Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarceFX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Graná (Spain)
Hi,

I just got an Apple TV 2. I'm trying to access and play my media files from iTunes an iPhoto, but the files are on an external USB drive connected to the same network.

So far, I can see the USB drive (thanks to aTV Flash), but I can't think of a way to access iPhoto or iTunes without the computer on. Since the TM backup is identical to my files on the Mac, I thought there could be a workaround/hack/app to get this done.

Any ideas?

Thanks

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I just got an Apple TV 2. I'm trying to access and play my media files from iTunes an iPhoto, but the files are on an external USB drive connected to the same network.

So far, I can see the USB drive (thanks to aTV Flash), but I can't think of a way to access iPhoto or iTunes without the computer on. Since the TM backup is identical to my files on the Mac, I thought there could be a workaround/hack/app to get this done.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Time Machine use a proprietary file system, ATV won't be able to read directly from that copy (Not even OSX can read directly to it, you need to enter time machine to access it).

If you want to read from a external Hard Drive without a computer you need to have a NAS service running, or a uPnP server running (most recents routers support uPnP)

MarceFX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Graná (Spain)
Time Machine use a proprietary file system, ATV won't be able to read directly from that copy (Not even OSX can read directly to it, you need to enter time machine to access it).

Well, that's not completely right, I think. I can browse my TimeMachine USB drive and open/play files from Finder (no need for TM):

Movies.jpg

I can transfer files back to my Mac (OSX Lion). I've been doing so for a long time, I have no idea whether Apple changed something on its OS. So, I figured there might be some app able to read these files from that location, allowing us to play them on the Apple TV.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, that's not completely right, I think. I can browse my TimeMachine USB drive and open/play files from Finder (no need for TM):

I can transfer files back to my Mac (OSX Lion). I've been doing so for a long time, I have no idea whether Apple changed something on its OS. So, I figured there might be some app able to read these files from that location, allowing us to play them on the Apple TV.

I guess it change, nonetheless, the NAS/uPnP part still apply, if you want to read without a computer, you need one of those service running where ever the USB drive is connected

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I used ATV Flash on an ATV1, but haven't tried the new iOS versions. In the old version, I was able to connect direct to a network share and then play any NON-DRM media using one of the included players (Nito TV I think). I would think that the new version of ATV Flash would allow something similar using its media player, but have never tried it. You might want to check FireCore's site for list of features.

I would guess that if this works at all, it will only work for files that you ripped yourself, not iTunes purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.