PDA

View Full Version : Apple's iCloud and iMessage Services Experiencing Significant Outage [Update: Resolved]

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2012, 01:09 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apples-icloud-and-imessage-services-experiencing-significant-outage/)

A number of MacRumors readers are reporting that iCloud services are currently down, and based on the number of reports it appears that the outage is quite widespread. Apple's iCloud system status page (http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/) is currently acknowledging access issues, although there is no estimate of the proportion of iCloud users being affected.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/icloud_connection_error.jpg

Beyond iCloud, Apple's iMessage service also appears to be down, with messages failing to go through as the sending process hangs prior to completion.

Update: Users are also reporting problems with Apple's developer portal and iTunes Store access, although pieces of Apple's online services do appear to be coming back online. We're even hearing that Apple may have experienced Internet issues for its own employees at its Cupertino headquarters.

Update 2: Apple has updated its iCloud system status page to note that "some" users are affected and that service will be restored "ASAP".

Update 3: Roughly two hours after reports of the issues began surfacing, Apple now notes on its iCloud system status page that all services are back online.

Article Link: Apple's iCloud and iMessage Services Experiencing Significant Outage [Update: Resolved] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apples-icloud-and-imessage-services-experiencing-significant-outage/)

Intell
Jun 20, 2012, 01:11 PM
Also down is the App Store on iOS devices. Keep getting the "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" message.

applefan289
Jun 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
I was just going to send an email but iCloud.com would not load. Then I come to MacRumors and see that there's an outage. :p

Edit: iCloud.com is back up for me.

majordude
All your password are belong to us.

spiffers
Its impossible to logon to itunes at the moment, developer.apple.com is down as well

Stuipdboy1000
Jun 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
iMessage is down here. A quick Twitter search shows its down for quite a large amount of people too.

Piggie
Jun 20, 2012, 01:14 PM
Welcome to the world of Cloud computing when access to your data is in the hand of someone else and stored somewhere else.

You just know sooner of later it's all going to go pear shaped.

The difference is, when it goes wrong, BOY will it go wrong.

tezro
The Netherlands here. Not connecting either with Apple Mail.
iCloud webmail signs in, but takes a while to show my emails.

RayK
Its working for me. I must be lucky..

afurry13
Also down is the App Store on iOS devices. Keep getting the "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" message.

my app store is working fine. imessage is indeed down however. I didn't even know until i read this and went to check on a message i had sent 20 minutes ago. It was hung up... come on apple, these things CANT happen, especially on a weekday.

skywalkerr69
I have no iMessage, this reminds me of all the times blackberrys servers are offline.

efp1
Jun 20, 2012, 01:15 PM
Facetime isn't working either :(

Edit: Seems to be working now :)

MaxGravy
This happened to me last week! But right now it's working fine. :confused:

tezro
Its working for me. I must be lucky..

Just got the topic notification in here. Was not working as I typed my post.

BradClarke
Jun 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
Facetime isn't working either :(

I second that, FaceTime is def down, no error messages, just never connects to the other person. Ughhh :(

EDIT: WOrking for me now was down

iAmYou
Jun 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
iTunes match is having issues as well.

tigres
Jun 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
All down.
Mail
iMessage.
dead....

egraphixstudios
Jun 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
getting nothing here in the UK. imessage/ itunes/ icloud etc.. all failing...

I'm able to access all iCloud services. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area.

RoboCop001
I've been having problems for a couple of days with Messages on my Mac. It can't connect to the server. But iMessage on my iPhone works fine.

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that"

Siri has taken over! :p

alex00100
Jun 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
So what? It will be fixed pretty soon anyway. Apple is not a company that would have its services down for days.

Peace
Jun 20, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'm gonna guess Apple is updating beta stuff in da cloud.

Stella
Lack of Reliability is the downside of "the cloud". If you can't get your files, your screwed. Mind you, so far, iCloud has been OK.

barkomatic
This is why I prefer to have everything stored locally on my device and end up getting the highest capacity I can. A huge drawback of cloud computing is that someone else has to maintain your access.

I wonder how many people had a critical file they couldn't access in iCloud today? Good for managing contacts and calendars but not reliable enough for anything else.

blueroom
Jun 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
Working here in Toronto, Canada eh.

ppilone
Jun 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
Remember that iMessage does allow you to still send a message as a text. When you tap send quickly tap and hold the message and choose "Send as text message". You can also do this if you try and resend a failed iMessage.

pmz
Jun 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
Yea i've been seeing iMessage problems since yesterday and they continue today...

Then again, I've been seeing iMessage problems since iOS 5 beta 1, so it shouldn't come as much surprise.

ristlin
Jun 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the world of Cloud computing when access to your data is in the hand of someone else and stored somewhere else.

You mean welcome to the world of the Internet... Access to your data is always in the hands of someone else. Some less obvious than others.

Snow Leper
Jun 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Intermittent iMessage service in Los Angeles. Apple Store app has been working fine for me.

brdeveloper
Jun 20, 2012, 01:23 PM

Cloud computing is nice, but you also need a local mirrored storage. Time Machine/Capsule probably will support iCloud synchronization.

blumpkin
Jun 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm on Sprint. So everything is always down.

ct2k7
Jun 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
iCloud working fine for me in Florida.

ksgant
Down here for me too. I sent a message to my wife on her @me.com account and it says it can't deliver it. But sending it to her to her iPhone account sends a text message via the AT&T Text messaging service...which is "green" on the iPhone iMessage app...so it just cost me .25 cents to send it when normally it would be free.

Sending it to her on her @me.com account says "This person cannot be reached by iMessage at this time".

WTF is going on?

taran420
Working here in Toronto, Canada eh.

Down for me on Rogers. :mad:

Piggie
You mean welcome to the world of the Internet... Access to your data is always in the hands of someone else. Some less obvious than others.

Errr, no.

None of my data is stored via the Internet.
None of my data is in the hands of anyone else.
Every piece of my data is stored locally.

Why would I trust a 3rd party with my "only" copy or my "only" means to access my data? That would be beyond dumb.

whsbuss
Jun 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
Was down here (SE PA) for 20 minutes and now its back.

Piggie
Jun 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
Cloud computing is nice, but you also need a local mirrored storage. Time Machine/Capsule probably will support iCloud synchronization.

Oh yes, fully agree, throw a little duplicated data into the cloud for things like an iPad as it has such limited storage space itself. But never "RELY" on the cloud for anything that really matters.

britboyj
Jun 20, 2012, 01:29 PM
Down in Dallas. It's intermittently letting me send and telling me they're delivered, but the recipient isn't getting them.

reden
Jun 20, 2012, 01:29 PM
This is why I disabled iMessage two months ago. People kept asking why I didn't get the text messages since something happened to my iCloud account. I'll stick to old school texting on this one.

Chopper9
Jun 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
iCloud and iMessage suck. They are the most non-apple products/services to date. Buggy, constant issues, not working, etc.

And the fact that you can't change the email address associated with your account is beyond ridiculous.

iMacFarlane

^THIS, ftw!

needfx

Creative Comment & Movie Reference of the Week Award!!

ZacNicholson
Mine iMessage is working fine. I'm in Indiana and the girl I texted is in Russia.

iBungie
Jun 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
Service seems to be ok in the UK

ann713
Jun 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
My iMessage service has been in "Waiting for activation..." for a few hours now, any else?

clukas
Didnt work for me earlier today but is fine now. (Am in london,gb)

piousjin
The development pages are slow as well.

funtime180
If this was any other blog, it would be blighted by Apple haters!

chriscrk
Jun 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Seems to be working fine for me...

iEvolution
Just one of the many reasons why cloud storage is a bad bad idea.

Other reasons:
- Security
- Lack of connectivity everywhere
- Internet provider problems (lagging, busy, cant connect, etc.)
- content access based on a company rather than yourself

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.

TheStoof
I have no iMessage, this reminds me of all the times blackberrys servers are offline.

Time to give up on iPhone because they fail for one day in five years. Yep!

delnerdo
Jun 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
here http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

shady825
Jun 20, 2012, 01:35 PM
Game Center was also down for me too.
Everything seems to be ok now tho.

thekeyring
Jun 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
This is a good example of why Apple's cloud computing beats Google's. Can't connect to iCloud - at least your computer still works and you can get at your apps + documents.

saintforlife
Jun 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
Another reason why you still need onboard storage. You can't always depend on having the 'cloud' being up for you or the connection to get to it.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 20, 2012, 01:39 PM

Except when BBM goes down a BB doesn't automatically try to re-send as a SMS.

teamrusnac
Jun 20, 2012, 01:41 PM
u know what the best part of all of this is? youll never hear apple acknowledge there is a system wide issue. Theyre gonna get it up and running again, and then act like nothing ever happened.

My imessages werent going through either and couldnt access discussion boards.

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 20, 2012, 01:41 PM
My .me account is acting strange, iMessages is working fine on my 4S, and I am listening to iTunes match though things have been up and down the last hour.

miss.manson
Jun 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
Everything appears to be fine here.

5thSymphony
Jun 20, 2012, 01:43 PM
No problem from Montreal, QC

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5397/56580165.png

onepremiere
Jun 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
This is why I prefer to have everything stored locally on my device and end up getting the highest capacity I can. A huge drawback of cloud computing is that someone else has to maintain your access.
I wonder how many people had a critical file they couldn't access in iCloud today? Good for managing contacts and calendars but not reliable enough for anything else.

This.

It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.

mrbell1984
Jun 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
I had loss of full service, every idevice I owned was down and only just come back up. Could not log into anywhere with an Apple ID.

Service appears to have been restored.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 20, 2012, 01:48 PM
It's astonishing that this isn't common sense. Promotes laziness because of its convience, and when it fails, we piss and moan. I've lived by the virtue that if you want something done right/your way, do it yourself. Quality and reliablity are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

What. How awesome do people think a free service with no SLA is going to be? Who is storing critical files on here? There are vendors out there who are doing cloud based computing/SaaS very very well every day of the week. iCloud != industry leading 99.999% standards

Spooner83
Jun 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apples-icloud-and-imessage-services-experiencing-significant-outage/)

A number of MacRumors readers are reporting that iCloud services are currently down, and based on the number of reports it appears that the outage is quite widespread. Apple's iCloud system status page (http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/) is currently acknowledging access issues, although there is no estimate of the proportion of iCloud users being affected.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/icloud_connection_error.jpg)

Beyond iCloud, Apple's iMessage service also appears to be down, with messages failing to go through as the sending process hangs prior to completion.

Update: Users are also reporting problems with Apple's developer portal and iTunes Store access, although pieces of Apple's online services do appear to be coming back online. We're even hearing that Apple may have experienced Internet issues for its own employees at its Cupertino headquarters.

Article Link: Apple's iCloud and iMessage Services Experiencing Significant Outage (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/20/apples-icloud-and-imessage-services-experiencing-significant-outage/)

That's nothing, download iOS6 beta and there's so many bugs in it that the Orkin man would quit!

applefanDrew
Jun 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
I've not had any problems all day. I guess I was lucky that none of this affected me.

bigcat318
At about the exact same time I was having trouble getting Google to load. I thought the sky was falling.

Piggie
This.

I've always backed up locally. Cloud computing is just a perk, and if it fails, no harm no foul.

Agree 100%

Trouble is, we have BIG companies that are selling this to the public, and kids of the future that don't worry it'll all be fine.

Again, I think the cloud is great, but only for some handy convenience to make access easier on some limited devices, perhaps when out and about.

But NEVER trust or RELY on it.

I bet Apple and others have lots of legal things you agree to that makes any loss of your data by it's services nothing you can hold them legally accountable for. You lose your data held on their servers due to a fault with their systems and tough luck, you should of kept a backup.

I am sure, at time goes on we will actually find more and more dumb people having their only copy of their data on cloud type systems run my 3rd parties.

And like not locking your doors, or fixing an alarm it's only after they have lost anything will they learn.

brdeveloper

Other reasons:
- Security

Yet so many people think cloud computing is the future, if it is we're in for a horrible future.

I have my own cloud storage. Basically, I've installed a Debian distro in a virtual machine provider and created a sshfs mapping in my system thanks to MacFuse. Obviously, it's more expensive than a cloud storage plan, but I feel more comfortable having all control over my data, encryption, etc, although it doesn't exempt me from having a local backup.

QCassidy352
Jun 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
iCloud and iMessage suck. They are the most non-apple products/services to date. Buggy, constant issues, not working, etc.

And the fact that you can't change the email address associated with your account is beyond ridiculous.

Totally disagree. I've had no problems with iCloud since it launched, not a one. iMessage has been great on my iPhone. I did get rid of the iMessage beta on my Mac because of bugs, but that's why it's a beta.

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
Found this little bit and thought it worth a chuckle:

Siri: The Horror Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KGSi0AoJYs&feature=player_embedded)

"We must kill the humans"

rdowns
Jun 20, 2012, 01:52 PM
Had some issues accessign iCloud.com but now seems resolved.

I am receiving a huge amout of spam today from my .mac address. Related?

hoofbite
Jun 20, 2012, 01:52 PM

Other reasons:
- Security

Great post, needs to be put at the top of every web page, broadcast on every channel, played on radio and signs made on the streets. Relying on Cloud storage is one of the dumbest ideas ever, there is no good in it.....I hope it doesn't become a worldwide thing.

If hospitals, law offices, the government, corporate and local business, banks, etc. all use cloud storage as their primary storage....then one outage and we are all ****ed.

Stick to local hard drives and paper.

Frenchjay
Jun 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
I had to restore my WIFI iPad a few weeks a go and couldn't because the activation server was down for most of the day.

Anyway, it seems the UK App Store is working ok. :)

Ashwood11
Jun 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
No problems for me in Washington State and I've been online all day.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
Stick to local hard drives and paper.

Sooooooo lets see, stick to local hard drives and paper and nothing else and then what happens when a fire/earthquake rolls through town??? x.x

Or do what most good IT depts do and HARNESS the cloud: beefy local storage for real time transactions on the local side, real time remote journaling 2x remote sites for disaster recovery (banks do 3x or more) and electronic vaulting for all that crap that we don't need to access on a regular basis at some underground data warehousing facility in the middle of nevada.

iCloud aint "the" cloud. It's a wonky platform that has it's share of problems. REAL cloud vendors/app devs are making strides in this space every day. BMC, ADP, SAP, Oracle etc

toshmac
Jun 20, 2012, 01:58 PM

Other reasons:
- Security

Good point about content access based on a company. Reminds me of when family members create an e-mail address tied to their ISP then throw a fit when they want to switch for a better deal and have to decouple from the previous company. However, I thought Apple's iCloud downloaded content to your devices locally when they have connectivity and Apple isn't experiencing server issues, and then if the service goes down you can still access what's been synced. Is that not the case? I understand the iMessage problem, but there's always SMS. I guess situations could arrise where an outage could prevent access to something you planned on being able to access with iCloud. I would think they have more redundancy then we'd ever have individually even with copious amounts of storage and backups.

Dionte
Oh nos I'm waiting for an email from someone about a gig, I hope it doesn't get lost.

nazaar
.... and so this is how it begins. Mark your calendars, this is the day Apple starts it's downfall.
One day a random outage, the next time total chaos.

And I agree with some previous posters... cloud computing is NOT the way to go.

Now if I could just remember my password to iCloud.

onepremiere
Jun 20, 2012, 01:59 PM
What. How awesome do people think a free service with no SLA is going to be? Who is storing critical files on here? There are vendors out there who are doing cloud based computing/SaaS very very well every day of the week. iCloud != industry leading 99.999% standards

I wasn't knocking any particular service. I speaking generally, and not just about computing. If you put a product from our generation next to say your father's or grandfather's generation, you will most certainly see a difference quality.

The point I tried to make was CYA, always cover your ass.

Fabricman112
Jun 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
This.

how can you NOT have it locally?? itīs great for syncing idevices, but Iīm quite certain you have your contact/gamesave/picture etc. somewhere locally :)
I actually pay for dev account and online storage, and as a customer I want to know whatīs wrong and when itīs solved..

onepremiere
Jun 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
And like not locking your doors, or fixing an alarm it's only after they have lost anything will they learn.

Touche, I've learned the hard way one too many times.

nunes013
Jun 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
i haven't had any problems here in the northeast US. iMessage was a little slow but did send. on engadget someone said facebook's data center in NC had problems too so maybe something is buggy down there.

It would be cool to see the monitoring system they have to tell them where the problem resides though

Illusion986
This would explain why I'm having iMessage problems this morning

verniesgarden

Honestly it really should just remind people how trivial everything we do really is. I guarantee 99.9999% of people don't have files that are at all critical. who's life was in the balance due not getting to iCloud? what company just went out of business because they couldn't access a spreadsheet at that exact moment?

alent1234
This.

are you on drugs? one of the things i learned in school 25 years ago is that new cars only last for no more than 5 years and don't ever buy a car built on Monday, tuesday, thursday or friday

bcfran
Jun 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
I had to speak to Apple Canada, and all day Monday and part of Tuesday they could not access their computers to check on the imei number on my cell phone. Yesterday late afternoon, Apples computer was up for them to check.

isoMorpheus
Jun 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
It's working quite swimmingly for moi.

sazivad
Jun 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
I love the highly informative number of users affected.
http://i.imgur.com/K6y0t.png

So Random
Jun 20, 2012, 02:06 PM

Other reasons:
- Security

You *should* have a local copy, like with Dropbox. Problem solved.

onepremiere
Jun 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
are you on drugs? one of the things i learned in school 25 years ago is that new cars only last for no more than 5 years and don't ever buy a car built on Monday, tuesday, thursday or friday

Huh? Yeah I've heard the term you've got a "Wednesday" engine, in reference to a engine that makes more power than the engine built behind it with indentical specs, but I do not know how that aligns with my questionable drug use or post?

Radio
Jun 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
glad i use gmail

icloud is cool for find my iphone

Hastings101
Jun 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
It was so awful, I couldn't update my Horoscope app for like five minutes :(

sirgromit
Jun 20, 2012, 02:08 PM

I've also been bombarded with spam since this morning. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

tigres
Jun 20, 2012, 02:09 PM

Tell me how email and iMessage are to be only handled locally please.
I personally could care less about documents in the "cloud", it's gimped anyway- when pdf's can't apply; forget using it.

alent1234
Jun 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
Huh? Yeah I've heard the term you've got a "Wednesday" engine, in reference to a engine that makes more power than the engine built behind it with indentical specs, but I do not know how that aligns with my questionable drug use or post?

this fantasy that stuff built 50 years ago was made better than today, is just a fantasy.

making stuff was more expensive and you had all kinds of repair shops because people fixed their things. today people just buy new. its cheaper and you get a newer product with more/better features

andiwm2003
Jun 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
i had slow access to email for several weeks now. intermittently it would take minutes for icloud email to refresh and emails would be delivered with minutes to hours delay. at the same time yahoo and google mail did work so it was not a connection problem.

this reminds me a bit of mobileme. i hope i'm wrong.

Fabricman112
Jun 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
I love the highly informative number of users affected.
Image (http://i.imgur.com/K6y0t.png)

exactly.. http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/ weīll fix this later :rolleyes:

Marx55
Jun 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
There is nothing like standalone content without requiring any external connection. Cloud whatever? No, thanks!

FrogsterDude
Jun 20, 2012, 02:13 PM
My connection to iMessage and the iTunes store is spotty. It works for minutes at a time then stops, then starts working again.

Currently iTunes Match is completely down. Rocklin, CA.

AR999
Jun 20, 2012, 02:13 PM
Wow, you would think all the services (icloud, imessage, itunes) would be independent on one another to prevent something like this happening.

Huge ******* up.

mrsir2009
Jun 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
iMessage is working for me... :confused: Is the rain of terror over?

quickmac
Jun 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
So what? It will be fixed pretty soon anyway. Apple is not a company that would have its services down for days.

Hahaha. Let's hope not. We've all seen how "quickly" Apple responds to security threats on OS X...sometimes weeks before a fix. Of course this outage will be fixed quick...how will people buy Apps and buy Apple items from the iPhone Apple Store App...when the dollar is on the line you're damn right Apple will have it fixed.

Anyways all is up and running here in Philadelphia.

onepremiere
Jun 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
this fantasy that stuff built 50 years ago was made better than today, is just a fantasy.

making stuff was more expensive and you had all kinds of repair shops because people fixed their things. today people just buy new. its cheaper and you get a newer product with more/better features

Point taken. Though extremely depressing. Buy, Replace, Replace, Replace.

Apple is doing it right IMO. I've got a G5 Tower for late 2004 that my Dad is still using today. Yeah he only uses it for email and the internet, but the fact that is has not had a single hick-up in almost 8 years? Those are the products I am going to buy. Not going to spend less, and repeat that cycle till you've exceeded the cost of a high quality product.

Fabricman112
Jun 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
actually all services are back online here in Sweden again... I guess I was unlucky to hit the 3h downtime or whatever
didnt even get annoyed haha

alent1234
Jun 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
Point taken. Though extremely depressing. Buy, Replace, Replace, Replace.

Apple is doing it right IMO. I've got a G5 Tower for late 2004 that my Dad is still using today. Yeah he only uses it for email and the internet, but the fact that is has not had a single hick-up in almost 8 years? Those are the products I am going to buy. Not going to spend less, and repeat that cycle till you've exceeded the cost of a high quality product.

i like apple, but i bought my father in law a $300 toshiba laptop. very well built and will probably last a long time as well. only reason i like MBP's is they are something nice to treat yourself. otherwise they don't do anything more than a cheaper laptop will do, except for gaming

vrDrew
Jun 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
Nothing like a minor (temporary) service interruption to bring out the Applehaters; conspiracy theorists; neo-Luddites; and cranks.

Being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream Call Me Maybe from your iCloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.

unplugme71
Jun 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
Lack of Reliability is the downside of "the cloud". If you can't get your files, your screwed. Mind you, so far, iCloud has been OK.

that's why there's something called file caching

----------

being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream call me maybe from your icloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.

:D

b-rad g
Jun 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
Never noticed anything here. Have been iMessaging, streaming iTunes Match and getting Mail all day long without so much as a hiccup.

joeshmo2010
Jun 20, 2012, 02:32 PM
No problems for me in Washington State and I've been online all day.
Where do you live? I live in Seattle and it hasn't been working at all

jamesarm97
Jun 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Kind of reminds me of the original iphone before there were apps and everything was "Web" based. I couldn't go into a grocery store and check my shopping list because of no coverage in the store.

trunten
Jun 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Fine for me (UK). Is the issue just in the US or more widespread?

parapup
Jun 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
Well, you do get to marvel at those shiny error messages - UX win:p

ade2bee
Jun 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
well I'm using a galaxy s2 to syc most of my important stuff over dropbox, wunderlist, evernote, whatsapp, skype with my iPad with loads more function as well... no probs

sascha h-k
Jun 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
dev was also down but now all went back to normal ..

iPhoneApple
Jun 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
never went down for me

digitalotto
Jun 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
been using everything all day and no issues

Kenn Marks
Jun 20, 2012, 02:43 PM
If this is what I have to look forward to in 10 Days, Whoa Is Me. Like others have said in this post I use this every hour of every day and can't afford to have mail as well as all it's other services down for more than a half hour. With a server farm that big they should have redundancy of redundancy both in hardware and with their data pipe sources. THe MobileMe Clock is ticking PLEASE Apple give me the warm fuzzies about making the switch. I bought a new MBA last Monday so my hardware is compatible and I'm moving my web sites and Public folders as I write, so I'm making preparations on my end. How about you Apple!!!:mad:

Wayne s
Jun 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
Dont know if this is connected but I have just been charged Ģ4.99 for updating an app. Anybody else had this before. I have reported the problem so I hope its sorted quickly.

I.Love.Apple
Jun 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
Nothing like a minor (temporary) service interruption to bring out the Applehaters; conspiracy theorists; neo-Luddites; and cranks.

Being without electricity or water for a couple of days is a problem. Not being able to stream Call Me Maybe from your iCloud account for a couple of hours? Not so much.

Are you suggesting that people should wait for a "permanent" interruption? This might take a while :confused:

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
exactly.. http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/ weīll fix this later :rolleyes:

Ahahaha since 1997!? Wow, and I'm surprised I have yet to see it. Thanks for the laugh :)

Jetson
Jun 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Everything Apple has been dead as a doornail for about 2 hours.

Seems to be coming back now - though still slow.

realeric
Jun 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Is the party over? I have no issues all day. :p

barkomatic
Jun 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
Honestly it really should just remind people how trivial everything we do really is. I guarantee 99.9999% of people don't have files that are at all critical. who's life was in the balance due not getting to iCloud? what company just went out of business because they couldn't access a spreadsheet at that exact moment?

It may be trivial from a life view perspective, but if you've stored something on the cloud that you need for a meeting and can't retrieve it-- then in the short term you are going to be very stressed. It's unlikely a company is going out of business, but what about my individual concerns? They don't matter?

I'm talking about cloud computing in general now--not specifically iCloud. I'm concerned that many device makers are just assuming everyone will work from the cloud and so we are seeing devices with 4GB of capacity.

This makes people not only reliant upon buggy cloud services (as has been demonstrated today) but sometimes forces the person to also rely on capped, expensive data consumption. If you're away from home how does it make sense to spend $20 in data to stream a movie you've already paid for?

Local storage is the most simple and reliable solution. There is a place for cloud services, but it is in addition to and not a replacement of local storage.

roadbloc
Jun 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
If Apple are to focus the new 'digital hub' as the cloud, It'd be nice if they made it reliable first.

Fabricman112
Jun 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
Ahahaha since 1997!? Wow, and I'm surprised I have yet to see it. Thanks for the laugh :)

I know.. Iīve been on the "internet" a looong time :D

rmwebs
Jun 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
This is the reason Apple suck at online services. You dont see these things happen as much with real clouds. Apple does not run a 'real cloud' as they only have one or two physical locations. They should have datacenters all over the globe, but they dont.

ALMF
Jun 20, 2012, 03:02 PM
i tried last night to take of the encryption on my iphone backup off and it would not accept the password at all. even though it is the correct password. maybe this it all tied together

sculpher
Jun 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Errr, no.

Why would I trust a 3rd party with my "only" copy or my "only" means to access my data? That would be beyond dumb.

Really? Because it looks like the above 'data' is stored via the Internet...

AR999
Jun 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
i tried last night to take of the encryption on my iphone backup off and it would not accept the password at all. even though it is the correct password. maybe this it all tied together

No

thomaus
Jun 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33999263/Screenshot-2012-06-20_16.10.26.png

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 03:14 PM
I know.. Iīve been on the "internet" a looong time :D

Seriously. I remember the days when email was a "new fad" and "Frontpage" and "Netscape" were cutting edge.

In a way, I miss those days, life seemed... simpler :p

AR999
Jun 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33999263/Screenshot-2012-06-20_16.10.26.png)

They have successfully demonstrated that they are not a business class or mission critical service and cannot be relied upon.

e-coli
Jun 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
This has been happening in NYC for about a week (iMessage in particular). Siri blackouts were baaaad last night.

Fabricman112
Jun 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Seriously. I remember the days when email was a "new fad" and "Frontpage" and "Netscape" were cutting edge.

In a way, I miss those days, life seemed... simpler :p

yeah good olīNetscape :) can not believe itīs 2012 sometimes
can you believe Iīve been a member on Giganews since 1994... crazy
my oldest kid is 16 and she sometimes asks crazy stuff about things she remembered on internet as a child

Rocketman
Jun 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
My entire problem with iWhatever is the single point of failure problem. Apple can solve this VERY easily. Have three distinctly different addresses the services can access through in every app, so if one is down the other two are there for failover. They can further be hardened by having 10-20 subsidiary sites that attach to mirrors dynamically as needed to assure 100% uptime.

The very fact this CAN happen is very bad. The fact this HAS happened is very, very bad. The fact it has happened and persists for more than a few minutes is a corporate emergency since all the iDevices are increasingly dependent on Apple's aspect of the network to function.

I would hate to see the entire world learn a hard lesson and switch to Google, Samsung, Microsoft or Oracle as a matter of basic survival.

Rocketman

Update 3: Roughly two hours after reports of the issues began surfacing, Apple now notes on its iCloud system status page that all services are back online.

pubwvj
Jun 20, 2012, 03:30 PM
One of the three reasons why I don't trust clouds.

----------

This is the reason Apple suck at online services. You dont see these things happen as much with real clouds.

Real clouds? Like Amazon or like the dedicated business cloud solution I use for our web servers? Get real. Both of those go down. Oh, they have excuses but the reality is there is no 99% uptime never mind 99.99% like they claim.

Blackforge
Jun 20, 2012, 03:32 PM
I would hate to see the entire world learn a hard lesson and switch to Google, Samsung, Microsoft or Oracle as a matter of basic survival.

Rocketman

Google and Microsoft both have had outages within the past year. So, unfortunately none of these services have been immune to outages.

koolmagicguy
Jun 20, 2012, 03:33 PM

It's the kind of company that should not have its services down at all.

thomaus
Jun 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
They have successfully demonstrated that they are not a business class or mission critical service and cannot be relied upon.

You obviously haven't used Microsoft Online Services (previously BPOS and currently Office 365). This sort of outage has been common over the past couple years for what Microsoft sells as a business class/mission critical service. Businesses pay for this on a monthly per-seat basis. And Microsoft prefers to hide their online status:
Microsoft Online Services (https://health.noam.microsoftonline.com)
Office 365 service health (https://portal.microsoftonline.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceStatus.aspx)

As a long-time MobileMe sufferer, I was hoping the intermittent interruptions and slowness would go away with iCloud. The overall speed is noticeably improved. Today, I noticed the outage when Mail hung up at one point. I refreshed the browser to no avail. The login appeared at some point later. Maybe 10 minutes? Everything seemed normal after logging back in. I didn't know it was a global problem until checking Macrumors later. But then, MobileMe trained me to expect this.

ALMF
Jun 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
No

worst reply ever!!

jazz1
Jun 20, 2012, 03:49 PM

I noticed a huge amount of SPAM coming through, three or four at a time. Oddly I also lost my university Exchange e-mail which I know has nothing to do with iCloud or Apple. So I had no e-mail after the SPAM attack.

Piggie
Jun 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
Really? Because it looks like the above 'data' is stored via the Internet...

Ohhh, well, I think I can just about survive without being able to view a posting to a forum :rolleyes:

I'd hardly call typing on a forum (chat) as important data you should back up!

rmwebs
Jun 20, 2012, 03:54 PM
One of the three reasons why I don't trust clouds.

----------

Real clouds? Like Amazon or like the dedicated business cloud solution I use for our web servers? Get real. Both of those go down. Oh, they have excuses but the reality is there is no 99% uptime never mind 99.99% like they claim.

You really dont get it do you.

Apple Cloud (lets call it 'Cloud A') - One datacenter in the US.
Other (e.g Amazon) Cloud ('Cloud B') - 15+ Datacenters (note: as of 2010) located across the globe.

Here's the difference. A network issue or power issue that breaks the backup supply at 'Cloud A' takes out the entire network.

A network or power issue with 'Cloud B' takes out one of many datacenters, meaning everyone who would normally connect to the inaccessible datacenter, get offloaded to another datacenter. The theory here is that it significantly reduces the risk of an outage.

Obviously with ANY cloud from ANY provider there WILL always be outages, but as it stands, Apples cloud is not anywhere near being as reliable or stable as their rivals. While its certainly getting a hell of a lot better, outside the US transfer speeds can still be laggy and poor.

Eric S.
Jun 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
Heh. I sync my data myself. It takes me all of a couple minutes to do, and I don't have to depend on the network and somebody's cloud service, nor worry about my data being compromised.

SpyderBite
Jun 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
Heh. This reminds me of 1978 when the cable went out for an hour after two weeks of service. My dad spent 3 hours setting up the rabbit ears antenna. The cable had come back up two hours earlier. I still remember him exclaiming "This is why we should have just stayed with network television!".

Cling to your static data. The rest of us who aren't afraid of change will still be here when you catch up. :)

thomaus
Jun 20, 2012, 04:05 PM

Other (e.g Amazon) Cloud ('Cloud B') - 15+ Datacenters (note: as of 2010) located across the globe.

Here's the difference. A network issue or power issue that breaks the backup supply at 'Cloud A' takes out the entire network.

A network or power issue with 'Cloud B' takes out one of many datacenters, meaning everyone who would normally connect to the inaccessible datacenter, get offloaded to another datacenter. The theory here is that it significantly reduces the risk of an outage.

Obviously with ANY cloud from ANY provider there WILL always be outages, but as it stands, Apples cloud is not anywhere near being as reliable or stable as their rivals. While its certainly getting a hell of a lot better, outside the US transfer speeds can still be laggy and poor.

Huh? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=ca&tbm=nws&q=amazon+cloud+outage&oq=amazon+cloud+outage)

"Amazon has explained why its cloud service failed on Thursday. Blame the power,"
"Amazon traces cloud outage to faulty breaker‎"
"Amazon Cloud Outage Caused by 'Cable Fault'‎"

I think you picked an awkward example.

Eric S.
Jun 20, 2012, 04:05 PM
Cling to your static data. The rest of us who aren't afraid of change will still be here when you catch up. :)

What static data? My data changes all the time, I just don't depend on a data center thousands of miles away for storage and access, because I carry it with me and keep it backed up myself in the unlikely case it is lost or stolen.

yeah
Jun 20, 2012, 04:08 PM

Other reasons:
- Security

Some reasons cloud storage is a good idea:

- If your Mac/PC fails, you have instant backups in the cloud (for iOS devices)
- iCloud is free
- When you are away from your Mac/PC, you can restore important things from your iCloud account

Cloud computing IS the future. In fact, Nvidia is developing a cloud graphics card that can send graphics data to devices like tablets and computers. (Play Black Ops on an iPad?)

sculpher
Jun 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
This has been happening in NYC for about a week (iMessage in particular). Siri blackouts were baaaad last night.

I hate to troll - but...

Wow. "I remember the rolling Siri blackouts of 2012. Thousands of whining self-absorbed 20-somethings roaming the streets unable to see whether it was going to rain or where their next sushi was going to come from. It was hell."

skywalkerr69
Jun 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
Time to give up on iPhone because they fail for one day in five years. Yep!

I was just stating it reminded me of something. Don't get so PMS on me. Shouldn't you be blogging about how hard it is to cope with menopause?

impaler
Jun 20, 2012, 04:35 PM

Hey, for you people that think Apple should have 100% uptime for a free consumer service, here's the deal: they will be the first to tell you they're not business-class. They're not mission critical. Read the terms and conditions service for iCloud. It is specific. It only commits to best attempts at service. It's for consumers.

Folks, read the iCloud terms and conditions carefully. Understand what it is - and what it is NOT.

http://www.apple.com/legal/icloud/en/terms.html

Specifically: YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. APPLE AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN PARTICULAR, APPLE AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT (I) THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (II) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE TIMELY, UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; (III) ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED BY YOU AS A RESULT OF THE SERVICE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; AND (IV) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED TO YOU AS PART OF THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED.

APPLE DOES NOT REPRESENT OR GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE FREE FROM LOSS, CORRUPTION, ATTACK, VIRUSES, INTERFERENCE, HACKING, OR OTHER SECURITY INTRUSION, AND APPLE DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY RELATING THERETO.

Gang, I'm no lawyer, and I don't work for Apple. They're only providing a CONSUMER service as is, and if something doesn't work right, it's free and they are within their legal rights to fix it or not fix it. PR is going to dictate this response. This service is for consumers, not for businesses...and there's no uptime dictated by terms of service, nor functionality implied.

100% uptime is just not realistic with any cloud service. Anything less than that seems unacceptable to some of you...and I think you don't work in IT.

bedifferent
Jun 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
I hate to troll - but...

Wow. "I remember the rolling Siri blackouts of 2012. Thousands of whining self-absorbed 20-somethings roaming the streets unable to see whether it was going to rain or where their next sushi was going to come from. It was hell."

LOL I'm sorry that's hilarious (and a sad commentary on our modern day society). I tend to picture scenarios when described, that was a good one. :)

Rot'nApple
Jun 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
Oops... Looks like an actual cloud floated over Apple's solar powered (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/144103/apples-north-carolina-solar-fuel-cell-plants-will-be-largest-of-their-kind) server farm at Maiden, NC, and put 'em iCloud out of action for a spell! :D

Yea, Go Solar! :rolleyes:
/
/
/

danrad
Jun 20, 2012, 04:50 PM
Just tried to send two texts via iMessage. No luck.

Flitzy
Jun 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
glad i use gmail

icloud is cool for find my iphone

Gmail had a significant outage a week or so ago, too.

slrandall
Jun 20, 2012, 05:10 PM
Still not resolved.

Trying to buy the Gods & Kings expansion pack for Civ V; the store keeps telling me that my card is invalid. The grocery store I just got back from disagrees.

sculpher
Jun 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
LOL I'm sorry that's hilarious (and a sad commentary on our modern day society). I tend to picture scenarios when described, that was a good one. :)

I aim to please. It was more for entertainment purposes than criticism.

Bubba Satori
Jun 20, 2012, 05:22 PM
Thank goodness these iGadgets were designed with miniscule storage,
no way to expand storage and no ports to do highspeed local back ups.
Sometimes innovation is just inconvenient.

----------

Gmail had a significant outage a week or so ago, too.

So you're say that everybody's junk is junk?
That the simple and it just works stuff is just as bad as everything else?
Except some people amusingly pay more for it?
Do you really want to do that?

808?
Jun 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Computer says No

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/G_L/Li_Lp/LittleBritainUSA/season1/little-britain-usa1.jpg

ALMF
Jun 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
No

as it turns out, it was the issues at Apple that caused my password problems with encryption backups last night and this morning.

u should not be so quick to post a reply next time. 2+2 = 4 not 3 or 5

louis Fashion
Jun 20, 2012, 06:02 PM

Other reasons:
- Security

You forgot to mention EMP. Although if we get nuked I would guess no one will care.

----------

Down here for me too. I sent a message to my wife on her @me.com account and it says it can't deliver it. But sending it to her to her iPhone account sends a text message via the AT&T Text messaging service...which is "green" on the iPhone iMessage app...so it just cost me .25 cents to send it when normally it would be free.

WTF is going on?

.25 for one text msg?

Glassed Silver
Jun 20, 2012, 06:17 PM

I wish more people thought like that... :(

Glassed Silver:mac

Wild-Bill
Jun 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
Total FAIL. MobileMe REDUX.

AR999
Jun 20, 2012, 06:36 PM
as it turns out, it was the issues at Apple that caused my password problems with encryption backups last night and this morning.

u should not be so quick to post a reply next time. 2+2 = 4 not 3 or 5

No it wasn't. Decryption is done locally.

babyj
Jun 20, 2012, 06:46 PM

Do you actually have insider knowledge of the configuration of the Apple systems or are you just assuming based on things you've read on forums and rumour websites?

Whilst there may only be one or two Apple owned data centres I would be amazed if they weren't using additional facilities to spread the load or replicate for failover. Plus we know for a fact that at least some part of iCloud runs on Amazon and Microsoft clouds and that the majority if not all of content delivery is provided by Akamai.

I've never seen anything to suggest Apple's online services are any less reliable than others either. Google and Amazon have had some pretty bad outages over the last year or two, far worse than anything Apple have experienced.

Part of the problem with very cheap cloud services (such as iCloud) is that it simply wouldn't be cost effective to provide the highest level of fault tolerance as that kind of tech is very, very expensive. Last time I checked the VMware bells and whistles package cost around $20k a server.

ALMF
Jun 20, 2012, 07:44 PM
No it wasn't. Decryption is done locally.

so ur saying, that my encrypted backups on icloud are pass-worded locally? that would make no sense. why then would u backup to icloud, if u need to be at ur local pc with itunes to access them?

e-coli
Jun 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
Total FAIL. MobileMe REDUX.

Jeez. Exaggerate much?

----------

I hate to troll - but...

Heh. Nice one. :)

JAT
Jun 20, 2012, 08:52 PM

While I'm sure Amazon has more than Apple, Apple has more than 1. Don't know how they structure data flow and location, though.

diamond.g
Jun 20, 2012, 08:53 PM
.25 for one text msg?
They pay per text.

AidenShaw
Jun 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
so ur saying, that my encrypted backups on icloud are pass-worded locally? that would make no sense. why then would u backup to icloud, if u need to be at ur local pc with itunes to access them?

The local credentials are used - so that identifying yourself with the proper credentials is all that is needed.

Any secure cloud service will encrypt at the source - the clear text is never on the wires or across the cloud servers.

Even using SSL or similar encryption on the wire isn't secure - the clear text will be visible on the server even if the server does strong encryption before sending it to persistent storage.

You do not want the cloud to be able to see your data.

faroZ06
Jun 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
My iMessage only works 10% of the time anyway. I got iMessage as soon as they released it, and it's never been reliable.

Since we got an unlimited ripoff texting plan just for my grandma and mom, I just use SMS because iMessage rarely works.

----------

While I'm sure Amazon has more than Apple, Apple has more than 1. Don't know how they structure data flow and location, though.

I get 30mbps when downloading stuff from iTunes. Apple servers are fast for iTunes at least.

Stella
Jun 20, 2012, 11:29 PM
that's why there's something called file caching

----------

:D

File caching only works if the device your using has updated itself with the latest files....

Arelunde
Jun 20, 2012, 11:49 PM
After receiving and writing several emails this morning, suddenly error messages appeared that the server couldn't be found/connected. Spent at least two hours troubleshooting (Apple's website still referred to a resolved outage several months ago).
Gave up after multiple resets of all Mac & iOS devices, plus some app deletions . FINALLY, an admission that the Apple iCloud servers were down.
Wish that had been posted earlier - before I spent enough time trying to fix it that I had to "undo" my fixes later.
However, this is a reminder that local backup and storage for critical data is way more reliable than any cloud, although using both could be an advantage. Depends on what is being stored where.

madmin
Jun 21, 2012, 01:29 AM
Perhaps thousands of developers trying to download dozens of wwdc videos had something to do with this ? In any case, it's not been possible for me to view any of them since they were posted on-line...

rmwebs
Jun 21, 2012, 03:42 AM
Do you actually have insider knowledge of the configuration of the Apple systems or are you just assuming based on things you've read on forums and rumour websites?

Whilst there may only be one or two Apple owned data centres I would be amazed if they weren't using additional facilities to spread the load or replicate for failover. Plus we know for a fact that at least some part of iCloud runs on Amazon and Microsoft clouds and that the majority if not all of content delivery is provided by Akamai.

I've never seen anything to suggest Apple's online services are any less reliable than others either. Google and Amazon have had some pretty bad outages over the last year or two, far worse than anything Apple have experienced.

Part of the problem with very cheap cloud services (such as iCloud) is that it simply wouldn't be cost effective to provide the highest level of fault tolerance as that kind of tech is very, very expensive. Last time I checked the VMware bells and whistles package cost around $20k a server.

Yes, you are correct that they use another cloud, however it was being phased out in favor of their own. They used to use Akami for the iTunes content hosting. However AppStore content is now on the iCloud network, and its likely that most of the iTunes content is - for this usage it isnt too bad as you're only storing content, its when you start putting EVERYTHING in that location that it becomes a major issue. The Apple site (and online store) is still on Akami.

We obviously now know that ALL of the authentication and data retrieval systems are on iCloud otherwise some parts would have still been accessible.

You have to agree though, having absolutely everything hosted in one location is not ideal, which is what Apple is (hopefully temporarily) doing here.

The outage affected literally everything:
- iTunes Store
- Apple ID authentication (meaning that even though the store was online, you wouldn't have been able to login or purchase anything)
- iCloud (Mail/PhotoStream/etc)
- Facetime
- Siri
- Location Services
- iOS6 Maps

This is a problem, and will continue to be a problem and a big weakness until Apple get at least 2 more decent datacenters setup outside the US to act as a failover and load distribution system.

The only reason they bothered building a datacenter was because it worked out cheaper than using a 3rd party, mainly due to the huge tax break they were given. That wont happen elsewhere, so they have little to no incentive to improve the network now.

babyj
Jun 21, 2012, 04:40 AM
We obviously now know that ALL of the authentication and data retrieval systems are on iCloud otherwise some parts would have still been accessible.

You have to agree though, having absolutely everything hosted in one location is not ideal, which is what Apple is (hopefully temporarily) doing here.

The outage affected literally everything:
- iTunes Store
- Apple ID authentication (meaning that even though the store was online, you wouldn't have been able to login or purchase anything)
- iCloud (Mail/PhotoStream/etc)
- Facetime
- Siri
- Location Services
- iOS6 Maps

This is a problem, and will continue to be a problem and a big weakness until Apple get at least 2 more decent datacenters setup outside the US to act as a failover and load distribution system.

Again, what is your evidence for saying Apple use only one data centre and that everything is hosted in it creating a single point of failure?

The most obvious explanation for this outage was a problem with the Apple user authentication system, which could have been caused by plenty of things other than a system outage - user error, configuration, planned change etc.

NightFox
Jun 21, 2012, 04:42 AM
One of my children is off school today, and lots of games on her iPod are currently crashing on loading, these are all online 'freemium' type of games (e.g. Snoopy Street Fair, Ice Age), just tried on the wife's iPad and it's the same: I'm guessing this is also somehow related to this outage - maybe some problem with the game accessing the App Store servers to check in-game purchases etc?

gabibbo69
Jun 21, 2012, 04:45 AM
Good day all,
I live in Italy and iMessage is still not working here. :confused:

rmwebs
Jun 21, 2012, 06:03 AM
Again, what is your evidence for saying Apple use only one data centre and that everything is hosted in it creating a single point of failure?

The most obvious explanation for this outage was a problem with the Apple user authentication system, which could have been caused by plenty of things other than a system outage - user error, configuration, planned change etc.

My evidence is actually very simple. Trace your network while it loads itunes, or when you connect via facetime, it'll point you in the right direction. All IP's are resolving to Apple's DC in North Carolina. Some front facing sites (e.g itunes.com) resolve to Apple servers in California, however these are only located on Apple property, which doesn't house a proper DC capable of much more than a standard website. The second you download anything from iTunes, the connection moves across the US to North Carolina. A couple of items tested seemed to still go via servers in NYC, which would be the Akami network. This happened when I tried grabbing a podcast.

Run a network monitoring tool and you'll see the results. Not sure why you're making this out to be some sort of huge conspiracy tho. Apple is obviously in the middle of a transition to the new location, and it looks like most of the content is now in the new DC. Obviously Siri and Facetime are already there.

scorwitz
Jun 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Reason number 87 not to put your necessary information in the Cloud... :eek:

ristlin
Jun 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
Errr, no.

You use e-mail? Some of your data is most definitely stored on the Internet.

As for trusting a third-party with your only copy and/or means to data? I don't blame you, I am not too happy about that either. But that's just how the Internet works. You "trust" a third-party to give you access to the Internet, after all.

nrodriguez55
Jun 21, 2012, 10:14 AM
This problem with connecting to iCloud has been happening for quite some time now. For months connections to the service have been sporadic, sometimes working with no problem at all to just plain not working..on ANYTHING..
Sometimes it works only on my cell android cell phone or iPad and not on my Mac computers, sometimes one certain computers and not cell phones...etc, etc...

Apple needs to fix whatever is causing this. I have been paying the annual fee for my mac account for years now and this is the first time I have actually encountered ANY problems with it..I will not continue to pay it if this is the kind of thing I can expect from iCloud.

My guess is that Apple jumped the gun on their cloud services and don't really have a firm grip on how to properly utilize it yet...has anybody used the iTunes Match service?? I'm paying the fee for that and am beginning to regret it.
When the music actually streams (and it is rare that it does so without buffering) the album artwork does not come on...
LOTS of bugs to work out, Apple..

AR999
Jun 21, 2012, 10:21 AM

Please fully correct your grammar and I will respond to any points you raise.

SeattleMoose
Jun 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
is being exposed.

Wait until the privacy issues start to surface.

Where are all the cloud fanboyz now?:p

JarScott
Jun 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
Recipients weren't receiving iCloud emails for a short while too. I couldn't work out why an email I repeatedly sent to a friend wasn't appearing in their sent box.