PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Spilled drink on iBook

wordmunger
Jul 21, 2005, 05:24 PM
My son just spilled an entire can of soda on my iBook keyboard!!!!

Any suggestions for what to do? Should I take it apart? Try and dry off the insides? Wash with something? Any help greatly appreciated. I'm moving on to search Apple Forums now.

xFU3Lx
Jul 21, 2005, 05:31 PM
Take the battery out immediately for one.

iGary
Jul 21, 2005, 05:33 PM
Take the battery out and trun it upside down immediately.

Remove the keyboard, start wiping things down, and hopefully it didn't get past your AirPort area.

Good luck, Wordmunger!

wordmunger
Jul 21, 2005, 05:44 PM
Yep, I removed the battery first thing. I've taken the keyboard, airport card, and memory stick out, and cleaned everything I could see with Q-tips. There really wasn't much soda at all when I got down to the level of the memory stick. Maybe things will be okay.

Should I try to open things up any more? I'm assuming I should wait at least 24 hours before I try to start it up.

iGary
Jul 21, 2005, 05:49 PM
Yep, I removed the battery first thing. I've taken the keyboard, airport card, and memory stick out, and cleaned everything I could see with Q-tips. There really wasn't much soda at all when I got down to the level of the memory stick. Maybe things will be okay.

Should I try to open things up any more? I'm assuming I should wait at least 24 hours before I try to start it up.

I'd rinse the keyboard with some isopropyl alcohol (light grade - 30%) to get the sticky sugary stuff out, and maybe take a hair dryer to it for a while, or put it over onf of your floor AC vents (AC air is dehumidified).

Sounds like you'll be OK! :D

wordmunger
Jul 21, 2005, 06:38 PM
I'd rinse the keyboard with some isopropyl alcohol (light grade - 30%) to get the sticky sugary stuff out, and maybe take a hair dryer to it for a while, or put it over onf of your floor AC vents (AC air is dehumidified).

Good idea.

Next question: What should my 13-year-old's penance be?

case 1: the computer recovers, but the boy still needs a lesson.

case 2: the computer is dead, and the boy definitely needs a lesson.

wordmunger
Jul 21, 2005, 06:41 PM
I don't have any isopropyl alcohol, but I do have ethyl alcohol. Will that work?

edit: I also have all kinds of hard liquor: rum, vodka, scotch. Somehow I don't think that's a very good idea ;)

... well, maybe for the owner, but not for the computer, eh?

bodeh6
Jul 21, 2005, 06:44 PM
Time to whip out the old belt and teach him a lesson. :D

Just kidding. Mistakes happen. Just don't give him an allowence, sweets, games, videos, CDs, and whatever else you buy him on a regular basis any more for a few months. Limit the TV and computer usage.

iGary
Jul 21, 2005, 06:47 PM
I don't have any isopropyl alcohol, but I do have ethyl alcohol. Will that work?

edit: I also have all kinds of hard liquor: rum, vodka, scotch. Somehow I don't think that's a very good idea ;)

... well, maybe for the owner, but not for the computer, eh?

It will work, but try not to get it on the keys - it may take of the letters. :eek:

As far as your 13-year-old, just tell em' no food or drink around the computer ever - if you catch him doing it again, suspend computer priveleges. ;)

I've been lucky. Almost spilled coffee and water onto my iBook several times.

EDIT - If he killed the iBook, definitely kill him. :p

fallerg
Jul 21, 2005, 06:53 PM

Just kidding. Mistakes happen. Just don't give him an allowence, sweets, games, videos, CDs, and whatever else you buy him on a regular basis any more for a few months. Limit the TV and computer usage.

You are harsh :eek: Just ban him from soda (assuming that he drinks it alot.) That would hurt :rolleyes:

Bibulous
Jul 21, 2005, 06:56 PM
ty

leekohler
Jul 21, 2005, 07:02 PM
Oh no! That's awful. I hope it lives. The boy should not go near a computer for a week. That'll teach him. :)

mad jew
Jul 21, 2005, 07:19 PM
EDIT - If he killed the iBook, definitely kill him. :p

An eye for an i, I like your thinking iGary. :)

katie ta achoo
Jul 21, 2005, 07:25 PM

Since it's an iBook, its really easy to pop off all the keys and give 'em a good bath and clean the keyboard back thingiee.

Good luck with it!

It seems to be "spilled drink on laptop" week here at MR.. I hope I'm not next!

*strokes iSkin lovingly*
How I love you, keyboard protector...

AH! MAPLE SYRUP within a 10'foot radius of my PB.

I hope the iBook gets better!! :)

stevey500
Jul 21, 2005, 07:32 PM
Hope you ibook will be ok!!

I say, take away his keyboard, if he has a computer... even if its a laptop, and make him buy it back from you.

devilot
Jul 21, 2005, 07:33 PM

I agree. If I ever lost something or broke anything my mom would just say, "Easy come, easy go." *sniff* That was a sure sign that things wouldn't be coming so easily to me for awhile. :o

iBunny
Jul 21, 2005, 07:33 PM
He needs to be Banned from the Server of Life which we all reside on.

Son - Kicked by Admin

wordmunger
Jul 21, 2005, 07:35 PM
Okay, I got the isopropyl and gave the keyboard a good bath. We'll let everything dry overnight and see what happens in the morning. Great tip on drying on the a/c register, iGary!

Also, thanks for all the discipline tips, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

The_Man
Jul 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
Go to the nearest ocean, and let your kid drift away on a makeshift raft until he learned his lesson, and after he learned the lesson, he can spend the rest of his life becoming a pirate.

Seriously though, if he didnt brake it, I would just limit food and drink around the valuables. It was an accident, and accidents happen. So no real harsh punishment.

If he brakes it though, find some way for him to help work part of it off. Working the whole thing off might take forever for a kid, so as long as he spend enough time working for the message to be extra clear.

iGary
Jul 21, 2005, 08:55 PM
Okay, I got the isopropyl and gave the keyboard a good bath. We'll let everything dry overnight and see what happens in the morning. Great tip on drying on the a/c register, iGary!

I lived on a boat for 11 years. I'm great at drying things out. ;)

Good luck! :D

zeeko
Jul 21, 2005, 09:03 PM
how do you take the keyboard off the ibook? can you take the powerbook's off?

katie ta achoo
Jul 21, 2005, 09:19 PM
how do you take the keyboard off the ibook? can you take the powerbook's off?
the iBook has little... things.. that let them come off. Little door handles, up on the function keys.

PowerBook's doesn't come off so easily. I don't think it's user do able.

MacHarne
Jul 22, 2005, 07:18 AM
Wordmunger, please let us know how the clean-up went! I've had to clean up a 12" PB before that was drenched by a 32oz water bottle; some of my friends don't understand basic concepts of locating items on their desks (i.e. computers elevated, food & drink somewhere lower). It wasn't too difficult to get that computer running again; honestly, it was just more of waiting for it to dry out. I'd like to hear if you can get the iBook back into shape.

And if not, this thread should turn into a "How To Bury My Child Alive" thread :p

petej
Jul 22, 2005, 07:52 AM
Fingers crossed that that iBook survives. I did something similar myself with my Sony Vaio. A mug a tea tipped into the keyboard. Took the whole thing as quickly as possible into the bath where it was stripped down and drained then painstakingly cleaned and reassembled. Sadly, it did not recover. The liqid had gotten itself into the case and all over the main circuit board. Thankfully the Hard Disk escaped. Vaio was replaced with Powerbook. Expensive accident - yes. Regrets - no. If the iBook is dead though, don't forget to check out your insurance policies though. I had an accidental damage listed as a risk on my household contents policy so my insurers helped me out a little bit on the replacement. They provided cash to the value of an equivalent vaio minus the policy excess, I topped this up to get the Powerbook. I now scream whenever I see any liquid within a 3ft radius of the PB.

wordmunger
Jul 22, 2005, 09:00 AM
So far, no luck. I'm now working on disassembling the whole thing. This will allow me to get at the HD and recover the data. I'll also clean everything up and put it back together to see if it works.

Curse Apple for using so many different screw sizes. I'm now off to Radio shack to get a slightly smaller screwdriver.

e˛Studios
Jul 22, 2005, 09:17 AM
Make sure you wash it out GOOD. soda is corrosive and if its left on any circuit board or metal that is conductive (like a keyboard receptor thingy) it will destroy it over time. I had soda spilt on an old laptop of mine, i thought i cleaned it out good but as time passed i notice the keyboard wasnt working right. Turned out that the soda had eaten thru some of the connector leads on the keyboard... oh well it was a great excuse for me to get a new Mac lappy :p Good luck and clean it out as well as you can :)

Ed

MacHarne
Jul 22, 2005, 09:19 AM
Best Wishes, wordmunger. There seem to be quite a few threads this week in regards to laptop accidents (drops, spills, washing machine runs).

My nemesis seems to be electrical storms. I've lost more in hi-fi audio equipment than I care to count. After my most recent television was electrocuted, I just stopped buying them. I haven't had a t.v. for about two years now. And the strange thing is that everything was plugged into respectable surge protectors. But at least my insurance coverage gets me out of a hole.

Anyways, I hope the iBook can be resurrected. And if not, perhaps it can be reincarnated as a PowerBook... ?

iDM
Jul 22, 2005, 09:58 AM
I just had to add this story. Me and my bro went in on a 27" Panasonic TV. Anyway it got zapped during a power surge. Kept kicking but acts funny sometimes. It then was placed under a leaking skylight we didn't know leaked. Let it dry starting working again. And then last but not least it appears the cat liked sitting on top of it so much so that it decided to pee down the back of it through the cooling vents. We took it into get it fixed and the tech guy asked us if we had cats because he found urine in the case!!!

wide
Jul 22, 2005, 10:41 AM

You should do what you think is proper to discipline your son. Part of the joy of being a father.

Anyway, you asked for tips, so I think you should make your son drink a 6-pack of soda at every meal, sort of like the cigarette punishment when you should make your kid chainsmoke an entire pack. (just kidding)

wordmunger
Jul 22, 2005, 10:52 AM
Well, I got the hard drive out and I'm now copying all my data onto my wife's computer. Anyone know if system--library keeps any personal files? Should I copy that over too?

The inside of the iBook looks really quite clean, but I think some of the soda may have seeped under the heatsink and into the CPU :eek:

So next it's off with the heatsink and see what we can do down there. I've got parts all over my kitchen -- it will be a miracle if this thing still works when I get it back together.

devilot
Jul 22, 2005, 10:55 AM
So next it's off with the heatsink and see what we can do down there. I've got parts all over my kitchen -- it will be a miracle if this thing still works when I get it back together.
Aww. Well, we will all be hoping for a miracle for you. :( Good luck!

wordmunger
Jul 22, 2005, 12:49 PM
Well, I've done it. Computer is back together, and working!

I'm a little worried that it will conk out later on at some unpredictable time, but for now, it's working. I guess I'll just back up every day and keep my fingers crossed. This is all very surreal after having the computer taken apart and spread across the kitchen. I had several pages of diagrams just so I'd know how to put it back together.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like my son will live to see another day ;)

XIII
Jul 22, 2005, 02:21 PM
My son just spilled an entire can of soda on my iBook keyboard!!!!

Any suggestions for what to do? Should I take it apart? Try and dry off the insides? Wash with something? Any help greatly appreciated. I'm moving on to search Apple Forums now.

Similar story. When I was on the plane from LAX to LHR, I had a cup of that stupid sealed orange juice, with a foil cover, and was pulling the cover off, whilst holding it over the tray on which my iBook was on.. We hit some turbulance, the foil came off, the orange juice hit the trackpad area. I rubbed it all off with a jumper, and carried on working. :p A few days later, having thought I got away with it, the clicker was sticky, on the right hand side. When I hadnt pushed it in a while, it got slightly stuck to the side, from the sticky orange juice, obviously. I took it to the Apple Store, told them I didn't know what had caused it (It works when you use the innocent 14 year old act ;)), and they replaced the entire shell, and trackpad.. For free.

:D

The moral of this story is.. Hhmm.. lie? ;)

California
Feb 4, 2006, 10:49 PM
iSkins on the keyboards. Everyone!