Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zMacintoshz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
NY, FL
i just got my 128ssd MBA and i set it up as a new computer it said i had 95gbs available. shouldn't i have a least 120gbs, because i thought the OS took up 8?

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Thats normal

Things like the Sleep Image (equal to the GB of memory in your MB) and iPhoto/iMovie take up a lot of space

zMacintoshz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
NY, FL
thanks for the quick replies, i mostly plan on using my MBA for taking notes in class. and will have no need for applications such as garageband. is there a way i can delete it?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
thanks for the quick replies, i mostly plan on using my MBA for taking notes in class. and will have no need for applications such as garageband. is there a way i can delete it?

Do you think you're likely to take 95GB of notes?

You could try a google search for deleting garage band, but I wouldn't do so unless you really need the space. Might be nice to have someday.

zMacintoshz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
NY, FL
Do you think you're likely to take 95GB of notes?

You could try a google search for deleting garage band, but I wouldn't do so unless you really need the space. Might be nice to have someday.

i would like to put some music on it and FCPX, ill be getting an iMac soon for heavier work, but i would like to also dual boot on my MBA

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012

Dont you worry about the space now. you still have 95 GB of memory. Its highly unlikely that you will run out of space. If you do run out of memory space, just get a usb memory stick or stick an SD card into the SD card slot to maximize the memory space. Theres no need for you to erase iLife Applications such as the GarageBand. Good Luck!!!

LeGacY X

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
VA, USA
i would like to put some music on it and FCPX, ill be getting an iMac soon for heavier work, but i would like to also dual boot on my MBA

Even for this kind of use you should be fine, just store the FCPX media on an external drive, as you probably wouldn't want that on any portable laptop HDD or SSD.

rookpsu

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Philadelphia

While I would tend to agree that there's no need dumping your native apps at this point, removing them is as easy as dragging them to the trashcan. They can easily be reinstalled through the Mac App Store.

With Lightroom, Logic, and Adobe Premere handling my photos, music, and video editing needs, I was happy to reclaim that 3GB of space occupied by Apple's respective offerings.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Also note that the 128GB SSD is really 121GB. The 256GB SSD is really 251GB. Solid state drives set aside a portion of the usable flash memory for "overprovisioning." You can look it up on Wikipedia, but the short story is that it uses the "extra" space for maintenance to preserve the life of the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.