Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
When ordering online with the educational discount, what proof do you need to show when ordering. How can they be sure you actually do qualify?

I'm sure many people would lie if they could.
Im in college, and am wondering how much hassle is it to apply for the discount?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
You just click a few buttons, and go. 2 or so steps. And it is all based on the honor system...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I am pretty sure there are also random audits....So up front, you don't have to prove anything, but it can come back to bite you. Chances are small, but....

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Theman2290 said:
I dont have to cheat.
Yeah, I don't think people always read everything. If you're in college, you have nothing to worry about. Just order, and if they do ask for anything, you can send all sorts of things in as proof. Transcripts, copies of IDs, tuition bills, etc. It's all on Apple's page if you click on it. Pretty painless.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
EvilDoc said:
Thats weird, how much is the discount 9%?
*snort* Keep dreaming, for a lot of items it's nowhere near that. Take the lowest stock mac mini-- $479 edu pricing vs. $499 standard. Woopdeedoo, $20. But obviously, the more pricey the item, the better the discount-- and, some discount is better than none. :)

lust4life

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2005
also, don't forget to check your school's bookstore if they sell any computers. i am from UCSD and my school offers student discounts lower than the education discount offered by apple.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
My little brother is thinking about getting an iBook soon too, (I have been telling him to hold off because of an possible update) and if he orders it and uses the educational discount that I qualify for, will it matter if for some reason he needs to send in proof and sends something under my name?

Thanks

bigben334

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005

with the educational discount, u can only order 1 of every apple computer per year. for example, if ur brother orders the ibook under ur name using ur educational discount, then u cant order an ibook using ur educational discount for one year. but u can order a powerbook or other kind of apple computer. one per year under the edu. discount.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Ok, how will it work if he buys a different computer, will he just buy it using my name, or can he use the name on our parents credit card.

bigben334

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
well........

look, if u and ur bro are buying 2 different apple computers, than it doesnt make a difference, u can both use the educational discount. but in order to get the educational discount, im pretty sure the order should be under ur name, iv never done it before but im guessing the best way to go is put it under ur name, considering u r the student.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
adamjaskie said:
do u realeyez how hard it iz for us 2 read wat u type wen u speel like dis?

No wonder people have trouble using the keyword search! ;) :eek: :D

I just wonder... do people turn off the automatic spell checking in Safari? Some people's text boxes must be a giant sea of squiggly red lines! :eek: :eek:

bigben334

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Sorry......

Sorry, Professor Adamjaskie for providing you any inconvenience. I guess you just don't talk to people online through instant messaging, because everyone talks like that on AIM or whatever other messenger service. I read what I wrote twice after I saw your post and I read it like a champ with no mistakes. I didn't know I was going to be criticized for the way I write in a forum. You are the first to talk about the way I write, and I have been using MacRumors since January. I even indented this paragraph for you, professor.

p.s., im never writing a message in that kind of long writiing again.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Theman2290 said:
My little brother is thinking about getting an iBook soon too, (I have been telling him to hold off because of an possible update) and if he orders it and uses the educational discount that I qualify for, will it matter if for some reason he needs to send in proof and sends something under my name?

Thanks

when you sign on to the education store site you'll see that you have to state that the products you buy are for YOUR OWN educational use.....buying it for another person is technically outside the qualifications

and be aware that you're limited to ONE LAPTOP and not one ibook and one powerbook

tikibangout

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
As long as you don't order tons of things, they'll never know. My brothers friend works at an Apple store and he says they never ask you for ID or anything when getting the discount. Although my brother really does get the discount, so I got nothing to worry bout.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
bigben334 said:
p.s., im never writing a message in that kind of long writiing again.

You made one word longer than the original! How counter-productive!

By the way, being literate does not make you a professor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.