PDA

View Full Version : Can I use DisplayPort and Thunderbolt at the same time?

Nemic
Jun 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air 13 inch with a single Thunderbolt port.

I have the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter cable which I am able to use to run a Dell 24 inch monitor - this cable connects to both the DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port and also a USB port on the Air.

I want to be able to run this Dell monitor, and also run a Thunderbolt hard drive - one with 2 Thunderbolt ports.

Is this possible?

Can I connect the DisplayPort part of the cable to the pass-through Thunderbolt port on the hard drive, and then connect the hard drive to the Thunderbolt port on the Air?

Thanks, for any advice :-)

I would like to buy the Apple Thunderbolt display (which would solve this issue), but I suspect it will be refreshed soon. So I don't intend to get one until then.

mikeray
Jun 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
I would like to buy the Apple Thunderbolt display (which would solve this issue), but I suspect it will be refreshed soon. So I don't intend to get one until then.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Also, you can sell them used for almost as much as you bought it new. It's out right now and it's awesome.

Nemic
Jun 21, 2012, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Also, you can sell them used for almost as much as you bought it new. It's out right now and it's awesome.

Yes, I realise that it might be a wait, but I am just not prepared to spend the cash - especially as it's almost a year old. If they release a new model with USB 3.0 then I will get one of those.

Nemic
Jun 22, 2012, 08:41 AM
OK I can confirm that this does in fact work.

As follows:

Macbook Air - connect to Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt (Using Thunderbolt cable)
Seagate Goflex Thunderbolt pass-through to a Dell 24 Inch monitor (using Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter cable).
Both the Seagate GoFlex and the Dell 24 inch monitor work :-)

I am very pleased that this works, I have no plans to get a Thunderbolt monitor, until at least Gen II now :-)