PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Announces New 'Surface' Tablet, New Hardware and Software Based on Windows 8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

MacRumors
Jun 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-announces-new-surface-tablet-new-hardware-and-software-based-on-windows-8/)

Microsoft today unveiled a major tablet initiative (http://www.surface.com/) to compete with Apple's iPad, Google's Android, and its own PC hardware partners.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage22.png

The Microsoft Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/) is a 10.6" tablet powered by Windows 8, coming in two distinct versions -- both equipped with touch screens. One will be powered by an ARM processor and will be more like a traditional tablet running Windows RT. The other will be powered by Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge chips running the desktop version of Windows 8.

As reported by The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3094157/new-microsoft-surface-windows-tablet):
The Windows RT version is just 9.3mm thin, weighs 1.5lbs, includes a built-in kickstand and is the first PC with a vapor-deposited (PVD) magnesium case, according to Microsoft. It will ship in 32GB or 64GB versions.

Microsoft's Intel-based Surface tablet will run Windows 8 Pro, with a thickness of 13.5mm, a weight of 1.9lb, and USB 3.0 support. This particular version will also include magnesium casing and a built-in kickstand, but will ship with either 64GB or 128GB storage. The Intel version will include additional digital ink support through a pen that magnetizes to the body of the tablet.dpzu3HM2CIo
In addition to the tablet itself, Microsoft will sell two Smart Cover-like devices that attach magnetically to the Surface. Unlike Apple's add-on, which serves only as screen protection and as a stand, Microsoft's Touch Cover (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095396/microsoft-surface-cover-multitouch-keyboard) and Type Cover (http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095699/microsoft-type-cover-keyboard-surface-revealed) turn into a full-sized keyboard complete with a built-in trackpad. Microsoft says using the Touch Cover is "twice as efficient as typing on glass", a clear shot at the iPad's on-screen keyboard.

Microsoft did not share any information on pricing or availability, saying both the ARM and Intel editions would be price competitive with like products.

Article Link: Microsoft Announces New 'Surface' Tablet, New Hardware and Software Based on Windows 8 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-announces-new-surface-tablet-new-hardware-and-software-based-on-windows-8/)

Aidoneus
Jun 18, 2012, 07:13 PM
That's what the iPad is missing. Vents and cooling fans.

Matthew Yohe
Jun 18, 2012, 07:13 PM
Nice S̶m̶a̶r̶t̶ Touch Cover!

swordfish5736
Jun 18, 2012, 07:14 PM
it'll be interesting to see how they price these.

d4rkc4sm
going to be a failure. zune the sequel

Avicdar
Battery life? Will be interesting.

I'm a little surprised in a good way. Didn't think Microsoft had this in them. They spent way too long in their presentation talking about the keyboard though. They still don't understand ecosystem, content, apps.

We'll see.

JDee
I guess that Microsoft are going to do go town marketing that this is thinner than ‘similar devices’ (aka the iPad) when it’s precisely 0.002677165mm thinner.

At least Microsoft are taking their first shot with quality rather than plastic crap. I’m not sure whether they got their tactics right with a stand though. That keyboard will be a hit with many students.

Their presentation was very much formatted like Apple’s presentations. Getting executives to come up and say how things are so ‘extraordinary’ and how it ‘feels like you’re actually writing on paper’.

Probably a good start though for Microsoft. But if they really want to go for a simplistic approach & hit the jackpot, they need to stop bringing out 2+ different types of products like ‘Surface’ and ‘Surface RT’.

AbyssImpact
Jun 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
This device is way better than the new iPad.

sconnor99
Well it's very "Microsoft", it has a kickstand.

helix21
No matter how cool it looks (very and well done Microsoft!) it's value and appeal is irrelevant without

1. Price
2. Battery Life
3. Availability

None of the three were announced today.

Broojo02
I think the iPad looks a wee bit better side on :P

http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/gallery_2_large.jpg

iPhisch
The cover looks neat, but you can't use it to type unless you put the tablet on a table, no lap typing with that guy. And imo, I think Metro is pretty crap.

kbt1020
I'm so selling my iPad and get this mainly for the kickstand :D

KnightWRX
Wonder if the Intel version will have sufficiently standard PC hardware so that it can run Linux or if Microsoft plans to lock it down using UEFI secure boot. :(

This thing + Linux/FreeBSD would be a nice portable laptop like device.

anzio
Looks cool. However, Microsoft marketing team- that video is not the way to showcase the device. I'd watch an archaeology show if I wanted to see rocks chipped away at.

Reaktor5
I applaud Microsoft for doing something Google should have done with Android in releasing their own tablet. You can't hate on Microsoft for trying, competition is always a good thing.

goobot
Jun 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
It took more than 2 years, but the iPad actually has some decent competition finally.

DopeyFish
The keyboard, track pad, USB and pen input are what really drives the differentiation

I i think I may pick up a pro version because of these features

atomicbloke
This is the beginning of the end for the iPad and Apple.

Baklava
I like the ad very much.

DiSTURBED-oNE
Props to Microsoft for designing something different instead of just copying, unlike other manufactures. ;)

BrownManUPS
I'm really rooting for this to be great, just so Apple can get a fire under their belly to do that much better, once again. Competition is what makes innovation happen.

MrViking
They need to be sued for the snap-on magnetic cover..

This is even worse infringement than Samsung has ever done :/

Reaktor5
Jun 18, 2012, 07:17 PM

No, this is the beginning of real tablet competition in the marketplace.

sikkinixx
depending on price (I'm still saying $899 for the low end Pro, plus $99 for the keyboard) could be really awesome.

But yeah... no price, no battery life, no date? really? REALLY?

uknowimright

what fans?

KnightWRX
I applaud Microsoft for doing something Google should have done with Android in releasing their own tablet. You can't hate on Microsoft for trying, competition is always a good thing.

The Asus Transformer Prime ? :confused:

Certinfy
Exactly the reason I've waited years for a tablet. Said it before that a Windows 8 tablet would be the first tablet I buy and keep and this is definitely it. Everything about it seems amazing! :)

MartiNZ
The video was a minute we won't be getting back ... I was really hoping for some actual use case demonstrations, but never mind.

Looks very cool though, really interested to see how this one OS to rule all devices goes with MS.

Jasoco
They haven't even announced the price. If priced right, it could give the iPad a run for its money. If priced wrong, it'll be the Zune of tablets.

If it is priced well, I hope Apple has something really special up their sleeve for the iPad 4. Problem is this is full Windows. What we need is a full Photoshop for iOS. Not just another "touch" version. Real full PhotoShop.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
Trailer for a horror movie?

I'll admit the video was cool, but I found the flashes and distortions to be very horror-esque. The music was also a little odd (although I suppose it went with the video well enough.)

So Random
Confused laptop or confused tablet?

sarcosis
I look at the RT version of this think it's got a shot. As much as i like the iPad, competition is good and this could give the iPad this sorely needed invigoration to make so meting spectacular. The pro version however is very compelling. I don't think it's the same market segment as the iPad since it's geared towards productivity and will be a boom for any non-IT person who needs to do work on it and just needs their kit to do office stuff. Many different applications that I can see working for this one.

Navdakilla
Interesting, we'll have to see more details before anyone can make up their mind on this

sconnor99

First the Zune killed the iPOd and now this will kill the iPad, I can't wait to try the kickstand

sbrhwkp3
I love the keyboard! Will need it for CTRL-ALT-Delete! :D

TOYSTER17
Jun 18, 2012, 07:19 PM

:rolleyes:

Nicolasdec
I Think it's really cool. Good job Microsoft, finally something to keep apple on their toes!!! The kickstand is a bit 1998 thou.

uknowimright

confused poster

chrono1081

Hardly. Have you actually used Windows 8?

deannnnn
That keyboard idea is genius.

KnightWRX
They need to be sued for the snap-on magnetic cover..

This is even worse infringement than Samsung has ever done :/

Hum, Apple doesn't own snap-on magnetic covers. They own a design patent over the look of the smart cover, but that includes all the design elements this doesn't copy :

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/25/apple_wins_smart_cover_time_machine_patents.html

What would Apple be suing over ? And the Easyclip glass maker might have a say if Apple tries to claim they own "snap-on magnetic type covers". ;)

dukeblue91
Jun 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'm not a big Microsoft fan but this looks really cool.
Well executed MS.
But let's see how it preforms and what the pricing will be.

So Random
confused poster

I doubt I'm the only one.

Unggoy Murderer
Thumbs up for Microsoft, that's a really cool device! People say it's a Smart Cover, but it's more an "evolution" than an imitation. I don't say this often, but Microsoft took that to the next level.

If they release that at a price point close to the iPad, that's a killer device.

ArtOfWarfare

confused tabtop or laplet?

identity
Hum, Apple doesn't own snap-on magnetic covers. They own a design patent over the look of the smart cover, but that includes all the design elements this doesn't copy :

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/25/apple_wins_smart_cover_time_machine_patents.html

What would Apple be suing over ? And the Easyclip glass maker might have a say if Apple tries to claim they own "snap-on magnetic type covers". ;)

Just ignore the homerism.

gkarris
Jun 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
One of the few iPad complaints for me is lack of trackpad/mouse support to make it easier to use on a desk (with a trackpad your hands never leave the keyboard and your fingers never have to touch the screen).

At least Microsoft seems to be listening...

Timzer
Craaaaaaazy!!! True Game Changer. Can't wait to pick up a Windows 8 Tablet.

Sixtafoua
It looks really nice. I'm not a big fan of tablet keyboards, but It looks like this is the first tablet that's really going to give laptops a run for their money.

DougB541
No, this is the beginning of real tablet competition in the marketplace.

The tablet wars begun have they.

uknowimright
I doubt I'm the only one.

yeah, humanity has gotten quite sad

mojohanna
Jun 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Exactly the reason I've waited years for a tablet. Said it before that a Windows 8 tablet would be the first tablet I buy and keep and this is definitely it. Everything about it seems amazing! :)

Thats a bold statement to make considering you know nothing of the details. ;)

RodThePlod
It's not as innovative as I'd have hoped. Granted, the keyboard looks nice. But all Microsoft have done is taken the smart cover (magnets and all) and added some keys to it.

Other than that, it's just another tablet.

With a kickstand :rolleyes:

RTP.

arian19
Officially, BYE BYE Android.. and i Can Say it's now a strong compittion between the Elders!! = Microsoft vs Apple... that give me chills!

DopeyFish

Convergence

This is really going to win over professional crowd

Don't know how well Surface (RT) will do with consumers against iPad... But I'm sure the pro will likely be a winner

DougB541
They aren't going to price themselves out of the market.

Some specs for those interested:
http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/renderingassets/surfacespecsheet.pdf

bboucher790
Jun 18, 2012, 07:23 PM
I like the cover / keyboard idea. It's obvious that Windows 8 was built for this device and not for desktop users. It's sparked my interest, but I will need to see more before I'm sold.

wickerman1893
If the price and battery life are both within range of The New iPad, this could be a real contender.

Reaktor5

I want Google to make a tablet themselves and do some cool hardware/software integration.

pohl
"We believe that any intersection between human and machine can be made better when every aspect of the experience, hardware and software, are considered together.". --Steve Ballmer

ZZ Bottom
Yay for Pen Input on the pro model!

But as someone else pointed out, sure hope the pro model isn't locked down to prevent other OS's from being installed.

aussie_geek
Jun 18, 2012, 07:24 PM

Too early for fanboi comments yet.

Windows 8 is perfect for tablets. It just gives consumers another choice between iOS and android.

Competition is good- keeps the industry fresh.

sconnor99
One of the few iPad complaints for me is lack of trackpad/mouse support to make it easier to use on a desk (with a trackpad your hands never leave the keyboard and your fingers never have to touch the screen).

MacBook Air, you never have to touch it's screen as well.

----------

"We believe that any intersection between human and machine can be made better when every aspect of the experience, hardware and software, are considered together.". --Steve Ballmer

Priceless!

derbladerunner
confused tabtop or laplet?

Two versions (one with WindowsRT, the other with Windows8Pro) might be confusing for the average consumer. PDF Spec sheet here:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

As others mentioned, lots of open questions (battery life?, price?, available late 2012 or early 2013?).

This could either be the most serious competitor to the iPad or the next Zune failure - depending on pricing for the cheaper WindowsRT version.

Might do well with business customers and students though (digital ink option) - and hurt MS hardware partners the most. Dell, Asus won't be too happy paying $85 for WinRT only to compete with MS' own tablet.

djst
It looks like it is trying to be everything in one.
Pad? Laptop?,ultrabook?
Maybe too much, too late.

mcsenerd
Jun 18, 2012, 07:25 PM

This is not an iPad competitor...it's an ultrabook competitor. This is perpetuation of the only game MS knows...traditional PCs...

Inakto
cool concept, buy knowing microsoft they will find a way to screw it up.

Oh wait, they did, it runs windows 8

Piggie
I like the idea of a kick stand.
Why is an ultra thin stand that flips flush into the back of a device worse than either nothing, so you have to prop it up against a book or something, or a cover you have to buy than the roll up to make a wobbly stand?

The iPad should of had some kind of stand in it from day one.

BigHonkingDeal
Typical Windows Vapor ware.... No specs, No price, No release date. The pro version is probably more than the $1199.- MacBook Air and who knows when it will be available.

I owned the original Microsoft Tablet PC from Compaq in 2000 and all I remember from that experience is the sluggish performance and the never ending fan sound :)

Microsoft did not share any information on pricing or availability, saying both the ARM and Intel editions would be price competitive with like products......

This device is way better than the new iPad.

butterfly0fdoom
Hardly. Have you actually used Windows 8?

Yes, and it just makes me want this Surface even more.

joemama
Jun 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
Uuuummmm....Does anyone else see a patent violation with their magnet locking system/Smart Cover ripoff?

But I must say, aside from the exact iPad copy, it looks nice. The keyboard looks killer.

mrpither
Jun 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
how soon til Mountain Lion is running on this thing???
then setup a bootcamp partition for windows 8...
:cool:

uknowimright
Jun 18, 2012, 07:27 PM
Uuuummmm....Does anyone else see a patent violation with their magnet locking system/Smart Cover ripoff?

But I must say, aside from the exact iPad copy, it looks nice. The keyboard looks killer.

not if you know what you are talking about!

mcsenerd
Too early for fanboi comments yet.

Windows 8 is perfect for tablets. It just gives consumers another choice between iOS and android.

when they do something to actually innovate instead of imitate...I'll bite and agree that such a thing would be good. But this is certainly no competitor to the iPad and I'm going to go out on a limb that if it is even close to the iPad in price...whomever makes it and sells it will take a bloodbath of lost money on it compared to the iPad's margins.

btbeme
Can I get one in brown?

rick98761
Jun 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
Some of you guys on here are pretty sad. I love apple. I use an iPhone, iPad, and have a new MacBook Pro retina. I also have several windows pcs. Some of you are dismissing this just because it is from Microsoft. First off, it is a very cool product. The windows rt version will hopefully give the iPad a run for its money. We all know the tablet space needs some competition. Right now it's just apple competing with themselves.

If apple would have came out and announced this exact tablet with iOS you would all be talking how incredible and innovative it is.

It doesn't hurt to look at the competition sometimes.

swarmster
Selling two versions of your new platform running incompatible software seems a little odd, but I suppose that's what comes from having to try to please everyone...

What I can't for the life of me figure out is what "twice as efficient as typing on glass" means. Is it a surface harder than glass? Because if not, aren't you wasting energy compressing 'keys' or whatever material is used instead? Or is this just a new brilliant way to market smaller-than-standard keyboards (which are of course more efficient because you don't have to move your fingers as far).

KnightWRX

Which patent are you referring to ?

troop231
No price?.... wow, lame!

sconnor99
Can I get one in brown?

Genius!!

Reaktor5

Sick of these patent lawsuits. Use your resources by making a product 100x better than the competition, not trying to ban their products from entering the US. Companies borrow great ideas from each other, this is not a bad thing.

Macwick
Jun 18, 2012, 07:29 PM
Errr, anyone remember the ORIGINAL Microsoft Surface?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692162(v=Surface.10).aspx

http://unclutteredwhitespaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Microsoft-Surface-pic.jpg

slackpacker
Looks great hardware wise. Not sure why they did not publish the processor speeds possibly they are still determining what the full hardware will actually be. I guess its going to rest on the laurels of Windows 8 desktop since the Metro widgets are childish at best.

Yamcha
I'm sure as this a Mac forum many people will hate it.. But personally I think they did a great job with the ad, and with Windows 8 + Metro.. I think it'll be a compelling experience on tablets..

I'm not hating the keyboard either, you know on screen keyboards aren't bad, but with this you'll have much more screen real estate since the keyboard is on what looks to me like a cover..

Sure It probably won't be an iPad killer, but who knows, to me the second best mobile operating system is Windows Phone 7 & Windows 8 Metro..

theelysium
I watched the press conference blog feeds.

What I don't understand is why they call the device "Surface", but they showed you how to everything with the device except use it's surface. With a name like that it should have been all about the advanced touch screen and the revolutionary gestures.. oh wait.. they don't have that... ummm Why not call it, "KB COVER" the new MS Tablet.

MS didn't really do any live demos of the device kept using CGI video and touting it's cover... phhht, please. :rolleyes: How many of us use our iPads on a table with the cover... there an't no table on my couch, in my car, on the plane, etc.

This device is dead on arrival.

mr.steevo
Sweet!

Microsoft just replicated the Timex Sinclair's keyboard. (http://www.cedmagic.com/history/timex-sinclair-1000.html)

You know, if this came out before the iPad it would have done well...

hondo77
No price + No availability = Vaporware

Patriot24
As usual, they hamstring themselves out of the gate by releasing two models with different OSes and capabilities that aren't going to be clear to the average consumer. It'll probably be OK for Pros, however.

Combine that with the fact that they've left out pricing, availability, and meaningful specifications and basically they've left anyone that is interested hanging.

Don't get me wrong, I think the competition is needed. I give them kudos for getting in the game.

I think we all take for granted how awesome it is when a company gets on stage, gives you everything you need to know about the product in an hour, and releases it the next/same day (or a reasonable timeframe like "next week").

emon878
Jun 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
I like the cover/really thin keyboard.

theelysium
I'm sure as this a Mac forum many people will hate it.. But personally I think they did a great job with the ad, and with Windows 8 + Metro.. I think it'll be a compelling experience on tablets..

I'm not hating the keyboard either, you know on screen keyboards aren't bad, but with this you'll have much more screen real estate since the keyboard is on what looks to me like a cover..

Sure It probably won't be an iPad killer, but who knows, to me the second best mobile operating system is Windows Phone 7 & Windows 8 Metro..

I do like the commercial, but it's not MS doing. They just hired a good ad firm.

mcsenerd

http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/renderingassets/surfacespecsheet.pdf

Those aren't specs... Where is the RAM? CPU specs/speeds/cores? Screen resolution? (those might exist or have been announced...but they're not listed on the quoted page...)

kazmac
Like others, I would be curious about these on the Pro version:

1. Price
2. Battery life
3. Weight (did I miss that?)

I like the idea of the keyboard cover and having a Pro/Regular versions.

Well, MS you actually made me sit up and take notice rather than curse your name yet again. :p

LMAO at the kickstand comments.

Competition is very good and I'm all for it.

NIKKG
Damn Microsoft aint playing.

DiSTURBED-oNE
After being excited about this tablet by watching the ads and reading the announcements, thinking about it a little more.....Microsoft still has a long way to go.

Firstly, there are two hardware platforms to consider:

* x86
and
* ARM

This means developers would have to either choose what hardware platform to develop for, or develop for both platforms.

This might sway developers away from Windows 8.

Apps can make or break a platform and Microsoft has a long way to go to catch up to the momentum that Apple and Google have with their apps.

Its all about the apps.....

Peace

Those are specs ?

Where's the screen resolution or the graphics behind it or the Arm core it uses or the memory or the battery life ?

Etc......

theelysium
I like the cover/really thin keyboard.

REally thin keyboard.. really THICK tablet. :eek:

HurtinMinorKey
Jun 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Microsoft will have one HUGE advantage over the iPad: They don't have a laptop line to protect.

btbeme
Now all they need are DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!

Jasoco
I assume this won't even remotely be released until Windows 8 comes out. Because I can't see them making people use Windows 7 on it for a few months. So I wouldn't expect it before then.

Would be nice to see the price before then though. Else people are just going to forget about it.

DougB541
I watched the press conference blog feeds.

What I don't understand is why they call the device "Surface", but they showed you how to everything with the device except use it's surface. With a name like that it should have been all about the advanced touch screen and the revolutionary gestures.. oh wait.. they don't have that... ummm Why not call it, "KB COVER" the new MS Tablet.

MS didn't really do any live demos of the device kept using CGI video and touting it's cover... phhht, please. :rolleyes: How many of us use our iPads on a table with the cover... there an't no table on my couch, in my car, on the plane, etc.

This device is dead on arrival.

lol your tears....they are feeding the internet.

The Economist
Jun 18, 2012, 07:32 PM
Very, very well done Microsoft. It all now depends on pricing.

MacRumorUser
Jun 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Did Microsoft just take a large Cleveland steamer on the chest of any other third party manufacturer considering bringing a Windows 8 tablet to market?

mcsenerd
Some of you guys on here are pretty sad. I love apple. I use an iPhone, iPad, and have a new MacBook Pro retina. I also have several windows pcs. Some of you are dismissing this just because it is from Microsoft. First off, it is a very cool product. The windows rt version will hopefully give the iPad a run for its money. We all know the tablet space needs some competition. Right now it's just apple competing with themselves.

If apple would have came out and announced this exact tablet with iOS you would all be talking how incredible and innovative it is.

Cool? Explain what is "cool" about it? Is it a new category? No... Does it have features that other tablets don't have? No... Is it breaking MS's existing model in any way? No... Cool? No...not cool. It might be a nice tablet...but it's no cooler than when your little brother puts on your clothes and tries to recite your old pickup lines. As soon as MS does something unexpected...then I'll bite but until then...they're trying WAY too hard to be "cool"...

DougB541
Those are specs ?

Where's the screen resolution or the graphics behind it or the Arm core it uses or the memory or the battery life ?

Etc......

I said "some" specs...and if they wrote HD and FUll HD i'm assuming its 720p and 1080p.

They are allowing hands on demos so maybe we'll hear more shortly.

SeattleMoose
We the consumer NEED Apple to have competition.

Here is hoping that this offering from Softy does better than The Zune...

DougB541
Did Microsoft just take a large Cleveland steamer on the chest of any other third party manufacturer considering bringing a Windows 8 tablet to market?

In my mind, its telling them to wake the **** up and make a premium device.

hashholly
Jun 18, 2012, 07:34 PM
If that keyboard is anything like those rubber type Bluetooth ones for the iPad, then no dice. I wonder how close they will get to the $500 price point with the tablet itself.

DougB541
We the consumer NEED Apple to have competition.

Here is hoping that this offering from Softy does better than The Zune...

TO be fair, Zune 80 was a damn good piece of hardware...the iPod and iTunes was just far too entrenched to make up any reasonable ground.

wolfpackfan
I really like the looks of the Surface. If nothing else it really gives you more options to consider when purchasing a Tablet, which I think is a good thing. This plus the new Google Tablet plus the new Kindle Fire, is really going to give Apple more competition which is good IMO. I will be looking to purchase a replacement for my iPad 1 this Fall and right now the jury is still out as to what I may get.

TOYSTER17
Jun 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
REally thin keyboard.. really THICK tablet. :eek:

So 9.3 mm is a thick tablet now?

Eidorian
Exactly the reason I've waited years for a tablet. Said it before that a Windows 8 tablet would be the first tablet I buy and keep and this is definitely it. Everything about it seems amazing! :)There is also that Acer Windows 8 Tablet with a Thunderbolt port...

So many ideas with that one.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692162(v=Surface.10).aspx

Image (http://unclutteredwhitespaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Microsoft-Surface-pic.jpg)You will never play Axis & Allies on one of those ;_;

aussie_geek
how soon til Mountain Lion is running on this thing???
then setup a bootcamp partition for windows 8...
:cool:

Great idea. But does OSX run on the chipset that is in the tablet?

Also, OSX interface is not designed for touch - no onscreen keyboard etc..

Would need a keyboard and mouse / trackpad to make it work.

Reach9
Jun 18, 2012, 07:36 PM
Love the new Surface tablet. Probably the biggest competitor to the iPad, depending on the price.

This just might be a hit in college and enterprise especially. The only thing that Microsoft is lacking is good mobile ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

fertilized-egg

Not really. Knowing people here on Macrumors, they'd mostly be complaining how this is another useless smartcover that tries to copy ASUS Transformer and Apple has lost its way by including an ugly design atrocity like a kickstand.

The keyboard idea looks pretty cool. But I don't think Apple wants encourage use of keyboard. If anything they've been trying to dissuade their users from keyboards with Siri and dictation.

Two things I thought interesting since they were very telling it's a Microsoft product:

1) the presentation was really mostly about the keyboard and how the tablet has a kickstand to go with it. That's their unique selling point and Microsoft, for better or worse, is sticking to their "try to offer everything" ethos.

2) The device crashed/froze during the presentation and they had to grab another one. Some things just don't change.

One different thing though, in a way it's a big F-U to their faithful OEMs. With Android trying to carve their market on tablets, Microsoft probably felt they need to do something different to differentiate themselves. To be honest I don't know if this is really a much better solution that the Asus Transformer if you need that sort of thing but more importantly, how do OEMs feel?

JacaByte
Looks like Microsoft put an iPad and a Dell ultrabook in a cage together, forced them to breed, and this is the offspring.

I will reserve any predictions of mine until after M$ announces the price, availability and the real specs on this thing. Otherwise, it looks like it would make a good ultrabook if its battery life falls into the 8+ hours category.

organerito
I do like the commercial, but it's not MS doing. They just hired a good ad firm.

Yes, I imagine Tim Cook does all of the Apple's commercials.:rolleyes:

SeattleMoose
what fans?

You won't find many fans here.... ;)

MacRumorUser

13.5 for the pro version ;) you could see on stage it was notably thicker than the arm based RT model.

mcsenerd
Jun 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
Like others, I would be curious about these on the Pro version:

1. Price
2. Battery life
3. Weight (did I miss that?)

I like the idea of the keyboard cover and having a Pro/Regular versions.

Well, MS you actually made me sit up and take notice rather than curse your name yet again. :p

LMAO at the kickstand comments.

They did announce weight... Depending on model about 1.5 lbs or 1.9 lbs for the "Pro" version...

Unggoy Murderer

How the hell can you use a trackpad with iOS? What's the point in having a touch device if you're not planning on touching it?

gibstros
This is just more proof that Microsoft doesn't get it. They say all the right things but don't produce. Example: 4 INPUT DEVICES!!!! How is this simplicity?? 2 versions. Intel chips and ARM chips? I agree with previous comment that this isn't so much an iPad competitor as it is an ultra book competitor.

Congratulations, Microsoft hardware partners. You get to compete with Microsoft.

Until they announce pricing and a shipping date, this is just vaporware.

Peace
I said "some" specs...and if they wrote HD and FUll HD i'm assuming its 720p and 1080p.

They are allowing hands on demos so maybe we'll hear more shortly.

Thanks.

That's the difference between Microsoft and other tablet makers and Apple.

When Apple does a show off they tell you what it costs and other pertinent info not just " the price will be announced some time in the future"

btbeme
How truly awesome.

I can't wait to have to put it down and open a kickstand so I can type.

Then, I have to close the kickstand, angle the back lens by 22 degrees, and remember to remove the keyboard so it doesn't swat me in the face when I take a spontaneous photo.

And I have to remember to not block the cooling vents. Since it HAS cooling vents (thus indicating high power use), I must not forget my wall wart charger.

Les Kern
Props to Microsoft for designing something different instead of just copying, unlike other manufactures. ;)

That's what I noticed straight away.
Actually, just seeing that ad makes me consider buying one. Time will tell, but I think it looks just great.
Oh, and I %$#%-ing DESPISE Microsoft.

marioman38
Looks kinda cool! About time we get something useful from Redmond.

Carlanga
what? a trackpad on a tablet? just call it a netbook w/ removable silicone keyboard+trackpad.

AustinIllini
Jun 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
You want Apple to innovate? This tablet could be what pushes it. This tablet has "Success" written all over it

Edit: I spoke too soon. If this isn't priced competitively, I'll eat my words.

DougB541
Jun 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
Not really. Knowing people here on Macrumors, they'd mostly be complaining how this is another useless smartcover that tries to copy ASUS Transformer and Apple has lost its way by including an ugly design atrocity like a kickstand.

The keyboard idea looks pretty cool. But I don't think Apple wants encourage use of keyboard. If anything they've been trying to dissuade their users from keyboards with Siri and dictation.

Two telling things:

1) the presentation was really mostly about the keyboard and how the tablet has a kickstand to go with it. That's their unique selling point and Microsoft, for better or worse, is sticking to their "try to offer everything" ethos.

2) The device crashed/froze during the presentation and they had to grab another one. Some things just don't change.

Many Macworld demos have had crashes/bugs as well. Welcome to the tech industry.

----------

what? a trackpad on a tablet? just call it a netbook w/ removable silicone keyboard+trackpad.

No ones making you use the keyboard.

rick98761
Cool? Explain what is "cool" about it? Is it a new category? No... Does it have features that other tablets don't have? No... Is it breaking MS's existing model in any way? No... Cool? No...not cool. It might be a nice tablet...but it's no cooler than when your little brother puts on your clothes and tries to recite your old pickup lines. As soon as MS does something unexpected...then I'll bite but until then...they're trying WAY too hard to be "cool"...

It does nothing ground breaking but improves on a lot of tablets out there today. Admit it, if apple made the smart cover with the keyboard you would be singing it's praises. It looks like a very solid peice of hardware.

Windows 8 looks pretty cool for tablets also. The 80/20 feature is really pretty neat. Allows you to use the left or right 20% of the screen for another app. So you could keep a chat windows or something else up there. A great way to utilize the 16:9 AR of most non iPad tablets. And yes it is breaking microsofts models. When is the last time besides the Xbox they have fully designed the hardware and software for a product? They are going about it a very apple way and I hope it pays off for them.

Eidorian
Many Macworld demos have had crashes/bugs as well. Welcome to the tech industry.

----------

No ones making you use the keyboard.No one remembers Steve's dual Power Mac G5s or iMacs. :rolleyes:

Michael CM1
Jun 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
What kind of crap unveiling is this? It has a processor and operating system. It has an HDMI and USB port. It has some souped-up Smart Cover that changes color for no good reason. It has storage options.

What it doesn't have is price, battery life and any resemblance of app support. This was a piss-poor announcement considering not much was announced. I think the advertising department pushed this one out just to say "WE GOT A TECHNO AD WITH ROCKS AND METAL BALLS!"

I call fail on this one unless it's much cheaper than it sounds. It's trying to be half tablet, half ultrabook. This makes me think it's going to start out more expensive than the iPad (more than $499) and will get vaporized by cheaper Windows computers and iPads in the same price range.

I think the concept of the color-changing keyboard is neat, but at what price? Show us the money!

DougB541
Thanks.

That's the difference between Microsoft and other tablet makers and Apple.

When Apple does a show off they tell you what it costs and other pertinent info not just " the price will be announced some time in the future"

This is like their 4th major hardware announcement ever. Can't expect a perfect presentation haha

derbladerunner
I assume this won't even remotely be released until Windows 8 comes out.

Yes, specs say the two versions will only run WindowsRT (ARM) and Windows 8Pro.

MSFT hasn't delayed software for the first time, this might even slip into 2013 - and AAPL cashing in this holiday season once again.

According to Engadget:

WinRT version: Availability: "Around" the Windows 8 launch (fall 2012)

Win8 Pro version: Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-surface-tablets-the-differences-between-rt-and-window/

MacRumorUser

well 'compare able to an ultrabook' could mean anywhere between $900-1500

The keyboard / case we can assume will be around $100 based on similar cases/keyboard hardware such as the Logitech UltraThin

DougB541
What kind of crap unveiling is this? It has a processor and operating system. It has an HDMI and USB port. It has some souped-up Smart Cover that changes color for no good reason. It has storage options.

What it doesn't have is price, battery life and any resemblance of app support. This was a piss-poor announcement considering not much was announced. I think the advertising department pushed this one out just to say "WE GOT A TECHNO AD WITH ROCKS AND METAL BALLS!"

I call fail on this one unless it's much cheaper than it sounds. It's trying to be half tablet, half ultrabook. This makes me think it's going to start out more expensive than the iPad (more than $499) and will get vaporized by cheaper Windows computers and iPads in the same price range.

I think the concept of the color-changing keyboard is neat, but at what price? Show us the money!

You do know there are two versions coming out right? x86 and ARM.

MacKai
Jun 18, 2012, 07:41 PM
First the Zune killed the iPOd and now this will kill the iPad, I can't wait to try the kickstand

I am sorry, but when did the Zune kill the iPod?

kazmac
They did announce weight... Depending on model about 1.5 lbs or 1.9 lbs for the "Pro" version...

Thanks mcsenerd. Missed that...

fertilized-egg

When was the last time an iOS device crashed during the demo? I think it was an RT tablet that crashed, not an Intel one.

apolloa
haha, lots of haters on here as expected I guess. But I like this, be a hell of a device if the Pro version can run Diablo...

I think this is a good device from Microsoft, and it'll be priced well matching ultra books. This is more a shot at the 11" MacBook Air with an iPad twist i think.

bitsoda
Jun 18, 2012, 07:42 PM
So, to recap, no price, no demo of what it can actually do or why I would want one, two models with different processor architectures and significantly varying weights (1.5 and 2 lbs), awkward portrait 16:9 aspect ratio, no mention of battery life or availability, vents and cooling fans, two keyboards that look miserable to type on, but I'll reserve judgement until I've used one myself, and an admittedly useful kickstand.

This strikes me as a reactionary announcement from Microsoft. The surface is trying to be all things to all people. An iPad killer it is not. Still, I can't fault them for trying; their future rests on sales of Office and Windows.

Ljohnson72
I just watched that commercial like four times. Good job Microsoft. I hope these tablets are successful.

hogo
Finally, a dubstep approved tablet.

jleon213

that's true! it will be a major failure like zune or the XBOX!!!... compared to the huge success of apple with the iPod Shuffle without buttons, the round mice and the "game changing" social network Ping.

the good thing about fanboys is that they're always showing off their infinite stupidity.

I want to believe this tablet will be a true competitor to the iPad... the world full of sheep following every apple command is becoming sooo boring.

Let's bring something new for a change.

Acorn
it looks nice. i like the idea of the keyboard built into the magnetic cover however that cover design is clearly stolen from apple. does apple hold a patent on that. it seems like such a blatent rip off.

motulist
Jun 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
I hope this device sells well, because competition between companies is almost always good for the consumer. But with that said...

I don't see the point of this device. If you want a very small and light full featured computer, then you would want to get an ultrabook. If you want a device that's easily operated while you're standing and/or don't have a tabletop available to put your device on, then you want to get a tablet. So what niche / role does this new device fill? If it's intended for people who want both types of functionality (tablet and laptop), then you start to run into functionality clashes that potentially make it okay at both jobs, but not great at either.

For the sake of all us consumers, I hope this device is a hit in the market, but I'm skeptical about it until we see more details.

mzjin

Is a POS that runs Android.

The Surface running full windows can be an all-in-one iPad/Macbook Air replacement that many people are actually looking to use, with a full fledged Windows OS and application support.

starbird

He must have just finished reading the bio and figured it's been seven months, people forget.

Other than that, interested to see where this goes. Not a bad start.

nylonsteel
re original article

just 2 comments

1) the zune of tablets

2) i'm not interested as long as ballmer is the frontman

ayedgaf
lol everyone is getting ********, give them props...

pgiguere1
Microsoft's hardware partners must be really pissed right now...

But that's not unfair. This Surface tablet is now the most innovative tablet after the iPad. I'm glad to see Microsoft trying, because other manufacturers haven't brought much to the market.

They proved with the Zune line that they can make quality hardware, but what they offered was too little too late both on the hardware and software side. Now the fact that this runs Windows (including x86 Windows 8) makes it different enough from the iPad and Android tablets and makes it a pretty compelling option.

I have a feeling this is going to cost twice the price of an iPad and get half its battery life while having a much lower-res display, but considering it can be considered a laptop replacement, it's a pretty nice surprise from Microsoft.

NYR99
Competition is GREAT!

mcsenerd
Jun 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
It does nothing ground breaking but improves on a lot of tablets out there today. Admit it, if apple made the smart cover with the keyboard you would be singing it's praises. It looks like a very solid peice of hardware.

Windows 8 looks pretty cool for tablets also. The 80/20 feature is really pretty neat. Allows you to use the left or right 20% of the screen for another app. So you could keep a chat windows or something else up there. A great way to utilize the 16:9 AR of most non iPad tablets. And yes it is breaking microsofts models. When is the last time besides the Xbox they have fully designed the hardware and software for a product? They are going about it a very apple way and I hope it pays off for them.

I don't use the existing smart cover, so no...I wouldn't be "singing" its praises as I consider the tablet itself and not "accessories". There's absolutely nothing stopping any third party manufacturer from offering something similar for Android or iPads IMHO anyway...there's nothing "groundbreaking" here.

It seems like a nice Tablet PC. Perhaps like the evolution of the original Tablet PC concept...but a true iPad or even Android killer/competitor? No...more of a netbook/ultrabook market diluter...

rhinosrcool
Jun 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
This looks great! For me, the digital ink is a great feature. Of course, we have yet to see how well it performs. Even so, this has potential. In ways, this makes the iPad look like a toy. And, by the way, I love my iPad.

dmccloud
Jun 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
Other than focusing too much on the keyboards - I mean covers - I mean keyboard covers, there were a couple of things said during the presentation that indicated that even Microsoft doesn't know how to market or sell this device:

"Putting a kickstand in this product breaks seamless lines, but we needed to do it. We couldn't take chances. Take a look at these three hinges you see on the product. They are custom, and they were spec'd to feel and sound like a high end car door."

First of all, a kickstand screams "toy" to me. It's just not the type of thing I'd integrate into a tablet device. While the Smart Cover/Smart Case from Apple (and third-party covers/cases) accomplish the same function, it's optional for the end user, rather than mandatory. As for the second part of that quote, the LAST thing I want a tablet to remind me of is a car door. How is that a selling point?

Mak47
Jun 18, 2012, 07:46 PM
Congratulations to Microsoft for introducing the first tablet that even stands a chance at competing against the iPad. You have effectively killed any hope for future Android tablets. It looks nice, appears useful, and it looks like you took the design and R&D seriously. Great work. Really.

Now, let's predict the future...

The "Pro" version of this table will either never ship, or will ship and not sell. If I want Intel chips and full PC performance in a tiny package. I will buy an ultrabook--assuming I were unwilling to buy a Mac. This concept is DOA.

The ARM based version is the one that offers competition. If priced at $499 or lower it will sell. If priced at $399 or lower, it will sell more. If it's got LTE built in and is subsidized by wireless carriers, it could sell a lot.

The keyboard cover is a nice gimmick. If it comes with the tablet people will get a kick out of it. If it is sold separately--which I imagine it will be--and priced over $50, it will disappear quickly. It's not a keyboard. It's a multitouch virtual keyboard on a cloth like surface. It's totally flat and unergonomic and has no tactile feedback. People who want a real keyboard will not be satisfied.

It has to compete on the tablet only front, which means it needs to compete on price. Apple has been smart in their distribution strategy for the iPad. It's sold everywhere--just like the MS tablet will be. The iPad has a great reputation. People love it. Windows has a reputation as being the OS that runs on your computer. You don't love it, you don't hate it, you just use it.

In the end, I think this machine will be successful. It won't take a major bite out of iPad sales, but it will gobble up all the sales of Android tablets.

uknowimright
There's absolutely nothing stopping any third party manufacturer from offering something similar for Android or iPads IMHO anyway...there's nothing "groundbreaking" here.

then why haven't they?

fertilized-egg
So, to recap, no price, no demo of what it can actually do or why I would want one ... Still, I can't fault them for trying; they're future rests on sales of Office and Windows.

To me Microsoft is telling us that it's really all about the keyboard and the fact the RT version comes with Office. I think that's a pretty smart bet from an underdog (as hard to call Microsoft as an underdog) in the tablet market.

But if the price is same as iPad's, I don't know... I like the keyboard but I'd rather have a killer display over a half-hearted middle device with a funky keyboard, especially when iPad has a significant ecosystem advantage at this point.

Speaking of the keyboard, Microsoft could probably make a fortune if they make an iPad version of that keyboard! (although, the kickstand is really essential)

btbeme
Whattayawanna bet that MSFT shoots up a whole 50 cents tomorrow based on this announcement?

That will put them back at the same stock price they were at in Feb 2000. And May 2002. And nearly all of 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. And 2009, 2010, and 2011. Pretty much for over a decade, in fact.

mcsenerd
that's true! it will be a major failure like zune or the XBOX!!!... compared to the huge success of apple with the iPod Shuffle without buttons, the round mice and the "game changing" social network Ping.

the good thing about fanboys is that they're always showing off their infinite stupidity.

I want to believe this tablet will be a true competitor to the iPad... the world full of sheep following every apple command is becoming sooo boring.

How much money has the XBOX division made for MS in its lifetime (we won't even go into how much money they lost on the Zune)? Go educate yourself and then we'll see who's the real "fanboy"...

DougB541
Microsoft's hardware partners must be really pissed right now...

But that's not unfair. This Surface tablet is now the most innovative tablet after the iPad. I'm glad to see Microsoft trying, because other manufacturers haven't brought much to the market.

They proved with the Zune line that they can make quality hardware, but what they offered was too little too late both on the hardware and software side. Now the fact that this runs Windows (including x86 Windows 8) makes it different enough from the iPad and Android tablets and makes it a pretty compelling option.

I have a feeling this is going to cost twice the price of an iPad and get half its battery life while having a much lower-res display, but considering it can be considered a laptop replacement, it's a pretty nice surprise from Microsoft.

I don't use the existing smart cover, so no...I wouldn't be "singing" its praises as I consider the tablet itself and not "accessories". There's absolutely nothing stopping any third party manufacturer from offering something similar for Android or iPads IMHO anyway...there's nothing "groundbreaking" here.

It seems like a nice Tablet PC. Perhaps like the evolution of the original Tablet PC concept...but a true iPad or even Android killer/competitor? No...more of a netbook/ultrabook market diluter...

I see people are still missing the fact they have an ARM version and the x86 version which they are calling Surface Pro.

robanga
Jun 18, 2012, 07:47 PM
I really hope it does well because Android is not having much effect on the tablet market, and as many have already stated, competition is good.

The metro tiles in their UI is an interesting element. Apps are going to be fairly far and few between for a while, although presumably Windows RT will run anything from the WP7 side? ...Since they are both ARM based

chrono1081
People are getting too wound up in the "Competition is good for us!" BS.

Apple innovates regardless, its shown time and time again. What would ACTUALLY benefit the consumer is if Apples competition decided to innovate instead of constantly releasing copycat products that are 1 - 2 years behind.

sconnor99
If the Zune had a kickstand, things would have been very different

HarryPot
You want Apple to innovate? This tablet could be what pushes it. This tablet has "Success" written all over it

How does it has "Success" all over it?

I agree it looks nice, but I don't see many different things from the iPad. The only thing great about it is that Microsoft is behind it. Which, judging by their latest mobile releases, might not be that good.

Chrisg2014
Really want this thing to be a big success, it looks awesome! But I want it to be a big success because it's Microsoft it should not be to costly and make Apple feel the pressure to lower there prices and also so they will add some features that maybe the iPad or iPhone or iPod touch don't have, that Microsoft has listened to the consumers. I'm sorry Apple, stop giving us stuff that you think we want. Give us what we want! If this thing turns out great, do what you have too, to stay afloat.

uknowimright
I see people are still missing the fact they have an ARM version and the x86 version which they are calling Surface Pro.

not used to choice

MacRumorUser
Jun 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
This looks great! For me, the digital ink is a great feature. Of course, we have yet to see how well it performs. Even so, this has potential. In ways, this makes the iPad look like a toy. And, by the way, I love my iPad.

Agreed however disappointingly the specs announced on stage make this comparison a reality..

Wacom 2580ppi sensitivity, MS Surface 600ppi sensitivity.

That's an important difference for real tablet usage with painter / photoshop etc. It won't be replacing designers cintiqs anytime soon.

Shaun, UK
Judging by all the pro Microsoft comments in this Mac forum I think Redmond must have given everyone the afternoon off so they could come post on here lol. Thanks but I think I'll keep my lovely new iPad if you don't mind.

jrlcopy
1920 x 1080, I'll take it! :)

This fills my need for a device that is as portable as a tablet, but hopefully can give me my laptop applications as I need them. Since not all my app's have an ipad companion version yet.

Then I can stop taking my laptop to work everyday.

fpsBeaTt
Windows 8 actually has a nice interface for the Pad platform; it's different, clean and not a ripoff of iOS (a bad ripoff i.e. Android). I think that this'll be the first actual competitor in many respects to the iPad.

Winter Charm

I'm a little surprised in a good way. Didn't think Microsoft had this in them. They spent way too long in their presentation talking about the keyboard though. They still don't understand ecosystem, content, apps.

We'll see.

Looks like Microsoft finally figured things out!

1. Their own control on Hardware and Software
2. ORIGINAL software. Can't stress this enough!
3. Decent components, and a good Touch UI

I hope this thing crushes all the Android Tablets, and becomes healthy competition to the iPad. :)

DougB541
Jun 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
hands on:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095335/microsoft-surface-hands-on

----------

Looks like Microsoft finally figured things out!

1. Their own control on Hardware and Software
2. ORIGINAL software. Can't stress this enough!
3. Decent components, and a good Touch UI

I hope this thing crushes all the Android Tablets, and becomes healthy competition to the iPad. :)

hear hear!

----------

not used to choice

:lol:

Macclone
Jun 18, 2012, 07:50 PM

What does it cost? How long does the battery last? What apps are available? when will it ship Sounds like you don't know **** yet.

diamond3
I think it's obvious what they didn't point out...

Price
Date available
Specs (Battery life, CPU speed, memory, Screen Resolution, etc)

***EDIT****Looks like a 1366 x 768 display according to The Verge on the RT version

I didn't get to watch it live, but there are few things I found ironic...
The biggest one is the fact that their first one crashed on stage and they had to get a new one.
They spent most of their time talking about a cover. I have to admit it looks cool, but why not talk more about the lifestyle of their product and why it's so great. How it fits in to their ecosystem. This is really where Apple and their keynotes are almost perfect. They spend enough time to cover the specs, but don't dwell on them. Then they give you glimpses of what else it can do. What happens if the cover/keyboard is terrible to type on? What happens if some 3rd party developer releases a cover like it for the iPad? Then what? I also wonder how well it is to type on while sitting on your lap?

Didn't we experience something like this when they talked about the HP slate? I remember so many people were all over it talking it up. Nothing really changed in the end. So it will be really interesting to see how everything is implemented even though we know nothing about when that may occur. I hope the end result is that there is enough success to where the next direction for Apple is to turn the macbook air into touchscreen as well that runs iOS. The weight of the high end tablet is close to the weight of the 11" Macbook Air.

vrDrew
No.

Microsoft is hoping for a Grand Slam with this product. But, unless I'm much mistaken, they've managed (at best) a sacrifice fly. Its a shame, because MS has done some cool things with these products (there's one problem..more on that later) and they are to be applauded for not simply slavishly copying the iPad the way some companies (cough, cough, Samsung) have done. But there are some real problems.

1) Price. "Competitive with other tablets" means starting at $500. But the fact that Microsoft didn't come out and say exactly when the things were going on sale, and for how much, is an indication that it a) won't be soon and b) is likely to be more than the $500 of the intro iPad.

2) Retail. There is now a worldwide network of Apple stores, perfectly set up to demonstrate and sell the latest Apple products. Microsoft has, at most, a handful of retail stores. Instead, the heavy-lifting of selling the Surface is going to be left to the delights of Best Buy and PC World. Good luck with that.

3) Bifurcation. We consumers are simple folk. And too much choice confuses and scares us. And so bringing out both Intel and ARM versions of this device, at wildly different price points, and with wildly different capabilities, is going to confuse a lot of people. Do I need a $1200 Surface version of an iMac or do I need a $600 Surface version of the iPad? One name - two products. Not a good idea from a marketing standpoint.

4) Software. If MS is hoping to steal consumers away from the iPad, they left one huge topic completely off the Agenda today: Apps. There are now over 200,000 iPad-optimized Apps, with a healthy developer/consumer ecosystem growing like a weed. Unless Microsoft can make the Surface ($600 ARM version) appealing to the developer community, its going to be plagued by the same lack of software that has relegated the Mac to perpetual after-ran status in the PC market.

5) Size: Lets just say this one more time: The widescreen 10.1 inch form factor is horrible to carry. Looks goofy in portrait mode. And doesn't fit well in backpacks. Its good for ONE thing, watching movies.

On the plus side? The kickstand is a neat addition, but not a deal maker. The stylus integration is nice, but it (apparently) only works on the $1200 version.

The Surface will probably sell in the millions. But the problem (and why I described it as a sacrifice-fly) is that these sales will essentially cannibalize PC sales. People will buy a Surface instead of a new PC. Maybe not a disaster for Microsoft, but hardly a threat to Apple.

sfwalter

This fills my need for a device that is as portable as a tablet, but hopefully can give me my laptop applications as I need them. Since not all my app's have an ipad companion version yet.

According to the verge the RT versions resolution is 1366 x 768. That's barely 720P

/dev/toaster
Wow! Talk about a train wreak! Did Microsoft partner up with Fisher Price or something ? That thing looks awful.

btbeme
Jun 18, 2012, 07:51 PM

Just as long as you don't forget to bring the massive wall wart power supply with you.

Winter Charm
Jun 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Judging by all the pro Microsoft comments in this Mac forum I think Redmond must have given everyone the afternoon off so they could come post on here lol. Thanks but I think I'll keep my lovely new iPad if you don't mind.

If you really think that, you're either a troll or high.

Go look at the comment history of everyone posting here. We are all huge mac fans.

However, we are not the stereotypical fanboys. When credit is deserved, credit is what we will give, be it microsoft or someone else.

The reason there is so much hate against android is because it's a blatant ripoff.... Microsoft did something different and original with WP7 and Windows 8. While windows 8 may feel awkward with a mouse, it's most definitely great on a touch surface, and thus deserves credit.

On top of all this, microsoft actually integrated hardware and software for once! :O This is totally unexpected, and is one of the reasons I really like Apple, because integrated hardware and software work VERY well together. :D

theelysium
Jun 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
lol your tears....they are feeding the internet.

It's 17 mm thick

fertilized-egg
not used to choice

Except RT and Pro are running on two very different, incompatible CPU architectures with different ecosystems.

I can easily picture someone getting a "Windows" tablet thinking it'll run the old x86 software and shocked that it cannot run any old programs.

On top of all this, microsoft actually integrated hardware and software for once! :O This is totally unexpected, and is one of the reasons I really like Apple, because integrated hardware and software work VERY well together. :D

I agree and disagree. It is Microsoft's product but other than the kickstand, I don't see what really differentiates this product from other million Windows 8 tablets that have been announced. But I guess the kickstand and keyboard are the point of this thing ala Asus Transformer.

marzer

Uh, no. I'd be saying, "Apple, you ignorant slut. You get rid of the efficient and effective on screen keyboard for an external?" This Windows tablet MUST have a virtual keyboard. How limiting that would be for mobility sake.

"The video! It does nothing for my eyes!"

theelysium
Jun 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
Yes, I imagine Tim Cook does all of the Apple's commercials.:rolleyes:

No they don't they hire a good ad firm.. durr.

Shrink
Silly side note:

I was watching the live blog and they had pictures of the audience...presumably reporters, bloggers, etc.

And everyone was using an Apple laptop!!!:eek:

It was hysterical!:D

rpenzinger
the ad is irritating and did you notice that when the keyboard changed colours the unit moved a bit…not the greatest film production

however the cover keyboard is quite slick…but perhaps a bit impractical. You can really only type on a desk like surface and your neck will be killing you looking down like that.

MacAddict1978

We'll see.

Don't confuse this with Windows Phone and app centric echosystems like IOS or Android. There will be a lot of dual mode programs (like the new Office). The entry level more iPad like version won't run legacy Windows programs. This is also an incentive for developers to work forwards instead of staying in the comfort zone. I think you'll see a much better blend of desktop applications than you will ever see with IOS or Android. Will there be a full blown photoshop running on arm? Nah, but when someone buys a future version of Photoshop for their desktop, it is likely they'll be able to install an RT version on their tablet. Microsoft's marketshare in desktops will really give them an edge...without an echo system like the app store or Google Play.

Looks cool. However, Microsoft marketing team- that video is not the way to showcase the device. I'd watch an archaeology show if I wanted to see rocks chipped away at.

I don't know why you have negative votes. This is typical MS. It's like the Windows Phone ads all over again... it doesn't show what the product does or show the product in action.

However, the rocks were much better than two guys at a urinal looking at phones we never saw do anything.

It took more than 2 years, but the iPad actually has some decent competition finally.

I think this is really going to be good competition for the iPad, and maybe the kick in the pants Apple needs to push the iPad in it's own direction rather than it just being an oversized iPod touch. You know, little things like keyboard and mouse support (the bt keyboards work but not well), developer freedom to make more full bodies apps, etc.

Hmm. Yes. they took the lower half of a laptop, chopped off the keyboard and put the display there. Oh, with a very original black bezel. I would not be counting on design awards for this device.... thought it does look good. Original? Nah.

Scott6666
If the keypad is so effin' cool why haven't we all outfitted our ipads with these?

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/1615/keyboard-folio-cases.aspx

TOYSTER17
Jun 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
It's 17 mm thick

Surface for Windows RT tablet
Processor: NVIDIA-made ARM chip
Weight: 676 grams
Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touchpanel
Battery: 31.5Wh
I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
Availability: "Around" the Windows 8 launch (fall 2012)
Pricing: To be determined

Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablet
Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
Weight: 903 grams
Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
Battery: 42Wh
I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows 8 Pro
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall

Stop trolling

flash84x
Jun 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
That ad was awful. Neat visuals and sound effects but half a second of what it actually does? :confused:

mcsenerd
Jun 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
haha, lots of haters on here as expected I guess. But I like this, be a hell of a device if the Pro version can run Diablo...

I think this is a good device from Microsoft, and it'll be priced well matching ultra books. This is more a shot at the 11" MacBook Air with an iPad twist i think.

I'm not a hater, but I'm no MS fanboy either. I actually would love another company to "truly" innovate in this and other spaces (if it would be MS then so be it)...but even if this is a "good" device...that's not "good" enough. When a market is dominated so thoroughly...good is not enough. It has to be multiples better. BetaMax was better than VHS. OS X was better than XP. Diesels are better than gassers... you get the point. Even though we can debate which of those are "actually" better or not, the point remains that just the fact you can debate such things leads to them not having what it takes to overtake the leader.

This is not a market changer. It's not offering some radical experience changing model. It's a PC. Even ICS is more of a competition to Apple. Look...before the iPad (and even when the iPad was announced) everyone said that no one needed a tablet. Why? Because they thought of the MS-style tablets of that day and age. The iPad changed what people expected from a tablet. Does this device do that for you? I haven't fully made up my mind on that just yet...but I don't think it does so far with what I've seen and read. It might be nice...but it's no life or lifestyle changer. Time will tell...but I think this is more Zune than XBox 360...

Jasoco
This basically reminds me of Apple during the Clone days. Apple made hardware specifically designed for the OS, but also let other companies make clones. The clones could be priced much cheaper, so people would buy them instead of the actual Macintosh, which was priced a bit higher.

Now we have Microsoft, who only made the OS until today and licensed it to other manufacturers. The other manufacturers could price their machines at $50 if they wanted to. Now they release their own machine, which will most likely be built just for Windows so compatibility issues will be pretty much gone, but unless they price it competitive with the other companies making Windows 8 tablets, it's not going to fly.

I mean, yeah, it's about time MS made their own hardware to work with their OS. Less hardware variations means better compatibility. It's been Apple's stance since the beginning minus the years where Apple was sans Jobs.

I wish them the best. Only because I want to see how Apple reacts. They've always had completely different views of where we should be going.

apolloa
How much money has the XBOX division made for MS in its lifetime (we won't even go into how much money they lost on the Zune)? Go educate yourself and then we'll see who's the real "fanboy"...

So how much money has the circa 90 million Xbox consoles Microsoft has sold since the first Xbox made?? Plus the Xbox Gold subscriptions and games sales then? I guess you would say something like 3 pence.

Well at least Microsoft don't slap 30% take on it's apps, or mark up it's devices a LOT. If Apple made a device like this with an i5 in it I can bet it would cost at least double what Microsoft is going to charge for it, oh and be classed as 'revolutionary'...

derbladerunner

But digital ink only works on the more expensive version, correct?

I didn't quite understand that from the wobbly specs, but according to reports:

The unit will come in both an Intel version running Windows 8 or an ARM variant running Windows RT. The Intel version is slighly thicker and heavier at 13.5mm and 1.9lb compared with 1.5lbs and 9.3mm for the ARM version. The Intel unit will also support a dual digitiser setup that supports both touch and Digital Ink with an active pen and also USB 3.0.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-surface-the-cure-all-tablet/

theelysium
If the keypad is so effin' cool why haven't we all outfitted our ipads with these?

Keyboard are accessories to Tablets. They should not be the main attraction.

woocintosh
another copy cat...

uknowimright

because that case looks terrible

jayducharme

I do. IMO it was the most innovative concept MS ever had -- collaborative computing. Unfortunately, it seemed like MS didn't know how to market it and the idea faded away. Now the name is back, but not the collaborative concept.

robanga

For the second time at least. They "kind of " did this for Xbox and Xbox 360, which arguably have been successes. (Although their hardware bungling and frying 360s cost them all their profits for a while). If they are able to do this for the tablet market without the costly mistake, it could go very well for them.

sputnikv
Jun 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
it feels like windows 8 was designed with this device in mind. all of the criticisms i had of it having an identity crisis between desktop and tablet (which still stand in a desktop environment) are remedied by this

JayJayAbels
Jun 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
Looks really cool - no doubt about that. Obviously it takes its inspiration from the iPad but goes further with its design. The keyboard is a great "touch" as is the built in stand.

But those 2 things alone won't "future proof" this new product line.

It comes down to 2 main things...

1. Pricing. They'll have to match the new iPads pricing scheme to make this competitive. Anything $800 or beyond is entering ultrabook/notebook territory and it's crowded there already.

2. I can see many people buying this for school etc (so long as the price is competitive) but what REALLY counts is the "ecosystem" - for the long run. With an established marketplace Apple has a ridiculous advantage in that department. If Microsoft can't match that type of environment for the end user... people will flock to a product that does. Apps are the "legs" of products like these. With little choice... customers will eventually abandon this product for one that gives them more.

I think, initially, this will do well but wouldn't be surprised to see it die out if Microsoft doesn't supply the proper "playground" to keep the end user engaged and invested.

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
those of you praising this ad and the new windows fail RT is just full of bologna.

There is exactly ZERO indication of how it runs, how well it performs, the screen quality, the apps, the battery life, the materials used, NOTHING in regards to what the hell the ad is showcasing; except that it's a thick piece of screen that's seems so heavy, it needs a kickstand.

This ad showcases nothing but a piece of boxy metal with a lid, kickstand, simulated screen, and a keyboard built into the cover.

How do you claim this is competition to an iPad?

DougB541
What does it cost? How long does the battery last? What apps are available? when will it ship Sounds like you don't know **** yet.

IF you are using Windows 8 consumer preview you have a good idea what apps are out there already.

Medic311
honestly these tablets look sick (and that's coming from an iPad owner).
i'm looking forward to trying one out, especially that detachable keyboard with the trackpad

nfl46
Nice!

1366x768 screen resolution.

theelysium
Surface for Windows RT tablet
Processor: NVIDIA-made ARM chip
Weight: 676 grams
Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touchpanel
Battery: 31.5Wh
I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
Availability: "Around" the Windows 8 launch (fall 2012)

Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablet
Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
Weight: 903 grams
Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
Battery: 42Wh
I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows 8 Pro
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall

Stop trolling

Suck it. In the live feed they were quoted saying total thickness 17 mm.

Get off my bridge!

KnightWRX

Apple innovates regardless, its shown time and time again. What would ACTUALLY benefit the consumer is if Apples competition decided to innovate instead of constantly releasing copycat products that are 1 - 2 years behind.

Yeah, if only Apple's competition didn't just play catch up with versions 4, 5 and 6 of their iOS... err... oh wait. :rolleyes:

ppnkg
this is impressive. Not sure about the form factor and of course the ipad still has the edge because of IOs apps. I wonder if apple could follow microsoft re keyboard on smart cover, it makes a great difference in situations where you need to use a keyboard.

DougB541
Jun 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
those of you praising this ad and the new windows fail RT is just full of bologna.

There is exactly ZERO indication of how it runs, how well it performs, the screen quality, the apps, the battery life, the materials used, NOTHING in regards to what the hell the ad is showcasing; except that it's a thick piece of screen that's seems so heavy, it needs a kickstand.

This ad showcases nothing but a piece of boxy metal with a lid, kickstand, simulated screen, and a keyboard built into the cover.

Cause we read the event and know

1. Its not heavy, they gave the weight.
2. They are doing hands on RIGHT NOW.
3. Simulated Screen? You know you can play with windows 8 right now right? RIght?

Man...

Chrisg2014

The Xbox is a fail? The Xbox is one of the most purchased gaming systems out there. Plus they have exclusive games and DLC that people ACTUALLY WANT before other gaming systems. Do you research next time before you post... You must be an AppleFan boy, like you stated above how fanboys are. Oh irony

Rot'nApple

I think so many here "mock" MS precisely because of your last statement... "It doesn't hurt to look at the competition sometimes."

MS looked at Apple for their store design, employee uniforms, and even store location. They looked at the iPod and iTunes Music Store and said 'meh' and came out with the Zune and the Marketplace. They laughed at, then looked at the iPhone and when the Kin flopped, partnered with Nokia and a new mobile OS and came out with Lumina. Then the iPad came out, MS killed off "Courier" went back to drawing board and came out with this new tablet defying all the previous 'tablets' they made prior and gave it a keyboard smart cover with magnets. Heck even Ballmers quote seems mighty familiar with 'the intersection of humanities and technology' thing Steve Jobs used to say.

It would be helpful in quelling the commenters, whom you call sad, if just every now and then, MS showed the way versus being shown the way. .02˘ worth ;)
/
/
/

jbtphotos
Seriously....who cares about this? Day late - 300 billion dollars short. (as of today's close)

Krazy Bill
I don't understand all the kickstand bashing. All tablets should have this.

It would be helpful in quelling the commenters, whom you call sad, if just every now and then, MS showed the way versus being shown the way.

But who really gives a rat's arse? 10 years from now nobody will care who was "first".

theelysium
Seriously....who cares about this? Day late - 300 billion dollars short. (as of today's close)

Zune part 2

bbeagle
Jun 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
I'm amazed at all the windows fanboys on here.

This machine is nothing what I desire a tablet for. I need something to sit back on the couch with and read a book or surf the internet. I don't need or want a seperate keyboard.

I use a tablet to RELAX - not do any intensive work. I don't get this product at all.

slimbek
Microsoft have made a fantastic effort on this... it looks shiny and nice - and I can't wait for the competition to heat up!!
There is plenty of innovation here that should challenge Apple to move further... I reckon Apple have sat on their behinds a little and been riding the iPad wave.

Hopefully this kicks iPad 4 into high gear for next March!

But it's still not a competition until it's truly sitting on the shelf next to the iPad.

mcsenerd
No.

Microsoft is hoping for a Grand Slam with this product. But, unless I'm much mistaken, they've managed (at best) a sacrifice fly. Its a shame, because MS has done some cool things with these products (there's one problem..more on that later) and they are to be applauded for not simply slavishly copying the iPad the way some companies (cough, cough, Samsung) have done. But there are some real problems.

1) Price. "Competitive with other tablets" means starting at $500. But the fact that Microsoft didn't come out and say exactly when the things were going on sale, and for how much, is an indication that it a) won't be soon and b) is likely to be more than the $500 of the intro iPad.

2) Retail. There is now a worldwide network of Apple stores, perfectly set up to demonstrate and sell the latest Apple products. Microsoft has, at most, a handful of retail stores. Instead, the heavy-lifting of selling the Surface is going to be left to the delights of Best Buy and PC World. Good luck with that.

3) Bifurcation. We consumers are simple folk. And too much choice confuses and scares us. And so bringing out both Intel and ARM versions of this device, at wildly different price points, and with wildly different capabilities, is going to confuse a lot of people. Do I need a $1200 Surface version of an iMac or do I need a $600 Surface version of the iPad? One name - two products. Not a good idea from a marketing standpoint.

4) Software. If MS is hoping to steal consumers away from the iPad, they left one huge topic completely off the Agenda today: Apps. There are now over 200,000 iPad-optimized Apps, with a healthy developer/consumer ecosystem growing like a weed. Unless Microsoft can make the Surface ($600 ARM version) appealing to the developer community, its going to be plagued by the same lack of software that has relegated the Mac to perpetual after-ran status in the PC market.

5) Size: Lets just say this one more time: The widescreen 10.1 inch form factor is horrible to carry. Looks goofy in portrait mode. And doesn't fit well in backpacks. Its good for ONE thing, watching movies.

On the plus side? The kickstand is a neat addition, but not a deal maker. The stylus integration is nice, but it (apparently) only works on the $1200 version.

The Surface will probably sell in the millions. But the problem (and why I described it as a sacrifice-fly) is that these sales will essentially cannibalize PC sales. People will buy a Surface instead of a new PC. Maybe not a disaster for Microsoft, but hardly a threat to Apple.

Excellent post and I'm of almost identical mind... I don't really know if MS can get out of its own way though. They're so big and they've got so many different masters to please...and they always try to please them all (or piss them all off equally). Even if there are contingents of intelligent, gifted, visionary people in the company there are as many that are on the opposite end fighting them every step of the way. This feels like the HP TC/Convertible series reborn and made better to me...

uknowimright
Jun 18, 2012, 08:00 PM

Sony probably had similar words

Jasoco
Nice!

1366x768 screen resolution.
No where near 2048x1536. By which I just refer to sheer PPI and resolution. Why not at least 1080p?

robanga
it feels like windows 8 was designed with this device in mind. all of the criticisms i had of it having an identity crisis between desktop and tablet (which still stand in a desktop environment) are remedied by this

Having not played with Windows 8 much, i was thinking the same thing. It seems like MS went for broke because of the "post PC area" and is expecting the rest of the Windows user base to come along for the ride eventually.

Windows 7 could be the longest lived corporate version of Windows since XP and it might even surpass it.

uknowimright
I need something to sit back on the couch with and read a book or surf the internet. I don't need or want a seperate keyboard.

you don't NEED it for this device either

KnightWRX

Uh ? So Apple saying this looks good as announced are Windows fanboys ? I like the concept, I'm far from a Windows/Microsoft fanboy. :rolleyes:

So I get it that in your polarised world, anyone dissing this is an Apple fanboy ?

Geez, whatever happened to just appraise a product based on its own merit, not on some biased pro-corporation agenda ?

DougB541
Jun 18, 2012, 08:01 PM
According to the verge the RT versions resolution is 1366 x 768. That's barely 720P

actually its past 720p..

Medic311

instead of bashing competition, you should welcome it. if it turns out to be a bad device, expect Apple to be slower to roll out features. if it turns out to be a great device, expect that iOS and OSX upgrades to be more feature rich.

FYI:

hands on from engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/hands-on-with-microsoft-surface-for-windows-rt/

nfl46

This machine is nothing what I desire a tablet for. I need something to sit back on the couch with and read a book or surf the internet. I don't need or want a seperate keyboard.

I use a tablet to RELAX - not do any intensive work. I don't get this product at all.

Think about the future. Heck, I wish our iPads had Mac OS X on them and we could run them like desktops or laptops. This tablet can for Windows. Full blown Win apps on a tablet. That's pretty impressive.

mcsenerd
then why haven't they?

Maybe because they are not big profit drivers and they...I dunno...suck to type on?

LagunaSol
Jun 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
competition is always a good thing.

competition is good

competition between companies is almost always good for the consumer.

competition is good.

DougB541
No where near 2048x1536. By which I just refer to sheer PPI and resolution. Why not at least 1080p?

The Surface Pro is 1080p.

I have a feeling they are trying to undercut the iPad pricing with the RT version.

JayJayAbels

^ If you think that this isn't competition to the iPad then you should never, ever go into business.

With all due respect - specs don't really matter to the mainstream consumer for whom this is targeted for. The want something "like" the iPad... but with a keyboard. And it has to look nice. IMO Microsoft has accomplished that part. But like I've mentioned before... it comes down to the price and the breadth of the marketplace.

mcsenerd

Amen brotha... And all these MS planted fanboys are kidding themselves if they think otherwise...

jayducharme
Priceless! I just clicked on the "major tablet initiative" link, which took me to the MS Surface page. All it said was, "An unexpected error has occurred."

gibstros
Jun 18, 2012, 08:03 PM
Most of the kids on here weren't even born when Radio Shack had a portable computer that was like a laptop but not a laptop. That's what I kept thinking of with that tiny display. It screams toy and not business product.

Also, folks keep talking about how competition is good, but is it? Apple has never innovated based upon competition. In fact, Apple's ethos is built on the idea that they can make the best products in the world, period. They don't need competition to spur them on. While that idea may be debatable, I doubt the folks in Cupertino are losing sleep over this.

Where this product will create a stir is in Mountain View. MS has no real app store. They have no real music or video service. Rather than try to compete with Apple, they are leveraging their strengths in Office and business to go after Android. Have fun with that!

I'm just soooo glad they didn't do a funeral procession this time.

And is it just me, or did anyone else spew their beverage when the slide went up showing off their hardware innovations of the two button mouse and an ergonomic keyboard? John Gruber is going to have a field day.

tigajr
Finally I can have a full blown os on a tablet! Great news Microsoft. Hope you are back!

coolant113
Ok, so lets get this straight.. they spent way to much time on talking about the cover and the keyboard, which most people probably dont even care about. Yet they couldnt even provide a pricing structure or a a timeframe for realease. Yea lets schedule a "MAJOR" event and then at the end say ****** you, youll have to wait even longer to find out more details. If there trying to come anywhere close to being like apple they are failing misserably. If Apple ever held an event like this, it would be headlines that it was the most dissapointing event. If you are going to scheduale a event in one of the biggest media markets in America you are obviously going for exposure. It was not scheduled like that on accident, release all the major details so you can create a 'buzz' and 'hype' for it. Dont beat around the bush and release partial details. People want to know everything about it.

On another note

What doesnt microsoft get about fragmentation. Why would you release a standard version and a pro version? Why not cut costs on R&D, Manufacturing, Advertising, like apple does and create a product that uses the best of the best with one product name that serves the purpose of both a consumer and a professional. You will get much better Brand Recognition from your customers if they can refer to the device with one name and relate to it using one name, and not no standard and pro ******. That just confuses your customers. And leads to confusion that will ultimately lead the customer to a competitor.

Another thing is, if Microsoft is releasing Windows RT to other manufactures, why would you make a product with your own branding just to compete with other devices that you endorsed running the same software that your 'amazing' device runs. Its just another piece thats going to add to the fragmentation of Windows tablets in the near future (like google and andorid) and to the eventual slow death of microsoft.

Bottom Line Is, Apple is lightyears ahead of the so called 'competitors' on all aspects.

Microsoft you have a long tough and expensive road ahead of you, Apple is far more supperior and much more respected company nowadays then Microsoft ever will be. The only thing you have on Apple is the Xbox 360.... for now

Thats My Take..:apple::apple:

MacRumorUser
Suck it. I the live feed they were quoted saying total thickness 17 mm.

Get off my bridge!

13.5 + smart case at 3.5 = 17mm

--------------------

I don't think people realise that Windows RT does NOT have a desktop environment. Will not run your existing windows software, and will remain in Metro environment.

A lot of people could get very confused purchasing this tablet if they just assume it has Windows on it.

Macclone
Cause we read the event and know

1. Its not heavy, they gave the weight.
2. They are doing hands on RIGHT NOW.
3. Simulated Screen? You know you can play with windows 8 right now right? RIght?

Man...

Yeah, Windows 8 is crap. It is the next Vista and businesses will stay on Windows 7 for a very long time now.

Medic311
Jun 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
Think about the future. Heck, I wish our iPads had Mac OS X on them and we could run them like desktops or laptops. This tablet can for Windows. Full blown Win apps on a tablet. That's pretty impressive.

i agree. everyone here seems to be frantically hysterical with negative things to say about these tablets.

i think these tablets are sick, and i'm an iPad 2 owner.

something tells me that people already had their opinion decided before the product was even announced

DougB541
Most of the kids on here weren't even born when Radio Shack had a portable computer that was like a laptop but not a laptop. That's what I kept thinking of with that tiny display. It screams toy and not business product.

Also, folks keep talking about how competition is good, but is it? Apple has never innovated based upon competition. In fact, Apple's ethos is built on the idea that they can make the best products in the world, period. They don't need competition to spur them on. While that idea may be debatable, I doubt the folks in Cupertino are losing sleep over this.

Where this product will create a stir is in Mountain View. MS has no real app store. They have no real music or video service. Rather than try to compete with Apple, they are leveraging their strengths in Office and business to go after Android. Have fun with that!

I'm just soooo glad they didn't do a funeral procession this time.

And is it just me, or did anyone else spew their beverage when the slide went up showing off their hardware innovations of the two button mouse and an ergonomic keyboard? John Gruber is going to have a field day.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

mcsenerd
^ If you think that this isn't competition to the iPad then you should never, ever go into business.

With all due respect - specs don't really matter to the mainstream consumer for whom this is targeted for. The want something "like" the iPad... but with a keyboard. And it has to look nice. IMO Microsoft has accomplished that part. But like I've mentioned before... it comes down to the price and the breadth of the marketplace.

If you think it is competition to the iPad then you likely think that the Coby tablets you can pick up at CVS are too... We don't have enough information right now to know if it's going to be "competition" or not...

DougB541
Jun 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
man this forum get so defensive.

uknowimright
Jun 18, 2012, 08:06 PM
man this forum get so defensive.

at some point someone is gonna sue someone for petty stuff

Jasoco
Jun 18, 2012, 08:06 PM
Yes, specs say the two versions will only run WindowsRT (ARM) and Windows 8Pro.

MSFT hasn't delayed software for the first time, this might even slip into 2013 - and AAPL cashing in this holiday season once again.

According to Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-surface-tablets-the-differences-between-rt-and-window/
Then why even announce it this early? I mean, sure, Apple's announced things ahead of time too but still... When the iPad was announced, there wasn't another company making an iOS tablet. This would just make people ignore other companies tablets while waiting for the Microsoft one. Basically hurting the other tablet makers. Especially the ones who have already shown off their machines.

FloatingBones
Jun 18, 2012, 08:07 PM

It's both!

Actually, it's even better than that: on the ARM platform, only MS applications can be run in desktop mode: the MS Office Suite. I keep wondering what sort of backlash this MS-preferential "feature" will have on the platform.

The whole Win 8 offering is massively confusing.

Then why even announce it this early? I mean, sure, Apple's announced things ahead of time too but still... When the iPad was announced, there wasn't another company making an iOS tablet. This would just make people ignore other companies tablets while waiting for the Microsoft one. Basically hurting the other tablet makers. Especially the ones who have already shown off their machines.

Just imagine how pleased manufacturers shipping Win 8 systems are with MS's announcement. :rolleyes:

Xtremehkr
I wonder how well the keyboard will function, I've seen plenty of people carry a bluetooth apple keyboard with them that they've paired to their iPads. Placing the keyboard in the cover is an interesting idea, as long as it functions well.

Microsoft copying Apple is interesting, Microsoft has been paying close attention to Apple but are mimicking Apple more than understanding them. The lack of people using the Surface in a functional manner was disappointing, why not demonstrate what it can do and why I should buy it.

The slow rollout of information is pretty lame though, Microsoft clearly isn't as adept at creating excitement. The tablet is no longer a brand new product and the capabilities are relatively well known. The announcement would have been much more interesting if they'd just announced all of the information today, I'm not going to work to find out what the battery life is, the screen resolution, the availability of apps, accessories and other details. Not when the new iPad is clearly so far ahead of anything else that is out there.

Microsoft has plenty of legacy users who are just dying for them to do something good again. All Microsoft really has to do is create a really good product to release, the clever advertising and re-imaging isn't as important. But it's been a really long time since Microsoft has put out a really great product. The Kinect may be the only caveat but it's a toy.

Macclone
I got the iGrill for father's day. A meat temp probe that is paired with an iPad app that lets me monitor from inside, set timers for different levels, just really cool. It is all about the apps.

Shaun, UK
Jun 18, 2012, 08:08 PM
If you really think that, you're either a troll or high.

Go look at the comment history of everyone posting here. We are all huge mac fans.

However, we are not the stereotypical fanboys. When credit is deserved, credit is what we will give, be it microsoft or someone else.

The reason there is so much hate against android is because it's a blatant ripoff.... Microsoft did something different and original with WP7 and Windows 8. While windows 8 may feel awkward with a mouse, it's most definitely great on a touch surface, and thus deserves credit.

I stand by my comment. This thread does not represent the usual array of comments I read every day on this forum. Unlike many people here I will reserve my judgement as to whether this device is any good or not until I can see it for myself. I notice there was no price or release date.

Just because you marry hardware and software together doesn't necessarily mean it will be any good. Remember their last attempt - the Zune. What a pile of ***** that was.

I'm by no means an Apple cheerleader, I make my own mind up. However in my experience of Microsoft products over many years I fully anticipate this to be another pile of *****.

As for the Metro UI. It may work well on a tablet but the reviews of the desktop version have been scathing. Thank god I won't have to endure it as I shall be ditching the last of my Windows computers once I can get my hands on the new MBP Retina.

I have no animosity towards Android. I think the Galaxy S series are cracking smartphones.

Brisby
Jun 18, 2012, 08:08 PM
I really think Microsoft kinda missed the point of the tablet. It's trying too much to be a desktop while looking like a tablet computer. If you really need a mouse/keyboard to work get a netbook or regular laptop that has a full fledged OS and can support your needs.

A tablet is for quick consumption and light work - a computer that you can have fun with.

Steve was right... Microsoft really doesn't have any taste.

apolloa
Jun 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'll tell you what is fecking irony on this forum. The sheer fact that MANY on here have stated this is what APPLE is going to turn into!! One OS across ALL devices weather they are PC's or tablets etc all with touch screens haha.

If Apple did do that, well Microsoft would have done it first!!

Not trolling, but seriously, just HOW many threads or posts have we seen state this very fact about Apple based on the patents it's posted in the past...

hitekalex
Wonder if the Intel version will have sufficiently standard PC hardware so that it can run Linux or if Microsoft plans to lock it down using UEFI secure boot. :(

This thing + Linux/FreeBSD would be a nice portable laptop like device.

Free BSD on a touch tablet? Yeah, have fun with that.

Mr. Gates
USB 2.0 ? Fail