PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air 2012 freezing up

quisguous
Jun 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
I've got a brand new Macbook Air 2012 with 8GB ram, 512 GB SSD, Core i7. I transfered all my files, apps, etc from my old Macbook Air. And last night it froze twice in an hour. I wasn't doing anything fancy, CPU load was very low. The freeze was full: no beachball, no crash screen, nothing, just everything stopped working and what was on the screen stayed there, frozen in time.

It was a bit warm in my home, 85 F or so, but I wouldn't expect that to freeze my brand spanking new machine. But, it hasn't happened since I've been using it in a cooler environment (70 F) as yet.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

spasur
Jun 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
This happened to me last night while watching a video on the web. The MBA was on my lap, but I avoided making contact with the center of the machine because it was so hot. It was above 80 degrees ambient temp.

mixman
Jun 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
I just had the laptop crash on me.

Was switching from Chrome to Firefox (flash) to watch the football game. Darkness and sound in a loop in background.

codeus
Jun 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
Dumb question, but did you guys run software update and install the fix Apple released specifically for graphics issues with the new MBA?

MacBook Air (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1551)

mixman
Jun 21, 2012, 02:37 PM
Dumb question, but did you guys run software update and install the fix Apple released specifically for graphics issues with the new MBA?

MacBook Air (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0 (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1551)

All available updates applied from the beginning.

vingem
Jun 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
were anyone of you who had their MBA crash, watching flash video on chrome? some folks seems to be experiencing similar problems with that and there's a separate thread going on http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390896 maybe it's similar issue.

majordude
Jun 21, 2012, 02:44 PM

1. Hmmm. Why would Apple ship something without the latest update?
2. How did you find out about this so quickly?!! :eek:

tigres
Jun 21, 2012, 02:48 PM
My maxed out 13" I picked up last eve is bad.

It has frozen twice, and a restart or Shutdown gives a white screen, followed by a spinning wheel from anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 seconds before it completes the action.

thought it was a bad install from a migration, so today I just wiped the drive and restored fresh.

No data on the machine and it takes time to shut down, very odd.
It's going back.
My core 2 due shuts down, and restarts in a flash.

vingem
Jun 21, 2012, 02:50 PM
1. Hmmm. Why would Apple ship something without the latest update?
2. How did you find out about this so quickly?!! :eek:

it was on engadget & few other tech sites and actually an apple rep stopped by and asked the rep who was helping me set up my MBA to do the update before i could leave and to spread the word.

majordude
Jun 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
It has frozen twice, and a restart or Shutdown gives a white screen, followed by a spinning wheel from anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 seconds before it completes the action.

Does it crash because of Chrome or something else?

calvol
Jun 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
Is this heat related? Does it only happen above a certain temp when watching videos and such.

tigres
Jun 21, 2012, 03:17 PM
Does it crash because of Chrome or something else?

No, I don't use chrome.
It froze on Mail & calendar

majordude
Jun 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
No, I don't use chrome. It froze on Mail & calendar

That's not good. Sorry to hear you are having problems. :(

KPOM
Jun 21, 2012, 03:38 PM
Was it a kernel panic, or did it just freeze up? If it does it again, have it checked out, as a bad logic board can lead to kernel panics.

halledise
Jun 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
I've got a brand new Macbook Air 2012 with 8GB ram, 512 GB SSD, Core i7. I transfered all my files, apps, etc from my old Macbook Air. And last night it froze twice in an hour. I wasn't doing anything fancy, CPU load was very low. The freeze was full: no beachball, no crash screen, nothing, just everything stopped working and what was on the screen stayed there, frozen in time.

It was a bit warm in my home, 85 F or so, but I wouldn't expect that to freeze my brand spanking new machine. But, it hasn't happened since I've been using it in a cooler environment (70 F) as yet.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

try resetting the SMC
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

then reset PRAM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

tigres
Jun 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
That's not good. Sorry to hear you are having problems. :(

No worries,
They swapped it out; said it was most likely bad ram on the board.
The white spinning wheel shutdown screen gave it away apparently.

Pretty costly DOA, but it's all good.
Now preying this replacement (that is now restoring from a backup) is worth all that I am reading.:cool:

majordude
Jun 21, 2012, 08:16 PM

Awesome!

(Remember the old days of the PC when manufacturers would take 3-5 days to "burn in" a computer before they shipped it?)

slumpey326
Jun 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
my new macbook air 13in froze just now while trying to watch the basketball game via espn3. Also using chrome by the way.

rookpsu
Jun 22, 2012, 01:20 AM
No worries,
The white spinning wheel shutdown screen gave it away apparently.

Pretty costly DOA, but it's all good.
Now preying this replacement (that is now restoring from a backup) is worth all that I am reading.:cool:

Any issues since the swap? I'm experiencing the same behavior on mine. Occasionally EVERYTHING will freeze, but more times than not, I'll still be able to move the eternally spinning ball until I'm inevitably forced to force a hard reset.

I thought it might be Chrome but the problems persisted even after I uninstalled it.

RocketRed
Jun 22, 2012, 07:10 PM
My Macbook Air (2012 Ultimate 13'') just froze on me. I had to hold the power button to restart it.

This is the first time I've ever had a Macbook freeze up on me. I thought only Windows computers did this.

tigres
Jun 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
Any issues since the swap? I'm experiencing the same behavior on mine. Occasionally EVERYTHING will freeze, but more times than not, I'll still be able to move the eternally spinning ball until I'm inevitably forced to force a hard reset.

I thought it might be Chrome but the problems persisted even after I uninstalled it.

Did the swap last eve.
Restored from backup, all is well.
All day, no page outs and is leaps quicker than my old one.
Running VMware all day, along with OSX; it's a dream.

i7 2.0, 8gb 512.
Good for another 2-3 years I imagine.

Furi Kuri
Jun 22, 2012, 09:14 PM
I just picked up a new base 13in macbook air on Tuesday and I've had the same thing happen to me twice. I don't know what caused it, I was doing different things each time and I updated it the day I got it. I really hope this doesn't continue..

Edit: happened again today, with google chrome (no videos open) and mail running.

darthpotato94
Jun 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
i've had the exact same problems but since the latest update I haven't encountered any problems. I considered getting a new replacement but I don't think that's gonna help. Besides every time I call Apple, they tell me to reinstall Lion. **** that ****. I think there was a problem with flash and the new HD4000 onboard graphics. It's all good for me for now.

----------

My maxed out 13" I picked up last eve is bad.

thought it was a bad install from a migration, so today I just wiped the drive and restored fresh.

No data on the machine and it takes time to shut down, very odd.
It's going back.
My core 2 due shuts down, and restarts in a flash.

Are you talking about the 2012 model?

tigres
Jun 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
i've had the exact same problems but since the latest update I haven't encountered any problems. I considered getting a new replacement but I don't think that's gonna help. Besides every time I call Apple, they tell me to reinstall Lion. **** that ****. I think there was a problem with flash and the new HD4000 onboard graphics. It's all good for me for now.

----------

Are you talking about the 2012 model?

Yes, I was referring to the 2012 model that I replace my 2010 with.
The replacement is so far so good. A very nice improvement.

urkel
Jun 22, 2012, 11:54 PM
Ive had freezes 4 times (Random apps. Aperture, Browser, File Transfer) and the black box crash screen twice (I wasnt even using it). I did do a migration from a 2011 Air so thats the easy blame but I dont feel like doing a fresh install so I'll just live with it and see if an update or ML fixes things.

claykin
Jun 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
Which ssd is installed in new MBA? If its running faster I'm thinking you have samsung.

Can others report if they have samsung or toshiba? And whether you experience lockups.

Did the swap last eve.
Restored from backup, all is well.
All day, no page outs and is leaps quicker than my old one.
Running VMware all day, along with OSX; it's a dream.

i7 2.0, 8gb 512.
Good for another 2-3 years I imagine.

tigres
Jun 23, 2012, 05:56 AM
Which ssd is installed in new MBA? If its running faster I'm thinking you have samsung.

Can others report if they have samsung or toshiba? And whether you experience lockups.

Samsung SSD and Samsung screen.

mixman
Jun 23, 2012, 06:33 AM
Samsung SSD and Samsung screen.

LG + Toshiba. Just to quell the notion of SSD brand making any difference.

cong
Jun 23, 2012, 10:09 PM
LG + Toshiba. Just to quell the notion of SSD brand making any difference.
LG screen and Toshiba SSD

mitty
Jun 24, 2012, 02:52 AM
Mine froze this afternoon, I was in Chrome at the time. 13" 8GB i5 256GB SSD (Samsung) Samsung Screen.

With this problem and the brightness issue, I wonder if we might see another update sometime soon.

slumpey326
Jun 24, 2012, 05:54 AM
What's the brightness issue

nylon
Jun 24, 2012, 07:42 AM
My 2012 MBA has now kernel panicked 3 times. Each time Chrome was open and may or may not have been running flash video.

The logs seem to say the the video driver is crashing.

Ratatapa
Jun 24, 2012, 08:01 AM
go back to the apple store?

nylon
Jun 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
go back to the apple store?

No, I think this is software related issue. I'll wait for an update.

mitty
Jun 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
What's the brightness issue

If my auto brightness is switched on, the screen brightness changes up and down like a yo yo. I've turned it off and am just controlling it manually.

Meanwhile mine crashed again tonight, again using Chrome. I'd imagine that hopefully this will be fixed sooner rather than later, there is a thread about it on the apple discussion forums (no idea if that will do any good or not).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4035924?start=0&tstart=0

slumpey326
Jun 25, 2012, 09:56 AM
saw this in one of the google chrome forums, anyone try this and see if the freezing stops....

"I called Apple Care and they had me delete the Chrome App and it's DMG file. They also had be go to the "Go" tab on the menu bar on the top of my computer (you can only see it when "Finder" is visible on the left side of the menu bar) and click on the "Library" tab (if it doesn't show up when you first look hold down the "alt/option" button and it should show up. Once you see "Library" open it up and go to the folder "Application Support." After doing that go to the folder labeled "Google." You should see a folder in there labeled "Chrome" if you go ahead and delete that then empty your trash so all Chrome files are completely deleted from your computer your problem should be solved after re-downloading. It worked for me let me know if it works for you."

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chrome/mac/L4A3JS8asss

darthpotato94
Jun 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
If my auto brightness is switched on, the screen brightness changes up and down like a yo yo. I've turned it off and am just controlling it manually.

Meanwhile mine crashed again tonight, again using Chrome. I'd imagine that hopefully this will be fixed sooner rather than later, there is a thread about it on the apple discussion forums (no idea if that will do any good or not).

I can confirm the brightness issue. It happens to me as well. I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

So, the general consensus is that all these issues are not hardware related and that we should wait for an update?

Does resetting cause any hardware problems?

Bigmacduck
Jun 25, 2012, 05:20 PM
If it freezes up, then it is not running hot enough!
Put Diablo as a background task and it will stay hot.

pjosborne
Jun 26, 2012, 12:45 AM

I've seen both issues. WRT the crashing if I click "send to apple" and look at the details Chrome is always present in the trace.

WRT to the brightness, my first unit (Core i7 / 8GB / 512GB) exhibited the same yoyo-like behaviour. The brightness would track up and down even in apparently constant lighting conditions and if the light dimmed brightness would shoot way down. I took it back to the Apple Store and compared it to the Airs on display. They were all significantly less sensitive and the genius swapped mine then and there. No issues with the replacement, brightness varies sensibly and slowly. :)

tigres
Jun 26, 2012, 06:16 AM
I've seen both issues. WRT the crashing if I click "send to apple" and look at the details Chrome is always present in the trace.

WRT to the brightness, my first unit (Core i7 / 8GB / 512GB) exhibited the same yoyo-like behaviour. The brightness would track up and down even in apparently constant lighting conditions and if the light dimmed brightness would shoot way down. I took it back to the Apple Store and compared it to the Airs on display. They were all significantly less sensitive and the genius swapped mine then and there. No issues with the replacement, brightness varies sensibly and slowly. :)

I have this dimming issue with my i7 13 unit. I hate to take it back, as it already a swapped unit. Does anyone know if this could be software related; or is it definately hardware?

Urgh. It goes from 3/4 bright and before I know it, it's at 1/4 and I am fighting to read the screen before I realize it has dimmed itself again. Happens every time I am using it without my external monitor.

theSeb
Jun 26, 2012, 06:53 AM
I have this dimming issue with my i7 13 unit. I hate to take it back, as it already a swapped unit. Does anyone know if this could be software related; or is it definately hardware?

Urgh. It goes from 3/4 bright and before I know it, it's at 1/4 and I am fighting to read the screen before I realize it has dimmed itself again. Happens every time I am using it without my external monitor.

Tough one. It could be either software or hardware or even both.

As for the crashing/freezing: could all of the people that are experiencing this please include your specifications?

CPU:
RAM:
SSD Size:
SSD Model

Maybe we can track it down to a particular configuration

KPOM
Jun 26, 2012, 07:36 AM

No issues so far (11.6" i7/8GB/256GB model here - Samsung SSD), and I've put it through some pretty serious heat-generating tasks (e.g. installation of virtual machine, transferring of massive amounts of content from a Thunderbolt drive to a USB 3.0 drive - the fans were spinning like crazy during the entire operation).

Did you figure out what was happening?

slumpey326
Jun 26, 2012, 08:07 AM
Tough one. It could be either software or hardware or even both.

As for the crashing/freezing: could all of the people that are experiencing this please include your specifications?

CPU:
RAM:
SSD Size:
SSD Model

Maybe we can track it down to a particular configuration

I think we have come to a mass consensus that majority of the crashing is the result of Chrome. There might be one off situations but the problem keeper is good old Chrome browser.

theSeb
Jun 26, 2012, 08:12 AM
I think we have come to a mass consensus that majority of the crashing is the result of Chrome. There might be one off situations but the problem keeper is good old Chrome browser.

That might be anecdotal since it's such a wide used piece of software. I see some people are saying it happens whether they are using Chrome or not.

slumpey326
Jun 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
That might be anecdotal since it's such a wide used piece of software. I see some people are saying it happens whether they are using Chrome or not.

that was what I was talking about as the one offs, but if you look on this forum, apple support community forum and google chrome forum there is alot of talk about chrome being a big factor in the 2012 macbook air freezes.

I was just throwing in my 2 cents, I am also upset that my new 2012 macbook air keeps on freezing, and the only justification is when I am using chrome. When I dont use it, my macbook air sales smoothly. I am hoping and I assume others as well, that there is some sort of update for this problem ASAP.

dbrewster
Sep 10, 2012, 11:13 PM
How are your units? Any positive updates? Unfortunately, I have the same problem as well. In a span of 1 week I had 3 freezes. Not the beach ball type, but complete freezes wherein the only thing I could do was to press the power button.

I did some basic hardware checks, all seem to be good.

I reinstalled Mountain Lion recently, and the problem significantly improved. With the same workflow, I've had 3 freezes in a span of ~1 month.

I am quite certain the problem is with Mountain Lion. At present, I turned off "put hard disk to sleep" and BT, which hastens wake up from sleep.

Ibamac
Sep 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
Mine froze last night, too. I just got a refurbished 11.6" i7/8GB/256GB model (Samsung SSD) and have no documents, no music, no videos. ML, Pages, iBooksAuthor, iStatPro; nothing else installed. In a cool house with only Safari (4 tabs - was researching how to make the email messages I'm writing larger), and Mail open, the MBA heated up and the fans spun at 6500. In activity monitor, I saw that Safari content was the culprit and I ended the process (or whatever you call it in the OS) and everything went back to normal. I wasn't able to exit mail, however, even after clicking quit. It was still up but quit was grayed out. At first I wasn't able to shut it down either. I'm still in the two week grace period and am wondering if I should return it for a new one or if this was a software issue, as others have surmised. fwiw.

KPOM
Sep 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
I did some basic hardware checks, all seem to be good.

I reinstalled Mountain Lion recently, and the problem significantly improved. With the same workflow, I've had 3 freezes in a span of ~1 month.

I am quite certain the problem is with Mountain Lion. At present, I turned off "put hard disk to sleep" and BT, which hastens wake up from sleep.

Mine froze last night, too. I just got a refurbished 11.6" i7/8GB/256GB model (Samsung SSD) and have no documents, no music, no videos. ML, Pages, iBooksAuthor, iStatPro; nothing else installed. In a cool house with only Safari (4 tabs - was researching how to make the email messages I'm writing larger), and Mail open, the MBA heated up and the fans spun at 6500. In activity monitor, I saw that Safari content was the culprit and I ended the process (or whatever you call it in the OS) and everything went back to normal. I wasn't able to exit mail, however, even after clicking quit. It was still up but quit was grayed out. At first I wasn't able to shut it down either. I'm still in the two week grace period and am wondering if I should return it for a new one or if this was a software issue, as others have surmised. fwiw.

Did you migrate from an older Mac (using Migration Assistant)? If so, perhaps something carried over. One solution may be to try a clean installation. I don't think the issues you are experiencing are very common. I agree with dbrewster that it is probably something with the Mountain Lion installation. Be sure you have updated to 10.8.1. If the problems persist and you have an external hard drive, I'd consider cloning your SSD to it, performing a clean installation using the restore partition (reboot and hold down CMD-R, go into Disk Utility and format the drive, and reinstall OS X). Then see if it works, and try migrating from your backup.

Ibamac
Sep 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks, KPOM. New (to me) MBA (refurbished). First Mac so nothing migrated and nothing on it (other than what I mentioned above). Downloaded 10.8 and 10.8.1 when I got it. Dell once gave me a refurbished computer under warranty that ended up having registry problems due to the past owner(s). Hoping this isn't a similar case. But I do have access to the educational discount and the identical computer new is only $45 more. I'll see how it is today (haven't turned that one on yet). Still have a week to return it if I want.

Thanks.

m.demian
Sep 11, 2012, 12:27 PM
I've actually had one freeze since I got the machine five days ago. Not sure if it was coincidence, but it was when I was connecting the thunderbolt to gig-ethernet adapter. It's been fine since. I really hope the 10.8.2 update fixes things, including the battery consumption issues.

KPOM
Sep 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks, KPOM. New (to me) MBA (refurbished). First Mac so nothing migrated and nothing on it (other than what I mentioned above). Downloaded 10.8 and 10.8.1 when I got it. Dell once gave me a refurbished computer under warranty that ended up having registry problems due to the past owner(s). Hoping this isn't a similar case. But I do have access to the educational discount and the identical computer new is only $45 more. I'll see how it is today (haven't turned that one on yet). Still have a week to return it if I want.

Thanks.

I thought Apple did a fresh install on the refurbished models. Generally Macs are a lot easier to upgrade than Windows PCs (no registry to deal with), though there are always some reports of weird freezing issues. If you are near an Apple store, my advice is to set up a Genius Bar appointment before the iPhone rush later this week and have them take a quick look at it.

Sometimes resetting the System Management Controller will deal with the odd fan issue such as what you described. To do that, power it down, and then press the Shift, Command, Option, and Power keys at the same time. Release the keys (you may see the LED on the power cord blink), and then power back up.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

xxcysxx
Sep 15, 2012, 08:01 AM
Have you guys consider perhaps it's mountain lion is at fault? My friend has early 2011 mbp 13 and so does I. He upgraded to mountain lion and gets all weird freeze up and beach balls and blue balls and stuff. But I'm still on lion and barely ever have an incident of any beach ball at all. Not even a freeze up.
Though I did get freeze up occarionally when I first got it. But not long after that I upgraded to 16gb corsair ram, I never have a frees up since.

mayuka
Sep 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
I had one freeze just yesterday. I looked it up in the system files and it was the driver for the thunderbolt->ethernet adapter that caused the crash. Seems like buggy drivers...

cirial
Sep 21, 2012, 04:27 PM
Mine just froze after waking it from sleep. 10.8.2... All I did was put my password in, open iTunes, and it froze. Anyway to see why it froze? I'm not well versed with OSX.

mayuka
Sep 22, 2012, 01:54 AM
Mine just froze after waking it from sleep. 10.8.2... All I did was put my password in, open iTunes, and it froze. Anyway to see why it froze? I'm not well versed with OSX.

In Terminal do "sudo less /var/log/system.log" and press Shift-G to see the last messages.

I think there's a crash-log either in /System/Library/Logs or /Library/Logs as well.

This should help to pin the problem down.

cirial
Sep 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
I just had another freeze after opening my MBA, logging back in and just browsing in Safari. I dont have Chrome installed.

Mayuka, thanks for the advice, but there are no crash logs, and using the terminal command did not show me anything significant.. :(

theSeb
Sep 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
I just had another freeze after opening my MBA, logging back in and just browsing in Safari. I dont have Chrome installed.

Mayuka, thanks for the advice, but there are no crash logs, and using the terminal command did not show me anything significant.. :(

Go into Applications, Utilities and then open Console.app

You can now view all of your system logs. Check out System Diagnostic Reports and User Diagnostic Reports folders first.

cefey
Sep 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
I dont think Chrome have anything to do with the problem.
Quite a few people have freezing issues and they dont have chrome installed.

My MBA started freezing a lot lately.
I got a new one just 2 weeks ago. i7, 8gb, 256gb flash.
No heave loads on it, nothing. And there is no pattern when it freezes.
Sometimes I can be typing something on a forum.
Other time, just readin newspaper.

However, MOST of the times it froze when I tried to do anything with finder.
Copying file from 1 folder to another.

Now, I did read suggestions on open terminal etc.
However, when I try to open finder - it freezes. Happend now 3-4 times in a raw... So it seems like problem is with finder/OSx.
But then again, as I said, it froze down few times when I didnt do nothing in finder.. or anything on MBA at all... just reading something.

cirial
Sep 27, 2012, 05:34 AM
Mine keeps freezing shortly after waking it up. The mouse disappears, and you cant do anything. I reinstalled OSX fresh using the internet recovery feature. I do not have any 3rd party programs installed.

Not sure what's going on here. I dont want to bring this to a chaotic Apple store :( It's not like they can just swap it out since I have 8GB ram.. this was a custom order Air 13.. sigh. Sucks since this is my first Mac.

It seems like its completely random too. Looking through the Console makes my eyes hurt, I don't know what I'm looking for in terms of something being wrong/incorrect.

Seamaster
Sep 27, 2012, 06:24 AM
Chrome's a red herring. I don't have it installed and this affects me.

If anything, it seems to be a Safari issue. That's the app I'm usually using when I'm affected.

cirial
Sep 27, 2012, 06:50 AM
I reset PRAM for second time. Also did SMC reset for the first time.. we'll see how this goes.

theSeb
Sep 27, 2012, 07:00 AM
Has any one managed to gather some log files when the crash occurred? I would say this has to be driver / firmware related to the 2012 MBA. I am running ML 10.8.2 on a 2011 MBA and it's working ok. It also works mostly fine on my rMBP, but I did have my first kernel panic last Friday. (I've had the rMBP about two weeks after it came out). I don't use Safari at all and it's using the Nvidia GPU. Unfortunately I am not an expert in reading these, but my untrained brains interpret this as a graphics card driver issue.

Fri Sep 21 14:10:31 2012
panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff8009eb7bd5): Kernel trap at 0xffffff7f8a5fbd21, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x000000008001003b, CR2: 0xffffff802d40b424, CR3: 0x000000000cbf7000, CR4: 0x00000000001606e0
RAX: 0x0000000000000001, RBX: 0x00000000000000ef, RCX: 0x00000000000000ef, RDX: 0x0000000000000000
RSP: 0xffffff80223bb520, RBP: 0xffffff80223bb560, RSI: 0xffffff802d405004, RDI: 0xffffff802d405004
R8: 0x00000000000000ef, R9: 0x00000000000000ef, R10: 0x00000000007fffff, R11: 0xffffff7f8a8a2438
R12: 0xffffff802d409ab4, R13: 0xffffff802dcf7404, R14: 0xffffff802d405004, R15: 0xffffff802dce4004
RFL: 0x0000000000010286, RIP: 0xffffff7f8a5fbd21, CS: 0x0000000000000008, SS: 0x0000000000000010
Fault CR2: 0xffffff802d40b424, Error code: 0x0000000000000000, Fault CPU: 0x4

Backtrace (CPU 4), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff80223bb1c0 : 0xffffff8009e1d626
0xffffff80223bb230 : 0xffffff8009eb7bd5
0xffffff80223bb400 : 0xffffff8009ece4ed
0xffffff80223bb420 : 0xffffff7f8a5fbd21
0xffffff80223bb560 : 0xffffff7f8a87228d
0xffffff80223bb5b0 : 0xffffff7f8a897348
0xffffff80223bb5f0 : 0xffffff7f8a63f0a7
0xffffff80223bb640 : 0xffffff7f8a9502bb
0xffffff80223bb6b0 : 0xffffff7f8a9503bd
0xffffff80223bb6d0 : 0xffffff7f8a54b57b
0xffffff80223bb760 : 0xffffff7f8a54f20a
0xffffff80223bb950 : 0xffffff7f8a5500d6
0xffffff80223bba30 : 0xffffff7f8a7459ff
0xffffff80223bbae0 : 0xffffff7f8a73a61c
0xffffff80223bbc60 : 0xffffff7f8a4e63c7
0xffffff80223bbcd0 : 0xffffff7f8a4d057b
0xffffff80223bbd40 : 0xffffff7f8a4d31b8
0xffffff80223bbdb0 : 0xffffff7f8a4d2db4
0xffffff80223bbe10 : 0xffffff7f8a499c04
0xffffff80223bbe50 : 0xffffff7f8a498eef
0xffffff80223bbe80 : 0xffffff7f8a4982cb
0xffffff80223bbef0 : 0xffffff800a2472a8
0xffffff80223bbf30 : 0xffffff800a245daa
0xffffff80223bbf80 : 0xffffff800a245ed9
0xffffff80223bbfb0 : 0xffffff8009eb26b7
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.5)[803496D0-ADAD-3ADB-B071-8A0A197DA53D]@0xffffff7f8a48b000->0xffffff7f8a4c2fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.7.1)[9901C237-547C-3B52-99DE-C4870A19E2B5]@0xffffff7f8a450000
com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.3.5)[86DDB71C-A73A-3EBE-AC44-0BC9A38B9A44]@0xffffff7f8a4ce000->0xffffff7f8a4dffff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.5)[803496D0-ADAD-3ADB-B071-8A0A197DA53D]@0xffffff7f8a48b000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.7.1)[9901C237-547C-3B52-99DE-C4870A19E2B5]@0xffffff7f8a450000
com.apple.NVDAResman(8.0)[A4C53A36-22B6-3075-82B9-9DE612A9C015]@0xffffff7f8a4e2000->0xffffff7f8a7e4fff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(2.3.5)[86DDB71C-A73A-3EBE-AC44-0BC9A38B9A44]@0xffffff7f8a4ce000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(2.3.5)[803496D0-ADAD-3ADB-B071-8A0A197DA53D]@0xffffff7f8a48b000
com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal(8.0)[471B8D86-06A7-362A-A2C8-E894625AA9B3]@0xffffff7f8a7f2000->0xffffff7f8aaf5fff
dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(8.0.0)[A4C53A36-22B6-3075-82B9-9DE612A9C015]@0xffffff7f8a4e2000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
12C54

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 12.2.0: Sat Aug 25 00:48:52 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.18.24~1/RELEASE_X86_64
Kernel UUID: 69A5853F-375A-3EF4-9247-478FD0247333
Kernel slide: 0x0000000009c00000
Kernel text base: 0xffffff8009e00000
System model name: MacBookPro10,1 (Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 6708999186511
last loaded kext at 6200226533: com.apple.driver.AppleHWSensor 1.9.5d0 (addr 0xffffff7f8c1d3000, size 36864)
last unloaded kext at 126588990473: com.apple.iokit.IOEthernetAVBController 1.0.2b1 (addr 0xffffff7f8afcd000, size 28672)

cirial
Sep 27, 2012, 07:11 AM
Thought I would add too that the freezing is only after the Air sleeps overnight or longer periods of time.. if I come back to it after 20-30 minutes, I have nooo problems.

mayuka
Sep 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
com.apple.nvidia.nvGK100hal(8.0)

Since when do MBA's have built-in nvidea graphic cards? :confused:

Can't you submit this to Apple. Try to log into your admin account. After a reboot a dialog should appear in which you can send the report to Apple.

cefey
Sep 27, 2012, 12:14 PM
Mine MBA works fine now, except for when I click on "finder" icon.
If I right-click and select "new smart folder", i can browse finder and click on finder icon. If i close all finder windows and click on finder icon - it freezes.

After reseting RAM, it worked. I could click on finder icon. But only first 10-15min. After that, it would freeze again.
Makes no sense...

cirial
Sep 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
After a call to AppleCare, they suggested I bring it in to the store.. I already did a full system recovery, and the issue didn't go away with nothing installed.

cirial
Sep 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
Update: brought it to Apple store, who all they did was a full restore. Still had freezing after sleep randomness. I have my own user account, and one for my wife on this computer and we use this Air frequently throughout the night, each on our own account. We do not log out of our accounts, just fast switch over. It was suggested it could be this being the issue by a tier 2 rep. so now I am running just under 1 account. This is a silly solution, but I'll report back if it helps.

cefey
Oct 3, 2012, 05:46 PM
Update: brought it to Apple store, who all they did was a full restore. Still had freezing after sleep randomness. I have my own user account, and one for my wife on this computer and we use this Air frequently throughout the night, each on our own account. We do not log out of our accounts, just fast switch over. It was suggested it could be this being the issue by a tier 2 rep. so now I am running just under 1 account. This is a silly solution, but I'll report back if it helps.

I have only 1 account on mine...
It seems more like a hardware problem to me, cause no one have reported back anything that really worked in a long term.
I will call apple tomorrow and ask them to send me a new MBA, I dont wont to start with recoveries and reparation (that lead nowhere) just after 2 weeks with it.

cirial
Oct 3, 2012, 08:27 PM
One account hasnt helped me either. I can't get my case manager to agree to swap this out for a new one. Off to the Apple store tomorrow for another appointment to raise hell.. :mad:

cefey
Oct 7, 2012, 06:47 PM
Mine have stopped crashing so far... Lets see how long it will last. If it crashes again, Ill call to apple support and ask for a new one, since there is no know solution for the problem and it seems to be in hardware

mayuka
Oct 12, 2012, 01:15 AM
it seems to be in hardware

How did you come to that conclusion? I'd say it's a buggy driver.

cefey
Oct 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
How did you come to that conclusion? I'd say it's a buggy driver.

Hardware would explain why some people have it, other dont (production in different countries).
If it was buggy driver, everyone would experience same issue. And problem would be solved by reinstalling everything and use of only apple-soft.
People have done that, many times, nothing helps. Got new laptop - works fine.