PDA

View Full Version : Kuo forecasting Retina Air in October

macbook123
Jun 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Not sure if this has been posted here, but because it convinced me personally to not get the new Air now, I believe it deserves a separate thread:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/15/3088889/13-inch-macbook-pro-retina-display-release-date-rumor

GREEN4U
Jun 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hmmm, so should I wait?!?! Going to phd school this fall.... Thanks.

----------

Wait - that says Pro. Not Air.

KylePowers
Jun 21, 2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah that article is regarding a 13in retina MBP.

And yes, there has been at least 1 front-page article regarding this rumor.

dietcokemac
Jun 21, 2012, 01:28 PM
this deals with the MBP, I would guess the MBA won't be getting a retina display this year. Maybe next?

brentsg
Jun 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
They will need to grow the battery capacity to add the retina display. They grew the 15" battery by about 22.5% to accomodate.

That's going to be tough with the Air.

macbook123
Jun 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
They will need to grow the battery capacity to add the retina display. They grew the 15" battery by about 22.5% to accomodate.

That's going to be tough with the Air.

Unless they use IGZO technology (rumor has it they're in with Sharp).

joekun
Jun 21, 2012, 04:24 PM
I think rumors of retina airs are wishful thinking for at least 2 years. Apple has made a new class of notebooks to carry this new display, I don't see them quickly moving to add it to macs that cost $1000 less. At that point their new MBP line will be much less compelling. Of course it will happen, but I think minimum 2 years. 13" Retina MBP this year? Maybe, but it's still going to come with a hefty price premium.

Beau10
Jun 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
I think rumors of retina airs are wishful thinking for at least 2 years. Apple has made a new class of notebooks to carry this new display, I don't see them quickly moving to add it to macs that cost $1000 less. At that point their new MBP line will be much less compelling. Of course it will happen, but I think minimum 2 years. 13" Retina MBP this year? Maybe, but it's still going to come with a hefty price premium.

I feel it will be coming with Haswell if the power reduction and graphic improvements come in tow.

As far as price bracketing/cannibalization, I don't think Apple takes a hardline approach here. The 13" MBA has had for nearly 2 years a superior screen to the Pro variant. They introduced retina on the iPhone and iPad first with no increase in price. They jumped right ahead to a 15" screen. The yield cost for the 11" will be similar to the iPad and the 13" surely less than the 15" if they had to do it today, a year from now, probably considerably less and perhaps at a point where the margins wouldn't get affected. And they could very well simply split the line like they did with the Pros if this isn't the case and pass the buck onto the consumer. 2 years seems very long considering for the past 3 years in a row they've introduced retina on a different product line. I see the 13" MBP getting retina by the end of the year, then probably fall next year coming to the MBAs once ULV Haswell is released.

Beanoir
Jun 21, 2012, 04:39 PM

Agreed.

kristoffer4
Jun 21, 2012, 05:20 PM

Couldn't agree more! It will be a couple of years.

dcorban
Jun 21, 2012, 06:29 PM
This thread appears to be full of people with new Airs nodding along with each other's claims of no retina 13" this year. Wishful thinking! Sorry, boys, but it will be here faster than you'd like.

I just bought the new 13" Air, but I will have no hesitation in buying the retina on day zero, even if it is released the day after my return period expires.

GBlansten
Jun 21, 2012, 06:39 PM
This thread appears to be full of people with new Airs nodding along with each other's claims of no retina 13" this year. Wishful thinking! Sorry, boys, but it will be here faster than you'd like.

I just bought the new 13" Air, but I will have no hesitation in buying the retina on day zero, even if it is released the day after my return period expires.

I just got a 13" MBA and I'm loving the thin size and low weight of the MBA. The 13" MBP will be good for a lot of people but this isn't my main computer and I'm for the smallest/thinnest 13" ultra book I can find. I do agree that Apple is very likely to come out with a retina 13 this fall.