PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces 2012 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2012, 10:40 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apple-announces-2012-summer-filmmaking-camps-for-kids/)

As it has done in some previous years, Apple is again offering free summer camps (http://rsvp2.applersvp.com/us/sections/summer_camps/stores/) for kids at its retail stores, focusing on filmmaking using iMovie. Each session of the camp, which is targeted at children ages 8-12, includes two 90-minute weekday workshops where students will learn about filmmaking and then create their films in iMovie using footage shot themselves. The session concludes with an optional Saturday morning film festival in which participants can screen their films for friends and family.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/apple_camp_2012.jpg

At Apple Camp, kids ages 8-12 learn how to shoot their own footage, create an original song in GarageBand on an iPad, and put it all together in iMovie on a Mac. This free workshop, held at Apple Retail Stores, spans three days and ends with campers debuting their masterpieces at the Apple Camp Film Festival. Space is limited and workshops fill up quickly, so sign up now for a super-creative adventure.The first camp groups begin on July 23, with stores offering as many as 12 separate groups between then and late August to help meet demand. Camps groups are, however, already filling up at some locations, and those interested in participating should move quickly to secure spots at the locations of their choice.

Signups are currently available for programs at Apple retail stores in the United States (http://rsvp2.applersvp.com/us/sections/summer_camps/stores/) and Canada (http://rsvp2.applersvp.com/ca_en/sections/summer_camps/stores/). Apple's European, Chinese, and Japanses sites indicate that schedules and signups should be coming soon for summer camps, while Australia will see its camps arrive in September.

Article Link: Apple Announces 2012 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apple-announces-2012-summer-filmmaking-camps-for-kids/)

Mr-Stabby
Jun 20, 2012, 10:43 AM
I bet some people are surprised they aren't offering the kids lessons in Final Cut Pro X. :D

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
Apples boot camp.

Trauma1
Jun 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
If any parents are interested, these things do fill up quickly...

wickerman1893
Jun 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
GOOD! Indie films are the only films worth watching anymore. This is what we need.

Hakone
Jun 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
Getting the kids hooked while they're young, eh?

JK, i'm jealous. I wish we could've afforded cool tech gadgets when i was a kid...

AR999
Jun 20, 2012, 10:48 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apple-announces-2012-summer-filmmaking-camps-for-kids/)

As it has done in some previous years, Apple is again offering free summer camps (http://rsvp2.applersvp.com/us/sections/summer_camps/stores/) for kids at its retail stores, focusing on filmmaking using iMovie. Each session of the camp, which is targeted at children ages 8-12, includes two 90-minute weekday workshops where students will learn about filmmaking and then create their films in iMovie using footage shot themselves. The session concludes with an optional Saturday morning film festival in which participants can screen their films for friends and family.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/apple_camp_2012.jpg)

The first camp groups begin on July 23, with stores offering as many as 12 separate groups between then and late August to help meet demand. Camps groups are, however, already filling up at some locations, and those interested in participating should move quickly to secure spots at the locations of their choice.

Signups are currently available for programs at Apple retail stores in the United States (http://rsvp2.applersvp.com/us/sections/summer_camps/stores/) and Canada (http://rsvp2.applersvp.com/ca_en/sections/summer_camps/stores/). Apple's European, Chinese, and Japanses sites indicate that schedules and signups should be coming soon for summer camps, while Australia will see its camps arrive in September.

Article Link: Apple Announces 2012 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apple-announces-2012-summer-filmmaking-camps-for-kids/)

The purpose of this is presumably to get the parents to buy a mac for their filmmaker kid.

basesloaded190

JK, i'm jealous. I wish we could've afforded cool tech gadgets when i was a kid...

It's free. They don't need to have iPads or Macs to participate.

Skika
Kawaii desu ne

blumpkin
Jun 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
This may result in more unemployed, self-proclaimed hipster "filmmakers" uploading trash to Vimeo.

Piggie
Jun 20, 2012, 10:51 AM

That's what I thought as soon as I read it. This seemed appropriate :D

http://youtu.be/AGbMG8ZGJC8

basesloaded190
Jun 20, 2012, 10:51 AM
This may result in more unemployed, self-proclaimed hipster "filmmakers" uploading trash to Vimeo.

Yup. :rolleyes: God forbid kids get creative and have a little fun.

blumpkin
Jun 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
yup. :rolleyes: God forbid kids get creative and have a little fun.
Exactly!

charlituna
Jun 20, 2012, 10:53 AM

Worried they might make a better movie than you?

kyjaotkb
Jun 20, 2012, 10:53 AM

bad day :-) ?

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm still at least 12 years away from having kids that could do this, I imagine, but I'm curious anyways... Are there any parents on the forums that send their kids to these? Any thoughts on it... Impacts on the kid, impacts on you and your spouse?

Is it normal for parents to stick around or do they just drop off the kids, take off for 90 minutes, and return to pick them up?

faroZ06
Jun 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
This was cooler before iMovie '08 :(

Jayomat
Jun 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
+ kids can have fun and be creative
+ parents buy apple stuff for their movie-maker children

this is win-win, no matter how much evil you could read into it.

faroZ06
Jun 20, 2012, 11:01 AM

Fine by me as long as it's not on YouTube.

Also, I think NigaHiga and Smosh were unprofessional. I mean, their stuff is uploaded in 240p and obviously made in iMovie (as opposed to pro software). So a few guys will end up having great videos. Maybe they'll know not to export in low quality haven taken this class.

phape
Jun 20, 2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you for posting

faroZ06
Jun 20, 2012, 11:02 AM
GOOD! Indie films are the only films worth watching anymore. This is what we need.

Star Trek isn't indie, so that is proven false. :D

nagromme
Jun 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hey, it beats what I saw Apple doing for little kids at MacWorld Expo years ago... letting them play around with Quake III Arena at full gore level!

tobyw7
Jun 20, 2012, 11:05 AM
Hey, it beats what I saw Apple doing for little kids at MacWorld Expo years ago... letting them play around with Quake III Arena at full gore level!

I may well have been there! :D

RalfTheDog
Jun 20, 2012, 11:13 AM

Death to the MPAA!

fhall1
Jun 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
Whoever made that graphic needs to go back to graphic design school. The "apple camp" inside the movie board should be tilted at the same angle as the board "constellation"

topmounter
Jun 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
I bet some people are surprised they aren't offering the kids lessons in Final Cut Pro X. :D

I thought the only difference between Final Cut Pro X and iMovie was the price... :p

ZZ Bottom
Jun 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
What's the point in teaching them iMovie? Just have them use FCPX. That's just as kid friendly, and Apple can potentially make 300$ off many of them... which was their goal in making FCPX right?

iMacFarlane
Jun 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Kawaii desu ne

iie.

Just kidding, hai, hai!

12dylan34
Jun 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
Whoever made that graphic needs to go back to graphic design school. The "apple camp" inside the movie board should be tilted at the same angle as the board "constellation"

I might agree. I like the rest of it though.

Skika
Jun 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
iie.

Just kidding, hai, hai!

Sugoi nee chan :o

tdream
Jun 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
Clever Apple execs, copying the McDonalds mantra... indoctrinate while young :cool:

Sewing the consumer seeds for the future.

Astroexe
Jun 20, 2012, 11:40 AM

No, the stars need to be more evenly distributed so it doesn't look like the only stars in the sky happen to be the ones making the board, and the Logo needs to be in a different font [a display "scratchy" one for example, on an angle] to complement the standard text. Actually, the entire design isn't arranged in any sort of method and therefore doesn't look very appealing at all.

diamornte
Jun 20, 2012, 11:48 AM

Truth! Just what this country needs, more kids aspiring to the creative arts.

"In 2009 the U.S. graduated 89,140 students in the visual and performing arts, more than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined and more than double the number of visual and performing arts graduates in 1985."

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/11/college-has-been-oversold.html

bjett92
Jun 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
I remember going to these! Back when I went though, they had a camp for each of the iLife products. I went to iWeb and iMovie. Good times! Actually where I first fell in love with Macs.

xionxiox
Jun 20, 2012, 11:57 AM
kawaii desu ne

日本人?

blumpkin
Jun 20, 2012, 12:06 PM
truth! Just what this country needs, more kids aspiring to the creative arts.

"in 2009 the u.s. Graduated 89,140 students in the visual and performing arts, more than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined and more than double the number of visual and performing arts graduates in 1985."

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2011/11/college-has-been-oversold.html

We are becoming a country of baristas.

bwillwall
Jun 20, 2012, 12:12 PM

What if they did it on purpose? Instead just using it as a border.

Getitdone
Jun 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm still at least 12 years away from having kids that could do this, I imagine, but I'm curious anyways... Are there any parents on the forums that send their kids to these? Any thoughts on it... Impacts on the kid, impacts on you and your spouse?

Is it normal for parents to stick around or do they just drop off the kids, take off for 90 minutes, and return to pick them up?

I just signed my niece up for this camp. A parent/guardian must stay there with them during the camp - which I have no problem doing.

I think that kids who have a genuine interest or curiosity get a lot out of the camps. Two of my older nephews did them in the past - one had a blast, the other really wasn't into it as much.

bdkennedy1
Jun 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
I was just going to post this. Thanks! Grrrr Apple.

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 12:52 PM
Truth! Just what this country needs, more kids aspiring to the creative arts.

"In 2009 the U.S. graduated 89,140 students in the visual and performing arts, more than in computer science, math and chemical engineering combined and more than double the number of visual and performing arts graduates in 1985."

I'm surprised in this economy and political mess people are graduating at all, who can afford ~$400k for higher education (not including materials and living expenses)? If you're even lucky to qualify for a student loan at ~29% interest rates.

BoT, it's a great idea, we need to inspire and educate our children more in this nation. It seems we've lost the spark we once had. I remember in the '90's VH1 was working with musicians to support the arts as public funding for creative arts was being cut at a rapid rate. It's good to know it's done a 180 since.

ristlin
Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 PM

Most of that "trash" is better than the actual trash you see on TV.

G5isAlive
Jun 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
what about camp for adult film making? wait.. that didn't come out right... I meant camp for adults that want to make films.

that1guyy
Jun 20, 2012, 01:08 PM
They need to offer something like this for adults using FCPX. I'd be down.

powers74
Jun 20, 2012, 01:12 PM

As a graphic designer I noticed that, but then realized what the concept was; the stars in the sky just happen to be in the shape of a movie board and the dots are simply connected. So it's a "coincidence", not an actual movie board, hence the reason for the Apple logo and type being horizontal... That and it's not very "Apple" to have tilted type....

Er... or were you being sarcastic?

ristlin
Jun 20, 2012, 01:20 PM
We are becoming a country of baristas.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Gwilym_Davies.jpg/220px-Gwilym_Davies.jpg

Xscapes
Jun 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
Will they check the kids ID or something? I want to bring my 7 year old nephew .

ThunderSkunk
Jun 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
I this camp idea is a nice start, but I think Apple needs to leverage this into being at the forefront of decentralized film production & distribution.

Something like a content creation portal where users can buy and sell their wares and services and productions, from investment capital to props & actors to animation, effects, editors & post mixing, to allow people to get their films made and distribute them to audiences via iTunes.

nohaver
Jun 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
Man...What I would of done to go to one of these as a kid. Freaking awesome!

foodog
Jun 20, 2012, 03:16 PM
My youngest son did this a few years ago and had a great time.

----------

I this camp idea is a nice start, but I think Apple needs to leverage this into being at the forefront of decentralized film production & distribution.

Something like a content creation portal where users can buy and sell their wares and services and productions, from investment capital to props & actors to animation, effects, editors & post mixing, to allow people to get their films made and distribute them to audiences via iTunes.

Its for 8 to 12 year olds

Xscapes
Jun 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
My youngest son did this a few years ago and had a great time.

----------

Can you tell me the whole process of it, I'm really interested in bringing my nephew.

Sackvillenb
Jun 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
Interesting on 2 levels... great service that Apple is providing youth and the community, first of all. Second, it's a smart long term marketing move... because those kids will remember all the cool things they could do with Apple products at the Apple store... and one day they'll have money to spend... and I suppose their parents might be impressed too! :)

foodog
Jun 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
Can you tell me the whole process of it, I'm really interested in bringing my nephew.

You have to stay with them to help. They film whatever they want my kids group filled a movie about bears. They were the bears. The staff helps them create / edit a movie with iMovie add music and whatnot. At the end they get a DVD of the movie.

Mine like the freedom of filming and creating the movie. He is 13 now and still laughs when he watches it.

----------

Interesting on 2 levels... great service that Apple is providing youth and the community, first of all. Second, it's a smart long term marketing move... because those kids will remember all the cool things they could do with Apple products at the Apple store... and one day they'll have money to spend... and I suppose their parents might be impressed too! :)

I agree..... 1/2 the parents didn't own Apple computers in my sons camp. A couple said they were coming back to buy one after it was over.

dvoros
Jun 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
I wish they ran a summer camp like this for adults. I would love to learn the basics of filmmaking and creating sound tracks.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 20, 2012, 04:04 PM

I didn't say it wasn't. I said they ought to develop and expand their support of DIY filmmaking further.

charlituna
Jun 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
?

according to the website that is not allowed. Liability is my guess

----------

what about camp for adult film making? wait.. that didn't come out right... I meant camp for adults that want to make films.

They do workshops all the time for the adults

ComputerTeacher
Jun 20, 2012, 06:03 PM

I signed up both of my kids. They've been to field trips to the Apple store where they have made movies with iMovie. They love it. I will stick around for the hour and a half; I teach video editing to high school students using Final Cut, so I don't really know iMovie; maybe I'll learn a few tips.

Apple fanboy
Jun 20, 2012, 06:13 PM
I wish they did this in the UK. My 10 year old has aspergers and would love to do something like this. She made a film on her iPod and I got our IT guy at work to burn it to a disk (as I'm a pc man and had no clue about formats etc) he even took a still from the film and printed it on the disk with a title. She was so proud of herself that day.
Good on you apple. Once I get my iMac I will defiantly do some of there workshops.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
I signed up both of my kids. They've been to field trips to the Apple store where they have made movies with iMovie. They love it. I will stick around for the hour and a half; I teach video editing to high school students using Final Cut, so I don't really know iMovie; maybe I'll learn a few tips.

Interesting. I learned Final Cut in high school... the class didn't help me a bit in college, but some of the things I learned in that class (like how to frame shots) come up in everyday life... not to mention it was easily the most fun class I had... ever? Yeah, my most fun college class so far was probably Algorithm's and Data Structures, and making movies is more fun than learning C++. So my film production class was the most fun one I ever had.

live4mark
Jun 20, 2012, 06:58 PM

As another noted, parents do have to remain in the store during the camp. I have done this with my children in the past (in the NYC Upper West Side store) and the kids had an absolute BLAST making very cool films on the MacBooks that the store provided. The teachers were very cool and extremely helpful and kid-friendly. Moreover, my kids really learned some cool things about making and editing movies, all on a Mac and all by themselves. The bonus is that the Apple instructors gave my kids a burned disc of their creation so that they could enjoy their work at home, again and again!

Obviously, this is genius marketing by Apple, but it also serves its purpose to educate children about using their imaginations and creating very cool forms of art ... with a Mac, of course!

I highly recommend this camp to everyone with children: it's a really fun event that the kids - and parents - thoroughly enjoy.

Stallion.
Jun 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Kawaii desu ne

I don't understand :mad:

turtlez
Jun 20, 2012, 09:17 PM
and people still hate on apple. I would never see Google, Samsung or MS do anything like this. Go figure. People just listen to anything that is shoved down their throats while they are angry or confused then just go deeper into the hate.

Good on Apple. Free workshops helping people, making education easier, saving the environment. People who hate on Apple should go live on Mars.

charlituna
Jun 20, 2012, 11:43 PM

I disagree. Apple needs to keep doing what they are doing which is staying out of production, cell service, Internet service etc.

----------

, but it also serves its purpose to educate children about using their imaginations and creating very cool forms of art ... with a Mac, of course!

Given how some schools are cutting art and music classes, this could be all some kids get. Rather sad.

Piggie
Jun 21, 2012, 07:25 AM
and people still hate on apple. I would never see Google, Samsung or MS do anything like this. Go figure. People just listen to anything that is shoved down their throats while they are angry or confused then just go deeper into the hate.

Good on Apple. Free workshops helping people, making education easier, saving the environment. People who hate on Apple should go live on Mars.

Are you really this innocent & have no idea the reasons behind this do you?

turtlez
Jun 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
Are you really this innocent & have no idea the reasons behind this do you?

sure it is a bit of marketing but hey it's helping the human race go further. Did you not think about that either?

truelies
Jun 21, 2012, 08:41 AM
They don't have any prize for kids?

Giuly
Jun 21, 2012, 11:15 AM
In America, they have summer camps for everything: Rich kids, basketball camp, magic camp, tennis camp, movie director camp, ... :rolleyes: (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDq2riC0xIk)

charlituna
Jun 22, 2012, 01:34 PM
They don't have any prize for kids?

It's not about winning a prize, which means that some kids end up being labeled losers. It's about teaching.

Hell I taught my step brothers how to use iMovie a couple of years ago and they used it to create a video of their science fair project. Way cooler than the posters most kids create. They able to show everything from the set up to a faux time lapse of the progress. They didn't win the fair but they did get extra credit for the effort. well that and they taught their whole science class how to use iMovie. The teacher could have taken them to an Apple Store (where they do 'field trips') but there wasn't a store in the area at the time.

----------

In America, they have summer camps for everything: Rich kids, basketball camp, tennis camp, movie director camp, ... :rolleyes:

1. If it keeps them out of trouble and they learn something that might be useful one day why not

2. this is hardly movie director camp. More like a very cruel editing brush over. Nothing about framing, 'come in later, leave early' etc that directors learn. The end result is likely a lot of playing with your barbie dolls and talking in silly voices or making a movie of your brothers having a race down the street etc

CampCounselor
Jun 27, 2012, 08:07 PM
When I looked at the camps around here at FayettevilleSummerCamps.com (http://www.FayettevilleSummerCamps.com/), I didn't see any free computer class for kids, so Apple is really providing a valuable service. I wish there was an Apple store around here though.

FilmSkillet
Jul 3, 2012, 03:16 PM
I went to an Apple summer camp when I was 10, which was 31 years ago. They had us programming in basic on Apple II machines. I loved it, and can honestly say it changed my life. My parents weren't so happy to find I had learned to password protect all of our floppies, which actually were floppy in those days. A funny thing about those floppies was that if you used a hole punch to take a notch out in just the right place, you could instantly double their capacity for free.

My daughter has had her own Mac since she was two, simply because my wife and I wanted our machines back! When I had my Maya instructor over to the house for dinner, he noticed my daughter quite adeptly navigating all over her computer, keyboard shortcuts and all. He asked, "Is it normal for a two year old to be able to do that?"

Starting them out young gives them a great advantage!

Also, Vimeo isn't the only place to see great independent film. Take a look at http://www.filmskillet.com.

smoked
Aug 1, 2012, 08:08 PM
My son went with his grandfather to the Apple summer camp today. Horrible experience, and will not go back for the second day. Started half hour late (but ended on time, of course,) nobody knew what they were doing, no amenities, bathrooms, water, seating for the adults, etc. Kids all had a terrible time and many left early. Apparently all they did was hand them iPads and told them to use Garage Band to make a song. :mad:

nia820
Aug 3, 2012, 04:30 AM
I guess kids today find going to a camp where they sit in front of a screen fun. They are probably bragging to their friends about it.

I remember in the 90's when space camp was all the rage. I had friends in elementary who lied about going to space camp just to seem cool.lol.