Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
I was wondering about reselling web hosting. Let's say I have designed a site for a client, and they want me to register their domain name and get them on a server. If my host offers reseller access (like ASO) then I would get the bill, it would be itemized for each domain, and I can charge my client whatever- correct?
Or do I need to make sure my host can offer me multiple domains (or is it subdomains; i don't know what the difference it) before i can do this.
The third part to this question is what exactly will and individualize IP address do for me and/or my client, and why do I need it?

Hoping someone here could help clarify this for me. Sorry if my questions aren't concise.

Thanks!

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Depends. You could set all of that up so the bill goes directly to the client. Or you could take advantage of a "reseller" option, pay the bill yourself and then charge back to the client what the client is willing to pay. For example, some hosting companies will allow you to host 5 domains on a single account for $100/year. It's reasonable to pay $100 for 1 domain, so .... I think you can do the math.

I don't know that you need a static IP address -- in the application you're describing, you should be more than fine in a fully hosted setting. Not saying they're aren't advantages, but none spring to mind for the project you're developing.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Punkwaffle said:
I was wondering about reselling web hosting. Let's say I have designed a site for a client, and they want me to register their domain name and get them on a server. If my host offers reseller access (like ASO) then I would get the bill, it would be itemized for each domain, and I can charge my client whatever- correct?
Or do I need to make sure my host can offer me multiple domains (or is it subdomains; i don't know what the difference it) before i can do this.
The third part to this question is what exactly will and individualize IP address do for me and/or my client, and why do I need it?

Hoping someone here could help clarify this for me. Sorry if my questions aren't concise.

Thanks!

You need multiple domains. Subdomains are like: them.yourhost.com. People won't like that.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Make sure you buy a reseller account from a reliable company and don't just go for the cheapest. The last thing you want is customers complaining about downtime. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.