Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Hi all,

I ordered the new 13" MacBook Air from the Higher Education (HE) Online Store in the UK. Apple's policy on Mac's ordered via HE store, is that 3 years of hardware warranty in included (as opposed to 1-year when ordering through normal store).

I'm still waiting for my order to arrive (currently in transit), but I received my billing invoice from Apple today. The invoice has the serial number of the Mac, which I used to check the support coverage on Apple's website.

To my horror, the site said I was only covered for 1 year!

I called up Apple to ask why. At first, they said there was no error and it was supposed to be 1-year warranty. :eek:
I insisted that it was supposed to be 3, so he asked me to stay on hold while he checked with his supervisor. He came back to me and said I was right, it's supposed to be 3 years INCLUDED.

They apologised for the inconvenience and assured me that it would be resolved within 2 days.

Just thought I'd give you all the heads up so you can make sure your lovely new Mac's are covered by the correct warranty! :)

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I had no clue you got 3 year Apple Care included...that's impressive!!

Does anyone know if that applies to Australia or Italy as well?

Please let me know via PM.

Thank you

Last edited:

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
It's not a 3 year Apple Care inclusive deal, just a 3 year hardware repair warranty and 1 year of telephone support (which is still extremely sweet, and who relies on telephone support that heavily anyway?).

You can check if you're getting the same deal on your HE purchase by scrolling down to the AppleCare section on the customise page (where you choose RAM, CPU, etc) and looking at the chart when you click "Learn more".

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
If it is like Lenovo, sometimes it takes a week or two for the warranty to show up properly on their website.

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012
I had no clue you got 3 year Apple Care included...that's impressive!!

Does anyone knows if that applies to Australia or Italy as well?

Please let me know via PM.

Thank you

I think it applies to education customers, at least thats the case in Hong Kong.

riley41090

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Apple's policy on Mac's ordered via HE store, is that 3 years of hardware warranty in included (as opposed to 1-year when ordering through normal store).

Heading to my local store to buy a Macbook Air tomorrow, you just saved me £48 that i was going to spend thinking that it was an amazing deal for 3 years of hardware repair coverage. Now i know that its included in the education discount! thanks very much.

i might treat myself to an i7 :)

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
For those of us in the U.S. remember that if you use your American Express to purchase you get an extra 1-year warranty and 90 days of theft or damage protection.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
For those of us in the U.S. remember that if you use your American Express to purchase you get an extra 1-year warranty and 90 days of theft or damage protection.
It works with Visa Signature too.
In terms of 3 years hardware support, I can't see it on Apple UK's website. It states this:
"Every Mac comes with complimentary telephone technical support for 90 days from your Mac purchase and a one-year limited warranty. With the AppleCare Protection Plan, you can extend your service coverage to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning technical support experts as often as you like and get your questions answered. And if you need repair service, we offer convenient service options around the world."

Last edited:

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
It works with Visa Signature too.
In terms of 3 years hardware support, I can't see it on Apple UK's website. It states this:
"Every Mac comes with complimentary telephone technical support for 90 days from your Mac purchase and a one-year limited warranty. With the AppleCare Protection Plan, you can extend your service coverage to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning technical support experts as often as you like and get your questions answered. And if you need repair service, we offer convenient service options around the world."

My understanding is that you can only see 3-years included when on the HE store (if you browse to the apple site from any UK University campus).

Here is the text from Birmingam City Uni's HE Store:

Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (AdditionalTelephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered.

pummra

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for this thread! Ordered yesterday from the Education store and had included the AppleCare not realising I got three year hardware warranty any way. Just phoned up and cancelled it saving me a little bit of cash :)

Thanks again.

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Hi,
I can't find the same information for France. Do you have something you can share with us, a link, a document, anything that can help me to ask for a 3 years warranty in France, please ?

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Hi,
I can't find the same information for France. Do you have something you can share with us, a link, a document, anything that can help me to ask for a 3 years warranty in France, please ?

You could always phone them and ask to be 100% sure.

To check online, go to the Apple website (via a University campus). Make sure you are on the Higher Education store with the discounted prices.
Select a MacBook Air as though you will purchase.

When you get to the screen that lets you configure your MacBook Air, scroll down to the Service & Support section. You should see AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (Additional Telephone Technical Support). Click on the 'Learn More' link (in blue) and it'll give you the details of what's included.

Hope this helps.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Hi all,

I ordered the new 13" MacBook Air from the Higher Education (HE) Online Store in the UK. Apple's policy on Mac's ordered via HE store, is that 3 years of hardware warranty in included (as opposed to 1-year when ordering through normal store).

I'm still waiting for my order to arrive (currently in transit), but I received my billing invoice from Apple today. The invoice has the serial number of the Mac, which I used to check the support coverage on Apple's website.

To my horror, the site said I was only covered for 1 year!

I called up Apple to ask why. At first, they said there was no error and it was supposed to be 1-year warranty. :eek:
I insisted that it was supposed to be 3, so he asked me to stay on hold while he checked with his supervisor. He came back to me and said I was right, it's supposed to be 3 years INCLUDED.

They apologised for the inconvenience and assured me that it would be resolved within 2 days.

Just thought I'd give you all the heads up so you can make sure your lovely new Mac's are covered by the correct warranty! :)

Every time I have bought from the HE store the extended warranty e-mail has come through to me a couple of months after the purchase.

It is obviously the way the system works that the extended warranties don't get processed for some reason until later, it's nothing to panic about but you did do the right thing calling if you are worried.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Every time I have bought from the HE store the extended warranty e-mail has come through to me a couple of months after the purchase.

It is obviously the way the system works that the extended warranties don't get processed for some reason until later, it's nothing to panic about but you did do the right thing calling if you are worried.

This is correct in my experience. I received a few calls from Apple PR yesterday awaiting my new Air and I queried the 3-year HE repair not showing on the warranty checker page (it was 1-year), and I was assured that it is covered for 3 years as everything is linked to the serial, Apple can see it was a HE purchase and that it will likely be updated in a few months.

kronborg

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Copenhagen
Customer Service just clarified that the three year warranty does not apply to students in the Nordic countries. Too bad for us Scandinavians.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm guessing this only works if you order through a University education store, rather than college one.

I ordered through the college education store section, and I only have 1 year warranty. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.