PDA

View Full Version : The Pelican, a cool news app for iPad

ronenbasch
Jun 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are pleased to introduce The Pelican, a news magazine that gathers the most interesting news stories from the best sources and presents them on your iPad in a gorgeous print-like format.

You can download The Pelican here:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-pelican/id523487333?mt=8

And meet the team here:
https://www.facebook.com/thepelicanapp

Thanks!
Ronen

sk1wbw
Jun 19, 2012, 06:08 AM
Looks nice, I'll use it over the next few days and see how I like it. :)

ronenbasch
Jun 19, 2012, 07:05 AM
I'm Looking forward to getting your feedback.

sk1wbw
Jun 19, 2012, 07:46 AM
Okay, spent 10 or 15 with it. Love it. It's fast and fluid, great news articles. Really really nice app. Great job! :)

cpnotebook80
Jun 19, 2012, 08:22 AM
great app.

I noticed on the new ipad, the top menu and logo is pixelated. I guess its not retina ready yet?

ronenbasch
Jun 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
Yay :)
If you have any more feedback I'd love to hear it. We are working on a new version with a better article page - once it will be ready I'll post it here.

In the meantime, you can stay up to date through our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/thepelicanapp[COLOR="#808080"]

ronenbasch
Jun 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
great app.

I noticed on the new ipad, the top menu and logo is pixelated. I guess its not retina ready yet?

You're right, It's not retina ready. The new resolution kind of caught us by surprise after the graphics were finished.
I hope we'll get to it in one of the next versions.

ipsychedelic
Jun 19, 2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks, I love these kind of apps.
I'll try it and letcha know (apart from the now obvious claim of making it Retina ready :D)

ZipZap
Jun 20, 2012, 05:54 AM
You're right, It's not retina ready. The new resolution kind of caught us by surprise after the graphics were finished.
I hope we'll get to it in one of the next versions.

Do wait too long...momentum is important...and it will be a criticism.

By the way, on my iPAD 3 i searched for "The Pelican" and you app did not appear. I had to search for "Pelican" and then click "See All"

ronenbasch
Jun 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
Do wait too long...momentum is important...and it will be a criticism.

By the way, on my iPAD 3 i searched for "The Pelican" and you app did not appear. I had to search for "Pelican" and then click "See All"

I agree. Like everyone else who develops apps, we too have a lot more tasks than resources, but the retina issue is clearly one of the most important.

Regarding the search issue, seems odd. I'll try to add "the pelican" tag to the app in AppStore and see if it helps.

Thanks!
Ronen

spammerhamster
Jun 21, 2012, 07:37 AM
What makes this better than Zite, Taptu and the rest?

ronenbasch
Jun 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
What makes this better than Zite, Taptu and the rest?

We certainly don't think that The Pelican is better than Zite or other popular personalized magazines. We do however believe that it is quite different in it's approach.

For starters, it's not a personalized magazines. The Pelican does not require any personalisation but rather delivers the news from the best, hand picked sources for each category.

Another thing is the smart algorithm we designed for The Pelican. Instead of presenting the items by order of appearance, the algorithm uses traditional news logic - balancing between the most important and the most popular (interesting) items.

Last but not least - the design. The Pelican team has over twelve years of combined experience in print and digital newspapers design, and we believe it helped us create a very readable and coherent newspaper magazine. With some nice typography too :)

Hope this answers your question.

dogthateats
Jun 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
I too really enjoy the app. Are there any plans to incorporate a read it later type service in a future update?

ronenbasch
Jun 22, 2012, 05:13 AM
I too really enjoy the app. Are there any plans to incorporate a read it later type service in a future update?

We do have plans to incorporate read it later type services, but not in the near future I'm afraid

ipsychedelic
Jun 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
Well my impressions so far.
I really like it, but some of the sources seem limited (like a lot of engadget on Tech, and no first page about the FIFA Euro -arguably the biggest event going on right now-, but the latter is probably just based on the fact this is an US-focused app). But I know it could be the algorithm and it's approach, in which case you probably would tell me to use a personalized news app ;)
The dark gray background doesn't do it for me, I'm not really fond of the combination.
Retina display seems not to be so impressively scarce on this one (maybe it's the fact I'm using RetinaPad?), so it was fine and not like other apps that I closed because they look cheesy and old.
It appears to be a bit of a memory hog? Closed two times on me.
I'd also second that "read it later" service add on, which in my mind is almost a must for this kind of app.

Asides from that I enjoy the app, I think it does a pretty good job.

ronenbasch
Jun 23, 2012, 04:25 PM
Well my impressions so far.
I really like it, but some of the sources seem limited (like a lot of engadget on Tech, and no first page about the FIFA Euro -arguably the biggest event going on right now-, but the latter is probably just based on the fact this is an US-focused app). But I know it could be the algorithm and it's approach, in which case you probably would tell me to use a personalized news app ;)
The dark gray background doesn't do it for me, I'm not really fond of the combination.
Retina display seems not to be so impressively scarce on this one (maybe it's the fact I'm using RetinaPad?), so it was fine and not like other apps that I closed because they look cheesy and old.
It appears to be a bit of a memory hog? Closed two times on me.
I'd also second that "read it later" service add on, which in my mind is almost a must for this kind of app.

Asides from that I enjoy the app, I think it does a pretty good job.

Thanks for the feedback.
I have to say that I agree with most of your comments, but I'd still like to address them:

As for FIFA Euro, just as you wrote, it's because most of the sources are US focused. Still, the opening item on Tech right now is "Remembering Alan Turing at 100", and it's nice to see that inelegant and important items can be just as popular as the lighter ones.

The dark grey background - some people like it, some don't. Personally I find the dark grey theme easier on the eyes while reading in the dark, but this is just me.

Retina - this is and issue and we'll address it.

Memory Hog. Basically, The Pelican should work quite well on all iPads since the "heavy lifting" is done on our servers. We tested the app on several first generation iPads just to be sure. As for the crashes you experienced, this is a "bad thing" and I'd really like to know if it keeps happening.

Read It Later - we didn't think it was that important, but you guys are starting to change our minds.

Please keep your comments coming. We are trying to figure out priorities for the next updates, and this is exactly the kind of stuff that helps.

sonovale
Jun 23, 2012, 10:42 PM
It looks good:) I'll try this soon. Thank you ,Basch Interactive :)