my favorite action/adventure game on the ipad and i cant believe i forgot to mention it in my above post. Its a side scroll that feels just like zelda.

if you like RPGS
dungeon hunter HD 1 & 2 reallllly good action RPGS. both games
aralon: sword and shadow really good RPG reminds me of Elder scrolls, pretty in depth.
dink smallwood a classic, action rpg ported over from the PC. really witty and funny storyline. must have for sure.
Final Fantasy III its a port of the nintendo DS remake. They did a good job on this as well.
Chaos Rings 1&2 squar enix made these. just like a ffX+ syle.
zenonia 1-4 zelda over the top rpg stlye. I havent played the 4th one but the others were stellar.

i really like the xmen arcade port for the ipad.
Contre Jour
super stickman golf really fun, and has multiplayer as well. cant remeber if its online.
sky gamblers not bad, online play. you prolly have heard of this one already. it was demoed at the ipad 3 keynote
marvel vs capcom 2 port from the dreamcast. if you like fighting game. controls can be annoying, but they are customize-able and you get used to them.
Soul Calibur same thing, another dreamcast port. classic fighting game.

thats about all i can think of off the top of my head at work. ill let ya know if i can think of any others when im not doing other things.

Last edited:

Unkei

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Apps worth purchase price

Hey there! I just purchased a new iPad and included was a $50 go for app store. Just curious to those users who frequently pay for apps. What are the ones definitely worth the price?

Pages for word processing
Pixelmator for more in depth photo work

Unkei

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Here are a couple that I find indispensable:

GoodReader,
Pages,
Numbers,
iPhoto,
AirVideo,
Splashtop,
Wolfram Alpha.

And most important and free DropBox cloud service.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Sketchbook Pro or some other drawing app. Great way to be creative and kill an hour or two whenever needed.

nohaver

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Texas

You could make this argument about anything. -1000 for not supporting the community of members and being a turd.

nohaver

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Texas
My suggestions:

iPhoto
NBA Jam

Free
Cut the Rope Experiments
NBA Game Time ( go spurs :( )
Pocket
Songza
MyMedia

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
I really like Plants v. Zombies. Other games that either my husband or I play are Madcoaster, Paper Monsters, Jetpack Joyride, Fancy Pants, Swordigo, World of Goo, DH Reloaded, Osmosis HD, Little Things, Pawn'd, Words w/Friends, and Where's My Water.

Aside from games, I use Penultimate, Pages, Facebook, iLoader2, iBooks, Flipboard, Alien Blue, Tapatalk, Snapseed, Camera+, PixIromatic, Retouch, I Heart Etsy, Ebay, Talkatone, iRewardchart,Comicbook (awesome fun photo app), FrameMagic, iMovie, Money, Iris, and My Kids' Health.

Garageband seems cool, but I never use it. Blogsy was great but has been really buggy lately. Flickr crashes a lot. I have Notability but prefer Penultimate. I have a ton of photography apps, so you can PM if you wanna know more about those :)

Hope I helped!

----------

Before you pay money for anything, get yourself AppShopper. Most (non Apple) apps go up and down in price - some quite regularly.

If you like the look of an app check it out in AppShopper. If you look at the app history it'll show whether the app often drops much lower than the current price - or even goes free. If you're nt buying the app now you can tick the "I Want This" box and AppShopper will email/alert you when it comes down in price.

As a rule of the thumb though, If you're patient you'll rarely need to pay more than $1 for an app. The occasional one might push you up to $3.

That $50 should last you years!

Completely forgot about this! I use the hell out of AppShopper and rarely pay much, if anything, for my apps. Good recommendation :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.