Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Hi all,

I just wanted to know how your copy of ML is acting:
My upgrade from Lion is always having regulars spikes of cpu usage:

http://cl.ly/0T3V2F0Y22290T2H0J16

Is it just my upgrade that has a problem or is it the same for everyone on this DP4 ?

I did not try DP3 on my internal SSD, i've installed it on an external HDD so I cant compare.

Thanks for your feedback.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Run Activity Monitor and sort by % CPU column to monitor the process that is spiking up. My guess is either Mail or Spotlight indexer (mds or mdsworker). If former, decrease frequency of checking for new messages. If later, wait for indexing to complete.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Run Activity Monitor and sort by % CPU column to monitor the process that is spiking up. My guess is either Mail or Spotlight indexer (mds or mdsworker). If former, decrease frequency of checking for new messages. If later, wait for indexing to complete.

It's multiple instance of mdworker and 1 mds.

What should I do ? is it spotlight that have "crashed"/corrupt index ?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's multiple instance of mdworker and 1 mds.

What should I do ? is it spotlight that have "crashed"/corrupt index ?

Click the Spotlight icon (or hit command-space). It will tell you the current indexing status, if any. If it is indexing, wait for it to finish. Your Mac may run slow while indexing is in progress.

If it isn't, but still very slow, open System Preferences | Spotlight | Privacy | + | Select "Macintosh HD" on the top middle dropdown | Choose. Once "Macintosh HD" is added, hit "-" to remove and restart Spotlight index. It will probably take 30 minutes to an hour to finish reindexing.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Click the Spotlight icon (or hit command-space). It will tell you the current indexing status, if any. If it is indexing, wait for it to finish. Your Mac may run slow while indexing is in progress.

If it isn't, but still very slow, open System Preferences | Spotlight | Privacy | + | Select "Macintosh HD" on the top middle dropdown | Choose. Once "Macintosh HD" is added, hit "-" to remove and restart Spotlight index. It will probably take 30 minutes to an hour to finish reindexing.

It could be a bug/spotlight corruption: As you stated I reindexed everything (WOW 4h!!!) but there was also the update... Anyway after that, everything when back in order!

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.