Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I'm headed for college this fall, and I'm going to be in a residence hall with most likely 3 other people in the same room/living area. I don't want to risk having one of them decided "to borrow" my PowerBook while I'm in the bathroom or running a quick errand at the building next door (even though I always lock my stuff in my room before I go anywhere); so I'm looking for a laptop lock for my PowerBook.

Not just any lock though; I want the best (most secure) one I can get for it (for not too high a price i.e. $100-200 is crossing into the "high" range). And the lock should be anti-lockpicking (or at least not easily picked), because I read the articles on how a thief could use household items like thin cardboard or thin paper and a ballpoint pen to pick a laptop lock in not more than 5 minutes.

I appreciate the help.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Hmm.. I know that the usual laptop locks are ballpoint-pennable..

I read somewhere that if you REALLY want it secure, get hard sided suitcase, put your lappy inside, and chain it to something that isn't going to move, like a bedpost or something.

While you may look insane for doing that, you know your PB will be there in the morning. :)

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
gamestriker said:
I'm headed for college this fall, and I'm going to be in a residence hall with most likely 3 other people in the same room/living area. I don't want to risk having one of them decided "to borrow" my PowerBook while I'm in the bathroom or running a quick errand at the building next door (even though I always lock my stuff in my room before I go anywhere); so I'm looking for a laptop lock for my PowerBook.

Not just any lock though; I want the best (most secure) one I can get for it (for not too high a price i.e. $100-200 is crossing into the "high" range). And the lock should be anti-lockpicking (or at least not easily picked), because I read the articles on how a thief could use household items like thin cardboard or thin paper and a ballpoint pen to pick a laptop lock in not more than 5 minutes.

I appreciate the help.

You could just put the laptop somewhere out of site... ask your friends not to borrow it... or just dont be paranoid because chances are that your roomates want to use their computers not yours... Unless your living with the type of people who are going to steal your laptop and sell it then I just wont worry about it.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Check out some of the locks by Kensington. They are common in the dorms on my campus. While I'm sure some patient fiddling or a large wire cutters could do them in, usually the sight of a restraint is the best security for your laptop.

sek1186

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2005
Virginia
I'm just a little curious here because I just got one of Kensington's combination locks for college. Are they just as easy for thieves to pick as the ones that use the keys?

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
sek1186 said:
I'm just a little curious here because I just got one of Kensington's combination locks for college. Are they just as easy for thieves to pick as the ones that use the keys?

I read that with a thin piece of paper or plastic, its breakable, though it takes a little time and patience. I'll try to find the article again. I know it was off google.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
The point is to deter spur of the moment thieves,all locks are pickable and a professional thief isn't going to be put off by having to rip apart a bed, radiator or whatever.Just a Kensington or similar will deter opportunists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.