PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases New iPad Television Ad: "Do It All"

MacRumors
Jun 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/apple-releases-new-ipad-television-ad-do-it-all/)

RksyMaJiD8Y
Apple today posted a new television ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RksyMaJiD8Y) for the new iPad called "Do It All". The Retina Display is the focus, with a number of different apps sharing the spotlight.
Send a note. Stay informed.

Catch a show. Make your point.

Make a memory. Make a masterpiece.

Read something. Watch something. And learn something.

Do it all more beautifully, with the Retina display, on iPad.This is the second television spot that Apple has released for the new iPad. The first, released in March after the introduction of the product, was titled "This Good (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/apple-releases-television-commercial-for-the-new-ipad/)". It also focused on the new Retina display. Last week, Apple released an ad (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-releases-every-dimension-tv-commercial-for-retina-macbook-pro/) for the new Retina MacBook Pro that also focused on the screen.

Article Link: Apple Releases New iPad Television Ad: "Do It All" (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/apple-releases-new-ipad-television-ad-do-it-all/)

RMC Tech
Jun 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/apple-releases-new-ipad-television-ad-do-it-all/)

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=RksyMaJiD8Y)
Apple today posted a new television ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RksyMaJiD8Y) for the new iPad called "Do It All". The Retina Display is the focus, with a number of different apps sharing the spotlight.
Apple's other ad for the new iPad, entitled "This Good (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/apple-releases-television-commercial-for-the-new-ipad/)", also focused on the new Retina display. Last week, Apple released an ad (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-releases-every-dimension-tv-commercial-for-retina-macbook-pro/) for the new Retina MacBook Pro that also focused on the screen.

Article Link: Apple Releases New iPad Television Ad: "Do It All" (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/18/apple-releases-new-ipad-television-ad-do-it-all/)

Ha! iPad on TV. Love it. The iPad is taking over. And I love that too. :apple:

tacomahunter
Jun 18, 2012, 09:07 PM
News Flash the new IPAD rocks!!:)

LeGacY X
Jun 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
Passive aggressive response to the Surface????

applefanDrew
Jun 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
Passive aggressive response to the Surface????

Are you kidding? It took them longer than a few hours to make the commercial. It's just coincidence.

newyorksole
Jun 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
THIS is what Microsoft needed to show. It's amazing how these companies pay so much attention to Apple, but still severely under deliver.

Hawkeye411
Jun 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
The screen definitely is a thing of beauty! :D

AustinIllini
Jun 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
THIS is what Microsoft needed to show. It's amazing how these companies pay so much attention to Apple, but still severely under deliver.

You mean you can't just sell a tablet with a gimmick cover?;)

palebluesatire
Jun 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
I kind of chuckled at this ad, seeing it right next to the more "intense and serious" Surface ad lol.

So Random
Jun 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
You mean you can't just sell a tablet with a gimmick cover?;)

Kickstand!

Rot'nApple
Jun 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
What happened to the other iPad voice over guy. He had a more mature, smoothing sounding voice? Me like better.
/
/
/

Xtremehkr
Jun 18, 2012, 09:16 PM
That's what a new product advertisement should look like, the iPad is portable, capable, and allows you the freedom to take light weight work or your hobbies with you anywhere.

You don't need 6 USB 3.0 ports, 2 HDMI ports, an SD reader, FW 800, and an onboard optical drive for any of that. I hope Microsoft has gotten beyond 'it's got more ports!'

WestonHarvey1
Jun 18, 2012, 09:20 PM
*Screen images simulated.

alehen
Jun 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
I wonder how many new iPads Apple needs to unbox before getting a really good screen to shoot a commercial like that, with what seems to be a "white" page. Mine was yellow. My sisterīs yellow, my friendīs yellow.. God =P

sazivad
Jun 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
Apple Releases New iTelevision
:eek: :D :)

*Looks more closely*
Apple Releases New iPad Television Ad
[/excitement]

Seriously, though, nice ad. Clean and simple, keeping with the :apple: tradition.

TelegraphRoad
Jun 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
Nice plug for Brave. But, they should have spent more time on the cover and the two or three different models. And, maybe talk about the processor. And also the thinness. Plus, the low weight. Maybe show some rocks bouncing 'round. Of course, not mentioning the price or when it will be available was cool. Wait, it's been available since 2010 and it costs as little as $400? Oh.

LeGacY X
Jun 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
Are you kidding? It took them longer than a few hours to make the commercial. It's just coincidence.

I know that it took them longer than a few hours to make the commercial, but is it not possible that they had the commercial made and released it today, on purpose... It was just a joke:p

eRondeau
Jun 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
Watching Apple's iPad ad immediately after Microsoft's Surface ad illustrates the vast differences between the philosophies of both companies. The Apple ad shows people in every scene; people using the technology, people creating, people communicating. The Microsoft ad shows no people at all; Microsoft is essentially expecting the device will sell itself. Apple is always thinking about people, while Microsoft is only thinking about technology. To me this illustrates a profound dichotomy.

Sylon
Jun 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
I love the ridiculously simple ads Apple puts out, yet they are all you need to know, and they get the point across.

Its the best concept for ads, keep it simple. You don't need to be flashy or have stupid bits (ie: the "4Genie" from Boost Mobile). I view Apple's advertisements like these much like their product packaging. Brilliant.

bitsoda
Jun 18, 2012, 09:38 PM
This commercial showcases one of the fundamental differences between Apple and Microsoft. Microsoft shows a dub step video featuring a tablet device, Apple shows you an iPad and explicitly lets you know what you can DO with it.

Burnsey
Jun 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Riveting commercial.

TelegraphRoad
Jun 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
I wonder how many new iPads Apple needs to unbox before getting a really good screen to shoot a commercial like that, with what seems to be a "white" page. Mine was yellow. My sisterīs yellow, my friendīs yellow.. God =P

"Sepia" setting?

finder39
Jun 18, 2012, 09:54 PM
Honestly I did not enjoy the ad. The new retina mac ad was beautiful, simple, and elegant. This one seemed...forced. Not my style.

12dylan34
Jun 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
I don't care for Apple's new type of advertising. I think their best days thus far were with the narration-less iPod dancing silhouette and MacBook Air in an envelope with only music. These commericals stood out and always made me want to stop and watch them when they came on. The new narrated ones, albeit well written, don't stand out enough through the rest of the ads. Still great products though.

charlituna
Jun 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
The Apple ad shows people in every scene; people using the technology, people creating, people communicating. The Microsoft ad shows no people at all; Microsoft is essentially expecting the device will sell itself.

There's a phrase I remember from working retail in college: Features and Benefits. basically you say what something is or has and then why someone would give a flip about it. Microsoft focuses on the features and forgets the benefits. Apple is so busy with the benefits that the feature actually being mentioned is almost a toss away comment. And as the benefit (up to 10 hours of battery life on a single charge) is what the common buyer understands rather than the feature (95 Watt battery), it makes sense that the Apple ads are more 'impressive'

faroZ06
Jun 18, 2012, 10:10 PM
What about setting alarms? That was pathetic, and I'm glad they finally added the Clock app to the iPad.

xfusejc
Jun 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
What are the apps for Memory and Masterpiece?

Anti-Lucifer
Jun 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
the ad is too long!

Just put up an image of the iPad. Then cut to a black apple logo. End of commercial.

that's enough to sell millions.

jca666us
Jun 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
the ad is too long!

Just put up an image of the iPad. Then cut to a black apple logo. End of commercial.

that's enough to sell millions.

Doubtful they'd ever sell millions - come on, there's no integrated kickstand! :D

monkor
Jun 18, 2012, 10:28 PM
At least there's no Zooey...

----------

Watching Apple's iPad ad immediately after Microsoft's Surface ad illustrates the vast differences between the philosophies of both companies. The Apple ad shows people in every scene; people using the technology, people creating, people communicating. The Microsoft ad shows no people at all; Microsoft is essentially expecting the device will sell itself. Apple is always thinking about people, while Microsoft is only thinking about technology. To me this illustrates a profound dichotomy.

They don't show too many of the brothas, though. We use an iPad, too.

Daws001
Jun 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
I kind of chuckled at this ad, seeing it right next to the more "intense and serious" Surface ad lol.

I hated the Surface add. It's too harsh, I had to mute it. Apple's ads are more light and pleasant and draw you in.

coolguy$$$
Jun 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
Simple and Clear...

ErikGrim
Jun 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
Who's the band playing live? I swear I saw Flaming Lips' space vagina, but on a second look I'm not so sure.

kjs862
Jun 18, 2012, 10:39 PM
I wonder how these tablets would sell if they weren't so heavily emphasized.

lighthouse_man
Jun 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
What's the app featured on the "learn something" line?

Ryth
Jun 18, 2012, 10:51 PM

It's not COINCIDENCE.

Apple timed the release of this new commercial for exactly tonight after the Surface tablet news was out.

Companies do this all the time to take attention off something else. Apple knew Microsoft was announcing their tablet sometime in the coming months up to now.

They basically made the ad and had it ready probably a few days ago, if not months ago and bought the ad buy when Microsoft announced their event a few days back.

Ad buys are made not the same day. Apple knew this was coming and had their ad ready to go.

faroZ06
Jun 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
I wonder how these tablets would sell if they weren't so heavily emphasized.

People at my school thought the iPad would fail and told people to dump AAPL if they had real or fake stock in it. Of course, I ignored them, but the iPad does seem to be getting a lot of users just because it has become a trend. It is still a good device that would be actually useful for a lot more people if it had a flexing keyboard on the cover.

Buckeyestar
Jun 18, 2012, 10:58 PM

I think it's a textbook in iBooks.

marioguarneros
Jun 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
Other than mail and news stand, can anyone point to/name all the other apps used in the ad?

Thanks.

----------

"News Stand" and a subscription to "The NewYorker" I believe.

Ivan Malagurski
Jun 18, 2012, 11:19 PM
Nice add...the iPad rules :)

Mike973
Jun 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
Who's the band playing live? I swear I saw Flaming Lips' space vagina, but on a second look I'm not so sure.

It's this unknown band called Stolen Jars. You can listen to the album in it's entirety on their bandcamp. It's actually pretty good. I believe the song is a condensed version of Driving. (the last track on the album)

http://stolenjars.bandcamp.com/album/stolen-jars

Dionte
Jun 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
Apple is the best in the game at advertising.

faroZ06
Jun 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
The iPad is great and all, but where's the UNIX terminal??? An 80s computer can do that! :D

Seriously though, I use Terminal on my iPhone 4 more frequently than Angry Birds and Facetime combined.

----------

Except that they don't do it enough. I've never seen a Mac ad on TV and only a couple of iPad ads. I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone ad on TV besides the stupid Siri ads.

Navdakilla
Jun 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
:eek: :D :)

*Looks more closely*

[/excitement]

Seriously, though, nice ad. Clean and simple, keeping with the :apple: tradition.

I thought the same thing at first as well :)

swingerofbirch
Jun 19, 2012, 12:43 AM
I like this guy's voice better than the guy with the Smucker's voice, but the ad still has a smarmy sound to it. I can't believe I prefer the narration of Jeff Goldblum. He didn't take himself seriously and being over the top was part of his shtick, so there was no saccharin sentimentality at the least.

ryanmcv
Jun 19, 2012, 12:48 AM
Looks like Apple is beginning to shift away from "the new iPad" branding. But I could be wrong.

Supa_Fly
Jun 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
BAM! In your face Microsoft (ahem Surface)!
How does it taste?!?!!

:apple::cool:

PS: The above was the fanboy in me ;)

Yield85
Jun 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
I love my Ipad but I despise these ads. I think its the voice that gets to me. The accent is like nails on chalkboard.

FrogsterDude
Jun 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
Quite literally a minute after I skimmed past this article this comercial played on TV...

Technarchy
Jun 19, 2012, 02:10 AM
And to think there were lots of people that said the iPad was just a glorified big phone and was sure to be a flop.

AppleMark
Jun 19, 2012, 02:28 AM

Coincidence? No.

Apple have been very aware of Surface's arrival. You think only Mac Rumors has access to insider industry info...?

Likewise, it took MS more than a few hours to make Surface, so Apple have had plenty of time to prepare an advert, to remind us that the iPad exist's also...:)

alexgowers
Jun 19, 2012, 02:55 AM
eww!!! voice over is so horrid, apple please this is the kind of mistake steve jobs would have vetoed that still needs to be caught by someone, please!

Andrew K.
Jun 19, 2012, 03:13 AM
Nice plug for Brave. But, they should have spent more time on the cover and the two or three different models. And, maybe talk about the processor. And also the thinness. Plus, the low weight. Maybe show some rocks bouncing 'round. Of course, not mentioning the price or when it will be available was cool. Wait, it's been available since 2010 and it costs as little as $400? Oh.

Good advertising focuses on benefits, not features. Apple has always gotten this right. What am I, as a consumer, going to get out of this product. It has a fast processor. And what does it do for me? It makes it easier to share things with my loved ones. See, right to the point for the consumer. Not what the product is built with.

olowott
Jun 19, 2012, 03:30 AM
After Watching both adverts from the two major OS competitors

this what i learned:

1. Microsoft still dont know how to make adverts to focus on the simplicity of things
2. simplicity is what Apple does.
3. Microsoft and hardware - finally they made an hardware n they go Gaga.
4. One Advert - One focus - One Target - One Apple
5. Microsoft - i Got 6 usb ports, a keyboard, hdmi, a screen , its slim, all every other thing around it says nothing about the customer.
6. Microsoft tablet will sell - way more than android ever dreamed - thanks to their Desktop OS.
7. Microsoft - Please don't forget about the Virus.
8. Love U Apple

The Phazer
Jun 19, 2012, 03:31 AM
Send a note. Stay informed.

Catch a show. Make your point.

Make a memory. Make a masterpiece.

Read something. Watch something. And learn something.

Do it all more beautifully, with the Retina display, on iPad.

Upload your CV to the web. Get a jo...

Oops, can't actually do that.

MonkeySee....
Jun 19, 2012, 03:35 AM
Nice little plug for "The Brave" there. Steve Jobs lives on :)

matrix07
Jun 19, 2012, 05:10 AM

E.O. Wilson's Life on Earth.

Stuipdboy1000
Jun 19, 2012, 05:29 AM
Kind of off topic but I'm pretty sure I saw a new ad for iCloud during the Euros last week. Anyone else? It doesn't seem to be on Apple's website or their YouTube channel.

Dr McKay
Jun 19, 2012, 06:07 AM

Nah I think Apples ads have become stale and boring, they're all the same now, yes they're simple and to the point but theres no real "magic" to them anymore.

Sony's Bravia TV advert is still my favourite ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzT3IJnF-k

iamjose
Jun 19, 2012, 06:25 AM

I'm also wondering what app these are... Anyone know?

MonkeySee....
Jun 19, 2012, 06:55 AM
Nice little plug for "The Brave" there. Steve Jobs lives on :)

What sad twats down voted my post, seriously!?

Is there an automatic function that down votes anyone who mentions Steve Jobs now?? :rolleyes:

barredfreak
Jun 19, 2012, 06:58 AM
I don't like how he takes a slight pause before he says masterpiece.

foodog
Jun 19, 2012, 07:05 AM
I don't care for Apple's new type of advertising. I think their best days thus far were with the narration-less iPod dancing silhouette and MacBook Air in an envelope with only music. These commericals stood out and always made me want to stop and watch them when they came on. The new narrated ones, albeit well written, don't stand out enough through the rest of the ads. Still great products though.

Yea why would you ever think showing the capabilities of a product would help sell it. What were they thinking!

840quadra
Jun 19, 2012, 07:15 AM
I like this guy's voice better than the guy with the Smucker's voice, but the ad still has a smarmy sound to it. I can't believe I prefer the narration of Jeff Goldblum. He didn't take himself seriously and being over the top was part of his shtick, so there was no saccharin sentimentality at the least.

I too miss Goldblum, but not for the reasons you mention. ;)

He had a great voice for Apple, and had a genuine enthusiastic feel for the products he was pushing. Would love to hear him back for a future ad or two . :)

boogieman03
Jun 19, 2012, 07:17 AM

I think "memory" app is the journal part of iPhoto.

HishamAkhtar
Jun 19, 2012, 07:22 AM
Why is everyone ******** on Microsoft because Apple made an ad? I think it's good that they made a tablet to increase the competition in the tablet market.

I love Apple but some of Microsoft's concepts in Windows 8 are interesting and from the videos I've seen it looks like the Windows multitasking is better than in iOS.

uknowimright
Jun 19, 2012, 07:34 AM
glad I know the difference between a full blown tv ad and a teaser

Skika
Jun 19, 2012, 07:51 AM
No pricing
No info on availability

I don't even

Why even release it? It kinda reeks despair/trying too hard.

12dylan34
Jun 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
Yea why would you ever think showing the capabilities of a product would help sell it. What were they thinking!

Because that's the boring and traditional way of advertising. Apple isn't a boring and traditional company. Funny how they were able to sell so many iPods without without saying a single word in most of their ads.

My point stills stands that in my opinion, this type of commercial is less attention grabbing than ads they've done in the past. That's all that I was saying.

Ryth
Jun 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Except that they don't do it enough. I've never seen a Mac ad on TV and only a couple of iPad ads. I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone ad on TV besides the stupid Siri ads.

iMac adds were run all the time back in the day. iPad ads show up every now and then. iPhone ads run more then the others. Sam Jackson, Zoey, John Malkovich, etc.

But seriously ask yourself this. Why do you need to waste money doing LOTS of advertising if your product advertises itself and you can do minimal advertising?

Apple doesn't need to advertise on TV much. They pick their time and place and do it. The rest of the time, they have billboards up and their web presence.

Their best 'advertising' is the millions of iPhones and iPads and Laptops out there everyday in public being used by millions of people. You cannot walk down the street without seeing hundreds of these devices everyday.

THAT is the best advertising you can ever get.

----------

Nah I think Apples ads have become stale and boring, they're all the same now, yes they're simple and to the point but theres no real "magic" to them anymore.

Sony's Bravia TV advert is still my favourite ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzT3IJnF-k

That ad is horrible.

Anytime you have to take the focus off your product and do something 'creative/artsy'...that means your product isn't that interesting to begin with. (take a look at Microsoft's 'Surface' ads with all the stupid high tech/sci-fi looking graphics and other things that have NOTHING to do with the tablet. These are just as bad as the 'Droid' commercials with the ridiculous movie type 3D graphics to just showcase some phone, which they don't even do.).

The key to a successful commercial is showing how your product works and how a person can implement that product into their lives. You might think that is 'boring' but products need to be shown doing what they do in real world application.

DougB541
Jun 19, 2012, 11:11 AM
Why do people think the Microsoft Surface teaser video is a commercial that will ever make it to TV?

My head hurts sometimes cause of the internet.

johngordon
Jun 19, 2012, 11:55 AM

You mean you weren't sold by the arty shots of metal balls whizzing around?

I agree completely on that - compare all the shots of people doing stuff on the iPad compared to a single brief shot at the end of the MS ad showing an unfamiliar to most people shot of Windows 8 / Metro.

waynemel
Jun 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
What is the app when referenced for Masterpiece?

foodog
Jun 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Because that's the boring and traditional way of advertising. Apple isn't a boring and traditional company. Funny how they were able to sell so many iPods without without saying a single word in most of their ads.

My point stills stands that in my opinion, this type of commercial is less attention grabbing than ads they've done in the past. That's all that I was saying.

You are right point well taken.

absynth
Jun 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Yuck these new commercials from Apple make me vomit. Kelly Family style.

WeegieMac
Jun 19, 2012, 01:04 PM
Passive aggressive response to the Zune II????

Fixed that for you.

And no ...

GGto
Jun 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
Some one Know What is the software used when the voice said "make ā memory" ( the demonstrator swap two pictures in ā photo composition )

foiden
Jun 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'm actually simply amazed that Microsoft still puts out advertisement like that. Really. Wasn't it like years ago, and maybe multiple years, we were talking all about how to market the product in the mobile/tablet market. Show people using it and the practical application, don't concentrate on specs to sell something. Alas, they are trying to sell a device again only to tech-heads and computer operators that know all about that GHZ/MHZ significance of ram, etc.

You wont capture the wide casual market (the real money makers) with advertising like that. However, I'm disappointed that Microsoft doesn't seem to know this. This should be obvious by now. All the people stating what was good about the Apple commercials was ignored. Really, who is working marketing at Microsoft, now? Heck, I'd love to see somebody try to compete but to totally ignore the successful marketting campaign in 2012 is about 5 years dumb (from a tech that took off in 2007 with the good commercials). Apple doesn't have intellectual property protection for how their commercials work. Who would? Even Samsung has learned to start doing commercials that actually make sense to the right people.

But seriously. Microsoft marketting should know better.

Navdakilla
Jun 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
What convenient timing

faroZ06
Jun 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
iMac adds were run all the time back in the day. iPad ads show up every now and then. iPhone ads run more then the others. Sam Jackson, Zoey, John Malkovich, etc.

But seriously ask yourself this. Why do you need to waste money doing LOTS of advertising if your product advertises itself and you can do minimal advertising?

Apple doesn't need to advertise on TV much. They pick their time and place and do it. The rest of the time, they have billboards up and their web presence.

Their best 'advertising' is the millions of iPhones and iPads and Laptops out there everyday in public being used by millions of people. You cannot walk down the street without seeing hundreds of these devices everyday.

THAT is the best advertising you can ever get.[COLOR="#808080"]

It's great to have that kind of free advertising, but paid advertising works too. It's enough to trick a lot of people into getting garbage like the Xoom and the Zune, so it should also work with iOS and Mac OS.

boogieman03
Jun 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
The "masterpiece" app looks like ArtRage. Can't be sure as they hide the bottom where the toolbar is.

gregwyattjr
Jun 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
Am I the only one that's turned off by this guy's voice?

ErikGrim
Jun 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Am I the only one that's turned off by this guy's voice?

Yes. I'm totally turned on by it.

ammoniteboy
Jun 21, 2012, 08:27 PM
The "masterpiece" app is ArtRage.

Aismail
Jun 26, 2012, 04:01 AM
Does anyone know the name of the apps used for that road trip picture collage? and is ArtRage the same app used in the painting of the "This Good" ad? thanks :)