Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottdg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
I wasn't sure where to post this so I tried a couple places. Please excuse me for the duplicate thread.

Let me start by saying that I am not a "MAC Person". I am the admin for our company and I am trying to install a new MAC for our communications department. She installed Office X and is using Entourage as her e-mail client. We set up her Internet options in system preferences and went into Entourage to set up an account. I need to set it up to connect to an Exchange server. I set up an IMAP account and was having trouble connecting to the IMAP server. I then replaced the IMAP server name with the IP address and was able to connect. The problem is the user is stil receiving error messagessaying things such as "enexpected data encountered" with an error code 17997. She can then receive the e-mail but it is sometimes seeveral minutes after it has arrived.

I also know that there is a way to set up a schedule for mail to be sent and delivered. It seems as she can send e-mail and I will receive it almost instantly but e-mail sent to her address takes a while and sometimes does not appear until she goes to send and receive. I would like to bypass that step if possible.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Or point me in the direction where I can get my question answered.

Thanks.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
i could very well be wrong...but i believe i read somewhere that entourage is not very friendly with the exchange server...i read it someplace at mactopia (http://www.microsoft.com/mac)...

secondly...setting up the email to send and receive automatically is easy...just go to "tools" > "schedules" and you can go from there...it's very easy to setup to your needs...

good luck...jv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.