Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
So I am a web designer and host about 15 different sites for clients along with their emails on Host Gator. Seems ok EXCEPT....every time one of my clients uses Mac Mail.APP to check one of their email accounts it takes down ALL of my hosted sites. Error 500. I have spoken to host gator and they said that it is Mail.APP that keeps checking for mails continuously and uses up all connections or something. I can not possibly email all of my clients and tell them not to use Mail.APP to check their email. Has anyone else had this problem?? I do not know what to do =/

..it does not happen with any there email clients.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Thanks Consultant but you obviously do not use Host Gator with Mail.app

Mike-N-Tosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I use hostgator, host many client sites and I use Apple Mail as do several of my clients.

I have not run into this issue at all?

I have heard some say they've had issues on Hostgator when using it with iMap. I only use it on Hostgator as pop mail, however I do use iMap for gmail. I don't have any issues with iMap use with gmail.

Might be worth finding out if they are using iMap and if so, if they need to use it that way and if not switch to pop mail.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Mike. Yes it is because it is imap accounts. I have no control how they have set up their accounts that is the problem. I just create the email account for my clients and how they set them up is up to them. The problem is because Mail.app keeps checking for emails when it is imap and it overloads the server and in about 30 seconds it takes them all down. =/

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
The issue will only occur if the MAIL is using IMAP, not POP3.

To help fix the issue, turn off the IDLE function and set it to check every 5 minutes or longer.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Brisbane that's a good idea and I can do that on my mail.app but not all of my client's. If I send an email to all of them trying to explain that they will all think I am nuts haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.