PDA

View Full Version : Retina MacBook Pro Can Run Three External Displays Simultaneously

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/retina-macbook-pro-can-run-three-external-displays-simultaneously/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage24.png

Other World Computing posted this picture (http://blog.macsales.com/14241-macbook-pro-15-with-retina-display-can-run-3-external-displays) on their blog showing a MacBook Pro with Retina Display hooked up to a pair of iMacs serving as Thunderbolt displays and a third monitor via HDMI. This setup powers four screens with a total of 15,680,000 pixels.

The writer of the post, OWC Mike, seemed impressed with the performance of the MacBook Pro:
Moving images and media didn't create any lag and we were able to play video on all four displays simultaneously.Apple officially supports (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#dispnum) hooking three monitors into the Retina MacBook Pro, noting in the Thunderbolt ports FAQ in its Support Knowledge Base:
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) can support an HDMI-compatible device on its HDMI port while also using two Thunderbolt displays.This makes the Retina MacBook Pro the first Mac -- other than a tower-based workstation like the Mac Pro -- to natively power four displays simultaneously.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Can Run Three External Displays Simultaneously (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/retina-macbook-pro-can-run-three-external-displays-simultaneously/)

basesloaded190
Jun 20, 2012, 12:14 PM
That's incredible. So much power in such a thin computer.

Schmitty11
Jun 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
Duh.

bungiefan89
Jun 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
I thought Thunderbolt was supposed to be powerful enough to support up to 10 monitors...

d4rkc4sm
who would want to?

Adidas Addict
It's the future right now :D

Tal Ormanda
Jun 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
That's nice...but you're leaving out how hot it gets after doing so?

KnightWRX
Display output bandwidth was the last great obstacle to pushing pixels. VRAM amounts and GPU power to push out frame buffers have been sufficient for years. Thunderbolt x 2 + HDMI gives plenty of output bandwidth for displays. DP 1.2 would be even better, especially 2 seperate ports.

ToomeyND
Adding three extra displays, including two ACDs, increased the number of pixels powered by the rMBP by 6%. ;)

Xian Zhu Xuande
Jun 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
I thought Thunderbolt was supposed to be powerful enough to support up to 10 monitors...
Thunderbolt can do things that the actual computer may not be able to do. In the case of monitors, while Thunderbolt can support 10 monitors, the hardware capabilities of a given computer may not be able to.

840quadra
Jun 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Sold.

I want to push to get a couple of these to kill some dead Dells in our NOC at work :) .

AQUADock
Wow that is an amazing amount of pixels for a computer so thin and light.

bigcat318
I can do this with my Dell laptop at work as well. Granted when I tested it they monitors were smaller (27, 19, 19). But I streamed 4 different March madness games at once.

Peace
Jun 20, 2012, 12:20 PM

Thunderbolt doesn't generate any power

Monitors have their own power supply.

SprodeBoy
Hell. Yeah. That's it i'm getting one. My video editing station will bring the boys to the yard.

bwillwall
Thats awesome :D but those are iMac's not thunderbolt displays? How did they do that?

kniemann
Unfortunately my wallet can't power four displays.

ryanflanders256
Jun 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Could a traditional 15" MacBook pro also do this with daisy-chained thunderbolt monitors?

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Very interesting... but I prefer to keep all my things together on a single, large screen.

Is it possible to shut off the main display (even close the lid?) and rely on an external screen, keyboard, and trackpad, instead?

Thus I'm using all the internal components of the rMBP, but using entirely external I/O?

(The idea is I'd like to replace my iMac and MBA setup... the rMBP replaces my MBA, and I just buy a new screen to replace the iMac's.)

Nostromo
Jun 20, 2012, 12:22 PM
This shows the huge potential of the retina MBP. The HDMI input was just a great idea! No more adapters!

(Too bad you can't just fold up the three displays and put it into your pocket just like the retina MBP ;) )

And no delay on simultaneous video playback on all monitors - very good!

basesloaded190
Jun 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Thats awesome :D but those are iMac's not thunderbolt displays? How did they do that?

They still have thunderbolt ports.

h1r0ll3r
drool........

jonnysods
So that's the solution to my current problem?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390995

Sigh.

mgsarch
Jun 20, 2012, 12:24 PM
Very interesting... but I prefer to keep all my things together on a single, large screen.

Is it possible to shut off the main display (even close the lid?) and rely on an external screen, keyboard, and trackpad, instead?

Thus I'm using all the internal components of the rMBP, but using entirely external I/O?

Does "entirely external I/O" imply booting from external source too? I assume you just mean using the MBP in a docked fashion. This was always a fine scenarior with MacBook Pros (maybe all macbooks). Haven't seen anything to suggest it's changed.

There have even been third party docks in the past.

Epic Xbox Revie
The new Airs finally can run Two external displays simultaneously as well!!

bwillwall
They still have thunderbolt ports.

Thunderbolt out ports, you can't just plug one mac into another and use it as a monitor, they must have some kind of special software or something correct?

yg17

Thunderbolt has the bandwidth to support 10 monitors, but you still need a graphics card powerful enough to support all of those monitors.

mjtomlin
Jun 20, 2012, 12:27 PM

iMacs support video in as well as out... So you can hook up an external device and use the iMac display. I believe any iMac with a Mini DisplayPort (or now Thunderbolt Port) has this capability.

bwillwall
Jun 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
iMacs support video in as well as out... So you can hook up an external device and use the iMac display. I believe any iMac with a Mini DisplayPort (or now Thunderbolt Port) has this capability.

Oh :0 thats amazing how did I not know that XD

HalfBlazed
Jun 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
Couldn't the MacBook Pro theoretically run even more than 3 displays if they were daisy chained via Thunderbolt.

Exhale
Jun 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thunderbolt has the bandwidth to support 10 monitors, but you still need a graphics card powerful enough to support all of those monitors.
Depends on the resolution. It can theoretically only drive three 2560x panels at 60hz & 8 bit colour channels for example, and graphics cards can handle more than that.

More displays over a thunderbolt wire requires lower resolution, reduced update rates, or reduced bitrates.

Rocketman
Jun 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
What is the lowest price point MacBook Pro that can do that or anything similar? I understand HD4000 graphics supports three (or 4) monitors, not sure how many can be video. Anyone have experience or insight what the limits are for say the 13" MBP with H4000 graphics or the 15" with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M?

I see standalone USB3 boxes also support 3+ DVI displays as well.

Rocketman

mgmusicman94
I need to get my hands on one of these MacBooks...

Yamcha
This isn't something new on PC's, it's been around since 2009 when the first Eyefinity compatible graphics cards were released.. Now you can hook up to 12 displays on a single machine..

But It's nice to finally see it on a Mac.. I'd really wish Apple would start adopting these type of technologies earlier, we still don't have the ability for scaling & getting better performance when using multiple graphics cards..

I'd love to see Crossfire or SLI Technology come to the Mac..

albertsw
Jun 20, 2012, 12:31 PM

They used target display mode.

overanalyzer
Jun 20, 2012, 12:31 PM

(The idea is I'd like to replace my iMac and MBA setup... the rMBP replaces my MBA, and I just buy a new screen to replace the iMac's.)

Yes, I'm doing that right now ;)

I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display hooked up to the laptop, which is sitting on a Laptuk Pro stand underneath the monitor. I also have a wireless Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad hooked up. Definitely recommend this setup as an iMac and laptop replacement (that's what I did - replaced both my old MBP and iMac with this display and laptop).

iVoid
Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
Duh.

While it does make sense that you should be able to do it and I assumed it could after the keynote, Apple's product specs says:
"Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors"

So until now, we had to assume that the graphics card couldn't handle more than 3 displays.

bwillwall: Thats awesome but those are iMac's not thunderbolt displays? How did they do that?

iMacs have a 'target display mode' these days. You can boot them up so they act like monitors for displaying from a external computer. Say when your iMac becomes too slow or the HD fails, you can use it as a monitor for another system. :)

bungiefan8:
Xian Zhu Xuande:
Thunderbolt can do things that the actual computer may not be able to do. In the case of monitors, while Thunderbolt can support 10 monitors, the hardware capabilities of a given computer may not be able to.

While the built in video card may only be able to drive 4 monitors (a pretty nifty trick for a single video card IMHO), it may not be able to handle that many external displays.

BUT you could conceivably build a monitor with a built in video card that connects to the PCI-bus via Thunderbolt to drive as many monitors as Thunderbolt devices you can hook up (10x2 maybe since there are 2 TB ports). Probably need extra drivers like the USB video adapters need though to make that work.

Nostromo:
This shows the huge potential of the retina MBP. The HDMI input was just a great idea! No more adapters!

Personally, I'd had rather seen that space used for an extra USB port myself. But that's jsut a personal choice.

miniroll32
Jun 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
who would want to?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22298947.jpg

Sjhonny
Jun 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Couldn't the MacBook Pro theoretically run even more than 3 displays if they were daisy chained via Thunderbolt.

No, "only" upto 4 quadfullhd displays (in total, so including the internal)

Battlefield Fan
Jun 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
With TB you're supposed to be able to daisy chain displays. Doesn't that mean you could have 6 displays?

1 MBPR Display
2 Thunderbolt Displays on TB port 1
2 Thunderbolt Displays on TB port 2
1 HDMI Monitor

hayesk
Jun 20, 2012, 12:43 PM
I can do this with my Dell laptop at work as well. Granted when I tested it they monitors were smaller (27, 19, 19). But I streamed 4 different March madness games at once.

Which model?

user20120620
Jun 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
I couldn't find anyone in this thread who addresses the important question: when an application goes "full screen" does it take up all four screens or only one of the screens? I confess, I want to play WoW on a multi-screen.

netkas
Jun 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
In this config the mbp will have to run gt650m card, as hd4000 supports only 3 displays. So it will eat power much faster.

And so far, kepler videocards supports up to 4 displays

euvnairb
Jun 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
Sorry for the noob question but are these displays just duplicates of the original macbook laptop display or are they an expansion of the desktop?...i.e. you can view different things on different monitors like a tradition dual screen PC.

Sjhonny
Jun 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
What is the lowest price point MacBook Pro that can do that or anything similar? I understand HD4000 graphics supports three (or 4) monitors, not sure how many can be video. Anyone have experience or insight what the limits are for say the 13" MBP with H4000 graphics or the 15" with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M?

I see standalone USB3 boxes also support 3+ DVI displays as well.

Rocketman

The HD 4000 supports 16 MP in total

jephrey
Jun 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
This isn't something new on PC's, it's been around since 2009 when the first Eyefinity compatible graphics cards were released.. Now you can hook up to 12 displays on a single machine..

But It's nice to finally see it on a Mac.. I'd really wish Apple would start adopting these type of technologies earlier, we still don't have the ability for scaling & getting better performance when using multiple graphics cards..

12 displays on a PC laptop in 2009... Really?
Even if you're right, it's a 3rd party requirement to buy a special graphics card. So even though it was available as an add-on, it's not like the PC manufacturers were ahead of Apple. So "It's nice to finally see it on a Mac" and the ensuing comments don't really make sense. Apple is [one of if not] the first to adopt these technologies into their out of the box computer.

It's simply nice to know that one laptop has the ability to operate so many pixels out of the box.

Sjhonny
Jun 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
With TB you're supposed to be able to daisy chain displays. Doesn't that mean you could have 6 displays?

1 MBPR Display
2 Thunderbolt Displays on TB port 1
2 Thunderbolt Displays on TB port 2
1 HDMI Monitor

The GPU doesn't support it.

theluggage
Jun 20, 2012, 12:47 PM

4 displays is nothing new on Macs, either (you can slap an extra graphics card in the Mac Pro) However, 4 digital displays on a laptop is going some. Some PC laptops will give you the internal screen, one HDMI output and a VGA port, and that's about it.

Westyfield2
Jun 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
Good old OWC!

LeGacY X
Jun 20, 2012, 12:48 PM
This is awesome, I don't know what I would do with so much screen real estate!

cube
Jun 20, 2012, 12:49 PM

Thunderbolt is a step backwards. It does not support DisplayPort 1.2

Reason077
Jun 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
who would want to?

Lots of people need to run 3 external displays. e.g.: financial analysts, CAD engineers, and any truly serious web developer. And, in fact, my grandma was just asking about this the other day!

rmwebs
Jun 20, 2012, 12:50 PM
This is probably why Apple feel the Mac Pro didn't need a major revamp. Previously if you wanted more than 2 displays, you had to go with a Mac Pro, then buy extra graphics cards. Having a third monitor is HUGELY productive for programmers, and a lot of them (myself included) will now look at the RetinaBook as a good replacement for ageing Pro towers.

I myself will be buying one in a couple of months to replace both a Mac Pro (2009 model, bought in 2010) and a (2011) MacBook Air.

izibo
Jun 20, 2012, 12:50 PM
Adding three extra displays, including two ACDs, increased the number of pixels powered by the rMBP by 6%. ;)

Or 202%.

Retina Display 2880*1800 = 5,184,000 pixels
iMac as Display 2560*1600 = 4,096,000 pixels
HDMI Display 1920*1200 = 2,304,000 pixels

This totals to 15,680,000 pixels. In other words, the rMBP is pushing out 302% compared to it's native resolution or an extra 202% more pixels on top of the retina display. All kidding aside, that is pretty damn impressive.

Simplicated
Jun 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
This is probably why Apple feel the Mac Pro didn't need a major revamp. Previously if you wanted more than 2 displays, you had to go with a Mac Pro, then buy extra graphics cards. Having a third monitor is HUGELY productive for programmers, and a lot of them (myself included) will now look at the RetinaBook as a good replacement for ageing Pro towers.

I myself will be buying one in a couple of months to replace both a Mac Pro (2009 model, bought in 2010) and a (2011) MacBook Air.

Not when you think about the video editors who rely on the PCI-E interface and the extra three internal storage spaces.

RoboCop001
Jun 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
Yes plz

----------

Not when you think about the video editors who rely on the PCI-E interface and the extra three internal storage spaces.

In time, there will be Thunderbolt solutions for this.

gotluck
Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
Wow just unbelievable power and performance from these new MacBook Pros. No Windows laptop has such incredible capabilities. These amazing new MacBooks truly are worthy of the Pro name.

seriously? lol spec - wise (read : performance) there are certainly superior windows laptops, aside from the screen itself. Apple's advantage has always been battery life, not raw power.

My only wish from apple is higher end video cards. Great you can run 4 screens, what about 3d applications?

jclardy
Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
Wow that is crazy. Please make a 13" version Apple!

13" Retina Display (2560x1600, with scaling modes like the new MBP)
Discrete graphics chip (something lesser than the 15" to save power)
6 hours battery life (Due to smaller battery size from the smaller casing)

Starting at $1499.

Either that, or stick an IPS panel in the MBA's.

JasonR
Jun 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
Lots of people need to run 3 external displays. e.g.: financial analysts, CAD engineers, and any truly serious web developer. And, in fact, my grandma was just asking about this the other day!

Can you define a "truly serious web developer" ?

I believe there are many "serious web developers" developing on 13" notebook screens just fine.

I run two displays at work, but any more and it would be a little overwhelming. Then again I'm not watching the stock market. I also know plenty of companies running websites etc. without the need for three monitors.

Rocketman
Jun 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
It would be handy to see a simplified how-to for folks with each grade of MacBook.

Ie, MacBook Air or 13" MBP you can hook 3 HD displays using XYZ wires. I would simply like to have one display be oriented vertically for web browsing. I for one would use the extra screen real estate for financial research or CAD stuff.

Being able to do it on a Book brings back the dock or go meme.

Rocketman

bilbot
Jun 20, 2012, 01:00 PM
I have a 23 inch cinema display with converter to run off my MB pro 17 inch. Will I be able to drive this display from a new MBPro?

Jobsian
Jun 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
Monitors have their own power supply.
True but my post stands, it merely carries the power.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 20, 2012, 01:02 PM
You mean now I can stare at THREE blank linen screens while in full screen mode! :rolleyes:

telecomm
Jun 20, 2012, 01:03 PM
I couldn't find anyone in this thread who addresses the important question: when an application goes "full screen" does it take up all four screens or only one of the screens? I confess, I want to play WoW on a multi-screen.

Shh...

People who ask that question might end up joining the (30 pages of) unhappy users here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3196329?start=0&tstart=0)...
:(

FX120
Jun 20, 2012, 01:03 PM
Or 202%.

Retina Display 2880*1800 = 5,184,000 pixels
HDMI Display 1920*1200 = 2,304,000 pixels

This totals to 15,680,000 pixels. In other words, the rMBP is pushing out 302% compared to it's native resolution or an extra 202% more pixels on top of the retina display. All kidding aside, that is pretty damn impressive.

Math fail... :rolleyes:

bungiefan89
Jun 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
Thunderbolt is a step backwards. It does not support DisplayPort 1.2Agreed. I'm still ticked off that I can't use my 2011 iMac as a screen for my Xbox... or even my Macbook.
Not to mention the severe lack of peripherals supporting the port and the outrageous expense of the cord itself... *grumble, grumble*

pvlcld
Jun 20, 2012, 01:04 PM

I have a new air on order. Could anyone please explain how to do this. The lady at the apple store said that it could not be done, but she did not seem very knowledgeable on a number of items. I am fairly new to Macs and I appreciate anyone's advice.

Dronac
Jun 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
Between this kind of capability and being able to rig the MBPr into native resolution, I think my mind is made up. While Windows machines are usually more powerful for the money, the thin form factor and OS are what wins me over. The MBPr is better specced then my full tower gaming PC (2.5 Ghz i7, 4GB RAM, Radion 5770), and that PC already runs all my games at max details.

halo4
Jun 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
That's incredible. So much power in such a thin computer.

lol. You can get a Windows 7 laptop for half the damn price of that $2800 Macbook, and yet the Windows 7 one will still destroy the Mac in power. What a joke with Apple's pricing. But the sheep will be sure to eat it up as always...

SvK
Jun 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
who would want to?

Film Composer, Filmmakers.

When I run Logic Pro (music software) 1 monitor runs the movie I'm scoring. Another monitor runs the mixer window and a third monitor runs the arrangement window.

I would LOVE a 4th monitor to just view open plug-ins.

that's how the PRO / content community rolls ;-)

robvas
Jun 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
They should have put up a video - with movies on each screen!

hollyhillbilly
Jun 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
So, I presume that it will be able to support
One TB display and
One 4K monitor then?

baryon
Jun 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
Impressive! Though do you have to use both Thunderbolt ports, or could you not simply use one and daisy-chain the second Thunderbolt display off of the first one?

izibo
Jun 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
Math fail... :rolleyes:

Really smartguy?

The retina display powers 5,184,000 pixels. The max it can put out is 15,680,000 pixels. Or, it can put out an additional 10,496,000 pixels beyond the retina display.

10,496,000 / 5,184,000 = 202%. It can put out 202% more pixels. Just like I said.

atbyrd
Jun 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/retina-macbook-pro-can-run-three-external-displays-simultaneously/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage24.png)

Other World Computing posted this picture (http://blog.macsales.com/14241-macbook-pro-15-with-retina-display-can-run-3-external-displays) on their blog showing a MacBook Pro with Retina Display hooked up to a pair of iMacs serving as Thunderbolt displays and a third monitor via HDMI. This setup powers four screens with a total of 15,680,000 pixels.

The writer of the post, OWC Mike, seemed impressed with the performance of the MacBook Pro:
Apple officially supports (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#dispnum) hooking three monitors into the Retina MacBook Pro, noting in the Thunderbolt ports FAQ in its Support Knowledge Base:
This makes the Retina MacBook Pro the first Mac -- other than a tower-based workstation like the Mac Pro -- to natively power four displays simultaneously.

Article Link: Retina MacBook Pro Can Run Three External Displays Simultaneously (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/retina-macbook-pro-can-run-three-external-displays-simultaneously/)

But can it disable them without physically disconnecting them :confused:

adamberti
Jun 20, 2012, 01:17 PM

Are you sure about that? I wish it was true, but apple says:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colours.

I think that means one display still.

Epic Xbox Revie
Jun 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have a new air on order. Could anyone please explain how to do this. The lady at the apple store said that it could not be done, but she did not seem very knowledgeable on a number of items. I am fairly new to Macs and I appreciate anyone's advice.

Step 1 get two thunderbolt displays.
Step 2 plug the first one into your air using the thunderbolt port and magsafe port.
Step 3 plug the second display into the first display using just the thunderbolt port.

That should just about do it.

Are you sure about that? I wish it was true, but apple says:

I think that means one display still.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US#dispnum

According to that page is says the mid 2012 airs can do two.

golf1410
Jun 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
When apple is going to have retina display?

jeffedsell
Jun 20, 2012, 01:20 PM
Well, now I know which computer I'm buying for my supervillain lair.

iRobby
Jun 20, 2012, 01:20 PM
Yes, I'm doing that right now ;)

I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display hooked up to the laptop, which is sitting on a Laptuk Pro stand underneath the monitor. I also have a wireless Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad hooked up. Definitely recommend this setup as an iMac and laptop replacement (that's what I did - replaced both my old MBP and iMac with this display and laptop).

Which MBPR configuration you have. I'm replacing my dell desktop that is 7 years old and eventually would like to do exactly you are. At home function like a desktop with Thunderbolt Display and keyboard and trackpad yet take the laptop wherever I go. Desktop and laptop in 1.

hardwickj
Jun 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
The limiting factor isn't the thunderbolt interface, it's the graphics card driving the displays. Even 2D rendering is hard when you are driving 18 gazillion pixels...

Keebler
Jun 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
lol. You can get a Windows 7 laptop for half the damn price of that $2800 Macbook, and yet the Windows 7 one will still destroy the Mac in power. What a joke with Apple's pricing. But the sheep will be sure to eat it up as always...

you might be right initially, but there's one massive flaw in your statement:

it's windows!!!!

I have Windows installed on 1 of my Macs. Had to use it the other day. New update for a program. No problem. Wasn't a smooth download operation...had to click here and there (not Microsoft's issue, but different than how most Mac software vendors do it). Oh and that was after I had to give Windows permission a few times.

Oh and then I had to re- friggin' - boot. geezus! I rarely have to reboot my Macs for any software updates. It happens, but rare. Seems Windows requires a reboot b/c its software isn't as intelligent to recognize the changes. Heck, most Mac software just requires you close and re-launch the program.

I lost 5 minutes b/c of the rebooting / relaunching crap. Sure, it was only 5 minutes, but add that up over a week / month / year and I'll take the price difference between a Windows laptop and a Mbp b/c that is just one task oriented example of time saved. No doubt there are others. Time is money to me and I'll spend more up front to know I'm working efficiently full on.

That's not kool aid drinking or sheep eating either - a true to life, plain example of unnecessary work stoppages b/c of inferior software. Seriously, I have no patience for that bs....it's just not needed. I don't know how people put up with it.

I'm with you on the hardware being cheaper and if I didn't need my machines to work without any possible issues, I would build a Hackintosh, but if 1 of my Macs breaks down, I need it fixed warranty wise right away without any delays or to call support. No support on the Hackintosh world :)

Cheers,
Keebler

Daalseth
Jun 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
who would want to?
Me! Me! Ohh Ohh Me...

adamberti
Jun 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Step 2 plug the first one into your air using the thunderbolt port and magsafe port.
Step 3 plug the second display into the first display using just the thunderbolt port.

Cool, strange that the pages say different things. If anyone is looking, The answer is under question number 11.... [edit: Oops, I see your link goes directly to that answer, but it didn't for me for some strange reason]

MacRumorUser
Jun 20, 2012, 01:26 PM

Unfortunetly my wallet can't power a retina macbook pro ;):p:D

mixel
Jun 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
Didn't you notice the "in such a thin computer" part?

And the display? There's nothing even remotely like the new MBP running windows 7 right now.

TSE
Jun 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
That's pretty neat. HDMI was definitely a feature that the MacBook Pro was missing for a long time.

BobCollins
Jun 20, 2012, 01:27 PM

Best quote of the day!

needfx
Jun 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
I did ask this on the first rMBR article, however, sucks that my mid 11 MBA can handle just one tb display, regardless of the fact that two tb displays would mean spending a third world country's annual budget

2crazy
Jun 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
This is really cool! I wish I had some spare monitors to try it out on!

bigcat318
Jun 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
Which model?

It is a Precision M4600. It is used for drafting and 3D modeling.

It's not a bad machine though it does have quirks. Usually related to the video driver.

ellsworth
Jun 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Could a traditional 15" MacBook pro also do this with daisy-chained thunderbolt monitors?

I'm curious to hear an Answer to this as well.

Also, from APPLE's website:

"Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors"

I'm sure Apple was aware of the Retina MBP supporting 3 displays but probably doesn't want to be responsible for any melt-downs :D

ericinboston
Jun 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
I did not know the iMac could be simply a monitor...where is the HDMI/VGA/DVI input? Can I plug any pc/mac into it or only certain kinds?

This is news to me...and is not stated anywhere on the iMac webpage/techspecs.

Thanks!

brdeveloper
Jun 20, 2012, 01:35 PM

I do it in my white late 2009 Macbook, Snow Leopard, so I presume a Macbook Pro would easily do the job: can leave the lid closed and use a magic mouse and magic keyboard, MiniDP-to-VGA plugged in a lcd tv. Wake-up through keyboard or mouse also works.

tonytiger13
Jun 20, 2012, 01:41 PM

"Thunderbolt is interoperable with DisplayPort 1.2 compatible devices."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

We sure about this? I'm not saying it does, but interoperable seems to mean it does.

----------

I think you mean Retina Thunderbolt Display? When the iMacs get it. I'm thinking late this year or WWDC 2013.

ellsworth
Jun 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
I do it in my white late 2009 Macbook, Snow Leopard, so I presume a Macbook Pro would easily do the job: can leave the lid closed and use a magic mouse and magic keyboard, MiniDP-to-VGA plugged in a lcd tv. Wake-up through keyboard or mouse also works.

I do the same. I've been doing it for years with my 2006 MBP and still doing it with my 2011 MBP.

pezj
Jun 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
Pretty impressive. Wish my Chromebook worked like this

jcaplan
Jun 20, 2012, 01:52 PM

I checked with their pre-sales support, unfortunately it is just 1.

unplugme71
Jun 20, 2012, 01:55 PM

(Too bad you can't just fold up the three displays and put it into your pocket just like the retina MBP ;) )

And no delay on simultaneous video playback on all monitors - very good!

you must have a big pocket!

pvlcld
Jun 20, 2012, 01:57 PM

That is very interesting. I would think that, if the HD4000 graphics card in the new Air could drive two thunderbolt displays, then someone could make a thunderbolt hub for 200 bucks or so that would enable my new air to drive my two HP 25 inch displays. Two displays and one hub would cost much less than one thunderbolt display.

costmo
Jun 20, 2012, 02:04 PM

Just like the automobile was a step backwards because there was no way to connect your horse to it? The telephone was a step backwards because you couldn't use it to send telegrams?

Thunderbolt will do everything that DisplayPort did, plus more. DisplayPort can't do everything that can be done through Thunderbolt. They're not compatible, and that may cheese you off, but your claim that it was a step backwards is silly by any means of measuring such things.

whooleytoo
Jun 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
I wonder how long before Apple starts adding 3 external displays to the BTO options for the Retina MBP? I'm locking my credit card in a safe, just in case.

What?!? But what if I hook up the flux capacitor to a wire attached to the clock tower at just the right instant.....

mattmikulla
Jun 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
So how would you hook up two displays that are not thunderbolt?

I remember reading that HDMI has resolution limitations especially for say a dell 30".

Epic Xbox Revie
Jun 20, 2012, 02:07 PM

that's interesting. we'll see if they change it I guess.

Moonjumper
Jun 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
It is interesting that it can work with 15,680,000 pixels because a 27" retina iMac would be 14,745,600 pixels.

SchneiderMan
Jun 20, 2012, 02:15 PM
It really is a champ, and I'm glad I own one :)

Rocketman
Regarding the less expensive hookups and monitors, one can get pretty good monitors these days for under $300 each so buying 3 of those is less cost than a single Apple TB display. I have seen USB3 display boxes that support that many displays and I assume but do not know if the Monitors utility in System preferences supports that.

http://www.displaylink.com/usb3/end_users.php
http://www.displaylink.com/technology/common_questions.php

Here's one that uses either MDP or TB though>

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/digital/

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/displayport/

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/press/artwork/TripleHead2Go/6/imgLg/triplehead2go_displayport.jpg

Rocketman

ilfn143
too bad you can't do full screen :)

mrsir2009
Jun 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Thunderhawks
Jun 20, 2012, 02:24 PM

When make sense you !

Digital Skunk
Jun 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
That's actually kind of cool. I've always seen wall street/stock exchange professionals (or whatever they are called) working off of three or more large displays connected to a huge tower that had the GPUs to run them all.

Now they can essentially have the same setup but take it with them from time to time if they don't mind working on a single tiny screen while they are away from their monstrous desks.

frabber
Jun 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
it's Intel, Nvidia and whoever produces the screen that deserves the honor.
apple just packages it all up nice and tidy.., they are bound by their advances in technology.

imageWIS
Jun 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
THats great hardware-wise. However, the problem is now software, where Mac OS X fails completely, since a true multidesktop environment is not natively available.

odedia
Jun 20, 2012, 02:38 PM
Here's a question: If I remember correctly, the "old" 17" macbook pro is capable of driving 2 LED/thunderbolt displays as long as there is a connector between the two displays. Something like this:

MBP (With display on)-->Thunderbolt Display-->Pegasus 4tb Drive --> LED Display

Unless I forgot and the MBP display is actually turned off in this setup, doesn't this mean that it might actually be possible to drive FOUR displays with the new machine?

powers74
Jun 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Sold.

I want to push to get a couple of these to kill some dead Dells in our NOC at work :) .

I hope your organization is cooler than mine.

bobobenobi
Jun 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
it's Intel, Nvidia and whoever produces the screen that deserves the honor.
apple just packages it all up nice and tidy

Yeah, because Apple had nothing to do with the development of Thunderbolt. :rolleyes:

Exhale
Jun 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
I remember reading that HDMI has resolution limitations especially for say a dell 30".
Resolution limits are directly related to image quality limits. And used versions.

basic HDMI can't drive a 2560x panel if you intend to run it at normal quality levels (60FPS & 24 bit colour)

Updated HDMI (1.3 and beyond) can do that, and the latest can run 4k screens if you cut the refresh rate (FPS) down to 24. (And you can still push the colour quality up to 36 bits)

rmwebs
Jun 20, 2012, 03:00 PM

Well obviously for many professions a Mac Pro is required. But if you read my post I was saying that this is now a good option for those that are on a Mac Pro for over 2 screens.

ironpony
Jun 20, 2012, 03:00 PM
How about the MacBook Pro non-retina???

adamberti
Jun 20, 2012, 03:11 PM

This was all so confusing, we had clients asking us if this would work, so we set out to get a definitive answer. I just talked to our local business team and YES it does support 2 external monitors. Here it is from our local Apple Store:

Hi Adam,

The first article you listed is correct. Further we tested it in store and a new 11inch macbook air worked with 2 thunderbolt displays with the display on the macbook air remaining active so effectively 3 displays.

Hope this helps.

[Redacted]
Business Specialist
Apple Store, Market Mall
Phone: (403) 648-4868

That's pretty slick if you ask me.... an 11" driving three monitors (although one tiny one) all at once!

KnightWRX
Jun 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
Thunderbolt will do everything that DisplayPort did, plus more. DisplayPort can't do everything that can be done through Thunderbolt. They're not compatible, and that may cheese you off, but your claim that it was a step backwards is silly by any means of measuring such things.

Thunderbolt can't do everything that DisplayPort 1.2 does though. DisplayPort 1.2 can drive 21 Gbps of framebuffer bandwidth, Thunderbolt is limited to half.

As far as displays go, DP 1.2 is superior to TB.

Sackvillenb
Jun 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Well that's pretty cool, especially since Mike says that there was no performance lag while using all the displays. That's impressive. I like.

andreigherghe
Jun 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
That's a lot of power :eek:

camomac
Jun 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
that's awesome.
BUT~
i just can't get over that fact that the battery is glued in and
the hdd has a proprietary connection. (before you bump me
down, yes i know why they did it)

mbh
Jun 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
This was all so confusing, we had clients asking us if this would work, so we set out to get a definitive answer. I just talked to our local business team and YES it does support 2 external monitors. [...]
That's pretty slick if you ask me.... an 11" driving three monitors (although one tiny one) all at once!

9to5mac.com (http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/20/retina-macbook-pros-run-three-external-displays-refreshed-airs-get-dual-external-display-support/) has a photo of this working.

Edit: "this" being a MacBook Air driving two displays.

KnightWRX
Jun 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
i just can't get over that fact that the battery is glued in

The batteries haven't been "user replaceable" since 2009 on Unibodies. Why is it such an issue now ?

The concept was actually introduced with the 17" MBP refresh in January 2009 :

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/13/apple-details-17-macbook-pro-battery-replacements-same-day-service-at-apple-retail/

It then was implemented in every other model at their refresh in the same year.

adamberti
Jun 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
9to5mac.com (http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/20/retina-macbook-pros-run-three-external-displays-refreshed-airs-get-dual-external-display-support/) has a photo of this working.

Hang on, are you saying that if any of us (myself included) had bothered to read the quoted article first, we would have seen that picture and not had to debate it and ask anyone?

:D

mbh
Jun 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hang on, are you saying that if any of us (myself included) had bothered to read the quoted article first, we would have seen that picture and not had to debate it and ask anyone?

:D

My message was referring to the MacBook Air driving two displays. I don't see that in the MacRumors article, or the one they quoted.

unixperience
Jun 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
yep, this is what i wanted confirmation of. Now I'm totally going to buy this computer. I would love to have native monitor support (rather than the 2 usb-dvi converters i use). Great news, cant wait

cube
Jun 20, 2012, 03:41 PM

We sure about this? I'm not saying it does, but interoperable seems to mean it does.

Interoperable does not mean it supports the new 1.2 features.

----------

Just like the automobile was a step backwards because there was no way to connect your horse to it? The telephone was a step backwards because you couldn't use it to send telegrams?

Thunderbolt can do what DP 1.1 does, not the new stuff DP 1.2 can do.

Bubba Satori
Jun 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
I wonder if Apple will ever offer a full range of ACD models and sizes again?

unixperience
Jun 20, 2012, 03:47 PM

eyefinity worked with the other amd cards. the main issue is for them to work well you need to have identical display resolutions (for optimal perf) this works with the iMacs and minis for instance. just not notebooks. but it is a step in the right direction.

NewbieCanada
Jun 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
who would want to?

Duh. The Brady Bunch

manu chao
Jun 20, 2012, 04:02 PM
Thunderbolt can't do everything that DisplayPort 1.2 does though. DisplayPort 1.2 can drive 21 Gbps of framebuffer bandwidth, Thunderbolt is limited to half.

As far as displays go, DP 1.2 is superior to TB.
TB has two independent 10 Gbps channels, so TB cannot offer 21 Gbps to a single display but it can offer 10 Gbps each to two displays that are daisychained. As usual, some limitations can apply in reality.

----------

The batteries haven't been "user replaceable" since 2009 on Unibodies. Why is it such an issue now ?

The concept was actually introduced with the 17" MBP refresh in January 2009 :

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/13/apple-details-17-macbook-pro-battery-replacements-same-day-service-at-apple-retail/

It then was implemented in every other model at their refresh in the same year.
Actually it was introduced even a bit earlier, in October 2008 with the Al-unibody 13" MB and the 15" MBP, the 17" MBP took a bit longer and went unibody and fixed battery in early 2009 as you said.

----------

At least pre-TB, this was limited to the larger screen iMacs.

----------

Yes, at least with up to two external monitors. Don't know whether the actual implementation of TB in the TB displays and the 15" MBP supports three external monitors (and three external Apple TB might be too many pixels anyway).

gnasher729
Jun 20, 2012, 04:36 PM

Mac Pro could always do any number of graphics cards, so no problem there. This is about running three external displays off an Ultrabook.

faroZ06
Jun 20, 2012, 04:39 PM
who would want to?

Apparently, 35 people would. I don't really see why. You'd have to keep turning. I can hardly see a 24" screen because of my poor eyesight.

Imhotep397
Jun 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
I still wonder what the performance for stuff like 3D rendering and FX rendering and even certain compute intensive Photoshop filters under this kind of setup would be. With so much energy going to powering a very dense display and with the GPU not really being "Best of Class" I wonder if it's really going to be a step up for everyone that might be on the market for a MacBook Pro.

agendum
Jun 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
Apparently they are working on a circular desk so that you can completely encircle yourself with monitors and a set of glasses that will allow you to split your vision across up to eight separate sources of video and a brain firmware upgrade that will...allow you to walk and chew gum...it's amazing!

Can someone with more time do a photoshop of the desk idea and get that into patent for me, please.

RichardF
Jun 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
Impressive! Though do you have to use both Thunderbolt ports, or could you not simply use one and daisy-chain the second Thunderbolt display off of the first one?

I'd like to know this as well.

I saw on 9to5mac a picture of the new MBAs able to drive two Apple displays, but they only have one Thunderbolt port so the monitors are daisy-chained?

Then on the MBP Retina, this set-up could have been achieved using one port and leaving one free?

JohnDoe98
Jun 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
Too bad you can't use the Apple TV as an extra display. If they can do mirroring, they could let you use a wireless hookup.

pierino84
Jun 20, 2012, 05:59 PM

Don't despair, non-retina MacBook user :)!
It's true that non-retina macbook pros have only one thunderbolt port used as a displayport, but there are two USB 3.0!!
It is possible to use USB to DVI/HDMI adapters and software from DisplayLink, which comes with several of them, to connect many displays (up to 4 simultaneously).
You just need the two USB 3.0 ports and two hubs.
With a display connected to the thunderbolt and the main LCD we could arrive to 6 monitors!!
Then a nice nuclear meltdown of the CPU and GPU, so bring a fire extinguisher with you :D

calaverasgrande
Jun 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
"that is amazing"
outside of stock and futures trading , I don't see any benefit to having somuch screen real estate.
I'll say it again, it really pisses me off that there is no FW or gigabit and yet there are 3 yes THREEE video outputs.
I can just see people laughing at this oddity several years down the road.
Reminds me of the firewire-less MBP from ...what was it 2009?

cupcakes2000
Jun 20, 2012, 06:08 PM
outside of stock and futures trading , I don't see any benefit to having somuch screen real estate.
I'll say it again, it really pisses me off that there is no FW or gigabit and yet there are 3 yes THREEE video outputs.
I can just see people laughing at this oddity several years down the road.
Reminds me of the firewire-less MBP from ...what was it 2009?

Apart from thunderbolt isn't just a video display technology is it now.

And...

Just because YOU don't see a use, doesn't mean that no one else does.

mjtomlin
Jun 20, 2012, 06:19 PM

You do know that Macs have had built-in multiple display support since 1987?

kazmac
Jun 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
but I'm enjoying all the funny comments in this thread even more :).

overanalyzer
Jun 20, 2012, 06:45 PM
Which MBPR configuration you have. I'm replacing my dell desktop that is 7 years old and eventually would like to do exactly you are. At home function like a desktop with Thunderbolt Display and keyboard and trackpad yet take the laptop wherever I go. Desktop and laptop in 1.

2.6 GHz w/16GB RAM (that's the only thing I customized from the stock configuration - I left the 512GB SSD and processor alone).

I had been running a VM with Windows Server 2008 R2 on the laptop and Windows 7 Ultimate with Visual Studio 2010 on the iMac for doing C# .NET development work. Now I can run both VMs on the MBP, with 4GB of RAM dedicated to each, while having all my productivity apps open (Mail, iCal, Chrome, iTunes, etc.), and still have almost 4GB of RAM free and have no lag in any of the apps or VMs. It's an amazing change from my 5-year-old iMac and 4-year-old laptop.

La Porta
Jun 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Wait a minute...I could have sworn that, with the proper NuBus cards...a Mac II could have done this as well. They may have been 12" monitors, but it could do it. So, it's not the first, nor are the Mac Pros.

bretmartin
Jun 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
Here's what I'd like to see: a Thunderbolt dongle or dock that has two DVI or DP or mini DP ports so I can use the perfectly good external displays I have already to do external dual displays on a Thunderbolt MacBook Air or Pro.

AppleScruff1
Jun 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
I wonder how many people that buy these will also buy three Cinema Displays?

JaHull
Jun 20, 2012, 08:00 PM

----------

I think you mean Retina Thunderbolt Display? When the iMacs get it. I'm thinking late this year or WWDC 2013.

What it means is Thunderbolt can currently run a DisplayPort 1.2 capable monitor but not at max resolution. DisplayPort 1.2 passthrough will be part of the 2013 Thunderbolt chips, which is when we are most likely to see Quad Full HD Cinema Displays

Renzatic
Jun 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
What it means is Thunderbolt can currently run a DisplayPort 1.2 capable monitor but not at max resolution. DisplayPort 1.2 passthrough will be part of the 2013 Thunderbolt chips, which is when we are most likely to see Quad Full HD Cinema Displays

Whatever. Even if HDMI can give you full resolution, I refuse to use it over Thunderbolt.

Cuz Thunderbolt's the future.

Demosthenes X
Jun 20, 2012, 08:22 PM
In this config the mbp will have to run gt650m card, as hd4000 supports only 3 displays. So it will eat power much faster.

And so far, kepler videocards supports up to 4 displays

If you're at a desk with three external monitors, then plugging in the MBP shouldn't be a problem...

linux2mac
Jun 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
I wonder how many people that buy these will also buy three Cinema Displays?

Perhaps this guy.

http://osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/macbook-pro-with-dual-cinema-displays.jpeg

Renzatic
Jun 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hey, I got that same wallpaper!

Also, that's only two cinema displays.

twoodcc
Jun 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
now that's awesome!

killmoms
Jun 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
Once I saw this on MR I knew I just had to try it at the office. Lo and behold, works for the 27 ACDs (non-Thunderbolt) and 24 broadcast monitor in my office.

I almost felt a little woozy, swiping from desktop to desktop on all four displays taking up most of my forward view.

AppleScruff1
Jun 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
Perhaps this guy.

Image (http://osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/macbook-pro-with-dual-cinema-displays.jpeg)

My question wasn't who. It was how many. I'm thinking that someone who needed 3 displays would lean more toward a Mac Pro. Much better cooling and stronger graphics card.

Fishcake21
Jun 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
The gpu for that retina macbook pro is said to be able to power at least 8 monitors at full 1080p.

Ozy
Jun 20, 2012, 08:47 PM
This is seriously awesome. If Apple updates their MacMini with two thunderbolt and HDMI + HD4000, I can retire my old MacPro. I could save some serious dough by doing a MacMini plus a few TB or USB3 external HDDs instead of buying another MacPro. My workflow requires a minimum of 3 screens.

tedus
Jun 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
YAY! Now every time we swipe a to a fullscreen app we can stare at 3 monitors showing a useless grey background.

HAHA

3 x useless still = useless.

I love fullscreen apps and need 2 monitors every day at work.
I just can't have both.

:(

haruhiko
Jun 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
unfortunately my wallet can't power four displays.

lol!!!

Phoon
Jun 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
I concur with the people who have pointed out the uselessness of external displays with fullscreen apps (that aren't designed for multiple displays).

Come on, Apple. The Mission Control UI is broken. Fix it.

We should be able to switch desktops for each monitor separately. Heck, it would be nice to move desktops from display to display, if the displays had the same resolution (or even if they didn't, perhaps by telling fullscreen apps to leave and re-enter fullscreen mode).

I'd like to keep a development VM on one screen, while switching between references on another... but as it stands now, I can't.

EDIT: To be fair, the same was true in Spaces, though I could have a full-screen app on one monitor and still use the other.

AidenShaw
Jun 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
Perhaps this guy.

Image (http://osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/macbook-pro-with-dual-cinema-displays.jpeg)

Hey, I got that same wallpaper!

Also, that's only two cinema displays.

It looks like the keyboard and a boatload of other cables are connected to the left monitor, which would make me wonder if the left one is an Imac....

conradwt
Jun 20, 2012, 09:17 PM

Any 27" iMac can be used as an external display with a MiniDisplay or Thunderbolt port. However, one can only use the iMac 21.5" with Thunderbolt port as an external display.

Phoon
Jun 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
Something else I realized:

Does this require native Thunderbolt displays, or can I use MDP-to-DVI/VGA adapters to hook up two externals to the TB ports, along with HDMI?

rusty2192
Jun 20, 2012, 09:31 PM
[/COLOR]
Actually it was introduced even a bit earlier, in October 2008 with the Al-unibody 13" MB and the 15" MBP, the 17" MBP took a bit longer and went unibody and fixed battery in early 2009 as you said.[COLOR="#808080"]

This is getting a bit off topic, but this is incorrect. I am on my Late 2008 Aluminum unibody MacBook right now and it has a user replaceable battery. I can't comment on the 15" MBP, but since it was released at the same time I would guess it is the same. I think the previous poster was correct.

zzLZHzz
Jun 20, 2012, 09:36 PM

but nobody will do that. why won't you use the iMac itself it is is more powerful than your other computer.

Phoon
Jun 20, 2012, 09:47 PM
but nobody will do that. why won't you use the iMac itself it is is more powerful than your other computer.

Maybe if the MBP is set up with the apps you need, while the iMac isn't?

Nobody said that you necessarily own both machines. Particularly in academia, there are such things as 'computer labs'. (Though I have to admit that using a lab machine as a display can be uncouth, if there are people waiting...)

zzLZHzz
Jun 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
Maybe if the MBP is set up with the apps you need, while the iMac isn't?

Nobody said that you necessarily own both machines. Particularly in academia, there are such things as 'computer labs'. (Though I have to admit that using a lab machine as a display can be uncouth, if there are people waiting...)

opps, i overlook this point.

speaking of that, i always bring around a vga with me and plug into the display in my school lab.

Phoon
Jun 20, 2012, 10:03 PM
speaking of that, i always bring around a vga with me and plug into the display in my school lab.

That's why I bought the MDP-to-VGA adapter first; all the projectors at school have VGA hookups, not DVI. (http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3psl17/)

Renzatic
Jun 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
It looks like the keyboard and a boatload of other cables are connected to the left monitor, which would make me wonder if the left one is an Imac....

Nope. It's not an iMac. The bezel is perfectly even around the screen.

Sorta looks like there's a Mac Mini behind it, though.

InuNacho
Jun 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
Here's what I'd like to see: a Thunderbolt dongle or dock that has two DVI or DP or mini DP ports so I can use the perfectly good external displays I have already to do external dual displays on a Thunderbolt MacBook Air or Pro.

Thats what I'd like to see too. I just ordered a 17 inch MBP and want to use a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme and an external display at the same time but unfortunately can't.

Xcallibur
Jun 21, 2012, 01:02 AM
How is it possible to simultaneously run four screens at once whilst playing a video on each and it not be possible to scroll properly/run mission control in scaled mode!?

Marx55
Jun 21, 2012, 01:41 AM
Thunderbolt: a single connection to rule them all. Soon on iOS besides the current Mac. REVOLUTIONARY!

vmachiel
Jun 21, 2012, 02:14 AM
I don't care if you need it or not, or the thing gets to hot. Just the fact that it's possible is pretty damn cool:)

Ubuntu
Jun 21, 2012, 03:55 AM
What about non-TB displays? I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac for work but I'd love to be able to use both my HP displays without the use of a USB-DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter, as they're a bit laggy.

Would a TB> multiple DVI outputs adapter be possible? Without just mirroring the displays, I mean.

EDIT: Just realised, this MBP has two TB ports and one HDMI port. That's pretty awesome, I might have to consider it.

hexx
Jun 21, 2012, 04:29 AM

I believe there are many "serious web developers" developing on 13" notebook screens just fine.

I run two displays at work, but any more and it would be a little overwhelming. Then again I'm not watching the stock market. I also know plenty of companies running websites etc. without the need for three monitors.

i could do with 3 screens as web developer - one for editor, one for browser and one for virtual machine running win with IE. as web developer you should test all browsers before publishing your code. this would simplify/minimize number of clicks and switching desktops - whatever....

I work on 2 displays but one extra for virtual machine would be really really nice

gatortpk
Jun 21, 2012, 05:44 AM
As I said in another post, a Retina 27" Display would have 14.7 million pixels, so this proves that the new MacBook Pro can drive at least that.

I'd like to see it drive two Retina 27" Displays, and it's own 2880x1800 pixel display. As I said before, it only requires about (exactly to 3 sig figs) 100 MB for the frame buffer at 35 million pixels.

Two Retina 27" Displays (5120x2880) and the built in 2880x1800 display is only 34,765,200 Million Pixels. The 1 GB of GDDR5 RAM is enough by 10x, but how would the video play back be with just the NVidia GeForce GT 650M? Also, we'd need close to 20 Gbps uncompressed video through the the ThunderBolt cable to get close to 60 fps. ThunderBolt can do that, but with both DisplayPort and PCIe lanes?

By the time a Retina 27" ADC comes out, if the current rMBP can't do it, I suppose it would be updated by then to be capable. (Would it require a faster GPU or more GDDR5 RAM; such a 2GB?)

Pompiliu
Jun 21, 2012, 05:46 AM
LOL. Those are iMacs, not monitors. lol.

gatortpk
Jun 21, 2012, 05:56 AM
I don't care if you need it or not, or the thing gets to hot. Just the fact that it's possible is pretty damn cool:)

Why would it get any hotter? If it's only static images, it's just using more GDDR5 memory, I don't think that really heats things up much.

Of course playing Video on all the displays uses a little power, but no more than Folding@Home (not even close), I could play 6 or 7 Full HD Videos now on two large displays, with some over lapping of course.

----------

If you're referring to the Photo, that is obvious, I have exactly one of those iMacs.

I was just imagining the next generation of 27" displays with quadruple pixels at 14.7 MP. I was pointing out that the setup in the photo is driving more pixels than that (15.7 MP)! So that's how the photo proves than the rMBP can drive a future Retina 27" Display.

----------

Those are iMacs in Display Mode, so they act just like monitors, the iMac's Video cards aren't doing any work.

It's all the rMBP, but I think you knew that. :)

b0blndsy
Jun 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
One monitor for modeling, another for texturing, third one for rigging and fourth one for lighting? Add a fifth one for rendering... :eek: assuming that it's able to do multiple displays, instead of just duplicating the one from the MBP. That would be UBER UBER UBER drop dead awesome!

thebroz
Jun 21, 2012, 06:39 AM
I am not sure what the term "natively power four displays simultaneously" means, specifically.
The Mac II required a video card for every display, including the first display. You could optionally add additional cards (from Apple) to run more displays. I used two displays, but some of my colleagues used three. This was not simple mirroring, but the same extended desktop we use now.

batitombo
Jun 21, 2012, 07:32 AM
4 porn screens!!

Xenc
Jun 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
Oh :0 thats amazing how did I not know that XD

Yep, it's quite a cool feature! It's been around since the previous generation iMac (the models without Thunderbolt). I use it to plug my Xbox 360 into my iMac, which outputs at 720p.

adam1080
Jun 21, 2012, 09:17 AM
This makes the Retina MacBook Pro the first Mac -- other than a tower-based workstation like the Mac Pro -- to natively power four displays simultaneously.

Bull crap. I can run four on my iMac...

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/reymudo/IMG_3317.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/reymudo/IMG_3315.jpg

Rodimus Prime
Jun 21, 2012, 09:21 AM
Well if they can drive 3 display then Apple really needs to over haul their multi monitor support in the OS because sucks would be an improvement over now.

jimi78
Jun 21, 2012, 12:28 PM

like my old black macbook, it sounds like your wallet needs an upgrade as well:D

This is very impressive...so since those are iMacs the CPU's in those pcs don't help w/ any of the performance? the MBP is running the whole thing? WOW, just WOW

SteveyAppleSeed
Jun 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
I noticed scroll lag when I changed the res to 1920x1200, so I don't buy that there's no lag powering much more pixels. Also, my coworker just got the rMBP and it runs HOT; he's not even powering an external display.

If only it retained the regular MBP keyboard...

manu chao
Jun 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
This is getting a bit off topic, but this is incorrect. I am on my Late 2008 Aluminum unibody MacBook right now and it has a user replaceable battery. I can't comment on the 15" MBP, but since it was released at the same time I would guess it is the same. I think the previous poster was correct.
You are right, I somehow in my memory simplified history a little bit by associating the change to sealed battery with the move to unibody construction. Apple usually keeps a case design for a long time, changing the 15" MBP case design after only one generation, even if only in one small aspect is very rare.

killmoms
Jun 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Bull crap. I can run four on my iMac...

Image (http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/reymudo/IMG_3317.jpg)

Image (http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/reymudo/IMG_3315.jpg)

I see your 4 displays and raise you one! ;)

I also took this video quickly to show how well the MBPR performs while driving this many pixels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnw0Shqt8sU

activ8
Jun 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
And why do we need to run 3 external monitors you ask?

Now you can keep track of your stocks, sports, work, and most important, porn!

AidenShaw
Jun 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
And why do we need to run 3 external monitors you ask?

Now you can keep track of your stocks, sports, work, and most important, porn!

Truly the killer app - being able to watch all views of a multi-angle porn BD at once!

Oh wait, you'll have to boot Windows to do that, The Tim hasn't overruled the turtlenecked overlord's anti-BD rant - yet.

Renzatic
Jun 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
Truly the killer app - being able to watch all views of a multi-angle porn BD at once!

They make those? :O

zzLZHzz
Jun 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
That's why I bought the MDP-to-VGA adapter first; all the projectors at school have VGA hookups, not DVI. (http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3psl17/)

some of my school projectors even rejected my vga input. can't detect any signal.

jcpb
Jun 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
who would want to?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15046725&postcount=19

zzLZHzz
Jun 22, 2012, 12:16 AM
neighbor's step-aunt brought in $19301 the previous month. she is making income on the internet and got a $549400 house. All she did was get blessed and put into action the advice revealed on this web site fuseurl.com/dk3

why the hell is there spam over here?

KPATT18
Jun 22, 2012, 12:59 AM

He didn't say "EVERY" serious web developer or cad designer....

Really? lighten up

gatortpk
Jun 22, 2012, 01:59 AM
Truly the killer app - being able to watch all views of a multi-angle BD at once!

Oh wait, you'll have to boot Windows to do that, The Tim hasn't overruled the turtlenecked overlord's anti-BD rant - yet.

You don't have to boot into Windows to watch Blu-ray Discs. I have natively watched Blu-ray discs on my iMac since 2011, I got my external BD Burner in 2010. It's the fastest CD and DVD burner I've got also.

Mac OS X surprised me when I first hooked it up in 2010 when it natively supported BD format Discs. Though there wasn't an app to play BD movies directly at the time. There is now. (It happens to be called "Blu-ray Player" in my Applications folder.) You can find easily with Google.

In 2010, I've played BD movies indirectly, before the native player App. Other Apps (HandBrake) could still "see" the video files on the BD disc from day one. (I owned every Blu-ray Movies I ever played, so all legal anyway)

I haven't used it in a while, but I remember I could play BD movies without any problem on an external HDCP capable display (or any HDTV), but if I slid more than half of the movie onto my iMac display, it get this stupid "Cannot play due to HDCP not being supported on this display". Well the iMac does support HDCP on it's own display. They probably fixed the bug by now. What's really weird is that 49% of the movie would play on it, but not 51%, or just 100% on the external 1080p display. HDCP is an annoying error prone DRM for the paranoid entertainment industry. It's even been reversed engineered already. I just hate how sometimes I have to restart some HDTVs because the encryption "Hand Shake" didn't work the first time. (When will this DRM madness stop! It doesn't prevent piracy and it only gets in the way for law abiding consumers. After all, who really needs to record the HDMI stream directly anyway? My DVR works fine.)

caipirina
Jun 23, 2012, 12:35 AM
And add an iPad via AirScreen ... and then there are those small screens that connect via USB .... now THAT would be impressive

PJMAN2952
Jun 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
Wow that is an amazing amount of pixels for a computer so thin and light.
Well that's Apple! They always do something magical :apple: