Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imeth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Ok maybe it's because I had PRK done in the past, I am so used to the iPhone screen size. If Apple do decide to make their screen on future iPhones size of HTC EVO to Samsung Galaxy all these craps, I will be keeping my 4s for a long time. Maybe a lil minor size upgrade if they have to but I'm one of those that's not complaining.. I was at a sprint store earlier those gigantic phones are so hard to type. SMH

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Ok maybe it's because I had PRK done in the past, I am so used to the iPhone screen size. If Apple do decide to make their screen on future iPhones size of HTC EVO to Samsung Galaxy all these craps, I will be keeping my 4s for a long time. Maybe a lil minor size upgrade if they have to but I'm one of those that's not complaining.. I was at a sprint store earlier those gigantic phones are so hard to type. SMH

I just came to the 4S from a Galaxy SII (4.5") and I have to agree. I don't miss the larger screen at all and I am finding that it is very convenient to be able to reach all areas of my phone with one hand. I thought the screen size disparity would be difficult to accept but it hasn't been at all.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

Cool, you are definitely in the minority though

http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/14/people-want-supersized-cell-phones-new-study-shows/

romiebleed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
johannesburg
I totally agree with the above 2 posts. I hate big screens just on the comfort zone. 3.5 is way better and apple please dont increase the screen size.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

Maybe some people don't mind using two hands whereas you do.
I guess AAPL has no choice and will increase screen size no matter what.
But a part of customer basis is women who for sure mind having a too large screen. 4 inches is probably the right point in the middle

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Most people here that don't like 4+ inch screens just don't like them because they're not on an Apple product. Trust me, the moment they announce the new iPhone and it has the bigger screen, everyone will want it. A thicker phone will fit much better in your pocket, and it'll also be a lot more natural to use because you can look at it a little farther away.

I use both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with one hand.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What's with the recent spate of iPhone justification threads knocking other platforms for whatever reason?

I like having the choice of a larger screen. You, likewise have the choice of the iPhone's smaller screen. What is the problem?

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
My view:
3.5" = too small
4.7"+ = too big
4" - 4.3" = just right.

Caveat being if the phone uses on-screen buttons or not.

And OP, you can't type on the bigger phones because you're not used to it. Typing on my Galaxy Nexus is far more pleasant than the tiny iPhone screen.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My last two android phones were versions of the Galaxy SII.

I came from the Sprint GSII/Epic 4G Touch, then went to the Galaxy SII on AT&T...

Obviously both have larger screens than the iPhone.

Does it matter? Initially I thought it would, but over time I actually found the iPhone to be a much more seamless and pleasurable product to use.

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
I agree about size. Huge phones are pain to carry and use.
Who knows I may continue using my 4s for couple of yrs.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I doubt Apple would ever take the iPhone screen close to or above 5 inches for the next several releases. Why would they want to tighten the gap between the iPhone and iPad?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can use a 4.3 screen very easily even on the wide Razr only because nearly everything that needs touching is at the bottom.

I really hope apple can address this in later iOS versions. The back/cancel in most (nearly all) apps is at the upper left

aefc4a3e-8ea9-b574.jpg

And that's a stretch for me. With a case I need to slightly adjust my hand. So in the end I can use a larger screen more comfortable as long as the UI is designed for it.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
LOL It's always glad to see people loving their toys/devices!

I myself have small hands but find typing on the iPhone a pain (it was MUCH better than the BB Storm I had haha). I tested out Gnex at the Telus store and it was a PLEASURE to type on compared to the iPhone!

What can I say, I have freaky thumbs! I always feel like a mongo squirrel holding a tiny nut when I have to try to type in portrait mode! Since my thumbs are rather stunty, I can't really type effectively one handed anyways, so might as well go for the bigger screen haha!!

Viva Variety!!!

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I've owned a 4.3" Android device before and liked it a lot. I thought that was one of the things I was going to miss but I've acclimated quite well to the smaller screen of the iPhone. To me it's much more usable. I certainly wouldn't mind a larger screen but I don't like the way they are going about it according to the rumors. I would prefer to keep the current ratio and not just grow taller.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I agree about size. Huge phones are pain to carry and use.
Who knows I may continue using my 4s for couple of yrs.

I currently use the note and like it allot but it is sometimes a pain to carry around and next to impossible to use with one hand while driving. Everything is a tradeoff.large screen is great on the eyes but not as great on the hands. Give me a larger iPhone and I may be back!

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
It's not just about typing. Screen real estate can show more information, have a better layout. I am loving my Evo LTE 4.7" screen. And yes, I can type with 1 hand. I have to setup people's iPhones for corporate email, or remote connections daily, and honestly, iPhone feels like a toy after that.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i had the razr maxx and went back to iphone because the size was much better i think the perfect size is 4" after that its just to big. When i held the maxx to my ear i felt like i was holding a big oversized phone! lol but when i need a big screen i use ipad but as a phone to communicate text email on the go iphone size is great, i do think 4" should be max. The phones today are like fast food there is normal then large then supper size me!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
People want a bigger screen so bad that even the iPhone 3GS outsold every single big screen android phone on the market in 2011...

...what?

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
People want a bigger screen so bad that even the iPhone 3GS outsold every single big screen android phone on the market in 2011...

...what?

There's no single model phone that will outsell iPhone. So your post is irrelevant. Now, if there was a metric that compares big screen Android phone "group" vs iPhone, you would see that the group is outselling iPhone easily.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
There's no single model phone that will outsell iPhone. So your post is irrelevant. Now, if there was a metric that compares big screen Android phone "group" vs iPhone, you would see that the group is outselling iPhone easily.

If big screens were all that desirable there would be no way in hell that an out dated, 3 year old 3GS with a "small" screen would be able to outsell something like the Galaxy SII...

Also the 3GS is only sold on one carrier, unlike the GSII line...

I.Love.Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
I totally agree with the above 2 posts. I hate big screens just on the comfort zone. 3.5 is way better and apple please dont increase the screen size.

Or, just maybe, Apple could manage to produce two or even three different phone models with different screen sizes? Not only people hand sizes differ but people use phones for different purposes. Those who use phones in the cars (they should not) will appreciate smaller screens whereas people who use their phones to browse Internet, watch movies etc. would definitely benefit from larger screens.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
If big screens were all that desirable there would be no way in hell that an out dated, 3 year old 3GS with a "small" screen would be able to outsell something like the Galaxy SII...

Also the 3GS is only sold on one carrier, unlike the GSII line...

Again, group it.

there are about 33 million iPhone 3GS/3G out there. For example, Sprint Evo 4G (1st one) sold 350,000 first day alone, and been selling out for another month and a half. Throw Evo 3D, One X, One S, Evo 4G LTE, Inspire 4G, Thunderbolt.

This is one manufacturer only. Add Motorola, Samsung and you can see that large screen format outselling iPhone 3GS/3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.