Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
I have a Black MacBook that I want to restore to factory settings but I don't have a MacOSX DVD. How can I do this and just download MacOSX Snow Leopard or Lion and install it from the restore menu?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a Black MacBook that I want to restore to factory settings but I don't have a MacOSX DVD. How can I do this and just download MacOSX Snow Leopard or Lion and install it from the restore menu?
What version of Mac OS X do you have installed? If earlier than Lion, you can either order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US), or you can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard or you can upgrade to Lion.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
What version of Mac OS X do you have installed? If earlier than Lion, you can either order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US), or you can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard or you can upgrade to Lion.

will a 2006 macbok 2.0ghz 2gb ram handle lion well?

In case I purchase Lion online, how can I install it? I have to burn it to a DVD form another mac and insert it to the MAcbook while restoring?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
will a 2006 macbok 2.0ghz 2gb ram handle lion well?
It may handle it, but not well. Is it an early or late 2006 MacBook? The early ones had a max of 2GB of RAM, while the later ones would go to 3GB. 2GB is the minimum requirement for Lion and you may not like the performance at that level. Of course, it depends on what you use your computer for. Your needs may not be very demanding.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
It may handle it, but not well. Is it an early or late 2006 MacBook? The early ones had a max of 2GB of RAM, while the later ones would go to 3GB. 2GB is the minimum requirement for Lion and you may not like the performance at that level. Of course, it depends on what you use your computer for. Your needs may not be very demanding.

early 2006, yup it's maxed at 2GB.

I think I'll be better up with snow Leopard then. I'll have to buy a cheap copy I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.