PDA

View Full Version : I'm loving the 3.5" screen, all these androids 4.7"+ =bulky

imeth
Jun 19, 2012, 01:58 AM
Ok maybe it's because I had PRK done in the past, I am so used to the iPhone screen size. If Apple do decide to make their screen on future iPhones size of HTC EVO to Samsung Galaxy all these craps, I will be keeping my 4s for a long time. Maybe a lil minor size upgrade if they have to but I'm one of those that's not complaining.. I was at a sprint store earlier those gigantic phones are so hard to type. SMH

docprego
Jun 19, 2012, 02:03 AM
Ok maybe it's because I had PRK done in the past, I am so used to the iPhone screen size. If Apple do decide to make their screen on future iPhones size of HTC EVO to Samsung Galaxy all these craps, I will be keeping my 4s for a long time. Maybe a lil minor size upgrade if they have to but I'm one of those that's not complaining.. I was at a sprint store earlier those gigantic phones are so hard to type. SMH

I just came to the 4S from a Galaxy SII (4.5") and I have to agree. I don't miss the larger screen at all and I am finding that it is very convenient to be able to reach all areas of my phone with one hand. I thought the screen size disparity would be difficult to accept but it hasn't been at all.

mbell1975
Jun 19, 2012, 02:13 AM

Cool, you are definitely in the minority though

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/14/people-want-supersized-cell-phones-new-study-shows/

romiebleed
Jun 19, 2012, 02:18 AM
I totally agree with the above 2 posts. I hate big screens just on the comfort zone. 3.5 is way better and apple please dont increase the screen size.

Twixt
Jun 19, 2012, 02:28 AM

Maybe some people don't mind using two hands whereas you do.
I guess AAPL has no choice and will increase screen size no matter what.
But a part of customer basis is women who for sure mind having a too large screen. 4 inches is probably the right point in the middle

Jessica Lares
Jun 19, 2012, 02:28 AM
Most people here that don't like 4+ inch screens just don't like them because they're not on an Apple product. Trust me, the moment they announce the new iPhone and it has the bigger screen, everyone will want it. A thicker phone will fit much better in your pocket, and it'll also be a lot more natural to use because you can look at it a little farther away.

I use both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with one hand.

ChazUK
Jun 19, 2012, 02:36 AM
What's with the recent spate of iPhone justification threads knocking other platforms for whatever reason?

I like having the choice of a larger screen. You, likewise have the choice of the iPhone's smaller screen. What is the problem?

Ljohnson72
Jun 19, 2012, 02:57 AM
My view:
3.5" = too small
4.7"+ = too big
4" - 4.3" = just right.

Caveat being if the phone uses on-screen buttons or not.

And OP, you can't type on the bigger phones because you're not used to it. Typing on my Galaxy Nexus is far more pleasant than the tiny iPhone screen.

Technarchy
Jun 19, 2012, 04:12 AM
My last two android phones were versions of the Galaxy SII.

I came from the Sprint GSII/Epic 4G Touch, then went to the Galaxy SII on AT&T...

Obviously both have larger screens than the iPhone.

Does it matter? Initially I thought it would, but over time I actually found the iPhone to be a much more seamless and pleasurable product to use.

nephron8
Jun 19, 2012, 06:17 AM
I agree about size. Huge phones are pain to carry and use.
Who knows I may continue using my 4s for couple of yrs.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
I doubt Apple would ever take the iPhone screen close to or above 5 inches for the next several releases. Why would they want to tighten the gap between the iPhone and iPad?

cynics
Jun 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
I can use a 4.3 screen very easily even on the wide Razr only because nearly everything that needs touching is at the bottom.

I really hope apple can address this in later iOS versions. The back/cancel in most (nearly all) apps is at the upper left

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc4a3e-8ea9-b574.jpg

And that's a stretch for me. With a case I need to slightly adjust my hand. So in the end I can use a larger screen more comfortable as long as the UI is designed for it.

Wrathwitch
Jun 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
LOL It's always glad to see people loving their toys/devices!

I myself have small hands but find typing on the iPhone a pain (it was MUCH better than the BB Storm I had haha). I tested out Gnex at the Telus store and it was a PLEASURE to type on compared to the iPhone!

What can I say, I have freaky thumbs! I always feel like a mongo squirrel holding a tiny nut when I have to try to type in portrait mode! Since my thumbs are rather stunty, I can't really type effectively one handed anyways, so might as well go for the bigger screen haha!!

Viva Variety!!!

nefan65
Jun 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
Cool, you are definitely in the minority though

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/14/people-want-supersized-cell-phones-new-study-shows/

Not sure I'd hold my hat on an article posted on BGR. I agree, a lot of people like the the larger screens, and I'd buy any iPhone with a larger screen if it had it. But can't really take anything on BGR, or similar sites as "fact".

mbell1975
Jun 19, 2012, 10:29 AM
Not sure I'd hold my hat on an article posted on BGR. I agree, a lot of people like the the larger screens, and I'd buy any iPhone with a larger screen if it had it. But can't really take anything on BGR, or similar sites as "fact".

Ok, well here it is on venture beat. It's on another dozen tech sites as well...

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/15/people-want-their-next-phone-to-have-a-big-a-screen-survey-says/

boomhower
Jun 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
I've owned a 4.3" Android device before and liked it a lot. I thought that was one of the things I was going to miss but I've acclimated quite well to the smaller screen of the iPhone. To me it's much more usable. I certainly wouldn't mind a larger screen but I don't like the way they are going about it according to the rumors. I would prefer to keep the current ratio and not just grow taller.

Fireblade
Jun 19, 2012, 11:10 AM
I noticed only you laughed.. are you a follower all your life?

you noticed laughing only one because of your small screen

Lindenhurst
Jun 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
I agree about size. Huge phones are pain to carry and use.
Who knows I may continue using my 4s for couple of yrs.

I currently use the note and like it allot but it is sometimes a pain to carry around and next to impossible to use with one hand while driving. Everything is a tradeoff.large screen is great on the eyes but not as great on the hands. Give me a larger iPhone and I may be back!

Meanee
Jun 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
It's not just about typing. Screen real estate can show more information, have a better layout. I am loving my Evo LTE 4.7" screen. And yes, I can type with 1 hand. I have to setup people's iPhones for corporate email, or remote connections daily, and honestly, iPhone feels like a toy after that.

msarway
Jun 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
i had the razr maxx and went back to iphone because the size was much better i think the perfect size is 4" after that its just to big. When i held the maxx to my ear i felt like i was holding a big oversized phone! lol but when i need a big screen i use ipad but as a phone to communicate text email on the go iphone size is great, i do think 4" should be max. The phones today are like fast food there is normal then large then supper size me!

Technarchy
Jun 19, 2012, 11:48 AM
People want a bigger screen so bad that even the iPhone 3GS outsold every single big screen android phone on the market in 2011...

...what?

Meanee
Jun 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
People want a bigger screen so bad that even the iPhone 3GS outsold every single big screen android phone on the market in 2011...

...what?

There's no single model phone that will outsell iPhone. So your post is irrelevant. Now, if there was a metric that compares big screen Android phone "group" vs iPhone, you would see that the group is outselling iPhone easily.

Technarchy
Jun 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
There's no single model phone that will outsell iPhone. So your post is irrelevant. Now, if there was a metric that compares big screen Android phone "group" vs iPhone, you would see that the group is outselling iPhone easily.

If big screens were all that desirable there would be no way in hell that an out dated, 3 year old 3GS with a "small" screen would be able to outsell something like the Galaxy SII...

Also the 3GS is only sold on one carrier, unlike the GSII line...

I.Love.Apple
Jun 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
I totally agree with the above 2 posts. I hate big screens just on the comfort zone. 3.5 is way better and apple please dont increase the screen size.

Or, just maybe, Apple could manage to produce two or even three different phone models with different screen sizes? Not only people hand sizes differ but people use phones for different purposes. Those who use phones in the cars (they should not) will appreciate smaller screens whereas people who use their phones to browse Internet, watch movies etc. would definitely benefit from larger screens.

Meanee
Jun 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
If big screens were all that desirable there would be no way in hell that an out dated, 3 year old 3GS with a "small" screen would be able to outsell something like the Galaxy SII...

Also the 3GS is only sold on one carrier, unlike the GSII line...

Again, group it.

there are about 33 million iPhone 3GS/3G out there. For example, Sprint Evo 4G (1st one) sold 350,000 first day alone, and been selling out for another month and a half. Throw Evo 3D, One X, One S, Evo 4G LTE, Inspire 4G, Thunderbolt.

This is one manufacturer only. Add Motorola, Samsung and you can see that large screen format outselling iPhone 3GS/3G.

mbell1975
Jun 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
Again, group it.

there are about 33 million iPhone 3GS/3G out there. For example, Sprint Evo 4G (1st one) sold 350,000 first day alone, and been selling out for another month and a half. Throw Evo 3D, One X, One S, Evo 4G LTE, Inspire 4G, Thunderbolt.

This is one manufacturer only. Add Motorola, Samsung and you can see that large screen format outselling iPhone 3GS/3G.

The Galaxy S2 sold over 40 million units.

nickchallis92
Jun 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
a galaxy s3 + a jailbroken ipad 3 = probably the best of both worlds

madfelon
Jun 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
a galaxy s3 + a jailbroken ipad 3 = probably the best of both worlds

You sir are correct. I have a rooted moto photon with wifi tether connected to my new Ipad and I'm in heaven. I am waiting out the Sprint LTE launch here in Chicago till the bugs are worked out because right now my Wimax connection is rock solid when I need it.

johndallas999
Jun 19, 2012, 04:24 PM

Sorry but i think you are in the minority on this buddy.

blairh
Jun 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Once Apple moves to a 4" screen, there will be few, if any, smartphones with less than 4" screens on the market.

sentinelsx
Jun 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
I do not understand why anyone thinks the iPhone needs to grow because the android phones are over 4 in. screen sizes or the iPhone needs to stay at 3.5 because the android phones are too big....

IMO the iPhone needs to grow because i find 3.5 to be inadequate for my needs. Now why do we need to drag android into this? Is this the only reason many people are against a 4 in. iPhone? Because android has it and they won't feel unique?

onthecouchagain
Jun 20, 2012, 10:43 AM
I do not understand why anyone thinks the iPhone needs to grow because the android phones are over 4 in. screen sizes or the iPhone needs to stay at 3.5 because the android phones are too big....

IMO the iPhone needs to grow because i find 3.5 to be inadequate for my needs. Now why do we need to drag android into this? Is this the only reason many people are against a 4 in. iPhone? Because android has it and they won't feel unique?

I agree that the iPhone needs to be larger for iOS' sake. I've always said, the desire for a larger iPhone isn't an iOS/iPhone vs. Android issue.

But to answer your question, I suppose because Android and, to some extent, Windows devices are the only ones that we can compare and gauge what the experience of a larger iPhone would be. Not just physically, but also software-wise. Even though they're different OS-es, we can get a sense of what it's like to browse, type, read, play games, etc. on a larger screen. It also inevitably comes up when people worry about non-issues like "if it's not 3.5, it won't fit in my pocket!" or "I can't reach the top of the screen" (which in most cases, is a mere few millimeters of difference), and the response from those who have actually tried it is "Well, my larger Android device fits perfectly fine into my pockets and reaching the top of the screen is only a minor adjustment."

A larger iPhone for iOS would be glorious to use in its own right.

rever3nce
Jun 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
For me , 3.5 is perfect. Fits in my palm well, as well as my pocket. Its supposed to be portable and compact. I would have to actually hold and feel the new iphone if it is 4" before I can say I like or dislike it.

sentinelsx
Jun 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
I agree that the iPhone needs to be larger for iOS' sake. I've always said, the desire for a larger iPhone isn't an iOS/iPhone vs. Android issue.

But to answer your question, I suppose because Android and, to some extent, Windows devices are the only ones that we can compare and gauge what the experience of a larger iPhone would be. Not just physically, but also software-wise. Even though they're different OS-es, we can get a sense of what it's like to browse, type, read, play games, etc. on a larger screen. It also inevitably comes up when people worry about non-issues like "if it's not 3.5, it won't fit in my pocket!" or "I can't reach the top of the screen" (which in most cases, is a mere few millimeters of difference), and the response from those who have actually tried it is "Well, my larger Android device fits perfectly fine into my pockets and reaching the top of the screen is only a minor adjustment."

A larger iPhone for iOS would be glorious to use in its own right.

I agree, but many people are comparing a 4.7in. android phone with a 3.5 in. phone to argue against 4 in. from what i have always seen. That's like saying i don't like a V12, and hence you should not get a V6 instead of V4. lol.

Although i must say that the HTC One X is not as uncomfortable as people would like to think. The note is definitely going towards a tablet but the 4.7 in. One X is still quite easy to operate and carry in my experience. Now even a 4.3 in. screen looks so cramped to me.

The key is to minimize bezel and maximize screen size.

----------

Its supposed to be portable and compact.

Problem is, people still think that it is a fact that 3.5 in equals portable and compact and nothing else.

I use both and iPhone 4 and the HTC One X and trust me, i fail to understand the worrying masses about bigger screen sizes. The phone even looks like it is just a 4in. size. It is all dependent on design.

Now a galaxy note though, definitely a bit too big haha.

SurferMan
Jun 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Problem is, people still think that it is a fact that 3.5 in equals portable and compact and nothing else.

I use both and iPhone 4 and the HTC One X and trust me, i fail to understand the worrying masses about bigger screen sizes. The phone even looks like it is just a 4in. size. It is all dependent on design.
Maybe if so many guys would stop wearing size 0 chick jeans like seems to be all the rage and style right now lol, they can barely get a finger in their pocket let alone a hand/phone :D .

But I agree, has nothing to do with wanting a bigger screen just b/c Android does etc. I would like it just b/c it's flat out better and more efficient to use especially for my use with business and media and browsing etc. iPhones screen never bothered me till I got my GSII and realized how much nicer it is to do everything on the 4.3" screen, night and day better. Next iPhone in 4-4.3" range would be great. And the phone itself it barely bigger than then our iPhones.

onthecouchagain
Jun 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Quite frankly, my Galaxy Nexus is more comfortable in my pockets than my iPhone 4S ever was. Being thinner really helps, as does the slight curvature and rounded edges.

dontwalkhand
Jun 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
I say, bring on the larger screen because I do feel that the keyboard on my 4 is a little too cramped. Unfortunately making it taller wouldn't exactly help out the situation unless you're in landscape mode.

saud0488
Jun 20, 2012, 02:41 PM

...what?

It's hard to beat free. And it's also hard to beat free without contract. Isn't that why they increased the price to like 99 cents since people were entering fake SSN's when signing up for service, along with fake addresses and such? That would certainly show why the 3gs outsold (or outstole) the competition.

----------

I'm guessing that those that feel that 3.5 inches is perfect for a smartphone also feel that 9.7 inches is perfect for a tablet and didn't feel that 11 inch laptops were great....until October 2010.

sakau2007
Jun 20, 2012, 03:32 PM
I've got pretty small hands and love that I can use the iPhone with 1 hand with ease and cover basically the whole screen. The 4.7" and 4.8" screens that I've seen were basically impossible for me to use comfortably with one hand. Bigger screen, but way inferior user experience (for me).

That being said, I think increasing the screen size to something like 3.8 or maybe 4 inches would be okay. Anything bigger than that though and I think my experience would begin to suffer.

cynics
Jun 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
I can use a 4.3 screen very easily even on the wide Razr only because nearly everything that needs touching is at the bottom.

I really hope apple can address this in later iOS versions. The back/cancel in most (nearly all) apps is at the upper left

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc4a3e-8ea9-b574.jpg)

And that's a stretch for me. With a case I need to slightly adjust my hand. So in the end I can use a larger screen more comfortable as long as the UI is designed for it.

I want to bump my post. Hasn't anyone else noticed this? Seems to me you could make the screen 10" as long as everything you touch when using the phone one handed is in the lower right or left 3" of the screen. Granted it wouldn't fit in most pockets but I'm just using that as an example.

sakau2007
Jun 20, 2012, 04:02 PM
I want to bump my post. Hasn't anyone else noticed this? Seems to me you could make the screen 10" as long as everything you touch when using the phone one handed is in the lower right or left 3" of the screen. Granted it wouldn't fit in most pockets but I'm just using that as an example.

it would take some radical changes to iOS... some of which make iOS what it is... a very simple to use, intuitive mobile OS, for that to really work. I touch my screen all the time... to scroll, zoom in, zoom out, select things on the screen, click hyperlinks, etc... not just the closing and opening of apps.

monkeylui
Jun 20, 2012, 04:45 PM
I'm moving to the Galaxy S3 exactly because the iPhone screen is just too small for me. I'm tired of it. I wanted a bigger phone, even bigger than the rumored 4in iPhone 5. I like ICS & the OSes are essentially the same for me. I've been using the Galaxy Tab 2 for some time now and very comfortable with ICS.

mackinmike
Jun 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
i guess you won't be upgrading to the iphone5 when the screen > 3.5" then?

boomboom2
Jun 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
I've used phone in sizes from 3.5" all the way to the 5.3" Note and i think 4.3" is the perfect size for me. I think the smallest I would consider now is 4.

ahfu25
Jun 20, 2012, 05:45 PM
I guarantee all the people who've said that the 3'5 screen is perfect will one day say the 4'5 inch is perfect if apple ever upgrades the screen size to that....Lol...I wouldn't mind a Bigger screen!

mbell1975
Jun 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
I guarantee all the people who've said that the 3'5 screen is perfect will one day say the 4'5 inch is perfect if apple ever upgrades the screen size to that....Lol...I wouldn't mind a Bigger screen!

Yep.All it would take is another hypnotizing video with some guy on a bright white background with hipster music taking about why a 4.5 inch screen is revolutionary and the fanboys will rejoice while throwing money at the screen.

albertxp06
Jun 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
Having used a One X extensively and coming back to the iPhone (had to return the One X to a friend), 3.5" is a bit too small. I missed the One X's screen. Though the colors may have been oversaturated, everything looked crisp and clear on its 4.7" (or maybe it's 4.8) screen. The One X allowed me to view much more content on the screen. The One X also felt amazing to (only annoyance being the camera sticking out).

On the other hand, it is much easier to use the iPhone one handed. And all of my apps are purchased from the App Store so I can stay within the same ecosystem.

I think 4.3" is the sweet spot.

Vegastouch
Jun 20, 2012, 07:41 PM

Your the first one id seen say that. I hated typing on my iPhone. The keyboard was so small, it was a nightmare for me and very unenjoyable to text. Glad i have a bigger keyboard and man options for keyboards to use.

Lindenhurst
Jun 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
Having used a One X extensively and coming back to the iPhone (had to return the One X to a friend), 3.5" is a bit too small. I missed the One X's screen. Though the colors may have been oversaturated, everything looked crisp and clear on its 4.7" (or maybe it's 4.8) screen. The One X allowed me to view much more content on the screen. The One X also felt amazing to (only annoyance being the camera sticking out).

On the other hand, it is much easier to use the iPhone one handed. And all of my apps are purchased from the App Store so I can stay within the same ecosystem.

I think 4.3" is the sweet spot.

I agree about the size. I switched from IP4 to Galaxy Note, and although the phone is terrific, it is too big for comfortable one handed operation. It's all a tradeoff I guess.

chiefpavvy
Jun 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
Agreed. I like the 3.5" size. Give me a faster CPU/GPU and more RAM. They can keep the 4S form factor. (I know none of these will be true but I can dream...)

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
The current screen size doesn't bother me at all, but I do crave for a slightly bigger size. I think most iPhone users probably feel the same, which is why the next iPhone will be a hit.

AR999
Jun 21, 2012, 12:27 PM
Once Apple moves to a 4" screen, there will be few, if any, smartphones with less than 4" screens on the market.

Thats already the case TBH.

Certainly not anything thats costs as much as an iphone anyway.

TroyBoy30
Jun 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
i can operate my 4.6 " gnex just fine with 1 hand but I don't have girl hands!

mbell1975
Jun 21, 2012, 01:03 PM
Chances are slim to none the new iPhone will have a larger display. Everyone has been speculating it would the last two years and it hasn't happened. Apple could've easily made a bigger screen iPhone by now if they wanted to but they clearly don't.

nburwell
Jun 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
While I'm not totally against a bigger screen iPhone, I am used to the 3.5" size since I have owned every model of the iPhone since it was introduced back in 2007. With that said, as long as Apple doesn't make the new iPhone look or feel like a brick, I'm still going to upgrade from my 4S.

SurferMan
Jun 21, 2012, 01:20 PM
Chances are slim to none the new iPhone will have a larger display. Everyone has been speculating it would the last two years and it hasn't happened. Apple could've easily made a bigger screen iPhone by now if they wanted to but they clearly don't.Isn't it only going to be stretched lengthwise though? Thats what I thought kinda sucked, I was hoping more so for a little taller and a little wider at the same time. Like my GSII at 4.3", it's a little taller and wider at the same time over my iPhones which allows it to have the screen increase diagonally but with a footprint not much bigger overall then the iPhone, and if it was just taller and the same width I wouldn't have liked it much. It's that extra width that makes it better to hold and use (type, browse etc).

mbell1975
Jun 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
Isn't it only going to be stretched lengthwise though? Thats what I thought kinda sucked, I was hoping more so for a little taller and a little wider at the same time. Like my GSII at 4.3", it's a little taller and wider at the same time over my iPhones which allows it to have the screen increase diagonally but with a footprint not much bigger overall then the iPhone, and if it was just taller and the same width I wouldn't have liked it much. It's that extra width that makes it better to hold and use (type, browse etc).

What dimensions would it be? They would have to force every app maker to make it fit the new standard? A lot of work. Its not like an Android app thats structured to fit multiple size screens.

Frankied22
Jun 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
I will laugh so hard f the next iPhone is still 3.5 and we all got trolled again. Do you remember leading up to the 4S event? People were convinced it would be a new design with a bigger screen, myself included. There were so many leaked parts, designs, cases, and "analysts" confirming it. I really do believe we will see a 4" iPhone this time around, but we can never be sure. I woudnt put it past Apple to fool us again.

Also, I don't like those supposed leaked iPhone 5's either. I would want the screen to be taller and wider (SGIII, One X, Nexus, etc). Just making it taller seems silly. Also, I'm not liking the idea of having to buy all new accessories to support a new 19-pin connector. The moving of the headphone jack to the bottom also irks me.

monkeylui
Jun 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
Isn't it only going to be stretched lengthwise though? Thats what I thought kinda sucked, I was hoping more so for a little taller and a little wider at the same time. Like my GSII at 4.3", it's a little taller and wider at the same time over my iPhones which allows it to have the screen increase diagonally but with a footprint not much bigger overall then the iPhone, and if it was just taller and the same width I wouldn't have liked it much. It's that extra width that makes it better to hold and use (type, browse etc).

Supposedly yes. Even just a hair over 4" I am not even interested. I want bigger & again that's why I am getting the GS3.

oBMTo
Sep 22, 2012, 03:40 PM

I bet you are loving the bigger screen size now that it has an :apple: on the back.

tech4all
Sep 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
I bet you are loving the bigger screen size now that it has an :apple: on the back.

The Apple logo is like the Mickey ears; putting it on something increases the price by at least 50%.

As for screen sizes, I'd say 4.75" is the max for a screen size. My Nexus is like 4.6" or so and feels just right.

imeth
Sep 22, 2012, 08:08 PM

LMAO indeed!! 4.0 please no more upgrade... I can still type with 1 hand unlike Samsung crap

flopticalcube
Sep 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
I agree with the OP that, for me, 4.7" phone screens are a touch too big. 3.5" is too small, however. Good thing is that with Android, you have a choice rather than be stuck with what Apple considers to be perfect for everyone... this year. Played with Jelly Bean on a friends Nexus and it was incredibly smooth, even the big screen wasn't so bad anymore. Far more interesting interface than iOS for me.

oBMTo
Sep 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
LOL, you are not fooling anyone by lying that you had the S3 for a week.

nba1341
Sep 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
4.3 inch screen = best

intervenient
Sep 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
Yeah 4.3 really is the best. I wish manufacturers would stop putting the best only in these giant phones.

Technarchy
Sep 23, 2012, 01:39 AM
I just came to the 4S from a Galaxy SII (4.5") and I have to agree. I don't miss the larger screen at all and I am finding that it is very convenient to be able to reach all areas of my phone with one hand. I thought the screen size disparity would be difficult to accept but it hasn't been at all.

I came from a 4.5" Sprint GS2 to iPhone and I 100% agree. The transition was not at all painful. To the extent that I now find platter phones to be a liability.

I like and prefer the smaller screens on the iPhone.

iphonefan74
Sep 23, 2012, 02:04 AM
I wonder if these people who like tiny screen phones also prefer to drive Minis, have 13 inch monitors and 26 inch TVs too :p Must not do too much multimedia. Playing games and watching movies on a 4 inch or smaller screen would be craptastic

Calidude
Sep 23, 2012, 02:36 AM
I came from a 4.5" Sprint GS2 to iPhone
Oh my god no wonder you came back to iPhone. Sprint Galaxy phones? That's like pure hell.

Calidude
Sep 23, 2012, 04:31 AM
It took Google 10 years to get the google maps right.. This is the first release with company Tomtom to get apple map running even less time to be better than google just watch.
Do you guys ever learn? Honestly now, Google is too far ahead to be caught up to. You have to be crazy to think that Apple maps will be as good as Google maps anytime soon.

You simply have to be completely out of touch with reality to think Apple can catch up this year, next year, or the year after that.

roxxette
Sep 23, 2012, 05:45 AM
Do you guys ever learn? Honestly now, Google is too far ahead to be caught up to. You have to be crazy to think that Apple maps will be as good as Google maps anytime soon.

You simply have to be completely out of touch with reality to think Apple can catch up this year, next year, or the year after that.

Im 100% the "imeth" guy is american (no offence to cool americans) but it seems some think USA is the only country in the world, probably the only place where apple maps have some use.

tbayrgs
Sep 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sigh...it's people like the OP that ruin it for the rest of us Apple fans.

I personally also prefer devices smaller than the current crop of 4.8"+ phones but the iPhone is still a bit too small. As mentioned by a few others, I think 4.3" is the sweet spot. Based on Apples track record, I think I can look forward to an iPhone this size in ohh, 5-6 years.

onthecouchagain
Sep 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
Sigh...it's people like the OP that ruin it for the rest of us Apple fans.

It's precisely why I advocate for assessing Apple honestly and as consistently as one would assess the competition. :]

milk242
Sep 27, 2012, 03:41 AM
I like 4" phones. The iPhone 5, Motorola Atrix, Nokia n9 (~3.8"), Meizu MX. It's just too bad not many manufacturers like that form factor. Eventually I think Apple will also go larger in the distant future. The 4" phone screen breed is dying 😕

annk
Sep 27, 2012, 05:20 AM
Numerous trolling, bickering, off-topic, and/or insulting posts have been deleted from this thread. Please keep it on topic, and within the rules.

Carry on...