Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St3b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
So I use terminal and command line for a lot of things so I keep it in my dock, I noticed at some point that the where it says computername:~ UserName$ it shows the computer name as "ipad". not at all sure what could be causing this but I have also noticed that it is not all the time, only sometimes. Could my home network be causing this? or school network? If you have seen this before or know of the possible issue please let me know!

Thanks, St3b

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
So I use terminal and command line for a lot of things so I keep it in my dock, I noticed at some point that the where it says computername:~ UserName$ it shows the computer name as "ipad". not at all sure what could be causing this but I have also noticed that it is not all the time, only sometimes. Could my home network be causing this? or school network? If you have seen this before or know of the possible issue please let me know!

Thanks, St3b

I know that there is a way to change the name via command line, but I doubt you did that because you don't know how it got there. If I were you I'd start googling for a way to change the computer name via Terminal.

St3b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
If I were you I'd start googling for a way to change the computer name via Terminal.

I have tried this, but I have also edited the name in system preferences to see if it would change. I just tried turning my Wi-Fi off and opening terminal, it comes up with the actual computer name in case sensitive letters, when I turn the Wi-Fi back on, it comes up either as "ipad" or as the real computer name but all lowercase. Again, not sure why its only sometimes that this happens but I have been trying it multiple times and it seems to be about 50% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.