PDA

View Full Version : Would this Macbook Air be more powerful than my '07 MBP?

PhaserFuzz
Jun 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'm considering buying this configuration:

13 inch
2.0 GHz Dual-Core i7
8 GB RAM
512 GB Flash drive

This is my '07 MBP specs:

15 inch
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
160 GB HDD

My question is.. would the Air be a decent upgrade from my 5 year old MBP? Also, how would it's integrated graphics compare to the NVIDIA? Thanks for any help!

WAM2
Jun 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
I'm considering buying this configuration:

13 inch
2.0 GHz Dual-Core i7
8 GB RAM
512 GB Flash drive

This is my '07 MBP specs:

15 inch
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
160 GB HDD

My question is.. would the Air be a decent upgrade from my 5 year old MBP? Also, how would it's integrated graphics compare to the NVIDIA? Thanks for any help!

Its better all around. Your 8600m will fail soon enough so might as well go for it.

PhaserFuzz
Jun 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks. Another question: would the screen be better? I have the matte display on my MBP. I would assume the new screen of the Air would be noticeably better and sharper?

dona83
Jun 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
Same res, smaller screen will be sharper. You'll have to judge on the glossy vs. matte yourself. Professionals hate it, as a user who just does CAD work, I don't mind it. For surfing the web and watching videos, I prefer it.

Even the base Core i5 will run circles around your MBP. The video card is also faster, Intel's come a long way with their integrated graphics.

Boyd01
Jun 21, 2012, 03:01 PM
I have the exact same 15" MBP as yours. I upgraded to a 2011 13" i5 1.7ghz 4gb/256gb MBA in February. CPU tasks are almost twice as fast on the MBA and disk access is probably 4x to 5x faster. The 2012 model you are considering is even faster than mine and has twice the RAM and SSD. So it will be a huge performance increase for you.

Regarding the screen, the resolution is the same and that is nice since the migration asst will arrange your desktop just like your MBP and windows will be the same size (same number of pixels) as you're used to. But recently I fired up my old MBP after not using it for a long time and thought, "wow, I forgot how nice that 15" LED screen was".

The MBA screen is nice enough, but not as pretty IMO. But not a bad compromise considering the improved performance and small size. Personally, I use my MBA connected to my old 23" Apple Cinema Display 90% of the time anyway.

GREEN4U
Jun 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
But recently I fired up my old MBP after not using it for a long time and thought, "wow, I forgot how nice that 15" LED screen was".

This is what worries me. I have a 15" Powerbook with a pretty nice screen. Every time I've gone to check out the Airs I'm not too impressed by the screen, and when I go home to my PB, I say the same thing you did. But, its time to upgrade. :(

Boyd01
Jun 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
I have a 15" Powerbook with a pretty nice screen.

Well I also have a 15" PowerBook G4, the aluminum one that looks just the same as my 15" MacBook Pro. I can tell you, the difference between those two screens is substantial. The PowerBook screen is lower resolution and it's not an LED screen like the MBP (mine was the first generation to offer the LED screen). I was always really impressed with it, it's much brighter than the PowerBook with better contrast.

If I had to compare my 13" MBA screen to the 15" PowerBook, the MBA wins hands-down. OTOH, a 13" screen and a 15" screen are just different animals. I think a bigger concern might be whether you would be happy with the smaller screen for extended use.

KPOM
Jun 21, 2012, 03:44 PM
Everything but the screen will be a solid upgrade. The MacBook Airs use lower-quality screens than the MacBook Pros. I'm fine with the Air's screen, but the Pro screens have better color gamut. Have you considered a base Retina MacBook Pro? It's $100 more than the Air you are considering, though it has a smaller SSD (unfortunately with no 512GB option - only on the $2799 model). However, external USB 3.0 hard drives are pretty cheap.

jmgregory1
Jun 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Get the Air - I debated because I too had the same MBP as you. I got the 13" Air last August and can't stand going back to the Pro - except for screen size, I'm completely satisfied with the Air. Speed, lightness, speed, portability, speed. My wife got a new work 13" Pro a couple of months ago - what a DOG. It's so slow that even helping her do things with it, I'm constantly complaining that it's not working as the disc access times are just painfully slow compared to the SSD. Did I mention even the '11 Airs are fast? And light?