Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I've been spending weeks trying to figure out the perfect workflow for my gear / editing system. This is my last step. Putting two clips shot from two different cameras into a multi clip sequence to edit. Once i create the multi clip it seems to play for about 5 sec before stopping completely. This worked before and i don't understand why it's not now.

I used to work with HDV footage but after researching and reading i saw that it's best to work with apple pro ress while editing. So i have about 400 gig of footage i just converted all to apple pro ress and now i'm having lagging issues.

Would this be the footage or my machine?

Whats the deal with online or offline . proxy pro ress? not to sure what's next.

Any ideas?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Regular ProRes is significantly larger than HDV (around 6 or 7 times larger) and you are trying to play two streams of it at the same time. Sounds like your storage isn't fast enough. Need a lot more info on your setup though.

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
interesting. You said "storage" so i thought what would happen if i took the same two files and transferred them from my external hard drive to my HD and then ran the same test and it worked. So this would conclude that my external hard drive isn't fast enough to handle this function.

Now what? Should i move the footage to my computers hard drive or purchase a faster external? right now I'm running a 500gb segate portable drive that i picked up from staples. Is there a better known to be faster drive?

Thanks for the help!

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
How is your external storage connected to your Mac ? We need more info on your setup. If the external is going through USB, there is little chance it will work. You'd need at least firewire 800, and that should be OK if the HDD itself is of a fast model… whatever, need more info from you.

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Yes, it's connected via usb. This is how i've always done it before but that was before all my footage was in apples pro ress. I'm guessing since im working with much bigger files i will either have to get a faster external firewire hard drive or put the footage on my mac HD.

I'm using a 2009 MBP with 4 gig of ram running final cut pro 7 and Lion OS
my external harddrive is a seagate 500GB
i have a cannon 60d camera
A Sony Fx-7

My firwire port i have in the computer is a small box looking slot? is that 800 or 400?

Need anymore info?

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
You shouldn't be mixing media in a multiclip. You certainly shouldn't be trying to edit the h.264 files out of your 60d without transcoding to Pro Res.

You should also never edit your media from your system drive.

If the firewire port is just a box and not 6 sided it is 800.

What are your timeline RT settings? safe or unlimited?
What's your playback quality? dynamic, high, medium or low?
What speed is your hard drive? Is it a full 3.5" or a travel size?
How many RPMs is your drive?
Is it a USB1 or USB2?

Why not convert to ProRes Proxy for the offline and then reconnect to the originals afterwards?

There are so many variables.

jbonante

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
WRP

I've converted all the footage to apple pro ress 1440x1080 to match the size of my hdv footage from the sony.

I am currently editing off of an external drive (thinking this is where the problem is, thinking a firewire 800 drive will solve this issue of lag.

Timeling setting is: safe
Playback quality: Dynamic
Harddrive speed: it's a travel size i believe the RPM's is 5400
USB2.0

Not sure how to work the online / offline issue.

My timeline is also set to apple pro ress 1440x1080.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.