Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
California
More space in folders: especially for the iPhone. Right now you a max of 12 apps, with the extra row you should be able to go to 16 and it could still go to 20 and be fine. Whatever they do should be the same in the iPad.

Folder Sync: I hate, HATE having to set up folders for every device separately. That is ridiculous. You should be able to set them up once and populate them and have that go to all your devices.

Self-Filing Folders: It would be nice when you download an app if it would ask you right then where you want it and maybe suggest a folder or 3 based on your previously filed apps. It's supposed to be a "smart" phone, right? Why should it play dumb with easy tasks like this?

Siri control of General Settings Especially Wifi On/Off, Bluetooth On/Off, Cellular On/Off

Siri control of starting and switching Apps

Siri different voice options: I would prefer having a choice of voices for Siri, particularly with accents. You can change the voice now but most features are tied to the region of the voice. The region should be independent of the voice. I would love to have some British or Aussie/NZ accents. I realize I might fall for Siri, but I understand the risks ;)

Favorites: I see the value of the Home Apps line to always make the certain apps available. Could there be more? Could this be a multi-page line? Right now you have the freedom to put 4 of whatever you want on the iPhone. Would it work to have more here? Or maybe a favorites block on the pull-down screen for recent items.

NFC Capability and Settings: C'mon, it's time

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I just want the jailbreak to come out soon after the release so I can jailbreak it and then have features Apple should have included years ago.

The primary reasons I jailbreak: Gesture unlock, weather on lock screen, NC settings (toggles in notification center), pictures in messages/email/contacts, springtomize customizations, activator.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Judging from the new application Passport, its probably coming in the new iPhone.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
What about Siri APIs for third party apps? I'd love to be able to play songs on Spotify with Siri for example.

My responses in bold

More space in folders: especially for the iPhone. Right now you a max of 12 apps, with the extra row you should be able to go to 16 and it could still go to 20 and be fine. Whatever they do should be the same in the iPad. What "extra" row? Are you referring to the rumored iPhone 5? How do you know it won't? Hold back this compaint till then. But for now, I think the folders are as big as they can be

Folder Sync: I hate, HATE having to set up folders for every device separately. That is ridiculous. You should be able to set them up once and populate them and have that go to all your devices. This I don't understand... How many "devices" do you own? All you should need is a maximum of 1 iPhone and 1 iPad. How would you expect these folders to sync when majority of apps aren't universal... It would only complicate things.

Self-Filing Folders: It would be nice when you download an app if it would ask you right then where you want it and maybe suggest a folder or 3 based on your previously filed apps. It's supposed to be a "smart" phone, right? Why should it play dumb with easy tasks like this? I disagree. I think this would be more frusterating than anything. I usually don't want to put my apps in folders. Plus I like to test drive my apps for a while before I place them in a permanent place like a folder. Plus it's nice to keep new apps out in a more prominent location so I remember to try them out.

Siri control of General Settings Especially Wifi On/Off, Bluetooth On/Off, Cellular On/Off Sure. I never actually turn any of those 3 off... but I could see how that might be useful to some. At least bluetooth is now easier to access. I'm sure Siri will be able to do this eventually

Siri control of starting and switching Apps /// uhhh siri can open apps in iOS 6

Siri different voice options: I would prefer having a choice of voices for Siri, particularly with accents. You can change the voice now but most features are tied to the region of the voice. The region should be independent of the voice. I would love to have some British or Aussie/NZ accents. I realize I might fall for Siri, but I understand the risks ;) I would rather Siri work on understanding people and various accents rather than picking up accents or different voices of her own. A bit gimmicky.

Favorites: I see the value of the Home Apps line to always make the certain apps available. Could there be more? Could this be a multi-page line? Right now you have the freedom to put 4 of whatever you want on the iPhone. Would it work to have more here? Or maybe a favorites block on the pull-down screen for recent items. I assume by "home apps line" you mean the dock. it would be terrible if apple made "pages" of icons on the dock. the purpose of it is to easily access your most common apps. If you want more, do what I did. Put a folder in the dock

NFC Capability and Settings: C'mon, it's time dude, this is hardware. If Apple is doing this we will know with the iPhone 5

Do you really think these are the main omissions from iOS 6?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Should have a dot unlock option in addition to the passcode one. I know it's an Android "thing", but I like it much better than the 4 digit passcode and it's so much quicker to unlock with it. AndroidLockXT FTW! :D

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
Need file-like system so you can upload to websites. iPad could use some nice widgets and iPhone stock apps.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Should have a dot unlock option in addition to the passcode one. I know it's an Android "thing", but I like it much better than the 4 digit passcode and it's so much quicker to unlock with it. AndroidLockXT FTW! :D

Just guessing here but this is probably why they don't implement such a thing
20120214_Smudged_Nexus_S_001.jpg

----------

Need file-like system so you can upload to websites.

They really got my hopes up with the whole upload photos to websites through safari thing. I want something like the photos app but for files (call it docs) that I can save to from anywhere, access via usb sans itunes, and use in the same manner. Why this isn't already here and we have this stupid interapp doc copy mechanism is beyond me.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Apple is conservative with screen locking mechanisms for a reason. Today, there was an article on Slashdot about how one Android phone's facial recognition was able to be fooled by a picture. The Android "connect the dot" unlocker fails due to what was shown above.

There is little to no physical protection for a smartphone, so the unlock mechanism, should the user choose to enable it has to be very strong. No gimmicks, but something decently strong and robust.

Here is what I would like to see:

1: Either a developer key, or a disclaimer to allow the equivalent of jailbroken access to the device. This way, if someone decides to do this, they can't scream at Apple for letting them shoot themselves in the foot. This likely won't happen, but it would be nice to have complete control over one's phone and use it for things that it was never designed for. For example, one old smartphone I have does DNS and Squid caching for faster Web access on my local network.

2: Actual blacklisting of numbers. Apple should look at Mr. Number to see how it is done right. This Android app checks a central database to check unknown numbers if they are telemarketers, survey pushers or other vermin, and automatically blocks them. No spam over SMS either.

3: Ability to not just back up apps, but archive them. There are a lot of games I have which I don't play, don't save the save game files in the Documents folder for retrieval via iTunes, and I don't want to lose their save game files. I can either delete the game, losing all saved progress, save a backup of the complete iDevice, or jailbreak and use a Cydia utility like Appbackup or Pkgbackup. There is a utility for Android that allows apps to be individually saved off and archived, even with encryption, so when I finish a game, I can copy it off and delete it.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
more space in folders: at least on my 4S and 4 after you get a certain number of apps in a folder it slows down. There is a noticeable delay in opening folders once they have so many apps in them. Thats a good reason for apple to limit the number of apps per folder. Maybe with the next iPhone we'll see them increase this.

siri starting apps: As others have said, this has been announced and is a feature of iOS 6 already.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
All I want is cursor control on the on screen keyboard.

Is that so hard to understand? How can Apple miss something so basic yet so fundamentally important.

How many times do you go to edit, and the doggone magnifying glass lands your editing cursor one character to the left of what you want to change?

Oh, wait, I want two things. A DELETE key on the on screen keyboard. Ditto to the above.

Please?

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
more space in folders: at least on my 4S and 4 after you get a certain number of apps in a folder it slows down. There is a noticeable delay in opening folders once they have so many apps in them. Thats a good reason for apple to limit the number of apps per folder. Maybe with the next iPhone we'll see them increase this.

siri starting apps: As others have said, this has been announced and is a feature of iOS 6 already.

Is it possible it's just the total number of apps on your phone. I never noticed slowness opening folders on my 4 or 4s with the max number of apps in them.

----------

More space in folders: especially for the iPhone. Right now you a max of 12 apps, with the extra row you should be able to go to 16 and it could still go to 20 and be fine. Whatever they do should be the same in the iPad.

Folder Sync: I hate, HATE having to set up folders for every device separately. That is ridiculous. You should be able to set them up once and populate them and have that go to all your devices.

Self-Filing Folders: It would be nice when you download an app if it would ask you right then where you want it and maybe suggest a folder or 3 based on your previously filed apps. It's supposed to be a "smart" phone, right? Why should it play dumb with easy tasks like this?

Siri control of General Settings Especially Wifi On/Off, Bluetooth On/Off, Cellular On/Off

Siri control of starting and switching Apps

Siri different voice options: I would prefer having a choice of voices for Siri, particularly with accents. You can change the voice now but most features are tied to the region of the voice. The region should be independent of the voice. I would love to have some British or Aussie/NZ accents. I realize I might fall for Siri, but I understand the risks ;)

Favorites: I see the value of the Home Apps line to always make the certain apps available. Could there be more? Could this be a multi-page line? Right now you have the freedom to put 4 of whatever you want on the iPhone. Would it work to have more here? Or maybe a favorites block on the pull-down screen for recent items.

Nice ideas. I don't care about the different voice options but the others I like

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
3: Ability to not just back up apps, but archive them. There are a lot of games I have which I don't play, don't save the save game files in the Documents folder for retrieval via iTunes, and I don't want to lose their save game files. I can either delete the game, losing all saved progress, save a backup of the complete iDevice, or jailbreak and use a Cydia utility like Appbackup or Pkgbackup. There is a utility for Android that allows apps to be individually saved off and archived, even with encryption, so when I finish a game, I can copy it off and delete it.

I wish they'd use game center for this. That way it could sync between devices as well.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Is it possible it's just the total number of apps on your phone. I never noticed slowness opening folders on my 4 or 4s with the max number of apps in them.

----------

Nice ideas. I don't care about the different voice options but the others I like

I meant while jailbroken with no limit on # of apps per folder. With the regular 12 per folder its fine but once you add more it starts to lag

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
More space in folders: especially for the iPhone. Right now you a max of 12 apps, with the extra row you should be able to go to 16 and it could still go to 20 and be fine. Whatever they do should be the same in the iPad. Agree, although they would do a multiple of 3, so it would be 15 or 18, not 16 or 20.

Folder Sync: I hate, HATE having to set up folders for every device separately. That is ridiculous. You should be able to set them up once and populate them and have that go to all your devices. I can see how that would be useful.

Self-Filing Folders: It would be nice when you download an app if it would ask you right then where you want it and maybe suggest a folder or 3 based on your previously filed apps. It's supposed to be a "smart" phone, right? Why should it play dumb with easy tasks like this? Like smart playlists? I like it.

Siri control of General Settings Especially Wifi On/Off, Bluetooth On/Off, Cellular On/Off I'd rather toggles than this.

Siri control of starting and switching Apps It's in iOS 6

Siri different voice options: I would prefer having a choice of voices for Siri, particularly with accents. You can change the voice now but most features are tied to the region of the voice. The region should be independent of the voice. I would love to have some British or Aussie/NZ accents. I realize I might fall for Siri, but I understand the risks ;) I'd like this.

Favorites: I see the value of the Home Apps line to always make the certain apps available. Could there be more? Could this be a multi-page line? Right now you have the freedom to put 4 of whatever you want on the iPhone. Would it work to have more here? Or maybe a favorites block on the pull-down screen for recent items. Not a bad idea at all.

Maybe in the next iPhone, but NFC doesn't have any real major benefits at this time.

comments in the quote.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I want quick settings in the notification bar. Why is the so difficult. We know they can change up the notification section. So add quick settings!!
I want this too.

As for the OP, you can use Siri to launch and switch between apps in iOS6.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The ONLY thing that is missing for me is quicker access to wifi/Bluetooth/brightness toggles. Other than that, iOS 6 pretty much addresses all of my annoyances.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Just guessing here but this is probably why they don't implement such a thing Image

I own a Galaxy Nexus and this picture is garbage. Unless you covered your finger in a ridiculous amount of grease and tried to unlock your phone, this doesnt actually happen in day to day use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.