PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Smaller iOS Device Dock Connector Said to Include 19 Pins

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/21/apples-smaller-ios-device-dock-connector-said-to-include-19-pins/)

Back in February, iMore reported that Apple was working on a smaller dock connector (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/23/apple-readying-miniaturized-dock-connector-for-future-iphones/) for its iOS devices, seeking to shave the size of the current 30-pin connector in order to allow its devices to shrink further and to provide space for other components.

Rumors of the smaller dock connector have persisted in the months since, and with claimed rear shells (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/29/claimed-rear-shell-with-sides-for-next-generation-iphone-surfaces/) for the next-generation iPhone showing a smaller opening for the dock connector it does appear that Apple will be rolling out the new design with its next iOS device launch.

TechCrunch now reports (http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/20/confirmed-the-new-iphone-will-have-a-19-pin-mini-connector/) that it is hearing more about the smaller connector, including word that it will include 19 pins for connectivity.Although the form factor and actual size are still unknown, TechCrunch has independently verified that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port, replacing the current 30-pin port, to the new iPhone. It is a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.TechCrunch's report comes as Mobile Fun shares (http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2012/06/iphone-5-case-image-leaks-confirm-final-design/) several case drawings and renderings from a case manufacturer who is betting that the parts leaked so far will prove to be genuine.One manufacturer we spoke to said that he was sure that the leaked images were accurate - so sure that he was already preparing to construct iPhone 5 cases and he'd be willing to ship replacements for free if they turned out not to be perfect. He enumerated three big changes from the old iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5:

1. The phone is much bigger, measuring 58.47 mm wide, 123.83 mm high and 7.6 mm thin. The screen is 4.
2. The earphone jack has been relocated to the bottom of the phone.
3. The dock connector is much smaller, similar in size to micro USB.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/iphone_2012_case_design.jpg

Based on the post, the drawings and renderings seem to have been created by the case manufacturer as it works to design its cases for the already-leaked form factor, and thus do not appear to be actual design leaks from Apple's supply chain.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/iphone_2012_case_render.jpg

Case designs were of course one of the primary sources for rumors of a dramatic "iPhone 5" redesign last year, a design that did not come to pass as Apple kept the basic iPhone 4 form factor and instead upgraded the internals to yield the iPhone 4S.

But the situation is different this year, with the rumors being driven by what appear to be legitimate leaks of actual parts and case manufacturers now responding to those leaks rather than driving the rumors themselves in the absence of part evidence as they did last year.

Update: Robert Scoble has added his thoughts (http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/20/confirmed-the-new-iphone-will-have-a-19-pin-mini-connector/?fb_comment_id=fbc_10151072215241349_24489343_10151073522436349#ffc02d19c) in a comment on TechCrunch's post, claiming that he has learned from an industry contact that Apple's new dock connector will be magnetic much like the MagSafe connector used on Mac notebooks and that it will include chips to verify licensing of accessories to be used with the devices.

Article Link: Apple's Smaller iOS Device Dock Connector Said to Include 19 Pins (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/21/apples-smaller-ios-device-dock-connector-said-to-include-19-pins/)

Grimace
Jun 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
Just don't make the back out of glass! Why have both sides shattered when just the front will do ;)

fins831
Jun 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
Glad I didn't buy any accessories for my 4S yet, now I will just wait and get the new phone, problem solved.

Benjamins
Jun 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
the "iPod" connector as been the same for more than 10 years already. Change is just a matter of time.

Widashy
Jun 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Deja vu, all over again.
But this time this rumor may be true.
Let the leaks begin..

clibinarius
Jun 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
It makes sense, if they're going USB 3, why not change it already? Especially with Ivy Bridge...

I wish it is MicroUSB though. A universal connection would be lovely.

iEnvy
Jun 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
Seems all the rumors are coming together.

Brian Buttplug
Jun 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

LimeiBook86
Jun 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
Come to think of it, it does make sense that Apple could do with less pins this time around. When the first dock connector came out it was sending USB, FireWire, Audio and Power signals over one cable. Times have changed and it makes sense to refresh the connector... even if it means everyone has to go out and buy new cables/adapters/accessories.

I'm just hoping there will be a 30-pin (old style) to 19-pin (new style) adapter! Even if just for charging the device.

Tinyluph
Jun 20, 2012, 11:29 PM
Just don't make the back out of glass! Why have both sides shattered when just the front will do ;)

I must be the only one that likes the glass back. The thing is glass doesn't scratch the way metals do, but is far more appealing to the touch than plastic. The whole glass shattering thing doesn't make a difference to me because I never want my phone to drop anyways. Reducing the chance that you'll damage something to a coin toss doesn't make dropping it any less disastrous in my eyes.

b166er
Jun 20, 2012, 11:31 PM
I am still not adjusted to the idea of a stretched iPhone 4 but I'll wait until I see some real specs to judge.

As far as a smaller dock, I was ready for that 5 years ago.

MultiMediaWill
Jun 20, 2012, 11:32 PM
I hope that's actually a USB port. That would be ideal.

GREEN4U
Jun 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
I honestly think this will be the first Mag-safe Thunderbolt port.

KPJLK
Jun 20, 2012, 11:39 PM
Given the age of the dock connector and that after all this time not all of the pins/channels are utilised, combined with the standardisation of USB charging and the advent of AirPlay, is it not possible that Apple might have decided that now is the moment to phase it out and move to docking via Micro USB (3, even), with analogue audio and composite video output through the now adjacent 3.5mm socket?

swingerofbirch
Jun 20, 2012, 11:49 PM
Apple uses standard ports on its Macs (Thunderbolt, USB, etc) but not the iPhone.

I wonder if it could have to do with the loyalties Apple charges for devices that interact with the dock connector (Made for iPhone program)? From what I understand, developers don't have to pay royalties for things like cases, but they do have to pay royalties for things that connect to the dock connector, which I imagine Apple is allowed to do because the dock connector is proprietary. If Apple were to use a standard like USB, I don't think Apple could continue to require accessory manufacturers to pay Apple royalties.

I could be wrong about this, please correct me if I am.

pezj
Jun 20, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm just hoping there will be a 30-pin (old style) to 19-pin (new style) adapter! Even if just for charging the device.

Seems a bit much. Why not just get a new usb to apple port cable?

Michael Scrip
Jun 20, 2012, 11:53 PM

Think about boomboxes and other accessories that use the 30-pin connector.

class77
Jun 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
ACtually, that's what I've been thinking since I saw the first drawings and then again when I saw the new MagSafe 2 at WWDC. If they are going to make a change, why not just make it a mini-USB like every other phone manufacturer.

I think of all the money I will have to spend on new stereo connectors and power adaptors, I get really bummed

Frankied22
Jun 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thousands of accessories become useless in 3...2...1...

And what's with the headphone jack being on the bottom? Why make such a silly change?

Ajones330
Jun 21, 2012, 12:10 AM
I'm ready for change... Let's hope for speed increase with the new connector:cool:

drewisanapple
Jun 21, 2012, 12:18 AM
I'm surprised there's no "Mobile MagSafe", makes much more since for the magnet design in a phone setting. I always trip over mine, or am pulling to hard and ware my cords out.

illegalprelude
Jun 21, 2012, 12:18 AM
I'm ready for change... Let's hope for speed increase with the new connector:cool:

Yes please. Syncing a 64GB iPhone is not fun

jpine
Jun 21, 2012, 12:19 AM
I guess my iHome clock won't work on the new iPhone. :(

sushant08
Jun 21, 2012, 12:20 AM
I think the new iPhone would be similar to the current retina macbook pro annoucement ,first they'll uprgrade the current iphone a bit maybe lte,nfc,ios6 and then introduce "the next generation iPhone" which will be bigger,more powerful etc and maybe some killer feature.This way they keep everyone happy and can keep next-gen iPhone at higher pricing.

macUser2007
Jun 21, 2012, 12:21 AM
Uhm..., why not a Micro USB?

So I can charge my camera, another phone if I need to, or anything else that uses the ubiquitous Micro USB, all with ONE cable?

I thought the EU was going to beat it out of Apple, but instead they just offered a USB adapter.

BvizioN
Jun 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
And what's with the headphone jack being on the bottom? Why make such a silly change?

That's where heaphone jack should have been at the very begining. At the bottom.

rei101
Jun 21, 2012, 12:26 AM

It will brake and you will need to get Apple Care.

WatchTheThrone
Jun 21, 2012, 12:27 AM
15 pin would of sounded cooler on stage!! "we have a new dock connector which uses half the pins as our old one, and with twice the speed".

I think this is pretty much confirmed as there seems to be several leaks already. Also the headphone jack on bottom is cool but the speaker grill and microphone grill seem to not be of same length which irks my OCD!!

Crzyrio
Jun 21, 2012, 12:29 AM

So I can charge my camera, another phone if I need to, or anything else that uses the ubiquitous Micro USB, all with ONE cable?

I thought the EU was going to beat it out of Apple, but instead they just offered a USB adapter.

Because a 30 or 19 pin dock connector will be able to do so much more than a Micro USB.

skellener
Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 AM
I welcome a brand new connector.

But please get rid of the whole concept of "pins". They suck!!!

How about a magsafe connector that simply connects just like the magsafe on the laptops but also does data as well as power? I never want to have to squeeze another set of pins on an iOS device ever again! It's lame. Let the magnets line up and connect the device. It's so slick for laptops, I don't see why you couldn't use it for the iPhone/iPad. :)

KPJLK
Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 AM

Moving the 3.5mm socket to the bottom, adjacent to what might turn out to be a micro-USB3 socket, allows it to become part of the new docking arrangement, providing audio/video output and physical support.

skellener
Jun 21, 2012, 12:41 AM
Moving the 3.5mm socket to the bottom, adjacent to what might turn out to be a micro-USB3 socket, allows it to become part of the new docking arrangement, providing audio/video output and physical support. Don't you already have audio/video output through the dock connector? The idea of the 3.5mm is mainly for headphones. If it's on the bottom, it's blocked if it's in some sort of dock like device.

Hodar1
Jun 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
If the back is all Aluminum, and the front is Gorilla Glass 2; why do I need a case?

the8thark
Jun 21, 2012, 12:43 AM
Please make the back out of glass. Why have the back all scratched up (with no glass) when with glass it can be scratch free.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2012, 12:44 AM
If the back is all Aluminum, and the front is Gorilla Glass 2; why do I need a case?

To protect he camera lens which is made of cheap easily scrachable plastic?

nikhsub1
It won't be an iPhone 5. Ever.

JohnDoe98

How about a magsafe connector that simply connects just like the magsafe on the laptops but also does data as well as power? I never want to have to squeeze another set of pins on an iOS device ever again! It's lame. Let the magnets line up and connect the device. It's so slick for laptops, I don't see why you couldn't use it for the iPhone/iPad. :)

Sounds expensive

skellener
Jun 21, 2012, 12:47 AM
Sounds expensiveApple is a premium brand. They already make hardware with magsafe connectors. Shouldn't take much to adapt it to an iOS device. Can't imagine it would cost that much. Sure would work better than "pins".

Prother
Jun 21, 2012, 12:48 AM
Maybe a risk by the case maker in regards to the device size, but no bold statement in saying the dock connector is changing.

Look at the bottom of his case, the large opening is inviting of either a smaller dock connector or the same old one.

Therefore, regardless of if the connector changes, doesn't look like he'll have to be refunding anyone.

skellener
Jun 21, 2012, 12:50 AM
To protect he camera lens which is made of cheap easily scrachable plastic? The lens is plastic, yet the back of the very droppable device is glass.:rolleyes:

acslater017
Jun 21, 2012, 12:53 AM
I must be the only one that likes the glass back. The thing is glass doesn't scratch the way metals do, but is far more appealing to the touch than plastic. The whole glass shattering thing doesn't make a difference to me because I never want my phone to drop anyways. Reducing the chance that you'll damage something to a coin toss doesn't make dropping it any less disastrous in my eyes.

I enjoy the glass back of the iPhone 4/S as well. Like you said, it's scratch resistant and pleasing to the touch. I think people just accept that displays have a sensitive side and a "tougher" side. TVs, monitors, laptops - people know that if the front gets smashed, they're in trouble. But constructing both sides out of smash-able material brought the sensitivity to a whole other level. A more durable back material would be a welcome change IMO. 50-50 is certainly better than near-certain.

Sith Vol
Jun 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Maybe a risk by the case maker in regards to the device size, but no bold statement in saying the dock connector is changing.

Look at the bottom of his case, the large opening is inviting of either a smaller dock connector or the same old one.

Therefore, regardless of if the connector changes, doesn't look like he'll have to be refunding anyone.

I think he chose to do that because there was no space to make separators like you see on current iPhone cases. Headphone jack, 2 speaker grills, dock connector all crammed into one area of the phone now. Not a lot of room for plastic dividers.

acslater017
Jun 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
Apple is a premium brand. They already make hardware with magsafe connectors. Shouldn't take much to adapt it to an iOS device. Can't imagine it would cost that much. Sure would work better than "pins".

Yea but everything with a MagSafe weighs at least 1.08 kg (11-inch MBA). For a MagSafe to work on an iPhone (140 g), the magnet would have to be super weak. As awesome as an iOS device MagSafe would be, dunno if that would work.

Lynn Belvedere
Jun 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
This is the absolute lamest piece of "news" I have ever seen on this site. I can't imagine a single person who would care in the slightest about this.

acslater017
Jun 21, 2012, 01:00 AM

I don't think Gorilla Glass 2 is that much stronger. I think it's like 20% stronger or so?

IMO, they should just drop all their prototypes from 4 feet up, face down, on concrete. If it shatters, increase the thickness of the glass. I'm not saying it has to be indestructible (people need to take care of their gadgets), but a simple drop from a few feet up shouldn't destroy the entire front...

downpour
Jun 21, 2012, 01:01 AM

We need an adaptor that will fit into the dock on top of a stereo etc, so you can then attach the new iDevice.

JesterJJZ
Jun 21, 2012, 01:05 AM
Moving the 3.5mm socket to the bottom, adjacent to what might turn out to be a micro-USB3 socket, allows it to become part of the new docking arrangement, providing audio/video output and physical support.

That would be a step backward. Also, the micro-USB3 connector is probably the worst connector I've ever seen. Given how recently its been introduced, I've never seen more broken ports/connectors ever.

Colpeas
Jun 21, 2012, 01:12 AM
I didn't like the design at first, but now I am starting to like it. Change of the dock connector is inevitable, the problem is that it will take some time for accessory makers introduce selection of accessories as wide as for the current 30-pin connector. I hope, it will be worth it (thunderbolt / USB3 support) at the end of the day...

Now, what bugs me is the headphone jack - why not on the top?

SlowCarBoost
Jun 21, 2012, 01:13 AM
I still don't believe that these leaks are legit...not one bit. This is not enough of a design change. It still looks like the 4/4S. If iOS 6 is not a major leap(which it's not), then the phone has to be fresh. These leaks are lazy and I have more confidence in Apple than to believe that these leaks are real. I like the design of the 4 but it's time for a redesign. Apple has Samsung breathing down their neck now and they know it. Jony Ive has something better than this up his sleeve.

KPJLK
Jun 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
Don't you already have audio/video output through the dock connector? The idea of the 3.5mm is mainly for headphones. If it's on the bottom, it's blocked if it's in some sort of dock like device.

IF the new dock changes to micro-USB, the 3.5mm socket could contribute the direct audio/video ouput that USB can't. When docking, the bottom of the iPhone would mate with both a USB plug and 3.5mm plug (which would also keep it upright). Older iPods used to output composite video through the headphone socket, so it might seem like a strange step backwards, but also possible and practical. I'm speculating, but not entirely irrationally.

varera
Jun 21, 2012, 01:15 AM
damn it, apple

now i have to change all connectors in the car, at home and in the office? and all docks, chargers and cables are no longer compatible.

hate it!

Chundles
Jun 21, 2012, 01:16 AM
It'd be cool if it could charge from micro-USB but do all the cool AV stuff from dock accessories.

That way you could just grab a generic micro-USB charger if you were in a bind and needed to charge your phone.

Would also mean one less cable in the bag.

Michael Scrip
Jun 21, 2012, 01:23 AM

Apple could do something similar to this.

You could use a standard MicroUSB cable for charging and data... plus have the additional pins for other stuff when you use the Apple cable.

That would solve the EU problem... and still allows for further capability. The only question is if Apple could cram all 19 pins into a plug this size.

But MicroUSB should be incorporated somehow into the new design... if for nothing else besides charging and data.

If Apple changes the dock connector at all... we're gonna have to deal with the issues of older 30-pin accessories. So if they are gonna make any change... they better make it worth it. MicroUSB would be a nice addition.

http://caltechcomputer.com/images/cable-usb3saub.jpg

Prother
Jun 21, 2012, 01:27 AM
I still don't believe that these leaks are legit...not one bit. This is not enough of a design change. It still looks like the 4/4S. If iOS 6 is not a major leap(which it's not), then the phone has to be fresh. These leaks are lazy and I have more confidence in Apple than to believe that these leaks are real. I like the design of the 4 but it's time for a redesign. Apple has Samsung breathing down their neck now and they know it. Jony Ive has something better than this up his sleeve.
How is this not enough of a design change? Just changing the screen size (something they've never done) seems like a pretty big change to me.

commander.data
Jun 21, 2012, 01:32 AM
I haven't invested much in accessories for the existing connector so I don't mind a change. Particularly if USB3.0 and/or Thunderbolt support is added.

Pakaku
Jun 21, 2012, 01:39 AM

I don't. It works great for a heavier laptop, but Apple wants to make their phones and iPods smaller and lighter. Assuming everyone wants it for that quick disconnect feature, where if you trip the cord it just pops out harmlessly, how do you give something like an iPhone a Mag-Safe connection without making it so weak to account for the phone's lack of weight?

I don't know, it's late and Mag-Safe isn't making any sense at all to me.

Dominicanyor
Jun 21, 2012, 01:43 AM
Why is the headset jack on the bottom?? That really sucks.

Pakaku
Jun 21, 2012, 01:43 AM
IF the new dock changes to micro-USB, the 3.5mm socket could contribute the direct audio/video ouput that USB can't. When docking, the bottom of the iPhone would mate with both a USB plug and 3.5mm plug (which would also keep it upright). Older iPods used to output composite video through the headphone socket, so it might seem like a strange step backwards, but also possible and practical. I'm speculating, but not entirely irrationally.

It makes more sense in an Apple way to stuff everything into one single cable. You can do more with the 30-pin cable than with USB, so it's justified. Besides, Apple won't support a common port on their iProducts when they could just design their own proprietary port and make money off third-party docks through licensing :)

Fatboy71
Jun 21, 2012, 01:46 AM
damn it, apple

now i have to change all connectors in the car, at home and in the office? and all docks, chargers and cables are no longer compatible.

hate it!

They will be still compatible if Apple moves to the smaller connector, Apple will bring out some sort of converter that converts the big (30 pin connector) to the smaller connector. I can't see us getting one included with the new iPhone though :mad: probably have to buy them.

brdeveloper
Jun 21, 2012, 01:49 AM
It makes sense, if they're going USB 3, why not change it already? Especially with Ivy Bridge...

MicroUSB is too much standard for Apple. They like the proprietary interfaces so they can sell expensive adapters or peripherals which an equivalent usb one would do the same job for much less money.

kylera
Jun 21, 2012, 01:54 AM
Glad I didn't buy any accessories for my 4S yet, now I will just wait and get the new phone, problem solved.

Glad my primary accessory, an external battery, needs the USB cable for charging...

SirHaakon
Jun 21, 2012, 02:11 AM
Why the EFF are they moving the headphone jack to the bottom?!

Michael Scrip
Jun 21, 2012, 02:14 AM

It wouldn't be the first time:

http://i.imgur.com/d1j11.jpg

gmcalpin
Jun 21, 2012, 02:16 AM

The MagSafe connector DOES have pins five of them. The magnets just line them up for you, but they're there.

Toadstall
Jun 21, 2012, 02:25 AM
Im sure it will be as desireable as ever, but I promised myself that if the iPhone got any bigger my addiction wouldnt lead me to a man bag.

So I guess if true Ill be moving on, to smaller and lighter again, and all I know right now - is that it wont be a Samsung.

Calle68
Jun 21, 2012, 02:28 AM
Every producer here in the EC shall rely on the same AC adapter, so most of the producers moved to mini USB connectors. Why not Apple?

TallManNY
Jun 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
I want the iPhone 5 to both look good and be something that I would not feel the need to put in a case. Without cases, there would be less leak!

Seriously, I never put my blackberries in cases. I wouldn't put the Nokia Lumina in a case. I've never put an iPod Touch in a case. But Apple made the back glass and made the glass exposed at the edge in the iPhone 4. So I ended up with a case. My current case is a nice case. But it still bulks up the phone a bit.

I've seen a lot of busted up iPhones in the wild, so case is the way I go. But I hope this new version doesn't need one.

slimbek
Jun 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
Faaaarrrrr out these concepts are all so ugly!

I truly hope Apple pull something out of the hat that doesn't try to rehash the iPhone 4 design for a 3rd year simply by stretching and squashing...

haseeb1029
Jun 21, 2012, 02:34 AM
Why wouldn't the move of the headphone jack make sense? I mean the way most people put their phone in their pocket is upside down, it's just natural that way. And with the phone upside down in your pocket the headphones coming off the bottom would make perfect sense. Maybe I'm missing something but I love the idea of the headphone jack being on the bottom.

Pock
Jun 21, 2012, 02:36 AM

Because if you put your phone in your pocket upside down (which you should if you want your phone to be the right way up when you take it out), the headphone jack should be at the bottom.

Makes perfect sense.

----------

Why wouldn't the move of the headphone jack make sense? I mean the way most people put their phone in their pocket is upside down, it's just natural that way. And with the phone upside down in your pocket the headphones coming off the bottom would make perfect sense. Maybe I'm missing something but I love the idea of the headphone jack being on the bottom.

Beat me to it!

ah123
Jun 21, 2012, 02:49 AM

I don't think many people go out and buy a phone wanting it to drop. But - accidents happen - and when they do, you'd rather reduce your chances of having a shattered glass back by having a non-glass back plate :-)

weckart
Jun 21, 2012, 02:56 AM
I must be the only one that likes the glass back... The whole glass shattering thing doesn't make a difference to me because I never want my phone to drop anyways.

Ah, that must be it, then. Everyone but you WANTS to drop his phone. That must be why it happens. Not because it is made thin, with flat sides and back that fit so unergonomically in the hand, but because everyone else wants to drop it.

Thank you. I always wondered why the backs of iPhones shattered so often.

mrsir2009
Jun 21, 2012, 03:00 AM

I can't see Apple conforming like that... Not their style ;)

olowott
Jun 21, 2012, 03:05 AM
Since Apple introduced the Magsafe 2 connector for their New macAirs and Pros

This supports the Posssibility of a change and $9.99 tag for the converter

Still feel apple has got something up thier sleeves about the design we still dont know:cool:

JoEw
Jun 21, 2012, 03:08 AM

Don't know why you got downvoted... it is true that the lens scratches SO EASILY on my iPhone 4 my camera takes blurry pictures now. :mad:

As nice as the iPhone looks without a case, get some kind of a case protection. Being the owner of a case-less iPhone 4 for 2 years I promise you accidents WILL happen.

adildacoolset
Jun 21, 2012, 03:09 AM

how do you know they aren't ceramics?

JoEw
Jun 21, 2012, 03:12 AM
Likely this will be a thunderbolt port. So attachments/adapters will be offered for USB 2/3, HDMI, VGA, maybe microUSB and of course a legacy 30-pin connecter. Kinda how the 10 dollar thunderbolt adapters are for the Macbook Retina.

chrisrosemusic1
Jun 21, 2012, 03:12 AM
This may have been mentioned but WTF if they move the headphone jack to the bottom!? This is a crap idea, and I hated it that way round on the older iPods.

Makes no sense - your hand has to go there so why would you want a 5mm prong sticking out?!

theluggage
Jun 21, 2012, 03:15 AM
Every producer here in the EC shall rely on the same AC adapter, so most of the producers moved to mini USB connectors. Why not Apple?

(Its micro USB actually - although a lot of older phones used mini USB)

1. Because the dock connector carries audio and video signals as well as data and power, so micro USB won't cut it.

2. Because there were already huge numbers of accessories with the iPod connector, third party cables, chargers etc. OK that argument is weakened if they are really going to change the connector, but sofar that is just a rumour and anyway it doesn't alter (1)

3. Because (typically) the EC's heart is in the right place, but the reality is a stupid solution, which legitimizes adaptors with captive micro USB cables that will go down the drain when manufacturers start making phones or other devices that are too small to house a micro-USB or (more likely) too small to house the fugly double connector needed to provide a microUSB socket alongside the extra pins needed for USB 3.

Apple already has a better universal AC adapter solution for iDevices, that meets the objectives of the EC scheme: put a full sized USB socket in the charger.

I already use my iPad adapter to charge my Kindle, my old miniUSB phone, my bluetooth keyboard, my wireless mouse... and even if the new iPhone did have a different connector I wouldn't need any more chargers - just the appropriate USB cable that I need to carry anyway to plug the phone into a laptop, my car, usb sockets at hotels... Third party adapters with USB sockets are widely available.

The problem that the EC set out to solve was that every mobile phone model (let alone make) came with its own unique AC brick that was expensive to replace and went on the landfill alongside the phone. Apple had already solved that problem.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2012, 03:17 AM
Don't know why you got downvoted... it is true that the lens scratches SO EASILY on my iPhone 4 my camera takes blurry pictures now. :mad:

As nice as the iPhone looks without a case, get some kind of a case protection. Being the owner of a case-less iPhone 4 for 2 years I promise you accidents WILL happen.

Exactly what happened to me. 30$ fix at Apple Store since they change the entire back plate of glass. When I voiced my discontent, the genius' advice was to put a bumper on it and postulated dust particles on tables over time caused there to be an accumulation of microscratches until the plastic lens is so blurry to be useless.

I should add my back plate was immaculate and only the cheap lens was scratched.

----------

how do you know they aren't ceramics?

I trust ifixit and what they said in the Apple Store.

AIP5
Jun 21, 2012, 03:18 AM
Oh, h*ll no... I'm not falling for the "Mobile Fun" iPhone 5 cases again.

MathijsDelva
Jun 21, 2012, 03:19 AM
I still don't believe these leaks. The iPhone is their flagship product which is known to be super protected yet the leaks are flying out of the factories like it's nothing. Hm, strange thing that we never saw even one single credible leak about the Retina MacBook Pro design. I wonder why? Hey, i know, because these leaks are fabricated. You honestly think Apple would release the all new iPhone which pretty much looks completely the same as the two previous generations? Keep dreaming :)

colour
Jun 21, 2012, 03:22 AM

That would be the smartest thing to do, not in apples character to conform with other brands standards, they always have to think different (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Different). Doesn't every single other phone these days use micro USB ? I a ridiculous amount of cables and chargers that I never use because I already have them connected. My last 3 phones have all used the same cables and they are all different brands, and I think every household will have the cable incase you need to charge at someone else's place.

kalsta
Jun 21, 2012, 03:24 AM

It's very likely that's where Apple have long wished they could put it (look at the iPod Touch) but didn't have room alongside the better quality mic, speaker and of course the 30-pin connector. With a new, smaller connector, they now have room on the bottom.

numlock
Jun 21, 2012, 03:24 AM

there is already a natural way in putting and removing phones from ones pocket?

Because if you put your phone in your pocket upside down (which you should if you want your phone to be the right way up when you take it out), the headphone jack should be at the bottom.

Makes perfect sense.

what kind of flippity flop move do you do when you remove the phone from your pocket?

if im holding an iphone right side up it uses less of the cable length to have the headphone jack on the top (except if its bottom is aligned with ears). When i put the phone right side up in my pocket then the issue with cable length becomes more serious because in a loose pocket the iphone can rotate to the "natural pocket position" and the cable isnt really long enough.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2012, 03:28 AM
I still don't believe these leaks. The iPhone is their flagship product which is known to be super protected yet the leaks are flying out of the factories like it's nothing. Hm, strange thing that we never saw even one single credible leak about the Retina MacBook Pro design. I wonder why? Hey, i know, because these leaks are fabricated. You honestly think Apple would release the all new iPhone which pretty much looks completely the same as the two previous generations? Keep dreaming :)

9to5mac came pretty darn close with the Retina MacBook Pro except they didn't nail the new vents and the hdmi port.

----------

what kind of flippity flop move do you do when you remove the phone from your pocket?

if im holding an iphone right side up it uses less of the cable length to have the headphone jack on the top (except if its bottom is aligned with ears). When i put the phone right side up in my pocket then the issue with cable length becomes more serious because in a loose pocket the iphone can rotate to the "natural pocket position" and the cable isnt really long enough.

If you are holding the phone the cable is long enough, and if it is in your pocket why do you need it right side up? Wrong side up is actaully faster to get it in position when you pull it out since no flipping is needed.

frida189
Jun 21, 2012, 03:30 AM
If it is coming with 19 pins then I frankly wish this will be the 1st Mag-safe Thunderbolt port.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2012, 03:32 AM
If it is coming with 19 pins then I frankly wish this will be the 1st Mag-safe Thunderbolt port.

What do you need a thunderbolt port for on a phone? Seems like a waste.

MathijsDelva
Jun 21, 2012, 03:34 AM
9to5mac came pretty darn close with the Retina MacBook Pro except they didn't nail the new vents and the hdmi port.

Yeah one hour before the keynote

Lancer
Jun 21, 2012, 03:38 AM
Never bought a speaker dock for my 3Gs, looks like it could have been a good move. I will have to get a new car charger though LOL

newyorksole
Jun 21, 2012, 03:38 AM

Ummm we knew what the Retina Mac was gonna be despite it not being leaked. There were rumors months ago about how it was gonna be a thinner 15" with a Retina display.

iPhone leaks of physical hardware happen every year. We knew what the 3G was gonna be, the 4, the 4S and now the 6th Gen. We don't just have renders, we have physical genuine Apple iPhone bodies.

You've already seen what the next iPhone will look like, I don't know why you all are denying it. I don't know what you're expecting.....

Cod3rror
Jun 21, 2012, 03:39 AM
I'm surprised there's no "Mobile MagSafe", makes much more since for the magnet design in a phone setting. I always trip over mine, or am pulling to hard and ware my cords out.

What about the situations where your phone falls of a table for example and you catch it by the cord? MagSafe will fall off.

----------

Does microUSB have audio out? Video out?

MathijsDelva
Jun 21, 2012, 03:43 AM
We don't just have renders, we have physical genuine Apple iPhone bodies.

You've already seen what the next iPhone will look like, I don't know why you all are denying it. I don't know what you're expecting.....

So, you blindlessly believe an own-profit hardware part maker which displays its logo all over the place in their video that still hasn't been taken down yet?

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2012, 03:44 AM
Yeah one hour before the keynote

No they posted their first scoop lmost two weeks before.

MathijsDelva
Jun 21, 2012, 03:47 AM
No they posted their first scoop lmost two weeks before.

Okay, i didn't know that. But we never saw a design did we? Then why does it seem so easy to have design leaks for the iphone?

Lancer
Jun 21, 2012, 03:53 AM
This is the absolute lamest piece of "news" I have ever seen on this site. I can't imagine a single person who would care in the slightest about this.

What about anyone who has just bought or about to buy an expensive dock for their iPhone, the 100s of companies making docks and leads for the iPhone/iPod and iPad?

A cable adapter might work but if you have a dock then it's probably not going to work having you iPhone sitting up higher in the device then it was designed to. In some cases it probably won't fit.

Pock
Jun 21, 2012, 03:58 AM

I'll put it in steps for you:

Hold you phone to your ear the correct way up.

Now, without changing grip, put your hand straight into your pocket.

Which way up is it? Yep. Upside down.

My friend, you are the one performing a flippity flop move.

Xcallibur
Jun 21, 2012, 03:59 AM
What about anyone who has just bought or about to buy an expensive dock for their iPhone, the 100s of companies making docks and leads for the iPhone/iPod and iPad?

A cable adapter might work but if you have a dock then it's probably not going to work having you iPhone sitting up higher in the device then it was designed to. In some cases it probably won't fit.

People may start to buy open devices rather than their proprietary cousins.

Pheo
Personally I hope they don't go Micro-USB - its carp! I've broken several hardly used leads. My dock leads get used all the time, and I'm only just wearing through one of them (it'll be the first one I've broken!)

steveash
A new connector will give me another reason to look at alternative phones. If neither phone will dock with my current speakers then that frees me up to choose something new. Hopefully Apple will also come up with some useful innovations that will keep me with them.

hundleton1
Jun 21, 2012, 04:01 AM
I reaaly think the next iPhone will be a big move forward. Dumping old connection and standards as they have with the Retina Pro. Sometime you have to be harsh and cut off from the past to move forward.

My predictions are

New smaller Thunderbolt connector with dock connector adapter available/included

New larger screen but in the same size or slighlty larger package making them push the home button and speaker out the way some how. After all these are wasted areas on the phone. Perhaps home area on the screen with a virtual button somehow.

Sheza
Jun 21, 2012, 04:04 AM
I can't see it looking like the models, if that unsymmetrical speaker grill looks bad to me, I'd imagine Apple would have nuked the idea by now!

We can't be having an unsymmetrical speaker grill.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2012, 04:07 AM
Okay, i didn't know that. But we never saw a design did we? Then why does it seem so easy to have design leaks for the iphone?

As I said, they did give a design, a mockup that nailed all but the hdmi port and new air vents.

In amy case I am inclined to think these are all fake, it is still way too early. If these leaks were within one month prior to release I might believe them. But there is no way the phone is outside of Apple's labs at this point.

----------

They all work with current iphones correct?

Skika
Jun 21, 2012, 04:08 AM
I can't see it looking like the models, if that unsymmetrical speaker grill looks bad to me, I'd imagine Apple would have nuked the idea by now!

We can't be having an unsymmetrical speaker grill.

Just like the seams on the iPhone 4 were sooo UN-APPLE like :rolleyes:

kiwiboi87
Jun 21, 2012, 04:08 AM
please lord no dam thunderbolt
not everyone has a thunderbolt mac, or even pc

and we don't have the money laying about to just get a new iPhone and mac

mini usb, or 19pin connecter, i can live with

Piggie
Jun 21, 2012, 04:11 AM

Because Aluminium is a cheap and nasty soft metal not really suitable for thin and touch cases.
Sorry, you may not want to hear that fact. I've worked with metals for many many years and Aluminium is not really very good for things like this. Sure it has it's uses, and is "cool and trendy" at the moment, and easy to machine.

It's a great thin to make a heat sink out of, next to copper, and it's features ARE that it's soft and deforms easily

If I wish to hold something and not damage it, I will use aluminium as it will bend and deform and not damage the item I'm working with as it's so soft.

But you'd never choose it from a engineering point of view to perform as the best material for anything you wanted to be thin and strong. There are better materials out there for this function.

apolloa
Jun 21, 2012, 04:22 AM
Oh God, Mac Rumors and next gen 'iPhone cases'.............. :eek::eek:

I'll believe it when I see it.

JohnDoe98
Jun 21, 2012, 04:23 AM
Because Aluminium is a cheap and nasty soft metal not really suitable for thin and touch cases.
Sorry, you may not want to hear that fact. I've worked with metals for many many years and Aluminium is not really very good for things like this. Sure it has it's uses, and is "cool and trendy" at the moment, and easy to machine.

It's a great thin to make a heat sink out of, next to copper, and it's features ARE that it's soft and deforms easily

If I wish to hold something and not damage it, I will use aluminium as it will bend and deform and not damage the item I'm working with as it's so soft.

But you'd never choose it from a engineering point of view to perform as the best material for anything you wanted to be thin and strong. There are better materials out there for this function.

Titanium back plates?

newyorksole
Jun 21, 2012, 04:25 AM
So, you blindlessly believe an own-profit hardware part maker which displays its logo all over the place in their video that still hasn't been taken down yet?

Lol yes. They aren't the only ones with the leaked parts. 2 other websites posted the same images of the leaks. The video of the iPhone 4 Prototype is still available too.

Edit: I know Giz got in trouble for the video, but it didn't get pulled. That was a lost prototype too, not a factory leak. Still, we have seen the new iPhone.

Astroexe
Jun 21, 2012, 04:27 AM
I just had a thought, weren't apple demanded to supply a microUSB charger now due to a European rule or something? Maybe this change is so they can make a similar adapter [akin to the Magsafe 1->2 one recently released for the MBPRetina] to comply?
The only other reason I can see them wanting to shrink the size is for pure aesthetic and size reasons.. maybe this initial move with start a shockwave in other iOS devices like the iPod lineup having a full refresh - it would make sense, they only want to be supplying ONE charger after all.

elementskins
Jun 21, 2012, 04:35 AM
As a manufacturer, I can tell you that there isn't a chance in hell that I'd be producing cases based on the "leaked" designs that we have seen so far.

Until the day we see the device at an Apple Press conference/Keynote, nothing is certain.

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 04:37 AM
Because a 30 or 19 pin dock connector will be able to do so much more than a Micro USB.

The 30pin can also supply considerably more power than USB. Perhaps this new connector will supply more still, bringing the recharge time back down for the next generation iPad.

Calle68
Jun 21, 2012, 04:39 AM
1. Yes, it's a micro-USB, my fault

2. Yes, as an example I own an expensive TomTom car kit and the iRig Midi interface, I will change my iPhone4 with the new one, and I'm really scared by this rumor.

3. Yes, but at that time, that was the solution which permits today to charge different cellphone with the same adapter here in my company ("I forgot my adapter, is there anyone ..."), apart from the environmental issues (which are important!).

The solution of Apple is ok (I use it for several devices too), but, if you do not have the white cable with you, it's a mess.:(

(Its micro USB actually - although a lot of older phones used mini USB)

1. Because the dock connector carries audio and video signals as well as data and power, so micro USB won't cut it.

2. Because there were already huge numbers of accessories with the iPod connector, third party cables, chargers etc. OK that argument is weakened if they are really going to change the connector, but sofar that is just a rumour and anyway it doesn't alter (1)

3. Because (typically) the EC's heart is in the right place, but the reality is a stupid solution, which legitimizes adaptors with captive micro USB cables that will go down the drain when manufacturers start making phones or other devices that are too small to house a micro-USB or (more likely) too small to house the fugly double connector needed to provide a microUSB socket alongside the extra pins needed for USB 3.

Apple already has a better universal AC adapter solution for iDevices, that meets the objectives of the EC scheme: put a full sized USB socket in the charger.

I already use my iPad adapter to charge my Kindle, my old miniUSB phone, my bluetooth keyboard, my wireless mouse... and even if the new iPhone did have a different connector I wouldn't need any more chargers - just the appropriate USB cable that I need to carry anyway to plug the phone into a laptop, my car, usb sockets at hotels... Third party adapters with USB sockets are widely available.

The problem that the EC set out to solve was that every mobile phone model (let alone make) came with its own unique AC brick that was expensive to replace and went on the landfill alongside the phone. Apple had already solved that problem.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2012, 04:46 AM

It needs to have USB unless you want to restrict sales to those who've bought a new Mac during the last 16 months.

MartiNZ
Jun 21, 2012, 04:48 AM

Only the best change since the iPhone has existed ... not so silly.

Really excited about this extra evidence; I've never gone in for any iDevice accessories so ... sign me up!!

iEvolution
Jun 21, 2012, 04:49 AM
I don't think there is going to be a accessory problem, I'm sure Apple has a extension in the works (or made already) that allows you to plug in legacy components with the new one.

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 04:50 AM
It needs to have USB unless you want to restrict sales to those who've bought a new Mac during the last 16 months.

That's not strictly true. Users would still have the options of WiFI syncing or iCloud.

urbanlung
Jun 21, 2012, 04:54 AM
please don't make it any bigger!

OllyW
Jun 21, 2012, 04:55 AM
That's not strictly true. Users would still have the options of WiFI syncing or iCloud.

Then why put an expensive Thunderbolt port in that only a minority of customers could use?

Reason077
Jun 21, 2012, 04:59 AM
Likely this will be a thunderbolt port.

No, it won't be thunderbolt based. Only a very small percentage of the world's PCs support thunderbolt, so Apple would be severely limiting their market if it wasn't USB based.

Also, the high cost of Thunderbolt controller chips would be prohibitive for many accessories, as well as cheaper Apple devices like the iPod nano.

This is purely about making the dock connector physically smaller so that future devices can themselves be made smaller and thinner.

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 05:01 AM
Then why put an expensive Thunderbolt port in that only a minority of customers could use?

The market for Thunderbolt will grow with time (with the cost coming down in the process). Having a major device like the iPhone support TB could even push other computer manufacturers to adopt it sooner rather than later.

BTW, I'm not saying Apple will put a TB on the iPhone. Just that it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Skika
Jun 21, 2012, 05:01 AM
No, it won't be thunderbolt based. Only a very small percentage of the world's PCs support thunderbolt, so Apple would be severely limiting their market if it wasn't USB based.

Also, the high cost of Thunderbolt controller chips would be prohibitive for many accessories, as well as cheaper Apple devices like the iPod nano.

Exactly this. And i would also add that there is no real profit in using Thunderbolt because flash in the iOS devices can barely saturate USB 2.0.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2012, 05:06 AM
The market for Thunderbolt will grow with time. Having a major device like the iPhone support TB could even push manufacturers to adopt it sooner rather than later.

Or it could put people off buying the iPhone.

It'll be USB 3, that's the mainstream solution.

Sedrick
Jun 21, 2012, 05:11 AM
Im sure it will be as desireable as ever, but I promised myself that if the iPhone got any bigger my addiction wouldnt lead me to a man bag.

So I guess if true Ill be moving on, to smaller and lighter again, and all I know right now - is that it wont be a Samsung.

So, exactly where are you moving on to? There's no other decent phone out there that's as small as the iPhone. Besides, the increase in size is almost negligible. Don't be silly, you aren't going anywhere.

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
Or it could put people off buying the iPhone.

It'll be USB 3, that's the mainstream solution.

The mainstream solution would be to stick a standard microUSB and microHDMI port on this thing. Obviously Apple isn't going to do that. And considering they have other methods for people to connect and sync their data now, I really don't think you can discount the possibility outright.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2012, 05:19 AM
The mainstream solution would be to stick a standard microUSB and microHDMI port on this thing. Obviously Apple isn't going to do that. And considering they have other methods for people to connect and sync their data now, I really don't think you can discount the possibility outright.

Go on then, I'll give it a 1% possibility. :D

Charmandermon
Jun 21, 2012, 05:21 AM

Makes perfect sense.

----------

Beat me to it!

"You're holding it wrong...";)

Hawkeye411
Jun 21, 2012, 05:24 AM
Guess I won't update this year. I've invested too much in accessories over the years. I updated my iPhone yearly in the past. I love the speed, size and style of my 4S so I'll just hold onto it for a few years. Adapters won't be a solution for some of my accessories.

Sedrick
Jun 21, 2012, 05:30 AM

You know not of which you speak.
Go to any hardware store and pick up a mini mag flashlight. Aircraft grade anodized aluminum. Hard as nails. Beautiful and very scratch resistant.

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
Go on then, I'll give it a 1% possibility. :D

I would agree its unlikely, though not because of whatever is mainstream. Rather because Intel is currently the sole supplier of Thunderbolt controllers. In fact other companies would have to license it from them. And it's probably not in their best interests to support ARM-based devices.

SBlue1
Jun 21, 2012, 05:40 AM
oh no, i want it to be micro-usb! i have micro-usb chargers already all over the house and office. :(

Rizzn
Jun 21, 2012, 05:44 AM
With iOS 6, specifically turn-by-turn navigation on the new maps, the phone will need a much larger speaker.

To anyone that has a dedicated GPS, notice how loud they get. Those things need to speak loudly and clearly, something the current iPhone speaker just can't do. It'll have to speak over the air rushing by outside at 70 MPH. Something practical to think about.

CyberBob859
Jun 21, 2012, 05:44 AM
The 30-pin design is no longer really needed:

1) Audio/Video out can now be handled by Airplay (and Apple can get royalties by licensing this standard instead of the 30 pin dock.)

2) Syncing can be done wirelessly now (WiFi, iCloud)

The port will still be needed for power/recharging, and the EU wants a standard connector like Micro-USB for just this purpose anyway. Also, USB 3 has just been released for Mac laptops, and already available on Windows machines, so if you still wanted to sync via cable, you'll have a faster USB 3 connection.

So, it's probably a micro-USB 3.0 port, but man, I'm going to hate upgrading the accessories I have based on the 30-pin design.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2012, 05:47 AM
Rather because Intel is currently the sole supplier of Thunderbolt controllers.

The $100+ premium for adding a Thunderbolt port and the $50 cable does seem to be killing it at the moment.

davids8477
Jun 21, 2012, 06:23 AM
Lets hope there's an adapter otherwise a LOT of accessories will become useless.

MarcelV
Jun 21, 2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks for making me laugh! Had a ****** (just another word for bad, starting with s... but censored) start of day, but 'flippity flop move' is funny! :)

Elijahg
Jun 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
I don't think this move would be too popular with the masses. I presume Apple's re-using the two USB data pins as serial output, or maybe dropping video out altogether. Great if you've got everything attached to an AppleTV, not so great if you haven't.

Just because Johnny Ive has enough money to re-buy all his accessories (and car?) for a tweak saving 4-5mm, doesn't mean everyone else does too... :o

Piggie
Jun 21, 2012, 07:12 AM
You know not of which you speak.
Go to any hardware store and pick up a mini mag flashlight. Aircraft grade anodized aluminum. Hard as nails. Beautiful and very scratch resistant.

Very Anodizing put a very thin very hard surface to the aluminium.
It does not make it strong.
Try googling for Dented Macbook.

It's great for absorbing and deforming, not much good at standing up to a hard knock and/or springing back like high tech plastics can.

Ooops, sorry, I remember, ANY plastic is not cool, hip and trendy when it comes to Apple product, so it has to be considered rubbish.

baryon
Jun 21, 2012, 07:13 AM
I'm sure they will make an adapter to solve all the accessory problems.

SactoGuy18
Jun 21, 2012, 07:14 AM
Just as long as this new 19-pin connector is reasonably durable, I'll take it. :)

I've worked with a cellphone with a Micro USB connector (Samsung Gravity S) and gawd, that thing looks very fragile and I have to be quite careful connecting it to the charger.

Piggie
Jun 21, 2012, 07:16 AM
Titanium back plates?

Yeah, well we work with high grade Titanium all day long, and it's easy enough to work with using the right tools, perhaps they could. who knows?

It's very tough and rigid and whilst it's a little heavier for the same sized block, as it could be much thinner if may even work out lighter also.

It would still be a pig to manufacture though.

Far better to mould something (even metal) into shape.

GenesisST
Jun 21, 2012, 07:24 AM

How many 30-pin cable do people already have? If you already have a car charger, do you need to be a whole new one? I think not.

I'm sure there will be a slew of 3rd party adapters. No need to be a new set of cables and chargers if you don't want to.

Lancer
Jun 21, 2012, 07:25 AM
Good thing most Car head units have USB connections so if Apple changes their plus you just need the right lead to pug into the car, for music and charging.

I'm still on the fence, while I agree the current plug might be outdated, especially if they are only going to connect to USB it would be interesting if they could connect to Thunderbolt and use the old FW connections.

Tiger8
Jun 21, 2012, 07:25 AM

I was thinking just that, I am sure Apple (and third party vendors) are working on adaptors. This is too big of an opportunity to miss.

buddhistMonkey
Jun 21, 2012, 07:28 AM
This report is suspect if for no other reason than the headphone jack being relocated to the bottom of the phone. First of all, it makes no sense to put the jack on the bottom, because then you couldn't dock the phone and run audio out at the same time, which is a common usage. Second, Apple has at this point designed more than two dozen iPods, five iPhones, and three iPads, and every single one of them has had the headphone jack on the top.

OllyW
Jun 21, 2012, 07:33 AM
This report is suspect if for no other reason than the headphone jack being relocated to the bottom of the phone. First of all, it makes no sense to put the jack on the bottom, because then you couldn't dock the phone and run audio out at the same time, which is a common usage. Second, Apple has at this point designed more than two dozen iPods, five iPhones, and three iPads, and every single one of them has had the headphone jack on the top.

Have you ever seen an iPod touch or nano?

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4037/4690324856_61cf436c79.jpg

http://podophile.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/nike_ipod_fatty.png

DavidLeblond
Jun 21, 2012, 07:37 AM
So now I'm going to have to have iPad cables and iPhone cables? Ugh. I know everyone is like "Change is inevitable!" and voting down people who say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But I really really hope this is all crazy talk and that they'll just stick with the normal dock connector.

Porco
Jun 21, 2012, 07:43 AM
It makes sense for it to be a micro USB 3.0 + extra proprietary stuff hybrid port.

If they were going to change it, now seems a logical time after having just added USB 3.0 to the latest MacBooks.

Also with the EU commitment to standardising chargers, and it would seem perverse to change the connector but still make it need an adapter for that.

And look at how Apple made a thing of having hybrid USB 2.0/3.0 ports on their new computers. They could do the same here.

LaWally
Jun 21, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'll put it in steps for you:

Hold you phone to your ear the correct way up.

Now, without changing grip, put your hand straight into your pocket.

Which way up is it? Yep. Upside down.

I always put my phone in my pocket right side up whether in the back pocket of my jeans or my shirt pocket. So what's natural to one is unnatural to another. Moving the headphone jack will not change the way I use my phone.

Twixt
Jun 21, 2012, 07:47 AM
So now I'm going to have to have iPad cables and iPhone cables? Ugh. I know everyone is like "Change is inevitable!" and voting down people who say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But I really really hope this is all crazy talk and that they'll just stick with the normal dock connector.

Kinda agree, I tend to use ipad or iphone cable without even calculating, hopefully I didnt buy any accessory with this 30 pin connector. What puzzles me reading this news is not really about the latter but more about this stretched 4 inch display that looks ugly as hell. Could that really be next gen iphone ? :/
I can not believe I will have to use my 3GS one more year or switch brand ...

ToomeyND
Jun 21, 2012, 07:48 AM

There is actually a really good point here. On a lot of the "less expensive" sound docks, the 30 pin connector does not do a very good job of holding the phone in place to keep it working properly. The 3.5 mm jack would be a nice post to keep the phone secure and consistently working.

My wife has an Altec Lansing sound dock that she has to rig with a pen behind the phone to keep it in the precarious spot required to play the phone properly.

I had initially though that this little dock connector (or whatever it will be called) would be put under some serious stress when a phone is resting on it alone.

Skika
Jun 21, 2012, 07:51 AM

So you really don't get it that an 10 year old connector can became rather useless because of its size (which is of utmost importance in these devices) and a smaller connector could do the same thing with half the size? Do you really not see the benefit of using a smaller new connector? You really want the world's most forward looking technology company to stick with an old connector just because? Wouldn't you rather see it march into the future making the best products?

trip1ex
Jun 21, 2012, 07:55 AM
And this affects me...how?

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 21, 2012, 07:56 AM

Get on plane. Pull out your iPhone loaded with movies and games. Battery won't last such heavy use for such a long time, so plug it into power. Oh, you're disturbing other people, so plug headphones in. Now, hold your device in landscape, and try to do so without cables pressing into your hands as that'll create sore spots by the end of the plane ride. You probably won't be able to, both sides you would want to hold it by have cables coming out (I know, because I've tried since owning a 3GS 3 years ago.)

I imagine having all the cables come out of the same side will make it possible to hold the iPhone in a landscape orientation without cables touching your hands.

JasonElise1983
Jun 21, 2012, 07:58 AM
It won't be an iPhone 5. Ever.

Exactly. The "iPhone 5" is vaporware. Apple is moving to the same model they use on their computers. You don't go buy an iMac 125, you just buy the newest iMac. I just want the newest/current iPhone, no need to give it a descriptor. An iPhone is an iPhone. The thing other phone manufacturers haven't figured out. No matter what model you own... Everyone thinks the iPhone is cool and it's still an "iPhone" android phoes have too many names. I applaud apple for simplifying it.

iReality85
Jun 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
And look at how Apple made a thing of having hybrid USB 2.0/3.0 ports on their new computers. They could do the same here.

There's nothing hybrid about what Apple did. The three USB standards are backwards/forwards compatible with each other (save for data transfer speed). All Apple did was chose not to make the USB3 ports that standard, gaudy blue color. That's "not their style," as they put it.

That said, the new cable is most assuredly going to be USB3 --> New, smaller, 19-pin proprietary dock connector.

ToomeyND
Jun 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Would it be possible for a regular micro-USB to fit the dock and charge the phone? Then it would comply with the EU regs, and allow Apple to do extra stuff with the 19 pin connector.

It would make it a bit confusing for some that a regular usb wouldn't do everything the apple connector does, but it would allow any usb cable to charge the phone. I would imagine charging the phone is the most important job of the plug anyway.

JasonElise1983
Jun 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Would it be possible for a regular micro-USB to fit the dock and charge the phone? Then it would comply with the EU regs, and allow Apple to do extra stuff with the 19 pin connector.

It would make it a bit confusing for some that a regular usb wouldn't do everything the apple connector does, but it would allow any usb cable to charge the phone. I would imaging charging the phone is the most important job of the plug anyway.

Apple won't use a standard like USB for its connector. They like proprietary, closes platforms they can control and collect royalties on from accessory manufacturers. The "new" dock connector will be proprietary as well, but I bet it has thunderbolt/USB 3 capabilities.

I like what they are doing. Apple is a big company, but still small and nimble enough to make major changes and not ruin their ecosystem. Look at how they dropped floppy discs, PowerPC, FireWire which they kind of invented, the optical drive now. Apple is in a state of shedding old technology for slimmer, newer, sexier tech. It's innovation, what we all ask for, but we're never quite ready for.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 21, 2012, 08:34 AM

I sure hope you're right.
Two daisy-chainable thunderbolt ports and nothing to plug into them
Two comparatively slow USB ports that every other periph made compete for.

It'd be great if Apples own stuff didn't have to go lowest common denominator, & could just take advantage of its own better built-in option.

doctor-don
Jun 21, 2012, 08:36 AM

That's where heaphone jack should have been at the very begining. At the bottom.

Don't you already have audio/video output through the dock connector? The idea of the 3.5mm is mainly for headphones. If it's on the bottom, it's blocked if it's in some sort of dock like device.

Obviously, the negative comments are from posters who don't use ear buds / headphones OR they put their phones in their pockets upside down.

JasonElise1983
Jun 21, 2012, 08:37 AM
Obviously, the negative comments are from posters who don't use ear buds / headphones OR they put their phones in their pockets upside down.

Exactly! 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom is a welcome change

jonnysods
Jun 21, 2012, 08:39 AM
Flip. There go all the extra 30 pin accessories I have!

theluggage
Jun 21, 2012, 08:39 AM
3. Yes, but at that time, that was the solution which permits today to charge different cellphone with the same adapter here in my company ("I forgot my adapter, is there anyone ..."), apart from the environmental issues (which are important!).

The solution of Apple is ok (I use it for several devices too), but, if you do not have the white cable with you, it's a mess.:(

Even before the EC scheme, cell phone and media player manufactures were starting to converge on either Mini USB or, at least, charging from a full-sized USB port. The EC decision has actually turned a couple of Mini-USB wall-warts I have into future landfill.

...and , personally, I don't carry my phone adapter around with me, but I could usually lend you an iDevice or Mini-USB cable which would let you charge from ant PC or laptop.

The problem with the EC scheme is that they've forced a standard socket on the mobile device rather than on the charger. That's going to work fine until devices get too small to accommodate a USB Micro socket - and have you seen the size of the USB 3 Micro socket? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB_3.0_Micro_B_plug.PNG)

doctor-don
Jun 21, 2012, 08:41 AM
Get on plane. Pull out your iPhone loaded with movies and games. Battery won't last such heavy use for such a long time, so plug it into power. Oh, you're disturbing other people, so plug headphones in. Now, hold your device in landscape, and try to do so without cables pressing into your hands as that'll create sore spots by the end of the plane ride. You probably won't be able to, both sides you would want to hold it by have cables coming out (I know, because I've tried since owning a 3GS 3 years ago.)

I imagine having all the cables come out of the same side will make it possible to hold the iPhone in a landscape orientation without cables touching your hands.

Ha-ha.

----------

Exactly! 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom is a welcome change ... because ...?

rorschach
Jun 21, 2012, 08:44 AM

The headphone port on the bottom was always annoying on my iPod touch because the cord kept looping in front of the screen, whereas at the top it goes straight up from the top to your ears.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
Flip. There go all the extra 30 pin accessories I have!

Nah. There goes all the $10 bills you have in your wallet though, based on the price of the Magsafe to Magsafe2 adapter.

The headphone port on the bottom was always annoying on my iPod touch because the cord kept looping in front of the screen, whereas at the top it goes straight up from the top to your ears.

Yes, but it's possible Apple understands this and will let the iPhone 5 screen rotate like the iPad so this won't be an issue.

coolbreeze
Jun 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
Micro USB for charging.

This new-fangled proprietary connector (ugh) for the rare times someone needs to sync with iTunes. Or wants to connect to a media dock of some sort.

Why is that so hard, Apple?

DavidLeblond
Jun 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
So you really don't get it that an 10 year old connector can became rather useless because of its size (which is of utmost importance in these devices) and a smaller connector could do the same thing with half the size? Do you really not see the benefit of using a smaller new connector? You really want the world's most forward looking technology company to stick with an old connector just because? Wouldn't you rather see it march into the future making the best products?

Did you really not even respond to a thing I said? Do you really think that leaving behind an entire ecosystem of devices is a brilliant idea? Do you really think that having half of your company's devices using one connector and half of them using a different connector is the best idea in the world? Do you really like being condescending?:rolleyes:

somethingelsefl
Jun 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
I've owned an iPod touch with the headphone jack at the bottom, and I've owned an iPhone and iPad with the headphone at the top...I definitely prefer the jack at the top, especially after using both types. The bottom jack stabs into my hand when I hold it, and was more likely to pop out unintentionally.

But that's just my preference, whatever...

I think Apple made this decision based more on internal componets rather than "the flippity flop of putting a phone upside down in your pocket" that some people are arguing here...that's just nonsense.

UnSainted
Jun 21, 2012, 08:51 AM

This is purely about making the dock connector physically smaller so that future devices can themselves be made smaller and thinner.

Isn't Thunderbolt (lightpeak)an Intel technology? Are there any Intel internals in the iPhone? I don't really see this happening myself.

sk58781111
Jun 21, 2012, 08:53 AM
so the iphone 5 is just an elongated iphone 4?....how disappointing :(

SVTVenom
Jun 21, 2012, 08:54 AM
Significantly bigger?
"58.47 mm wide, 123.83 mm high and 7.6 mm thin..."

The current 4S is 58.6 mm wide, 115.2 mm high, and 9.3 mm thin. So the new one is a tiny bit less wide, thinner, and roughly 0.3 inches taller. That's hardly significantly bigger. It will probably actually feel smaller than the 4S if those specs are true.

ThunderSkunk
Jun 21, 2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah, well we work with high grade Titanium all day long, and it's easy enough to work with using the right tools, perhaps they could. who knows?
It would still be a pig to manufacture though.
Far better to mould something (even metal) into shape.

Hah, yea, there's no way they're going to spend all day hogging out grade 5 billet on a mill. They'd make a few thousand phones a year and each one would cost tens of thousands of dollars to pay down the tooling investment...

If they did Ti, they'd have to forge em. A hundred at a time, & probably just from grade 2, like every other cheap "titanium" consumer product. At that point, 6061 aluminum would be an improvement, but you know, "titanium" sounds cool.

Elijahg
Jun 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
The "new" dock connector will be proprietary as well, but I bet it has thunderbolt/USB 3 capabilities.

It won't be Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is PCI-Express, no part of the iPhone uses PCI-E, plus the TB chip is about half the width and depth of the iPhone. Apple would have to convert the USB signals generated by the ARM chip into PCI-E. Also, going on existing prices, the cheap $2 "iPod" cable would cost about $50.

USB 3 would be somewhat pointless too, as it's not USB that's the bottleneck when syncing the iPhone, it's the slow NAND flash.

cgk.emu
Jun 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
Exactly. The "iPhone 5" is vaporware. Apple is moving to the same model they use on their computers. You don't go buy an iMac 125, you just buy the newest iMac. I just want the newest/current iPhone, no need to give it a descriptor. An iPhone is an iPhone. The thing other phone manufacturers haven't figured out. No matter what model you own... Everyone thinks the iPhone is cool and it's still an "iPhone" android phoes have too many names. I applaud apple for simplifying it.

Vaporware? Apple hasn't announced it yet. Vaporware is a product announced with no specs listed for a long period of time.

class77
Jun 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
I'm not real excited about a thinner phone. There is a point where thinner actually makes the phone harder to hold/less comfortable to hold.

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Jun 21, 2012, 09:08 AM
Apple doesn't move the headphone ports for functional purposes. More often, they move it because the internal design dictates it.

I don't care if the speaker grilles are asymmetrical. One is a speaker, the other a microphone. I don't look at it enough to care.

If USB3 makes synching faster, bring it on. Maybe more info in the cloud can save synching time? Why back up apps when synching? Just backup the app data and let iTunes download the app from the PC.

Aluminum can be anodized to harden it. I hate cases and bumpers because they make a super-thin design thicker.

IMHO Curved is more comfortable than flat. I actually preferred the 3GS over the 4.

puckhead193
Jun 21, 2012, 09:13 AM
I was looking forward to a totally new design but we shall see. I sure hope apple or a 3rd party will make adapters. I really don't feel like buying a new iHome radio...

Navdakilla
Jun 21, 2012, 09:14 AM
the "iPod" connector as been the same for more than 10 years already. Change is just a matter of time.

Exactly, I would be okay with this, and then eventually making all my 30 pin chargers into 19 pin (probably have about 5 of them all around the house and office).

CindyRed
Jun 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Every time a new iPhone is released a knockoff of it is produced roughly around the same time. To stay ahead of the game, a lot of these knockoffs have tried to extrapolate what the next redesign would look like and push that out the door. The most obvious of these have been the "iPhone 5G". It was released the same time as the iPhone 4S, and looked almost legitimate. The real difference was that the edges were tapered and the corners were rounded, looking a lot like what people suspected the new iPhone would look like before the 4S was announced.

The question here is: Is it possible that the "leaked" parts may just be parts from manufacturers ramping up for knockoff production?

oliversl
Jun 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
So this *is* the iPhone 5 then? My wildest dreams is still that Apple made up this iPhone 5 leak. They don't do that, but still I'm entitled to dream.

diamond.g
Jun 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
I sure hope you're right.
Two daisy-chainable thunderbolt ports and nothing to plug into them
Two comparatively slow USB ports that every other periph made compete for.

It'd be great if Apples own stuff didn't have to go lowest common denominator, & could just take advantage of its own better built-in option.

I will be interested in seeing what they charge for the cable if it did use Thunderbolt. Something tells me very few folks will buy a 50 USD cable (nor would Apple include such cable with the device).

ogun7
Jun 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Oh, h*ll no... I'm not falling for the "Mobile Fun" iPhone 5 cases again.

I think we're all in for a rude awakening come this Fall. Remember all the iPod touch shaped iPhone leaks? Or the wedge shaped iPhone that looked like a micro MacBook Air?

----------

Every time a new iPhone is released a knockoff of it is produced roughly around the same time. To stay ahead of the game, a lot of these knockoffs have tried to extrapolate what the next redesign would look like and push that out the door. The most obvious of these have been the "iPhone 5G". It was released the same time as the iPhone 4S, and looked almost legitimate. The real difference was that the edges were tapered and the corners were rounded, looking a lot like what people suspected the new iPhone would look like before the 4S was announced.

The question here is: Is it possible that the "leaked" parts may just be parts from manufacturers ramping up for knockoff production?

Or discarded design prototypes used just to foil and track leakers.

pubwvj
Jun 21, 2012, 09:41 AM
I must be the only one that likes the glass back.

Yes, you must be.

The thing is glass doesn't scratch the way metals do

Yea, glass breaks instead. Give me metal over glass any day. The scratches are trivial.

but is far more appealing to the touch than plastic.

Better yet, give me something like the black case of the old Macintosh Powerbook G3. That was sexy, pleasing to the touch, indestructible and didn't show scratches so you should be happy.

As to the connector, just go with thunder and get the transition over with.

pmz
Jun 21, 2012, 09:44 AM

It won't be Thunderbolt. Apple just launched brand new Macs with USB 3, they want you to go out and buy those (and you should ;)).

This will be a totally new Apple-designed USB 2/3 Mag Safe connection that will be the new "dock connector" replacing the old on all iDevices.

It will work blazingly fast with new USB 3 machines, and of course also work with any USB 2 machine with same cable.

Glassed Silver
Jun 21, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yea but everything with a MagSafe weighs at least 1.08 kg (11-inch MBA). For a MagSafe to work on an iPhone (140 g), the magnet would have to be super weak. As awesome as an iOS device MagSafe would be, dunno if that would work.

Exactly.
What happens when an iPhone drops?
Many times nothing.

Now with a MagSafe connector, the risk of corrupting the synch process by accidentally pulling out the cable ... (especially if you don't work on the desk but in your bed with your Macbook or on the couch / on the go / ...)

Glassed Silver:mac

skeep5
Jun 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
calling BS on this rumor, headphone jack on the bottom? nope

JayInNJ
Jun 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Still about 15 pins too many.

pmau
Jun 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
calling BS on this rumor, headphone jack on the bottom? nope

As soon as you hold it in your hands, it makes perfect sense...

npggirl
Jun 21, 2012, 10:25 AM

They will have adapters....
And the headphone jack rumor is old news. :o

tshort
Jun 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
Headphone jack on the bottom makes sense, like the iPod Mini and the iPod Touch.

The headphone jack won't include composite video. Apple originally did that on the video iPod, then quickly removed it on the next iteration. The headphone jack has a tip and 3 rings: ground, right, left, and microphone. No space for composite video there.

Heck composite video inputs are starting to get harder and harder to find. My Sharp Aquos LCD TV requires a special (non-standard, but still easy to get) cable to support composite video.

With Airplay and being able to access the video files over the dock connector, everything is moving digitally.

While I think the correct thing for Apple to do is to use a micro-USB connector (as mandated by the EU), I don't think they will. The fees they get from the manufacturers for a proprietary connector is just too appealing.

Although, if they did use micro-USB, they could potentially use the same trick they did in the gum-stick version of the iPod Shuffle, where they had extra pins in the USB jack (behind and between the standard USB pins) for audio output. This arrangement would still require a special cable (possibly chipped) for the extra audio/video features, but a standard micro-USB cable could be used for charging and syncing.

It'd be neat to have USB3 support as well. I doubt there'd be Thunderbolt syncing. Most PCs (Windows and Macs included), do not have Thunderbolt built-in. My almost 3-year-old MacBook Pro (that I just put an SSD in to extend its life), and my 24" iMac do not have Thunderbolt and I would be disappointed if that were the only way.

Note that the latest iPhones support WiFi Syncing when charging...

npggirl
Jun 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
damn it, apple

now i have to change all connectors in the car, at home and in the office? And all docks, chargers and cables are no longer compatible.

Hate it!

a-dap-terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ixodes
Jun 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
Fewer pins = lighter weight. Apple is such an innovator. :eek:

npggirl
Jun 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
How is this not enough of a design change? Just changing the screen size (something they've never done) seems like a pretty big change to me.

IMO, it is not a pretty big change if all they do is elongate the darn thing. A stretched 4/4S is just .... meh.

xgman
Jun 21, 2012, 10:32 AM
19 Pins? Not 20? Not 18? OH . . MY . . GOD! I haven't been this excited since the new phone books arrived!! :rolleyes:

Big-TDI-Guy
Jun 21, 2012, 10:39 AM
MagSafe + Magnetic items in my pocket sounds like fun! Looking forward to my keys, pocket knife, headphone plug, and pens getting stuck to the phone.

Also, on a device the size of an iPhone, I could imagine having magnets inside it may have a detrimental impact on the internal magnetometer. You can calibrate it with the magnets, but as for when a cable is plugged in, that calibration is void.

But I really feel for the poor bloke who bought that huge 10,000 watt dock, as that's now useless! ;)

saxon48
Jun 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Make a 19-to-30 pin adapter and I'll be pleased!

robopath
Jun 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
Exactly.

Now with a MagSafe connector, the risk of corrupting the synch process by accidentally pulling out the cable ... (especially if you don't work on the desk but in your bed with your Macbook or on the couch / on the go / ...)

With wifi sync, there is no longer the fear of corrupting the sync process. Notice when you sync now, it does not say "sync in progress". Instead there is the spinning wheel at the top. You can unplug in the middle of the sync and it will continue in the background.

----------

Make a 19-to-30 pin adapter and I'll be pleased!

I promise that there will be an adapter, maybe even in the box. They did it for the magsafe 2 and there are exponentially more 30 pin docks in the wild then magsafe 1's.

JasonElise1983
Jun 21, 2012, 10:58 AM
Vaporware? Apple hasn't announced it yet. Vaporware is a product announced with no specs listed for a long period of time.

I was using the term Vaporware loosely. But it actually does almost fit. It was Yahoo and Google's most searched term of 2011 I believe before the 4S came out, so it's a product that Apple didn't have to announce, everyone expected. I'm theorizing that it doesn't exist at all, and we'll have a new iPhone, but it won't be called the iPhone 5. Really, no matter what it shouldn't be anyway. If you go by iPhone naming trends, it should be the iPhone 6.

iPhone (1)
iPhone 3G (2)
iPhone 3GS (3)
iPhone 4 (4)
iPhone 4S (5 because they counted the 3GS as 3 with the same level of update)
iPhone 6

-JE

-LikesMac-
Jun 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
I still think that Thunderbolt should be put in, along with USB3. There would be 2 cables: One for iPhone to Thunderbolt, and one for iPhone to USB3.

Can't the iPhone's memory can't handle speeds that are in excess of that of USB3?

cvaldes
Jun 21, 2012, 11:02 AM
This is a very short-sighted comment.

The opportunity here is for improvement.

If Apple can reduce the size of the dock connector, that frees up precious real estate for other things, particularly a larger speaker for better audio playback quality.

The venerable 30-pin dock connector design has really run its course. Over the years, it has seen a few changes in terms of supported functionality (FireWire charging and some analog video output support). Today, there are a bunch of leftover/wasted pins.

Another thing that's obsolete is the locking mechanism of the older, larger dock connector. I still have a few of these cables around and they do lock onto my iPad 2, but they don't latch onto my iPhone 4S. Apple has since moved to a low-profile connector without the locking mechanism.

A magnetic connector like the MagSafe would offer a solid connection that requires a little bit of effort to remove, but not a locked connection that might be dangerous to the device if someone tripped over the cable or the device fell.

So between a combination of changing technologies and an improved understanding of how consumers use their iOS devices today really does warrant for a change.

spazzcat
Jun 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
I hope they are going to have some kind of converter. I have so many things that use the 30 pin.

amarcus
Jun 21, 2012, 11:12 AM
I feel sorry for all those kickstarter iPhone dock backers - outdated before they even ship!

cvaldes
Jun 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
I still think that Thunderbolt should be put in, along with USB3. There would be 2 cables: One for iPhone to Thunderbolt, and one for iPhone to USB3.

Can't the iPhone's memory can't handle speeds that are in excess of that of USB3?
There are several issues here.

First of all, Apple would include a "new 19-pin dock" cable with USB3 support since the telecom industry has stipulated the use of a standardized charger based on USB.

An iPhone-to-Thunderbolt cable would likely be an optional item, particularly since a much smaller percentage of the users have Thunderbolt devices.

USB is pretty much ubiquitous: there are charging stations in airport terminals with USB.

Also, from a chip and power standpoint, it may not make a lot of sense including both Thunderbolt and USB3 support in a space- and power-challenged device like the iPhone. More chips = more power. But more chips = less space for batteries. Remember, that's one reason why Apple has yet to include 4G LTE support in the iPhone. The additional chips took up too much real estate and needed to much power. Tim Cook mentioned this about a year ago.

----------

I hope they are going to have some kind of converter. I have so many things that use the 30 pin.
I don't think you need to worry.

Either Apple or a third-party accessory maker will provide the converter cable. Many early adopters will probably gripe about the pricing, but in three years, you'll probably be able to pick up one of these cables off eBay for five bucks.

michael31986
Jun 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hopefully the make an adapter so I can use sole older accessories and hopefully the doc connector doesn't go into the iPods as well. Cause I know I'll be mad about that most.

Rocketman
Jun 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
There has to be a post somewhere of a hardware geek ruminating on what the 19 leads do.

EnigMoiD
Jun 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
I'm going to echo predictions that the new connector will be Thunderbolt. If Apple's making a new connector anyway, why not? It'll mean faster transfer rates, it will give the port that's useless for most users some use, and it will be a chance to sell more adapters. Seems like an Apple choice.

MickeyDK
Jun 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hey people.

Back in 2009, Apple joined a lot of other mobile phone manufactures effort to ensure the use of micro USb as charging port by no later than 2012.

Just look at the size - I think the port could be for that.

Source:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/06/30/apple-joins-micro-usb-charger-agreement/1

I've not been able to find anywhere, that the agreement should be abandoned by Apple or others.

Kabeyun
Jun 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
"1. The phone is much bigger..."

Really??
iPhone 4:
58.6 mm wide
115.2 mm high
9.3 mm thick

iPhone 5?:
58.47 wide
123.83 mm high
7.6 mm thick

The 5 is narrower and thinner, and longer by all of 8 mm. Wow, I'd better get pants with bigger pockets!

OllyW
Jun 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hey people.

Back in 2009, Apple joined a lot of other mobile phone manufactures effort to ensure the use of micro USb as charging port by no later than 2012.

Just look at the size - I think the port could be for that.

Source:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/06/30/apple-joins-micro-usb-charger-agreement/1

I've not been able to find anywhere, that the agreement should be abandoned by Apple or others.

The EU regulation covered the mains charger and not the phone. Apple's current chargers comply with the rules as interchangeable cables & adaptors are allowed.

thebeans
Jun 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
Why is the headset jack on the bottom?? That really sucks.

Because that is where it should be. Why can't people understand this?

----------

The MagSafe connector DOES have pins — five of them. The magnets just line them up for you, but they're there.

Yea, but they only just touch. They are not tiny and fragile and have no need to go very far back in the female connector. Since the magnet holds the two parts together, the pins only need to touch and are therefore much more durable and resistant to damage. Magsafe is a brilliant, forehead palm, why didn't someone think of this before design. When I first saw it on my macbook years ago, it was an epiphany. I realized it was the ultimate design for that application. Magsafe on a phone will not keep the phone from flying onto the floor if someone trips over the cord, but it will prevent damage to the pins / connectors.

thebeans
Jun 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
:rolleyes:What about the situations where your phone falls of a table for example and you catch it by the cord? MagSafe will fall off.

Yea...that happens ALL the time!! :rolleyes:

----------

Does microUSB have audio out? Video out?

wizard
Jun 21, 2012, 01:00 PM

Besides it is broken in more than a couple of ways. So yeah time to fix it.

whatever
Jun 21, 2012, 01:09 PM

The "EU was going to beat it out of Apple"? LOL, the world's economic experts are debating whether or not the EU will even be around in a few years.

Beyond charging, is it even necessary to have an iPod dock connector? With more and more devices having WiFi and BlueTooth, wouldn't that be the way to go and just use Micro USB for charging.

FoxMcCloud
Jun 21, 2012, 01:10 PM
I always did feel that 30 pins was 11 to many

wizard
Jun 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Apple could do something similar to this.

You could use a standard MicroUSB cable for charging and data... plus have the additional pins for other stuff when you use the Apple cable.

That would solve the EU problem... and still allows for further capability. The only question is if Apple could cram all 19 pins into a plug this size.

But MicroUSB should be incorporated somehow into the new design... if for nothing else besides charging and data.

If Apple changes the dock connector at all... we're gonna have to deal with the issues of older 30-pin accessories. So if they are gonna make any change... they better make it worth it. MicroUSB would be a nice addition.

Frankly I'm all for this rumored update, hopefully it supports both USB3 and Thunderbolt. What I'm hoping to see is a more reliable port, that is faster and more open.

The more open thing Apple will screw with of course but one can hope. Apples approach to MiFi has its points but it does eliminate DIY use of the iPhones ports. Apple would do well to support communications devices just like they do other hardware.

In regards to TB I'm especially hoping that they wise up and don't require authentication for devices connected to this port. IOS devices have so much potential for embedding into one off projects that it is just shameful that they are actively prevented from doing so.

BumpMan
Jun 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'll guess that Apple has always wanted the headphone jack at the bottom, they just couldn't fit it with the iPhones Speaker, Mic, and wide 30 pin connector. The iPod has it on the bottom right? possible only because there not 2 speaker grills, just speaker no mic if I believe?

I recently got a car charger to 30 pin, and an audio chord that goes right into the 3.5mm AUX port in the car. Its a total monstrosity to have a cable coming out of the top and the bottom. Its very unwieldy.

Furthermore, Im pretty sure most people put the phone in their pants pocket upside down. When you take it out its right side up and you're holding it, "the right way".

Im guessing an iPhone 5 dock would have a 3.5mm port on the front, or someone will build one. The dock it seems will now take care of everything, even in the dock it will be nice not to have a headphone chord coming out of the top of the phone but rather laying neatly flat on the table.

CylonGlitch
Jun 21, 2012, 01:20 PM
For those claiming they want microUSB. USB is good for something, but not everything on the dock connector is easily done via USB.

Four very important signals, Analog in (Left & Right), and Analog out (Left & Right). These signals allow for a lot of accessories to easily send analog data in and out of the phone without having to deal with the USB bus and it's issues with handling analog data.

Another two signals are RS232 in and out (actually UART, not RS232 levels). This is just serial data in and out. This interface is VERY simple and easily implemented by devices that need simple communication to their software.

Yes, it has a full USB interface, Data +/- power and ground. These four signals will still exist; they have always been there and always will be there. They can be broken out to a micro, mini, or full-sized USB connector (USB on-the-go adds one additional signal that I don't recall seeing the sense line on the connector).

And believe it or not, it also has a FIREWIRE interface. I don't know how used this is, but it's there.

Now; there are issues with powering the device across USB. When connected to a PC it will typically get only 500mA of power. That is what a typical USB hub will supply (and every USB port on your computer is connected to an internal hub). But this still persists with the dock connector when plugged into a PC.

When connected to a stand alone brick the USB spec calls out 1.5A max. Which, for the most part very acceptable. But using the dock connector extra lines, more than this can be pushed into the device for faster charging.

While USB is great, if everything was to go USB there would be a lot of accessories that would really be screwed because they rely on the analog lines and the iPhone to do the D2A and A2D conversions. Imagine how crappy of D2A a cheap dock speaker would supply? Ugh.

wizard
Jun 21, 2012, 01:27 PM

Really guy, the current dock connector supports several channels of I/O, there is no reason the new port wouldn't. The question of course would be what do those 19 pins support. If one of the ports is Thunderbolt it wold be a huge advantage for Apple.

cgk.emu
Jun 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
I was using the term Vaporware loosely. But it actually does almost fit. It was Yahoo and Google's most searched term of 2011 I believe before the 4S came out, so it's a product that Apple didn't have to announce, everyone expected. I'm theorizing that it doesn't exist at all, and we'll have a new iPhone, but it won't be called the iPhone 5. Really, no matter what it shouldn't be anyway. If you go by iPhone naming trends, it should be the iPhone 6.

iPhone (1)
iPhone 3G (2)
iPhone 3GS (3)
iPhone 4 (4)
iPhone 4S (5 because they counted the 3GS as 3 with the same level of update)
iPhone 6

-JE

I honestly don't care what they call it, plus it doesn't matter. They could call it the Barfmaster 3000 and it would still sell. Still, it's not vaporware since it hasn't been announced. If the company had come out and confirmed it awhile back and it still hadn't been released, that is a very clear difference.

wizard
Jun 21, 2012, 01:36 PM
Exactly this. And i would also add that there is no real profit in using Thunderbolt because flash in the iOS devices can barely saturate USB 2.0.

You guys being all negative about TB need to buy some imagination improvement pills! Seriously think a bit here about the possibilities.

For example, with TB Apple could support several video monitor interface standards via adapters. I could go on but really you need to work on your critical thinking skills here.

By the way I have no idea what ports will be in the new connector. What I do see though is a total lack of imagination here in the forums. There are lots of good reasons for why Apple might want to support TB along with other I/O standards on the new connector.

brucebrendon
Jun 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
whatever happened to that universal (micro-usb) port required by the EU?
not that i'm suggesting, just wondered

wizard
Jun 21, 2012, 01:48 PM

I'm not sure if this is just a liberal nut case rant about how nice things would be if we just went back to living in caves or what. I will tell you this though I'm +50 and still grasp the importance of change, good positive change that is, and realize that we are still technological dinosaurs. If we had taken your view 30 years ago we would still be using pulse dial phones with brick like cell phones.

It has been ten years it is about time for change. This is especially the case considering the continual march forward with respect to interface technology.

wizard
Jun 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
Isn't Thunderbolt (lightpeak)an Intel technology? Are there any Intel internals in the iPhone? I don't really see this happening myself.

As to TB parts, TI just introduced a bunch of parts to support TB. The drivers in the TB cables are made by a third party.

Apple would have been stupid to enter into the TB agreement with Intel and to not have gotten the right to embed the interface into its chips. However let's not kid ourselves, this would be a major engineering project so it is no surprise that we have yet to see any hardware.

As to Intel, I'm not convinced that they can keep TB to themselves for ever if they want it to be successful. TB needs to eventually migrate to micro controllers and other devices not made by Intel. If not the interface will remain forever expensive.

spartig
Jun 21, 2012, 02:00 PM

Well, if the tech industry was not willing to accept change like you and others then you'd be attaching your iPhone/iPod to your computer with this! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Centronics_50_SCSI_connector.JPG

wizard
Jun 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
It won't be Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is PCI-Express, no part of the iPhone uses PCI-E,

The current iPhone chips don't. That doesn't mean that future device can't. Realistically all they need is a bridge from one of ARMs internal buses to PCI -Express.

plus the TB chip is about half the width and depth of the iPhone.

That is also a current problem but again means nothing in the future.

Apple would have to convert the USB signals generated by the ARM chip into PCI-E.

Doing that would be grossly stupid when they have much faster ARM buses they can attach a bridge to internally on the chip.

Also, going on existing prices, the cheap $2 "iPod" cable would cost about $50.

That is a problem but you make a huge mistake here thinking that the goal is for this to be the Normal interface on the iPhone. The USB interface would still be there. What this would give the iPhone is the ability to drive video screens and projectors, networking cards, docks and other assorted devices that the current dock has limited capacity to do.

USB 3 would be somewhat pointless too, as it's not USB that's the bottleneck when syncing the iPhone, it's the slow NAND flash.

This means nothing. First the flash will get somewhat faster but as you note even USB is fast enough. It is the abilities beyond the flash interface that makes TB interesting on iPhone.

SockRolid
Jun 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
Update: Robert Scoble [...] has learned from an industry contact that Apple's new dock connector will be magnetic much like the MagSafe connector used on Mac notebook ...

YES. (If true.)

Phenomenal4
Jun 21, 2012, 02:31 PM
the new phone will be 1/4" longer, 2 mm thinner, and exactly the same width, so it will be dorkilly long & awkward.
as usual, they have retards designing these.
...if yuh make it 1/4 longer, make it 1/4 wider also, be proportionate.
as i noticed with the 1st iPhone i got (3yrs ago), they didnt utilize the space on the front for screen. The screen on all iPhones so far, couldve been 4", 3/4" longer & 1/4" wider without changing the phones' external dimensions.
And, what ill affect will the alloy body of the new phone have on the antenna & signal strength.
And whats with the, "over 200 new features" everytime a new major iOS is released? we are shown 10 of them, where are the other 190?

The iPhone, should be released early in the year (march at the latest, every year, so that north american consumers can use it for the summer, not have to wait till the following summer), not only should the iPhone be released 1st, it should also have the newest & best of everything, every year, not release the same phone with 1 or 2 new things a year later every other year, thats lazy & stupid.
So, the new iPhone (5) should be 1/2" longer, 1/2" wider, with a 5 3/4" screen (retina display), a 10MP front & back camera (capable of recording/playback in 1080p or better), it should have LTE, 2GB RAM, 2.5Ghz quad core processor, 2 speakers (not 1), bigger speakers, "push push" nano SIM port, the micro USB charging port (that shouldve been on the 1st & every iPhone), the home button should be 1/2 the size, the battery should last (at least) 2x longer, the # of recharges that can be performed before battery replacement is required should be doubled, the headphone port put on the bottom (or side) with the headphone plug "L" shaped, Siri, an 80GB model, all that for no more than $900 US.

StyxMaker
Jun 21, 2012, 02:31 PM

I use mine (it's aluminum and only covers the back) to hold the Schneider Optics lenses (wide angle, fisheye, and 2x tele) I use with the iPhone's camera.

StyxMaker
Jun 21, 2012, 02:36 PM

I would welcome a "Mobile MagSafe" connector. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up my iPhone, forgetting that it's plugged in and have the plug yanked out of the bottom of the iPhone and the iPhone yanked out of my hand to land on the floor, at the same time.

SockRolid
Jun 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
[...] What this would give the iPhone is the ability to drive video screens and projectors, networking cards, docks and other assorted devices that the current dock has limited capacity to do.

But wouldn't Apple prefer wireless video mirroring via AirPlay?

[...] even USB is fast enough. It is the abilities beyond the flash interface that makes TB interesting on iPhone.

Agree. Slightly off-topic, and I'm not a hardware guy, but one of my crazy ideas for Apple is a Mac mini with optional Smart Case-like magnets on top and/or bottom, and optional MagSafe optical Thunderbolt connectors on top and/or bottom. Just snap together several of them for loosely-coupled yet low-latency multi-processing.

Rebel Hedgehog
Jun 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
As someone who has invested a lot of money in a b&w zeppelin I will not be impressed if the new iPhone is not compatible!!!

manu chao
Jun 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
I must be the only one that likes the glass back. The thing is glass doesn't scratch the way metals do, but is far more appealing to the touch than plastic. The whole glass shattering thing doesn't make a difference to me because I never want my phone to drop anyways.
I fully agree, I like the glass back as well, it has a nice haptic feeling. To me the only downside is that it makes the device heavier. If you want a rugged phone, it needs rubber on the outside (eg, via the famous bumpers).

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
I fully agree, I like the glass back as well, it has a nice haptic feeling. To me the only downside is that it makes the device heavier. If you want a rugged phone, it needs rubber on the outside (eg, via the famous bumpers).

This is getting way off-topic, but one unfortunate problem with bumpers is, if you have ferrets like I do, they will often get a taste for the rubber and drag away your phone at the first opportunity they get!

Twixt
Jun 21, 2012, 04:20 PM
the new phone will be 1/4" longer, 2 mm thinner, and exactly the same width, so it will be dorkilly long & awkward.
as i noticed with the 1st iPhone i got (3yrs ago), they didnt utilize the space on the front for screen. The screen on all iPhones so far, couldve been 4", 3/4" longer & 1/4" wider without changing the phones' external dimensions.
And, what ill affect will the alloy body of the new phone have on the antenna & signal strength.
And whats with the, "over 200 new features" everytime a new major iOS is released? we are shown 10 of them, where are the other 190?

The iPhone, should be released early in the year (march at the latest, every year, so that north american consumers can use it for the summer, not have to wait till the following summer), not only should the iPhone be released 1st, it should also have the newest & best of everything, every year, not release the same phone with 1 or 2 new things a year later every other year, thats lazy & stupid.
So, the new iPhone (5) should be 1/2" longer, 1/2" wider, with a 5 3/4" screen (retina display), a 10MP front & back camera (capable of recording/playback in 1080p or better), it should have LTE, 2GB RAM, 2.5Ghz quad core processor, 2 speakers (not 1), bigger speakers, "push push" nano SIM port, the micro USB charging port (that shouldve been on the 1st & every iPhone), the home button should be 1/2 the size, the battery should last (at least) 2x longer, the # of recharges that can be performed before battery replacement is required should be doubled, the headphone port put on the bottom (or side) with the headphone plug "L" shaped, Siri, an 80GB model, all that for no more than $900 US.

Agree

adder7712
Jun 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
They could've used microUSB instead.

ScooterLibby
Jun 21, 2012, 05:50 PM

You cannot have both LTE and a Spring release. Everybody whining about the fall release are ignorant to the fact that that Apple is waiting for the smaller 22 nm LTE chips before they will put LTE in their phone. If you actually pay attention to things like the fab process and are aware of what Apple is willing to live with (not the power hungry 45nm LTE chips), you'd have know awhile back that 22nm was slow going and wouldn't be ready until late Summer/early Fall.

mrxak
Jun 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
Whatever the connector is on future iProducts, the other end will be USB, not Thunderbolt!, for the same reason Apple transitioned away from Firewire back in the day. People forget, Apple doesn't just sell iProducts to Mac users, and I don't see a lot of people out there with Thunderbolt! ports besides Mac users.

I also don't think we'll see a MagSafe connector, unless Apple is taking all data to Wifi. We might see such a thing come 802.11ac, but right now? Eh...

I would love Thunderbolt! and MagSafe all over the place, but it's just not feasible right now.

aliensporebomb
Jun 21, 2012, 07:11 PM
In a way the previous poster is right: USB may not be glamorous, may not be as fast as thunderbolt or firewire but it has three advantages (1) small (2) is power efficient and (3) more importantly ubiquitous. Name me a single computer produced in the last ten or eleven years WITHOUT USB and you'd be hard pressed.

Besides, do you really want a SCSI port on your iPhone? Parallel port? No?

OK.

The other thought: the recent Macbook Pro rollout has proven Apple is thinking: smaller, thinner, taking the leading edge.

That's where they need to go to keep their iPhone market leader position. Look what happened to RIM. Five years ago an IT or businessperson without a blackberry would be unthinkable. Now they've lost their hardware manufacturer.

Apple means to stay number one. A 4S-like incremental upgrade phone for the next release isn't going to do it.

zackkmac
Jun 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
I don't know but to me those large holes in the speaker grilles are so ugly and look like something a Chinese knockoff manufacturer would do. I can see Apple making the phone resemble other parts of this design, and definitely the smaller dock connector, but definitely not those holes..

JuBe
Jun 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
Am I the only one that remembers that Apple signed a pact over in Europe that supported implemented a universal charger (i.e. micro or mini USB... I don't remember which)?

SirHaakon
Jun 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
It wouldn't be the first time:

http://i.imgur.com/d1j11.jpg
I didn't say it was the first time... I was just wondering why on earth they would make such a poor ergonomic choice for their flagship product.

----------

I mean the way most people put their phone in their pocket is upside down.
You guys are weird. :P

macUser2007
Jun 21, 2012, 08:32 PM

Like what?

Connect to iTunes, or charge your phone?

I can't think of a single thing that cannot be done with a Micro USB3.

Other than get a few more licensing fees in Apple's war chest, so they can go onto their IP war with more legal fees to try to kill off the competition. Oh, and keep iDevice users in the fold, since they already have the peripherals.

The proprietary connector is not good for consumers, it's good only for Apple.

I suppose EU users will get a USB adapter in the box anyway, since the EU courts slapped Apple on the connector extortion.

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
Like what?

Connect to iTunes, or charge your phone?

I can't think of a single thing that cannot be done with a Micro USB3.

Other than get a few more licensing fees in Apple's war chest, so they can go onto their IP war with more legal fees to try to kill off the competition. Oh, and keep iDevice users in the fold, since they already have the peripherals.

The proprietary connector is not good for consumers, it's good only for Apple.

I suppose EU users will get a USB adapter in the box anyway, since the EU courts slapped Apple on the connector extortion.

In addition to being a USB slave and host, the current 30-pin connector can supply considerably more power to the device (10w vs 2.5-5w), does line-out audio, video out, and direct controls. Of these the first is arguably the most important, as charging an iPad, especially the latest model, over USB is less than ideal. With any luck the newer connector will supply even more.

Oh, another thing is that it clicks in. Which is handy for keeping accessories securely attached.

macUser2007
Jun 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
In addition to being a USB slave and host, the current 30-pin connector can supply considerably more power to the device (10w vs 2.5-5w), does line-out audio, video out, and direct controls. Of these the first is arguably the most important, as charging an iPad, especially the latest model, over USB is less than ideal. With any luck the newer connector will supply even more.

Oh, another thing is that it clicks in. Which is handy for keeping accessories securely attached.

Seriously?

USB3 delivers 900 mA, which is totally fine every power-hungry Android tablet or 5" phone out there, but the iPhone needs more?

Plus, EU users already get the court-mandated USB adapters, so this can't really be the issue.

Oh, and I thought Apple was all about slim and trim.... The iConnector is HUGE compared to the Micro USB's footprint.

APlotdevice
Jun 21, 2012, 09:17 PM
Seriously?

USB3 delivers 900 mA, which is totally fine every power-hungry Android tablet or 5" phone out there, but the iPhone needs more?

Plus, EU users already get the court-mandated USB adapters, so this can't really be the issue.

Oh, and I thought Apple was all about slim and trim.... The iConnector is HUGE compared to the Micro USB's footprint.

I said iPad, not iPhone. Since inevitably they will use the same connector. And the iPad is a lot more power hungry.

Glassed Silver
Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 PM
With wifi sync, there is no longer the fear of corrupting the sync process. Notice when you sync now, it does not say "sync in progress". Instead there is the spinning wheel at the top. You can unplug in the middle of the sync and it will continue in the background.

----------

I promise that there will be an adapter, maybe even in the box. They did it for the magsafe 2 and there are exponentially more 30 pin docks in the wild then magsafe 1's.

Not always you're connected to the same network.
And no, the sync spinning wheel instead of the usage block is just so that you can, well, use your device.

Cutting of the synching can result in data corruption.
Well obviously it will try better to resolve that than a HDD that get's unplugged from a power source and has no way to help things smooth out (apart from the band-aid journaling is (FS feature)) - still not ideal.

macUser2007
Jun 22, 2012, 04:02 AM
I said iPad, not iPhone. Since inevitably they will use the same connector. And the iPad is a lot more power hungry.

Does this mean that the iPad is so much more power-hungry than all of the 10.1" tablets out there that it needs its own proprietary connector?

Or does it mean that all EU users, who use the USB adapter Apple is required to include there, are doomed to suffer in some sort of USB Hell?

Come on.... :rolleyes:

APlotdevice
Jun 22, 2012, 04:12 AM
Does this mean that the iPad is so much more power-hungry than all of the 10.1" tablets out there that it needs its own proprietary connector?

Or does it mean that all EU users, who use the USB adapter Apple is required to include there, are doomed to suffer in some sort of USB Hell?

Come on.... :rolleyes:

Do some research. Those competing tablets typically have proprietary power connectors as well. Either separate to or part of the data cable.

mauriziocorso77
Jun 22, 2012, 04:12 AM

This. The iPad CANNOT be charged via MicroUSB. For this reason they need something that can pump more power, hence their new connector for all new iOS devices.