Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I sometimes copy family and friend's VHS tapes to DVD (home movies) and usually use iDVD to put the movie together.

Is it still supported on Mountain Lion? Also, are there any better programs to use to add titles and menus as well as themes etc as I know iDVD is very out of date and in some cases very limited.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
God I hope not. I've had nothing but problems with iDVD. I would put in a brand new DVD, straight from the case, and 20 minutes in it says "skipping damaged parts", WTF? Its perfect, flawless, no scratches whatsoever.

Use VLC media player. That thing runs like a champ and plays almost anything. And its free.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
God I hope not. I've had nothing but problems with iDVD. I would put in a brand new DVD, straight from the case, and 20 minutes in it says "skipping damaged parts", WTF? Its perfect, flawless, no scratches whatsoever.

Use VLC media player. That thing runs like a champ and plays almost anything. And its free.

Isn't VLC for playing media? I'm after something that you can use to create a DVD with titles etc.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
I'm running DP4 with the 12A248 update and Toast works fine. It has rudimentary DVD menu capabilities. and will transcode video files to make DVDs.

toastdvd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I suspect the next version of iMovie will just burn directly to DVDs (like Final Cut X does) and that will be the end of iDVD.

So, hey, at least that'll be a solution for you. You can capture to iMovie and then burn the disk.

It will certainly feature less options than iDVD did, but it sounds like you're just trying to get VHS video onto a disk...many different fancy menus probably aren't really important to that task.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I suspect the next version of iMovie will just burn directly to DVDs (like Final Cut X does) and that will be the end of iDVD.

So, hey, at least that'll be a solution for you. You can capture to iMovie and then burn the disk.

It will certainly feature less options than iDVD did, but it sounds like you're just trying to get VHS video onto a disk...many different fancy menus probably aren't really important to that task.

Exactly, only interested in copying VHS tapes to DVD although being able to have fancy menus can be helpful for some people that want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.