PDA

View Full Version : Apple Preparing to Seed Developer Builds of OS X 10.7.5

MacRumors
Jun 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/apple-preparing-to-seed-developer-builds-of-os-x-10-7-5/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/os_x_lion_icon-150x150.jpg

With the public release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming next month, some have wondered whether the current OS X 10.7.4 will be the final maintenance update for OS X Lion. OS X 10.7.4 was released to the public (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/09/apple-releases-os-x-10-7-4/) in early May, and the timeline would be tight for releasing another update prior to the debut of Mountain Lion.

AppleInsider now reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/18/apple_preparing_first_external_betas_of_os_x_1075.html) that Apple is preparing to begin seeding builds of a new OS X 10.7.5 to developers in the coming days. No details on the upcoming release have yet been revealed, as the first sign of impending developer builds typically comes from Apple's developer programs simply posting new discussion forums related to the releases.

The new Retina MacBook Pro is currently shipping with a special build of OS X 10.7.4 to include Retina-capable versions of core OS X apps, although Retina capabilities have been showing with increasing visibility throughout the various versions of OS X Lion and now developer builds of OS X Mountain Lion. It is unknown whether these new machines will receive a special build of OS X 10.7.5 or if Apple will incorporate the new Retina display capabilities into a single OS X 10.7.5 build available for all Macs even if they do not support ultra-high resolutions.

A timetable for a public release of OS X 10.7.5 is also currently unknown, including whether it will appear before or after OS X Mountain Lion is released to the public. Apple has on occasion released full maintenance updates after the launch of a successor operating system, most recently with Mac OS X 10.4.11 arriving nearly three weeks after the debut of Mac OS X Leopard, but the company typically limits its older operating systems to security fixes once their successors have launched.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Seed Developer Builds of OS X 10.7.5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/apple-preparing-to-seed-developer-builds-of-os-x-10-7-5/)

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Interesting... I wonder what, if any, new features from Mountain Lion will end up in Mac OS 10.7.5...

Edit:

Things I have in mind are retina support... and maybe something that recognizes calls to, say, Notification Center, and reroutes them so as to not crash the app.

Only reason I bring that up is I was planning on writing something that does just that today... (some kind of macro that adds in checks for whether the computer has Notification Center and rerouting the notification to an alert window and simply going forward with the command if it does have Notification Center.)

alksion
Jun 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Does this get rid of Mission Control comments in 3,2,1...

ghostface147
Jun 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
Damn and I just just loaded developer preview 4 of ML.

d4rkc4sm
Jun 18, 2012, 03:19 PM
slow news day or what...?

builds not actually being seeded, but being prepared to be seeded?

CIA
Jun 18, 2012, 03:24 PM
Hopefully OS level integrated USB 3 support so us MacPro users can finally buy cheap plug and play USB3 PCIe cards without having to deal with drivers, updating drivers, troubleshooting drivers... etc.

Oh and TRIM support for 3rd party SSD's without jumping though hoops would be nice also.

IzzyJG99
Jun 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
Given how the preferences for Security changed so much from 10.7.2 to 10.7.4 I suspect there'll be security updates to bring it up to par with what Mountain Lion will be sporting. Maybe.

Probably just general update filler in 10.7.5. I doubt they'll add much if anything to Lion that will be introduced in Mountain Lion. 50/50 chance it'll be either Notification Center or Messages being dished out to Lion users. And then a 50/50 chance of them actually doing that. We'll see.

I just assume not have either Messages or Notification Center.

WildCowboy
Jun 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
slow news day or what...?

builds not actually being seeded, but being prepared to be seeded?

It's more notable than usual since there's been some question as to whether there would even be a 10.7.5 at this point.

HarryPot
Jun 18, 2012, 03:46 PM
Would there be any reason someone stays of from Mountain Lion and keep Lion?

I get people staying in Snow Leopard. But from Lion, I think things can only get better. Truly, I like the design and new features of Lion, but so far it has been far from being a stable release.

potatis
Jun 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
why don't they just call Mountain Lion 10.7.6 instead?

daneoni
Jun 18, 2012, 04:06 PM

I get people staying in Snow Leopard. But from Lion, I think things can only get better. Truly, I like the design and new features of Lion, but so far it has been far from being a stable release.

There's no built in RSS support in Mountain Lion. Also some systems simply can't run it. So yea there are reasons.

Because its not a point update.

benwiggy
Jun 18, 2012, 04:08 PM
Any chance of some bug fixes? I've filed seven in November, and not one has a response. Not even "Cannot reproduce, works as expected."

Most of the bugs I've found relate to Quartz Filters, PDF Services, and Preview. These are features and frameworks that haven't been altered (outwardly) since 10.6, but are now fundamentally broken. Perhaps this is the improved security?

(For the record, these are all completely reproducible, 100% repeatable, major functions that clearly just don't work anymore.)

For how long will Apple keep supporting bug fixes and development on Lion after 10.8 comes out?

Divindude
Jun 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
I'm betting this update is the one that finally does in MobileMe

wikus
Jun 18, 2012, 04:55 PM
Does this get rid of Mission Control comments in 3,2,1...

Hopefully not. All the complaints against Mission Control are absolutely valid and warranted. Apple completely failed with Mission Control. Expose was a great experience; Apple's done a great job by removing a feature of OS X and given us a rehashed version of it that has near ZERO customization.

Strangely enough, a lot of people, especially macrumors members are opposed to even having choice in system preferences to setup and customize Mission Control.

IzzyJG99
Jun 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
Hopefully not. All the complaints against Mission Control are absolutely valid and warranted. Apple completely failed with Mission Control. Expose was a great experience; Apple's done a great job by removing a feature of OS X and given us a rehashed version of it that has near ZERO customization.

Strangely enough, a lot of people, especially macrumors members are opposed to even having choice in system preferences to setup and customize Mission Control.

I'm not so sure that many consumer level users....use either Mission Control or Expose. I think it's mainly used amongst pro level consumers who need multiple desktop real estate space. Maybe I'm wrong. I've just never had any use for either.

Same goes for Launchpad. I've never used it. I have the applications folder in my dock and it pops out nice and clean. I think Apple threw Launchpad into Lion just so the OS looks similar to iOS in the hopes of drawing people over from the iPhone and iPad user group.

But different strokes for different folks.

commander.data
Jun 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
It makes sense to release a final 10.7.5 in order to roll the new WWDC 2012 Macs into mainline Lion. It'll greatly simplify future security updates, iTunes updates, Java updates, etc. by not having to worry about a bunch of custom 10.7.4 builds.

bedifferent
Jun 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
Because its not a point update.

I believe we both know his "point" was 10.8 addresses many of the issues in 10.7 without bringing much to the dinner table, unlike 10.6 was to 10.5. Unless iOS gimmicks and a new Dock are all that...

daneoni
Jun 18, 2012, 06:54 PM
...except it does bring a lot (http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html) both on the surface and under the table.

Mr. Wonderful
Jun 18, 2012, 07:09 PM
At this point, I hope I don't have to upgrade to 10.7.5 to get 10.8.

chrfr
Jun 18, 2012, 07:14 PM
The WWDC keynote announcement was that 10.8 was $19.95 for users of 10.6.x and 10.7.x.

Naaaaak
Jun 18, 2012, 07:22 PM

Yep, my Mac Pro can't run it and no way will I buy one of the "new" ones that were just released.

heisetax
Jun 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
Yep, my Mac Pro can't run it and no way will I buy one of the "new" ones that were just released.

My current MacPro will not but I have someone that will pay me enough for it & the support I will give him to purchase a new Mac Pro. I wonder what it is that our Aug-Sep 2006 Mac Pros are lacking. I never did hear what it is. Do you know?

MrNomNoms
Jun 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
Hopefully OS level integrated USB 3 support so us MacPro users can finally buy cheap plug and play USB3 PCIe cards without having to deal with drivers, updating drivers, troubleshooting drivers... etc.

Oh and TRIM support for 3rd party SSD's without jumping though hoops would be nice also.

I've been keeping my eye on a PCIe expansion case for Thunderbolt and wondering whether it is possible to purchase a USB3 PCIe card with it working out of the box or does it require special drivers?

usptact
Jun 19, 2012, 02:51 AM
Interesting. I don't know if that was smart move to migrate from SL to Lion for my MBP 2008, but the system is pretty snappy. That way I will not be totally outdated :D
Buy new MBP? No, thanks. My old one works just fine.

jlnr
Jun 19, 2012, 03:50 AM
I don't understand why Apple has excluded machines from upgrading to 10.8 at all. It seems to be a step up from 10.7 for absolutely everybody, unlike 10.7, which has removed some 10.6 features like iSync, Rosetta, server stuff.

Is there *anything* missing in 10.8 that 10.7 can do? Support for old-style FileVault maybe? Or is there anything in 10.8 that really requires more horsepower than 10.7? Even all the HiDPI stuff has been crammed into 10.7 by now.

I wish they'd just give everyone 10.8 so developers would only have to deal with 10.8 and maybe 10.6, but not 10.7.

unplugme71
Jun 19, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm pretty sure these are definite changes:

MobileMe scrapped
iMessage support
Security Updates
Bug Fixes
Retina Support

I don't see Notification Center coming to Lion because its a touted feature of ML. However, iMessage I can definitely see coming just like FaceTime was available for SL. Although you may have to pay 0.99 to buy iMessage from the App Store.

Things I'd like to see would be TRIM support, fix bug during login so I don't get the beachball of death, and fix hang up during normal use that prevents me from doing anything except holding the power button.

milo
Jun 19, 2012, 10:25 AM

The main reason would be if their mac isn't supported. Probably also some compatibility issues (things that only have 32 bit drivers etc).

Not really an option since it drops support for a number of macs. And it's a big enough change that it breaks compatibility with some things, even if some don't consider it a big update, it's too different to label as a point update.

Nope, you can skip from 10.6.8.

bedifferent
Jun 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
...except it does bring a lot (http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html) both on the surface and under the table.

That's amusing as alot of the "new features" are old ones Apple removed from OS X and now returned as "new". "Save As..."? Revolutionary! :rolleyes:

Check the WWDC threads on Apple's OS X 10.8 announcement, hundreds of comments on the same matter. Shame that iOS and the consumer market have chipped away at actual advancements and quality.

milo
Jun 19, 2012, 10:56 AM
That's amusing as alot of the "new features" are old ones Apple removed from OS X and now returned as "new".

I am glad they reverted on things that make sense. There are also a number of features that really are new as well.

benwiggy
Jun 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
I really don't understand why I've been marked down to -2 for saying "there are bugs in Lion; I'm concerned about whether they're going to be fixed after ML's release".

If Apple now has an annual cycle of OS releases, and some hardware will be excluded each time (as is the case with ML), then the level of support for last year's OS is a valid issue.

I've been singing Apple's praises since 1988, even in the dark days of the late 90s: I'm not a troll. But I'm not blinkered to the possibility that Apple doesn't always get it right, either.

cammonro
Jun 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
I really don't understand why I've been marked down to -2 for saying "there are bugs in Lion; I'm concerned about whether they're going to be fixed after ML's release".

I'm totally with you and voted you up. I love Apple but I'm concerned about quality control now that Steve is gone. Where's the attention to detail? Snow Leopard was a labor of love. They actually made the O/S smaller!

Lion is a step backwards. If I could've run iCloud on Snow Leopard no way I would've upgraded to Lion. It's buggy, bloated and manages RAM terribly. The spinning beach ball is my new friend thanks to Lion even though I have 8GB of RAM on my loaded 2011 Macbook Pro. And as of 10.7.4 well known bugs still aren't addressed (e.g. the chronic randomization of LaunchPad icons on startup).

The only reason I'll be upgrading to Mountain Lion is the hope that the bugs will be fixed. And yes I'm peeved that I would be paying for bug fixes but at this stage it's better than going back to Windoze (perish the thought).

daneoni
Jun 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
That's amusing as alot of the "new features" are old ones Apple removed from OS X and now returned as "new". "Save As..."? Revolutionary! :rolleyes:

Check the WWDC threads on Apple's OS X 10.8 announcement, hundreds of comments on the same matter. Shame that iOS and the consumer market have chipped away at actual advancements and quality.

Were you guys expecting the new OS to make you coffee or something.

Its like every new OS update; it seeks to correct mistakes of past version(s) and build on existing features/architecture.

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
Were you guys expecting the new OS to make you coffee or something.

Its like every new OS update; it seeks to correct mistakes of past version(s) and build on existing features/architecture.

Oh, I kid, of course not. However, Apple has stretched the "new features" list with items that seem to be thin at best. Apple engineers have been extremely focused on simplifying OS X into an iOS environment, at the cost of stability and progress into such area's as:

- A much needed revamped Finder (HFS+ is wearing very thing, I recall Leopard beta's with ZFS+, shame SunSystems went down and IP et al is keeping such a needed system out of OS X)

- OpenGL Core support (4+ is lagging and needed)

- Lagging support for the professional industry that carried Apple through its rough times and gave them the R&D to venture into Finger-works and multi-touch iOS devices

- Multi-display support

- USB 3.0 (for desktop systems)

- A desktop between a top iMac i7 and a base Mac Pro.

Many have needed this as iMac's are limiting in power (esp. for HD movie rendering), upgradability (leaving only RAM as user upgradable), on-site work/repairs/upgrades as a tower would allow graphics, HDD's, ODD's, eSATA upgrades, swapping out of parts on site should one break unlike an iMac which, if fried, needs off-site repairing which could take days or weeks. Before Apple switched to Intel, PowerMac G4/5's cost ~$1500, a $1k less than entry level Mac Pro's, and Apple offered one of three highly regarded CCFL LCD's, meaning you could purchase a work station for the same price as a well equipped Mac Pro. This has lead to many businesses pushing away from Apple, even with $100k+ for hardware/software upgrades, professionals and design firms/movie houses have realized that Apple is ignoring them while their sales plummet then turning around and claiming "it's because we live in a post-PC era". No dummies, it's because you are neglecting the professional market, which is turning to other platforms! I don't see movie houses replacing their power systems with iMac's, MacBook Pro's (for off-site work, not for heavy lifting), and iPad's. Never gonna happen. The claim that a tower priced around an iMac will cannibalize iMac sales is erroneous as Apple offered PowerMac's alongside iMac's for years; they catered to different markets.

Bottom line, those who have been with Apple since the 90's have watched it change and grow, but at the cost of quality and professional grade hardware and products. Apple can easily afford to focus some of those billions into the professional market, they'd make money and could even positively influence and change it as it has the consumer electronics industry. It's not a post-PC era, desktop will always be necessary as display real estate will always be needed. Most editors have two displays and a monitor for FCP work (or now, Avid Media Composer or Premiere Pro work). When the economy is in the shape it is, it is discouraging to those who make a living off Apple products to know we have become the red-headed stepchild of Apple, Inc. People forget, Steve Jobs worked on workstations, and a Mac Pro was his main go-to system.

daneoni
Jun 20, 2012, 04:11 PM
- A much needed revamped Finder (HFS+ is wearing very thing, I recall Leopard beta's with ZFS+, shame SunSystems went down and IP et al is keeping such a needed system out of OS X)

- OpenGL Core support (4+ is lagging and needed)

- Lagging support for the professional industry that carried Apple through its rough times and gave them the R&D to venture into Finger-works and multi-touch iOS devices

- Multi-display support

Well we are in agreement on these points. For sure.

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
Well we are in agreement on these points. For sure.

and, um, in retrospect, sorry for my rant. Caffeine high + online forums = a bad combo at times. :o