Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I am disappointed. So much so that I am hungering for an iphone.

1) Its not necessarily the software. Because android and many will agree with this is much more advanced than iOS 5 and 6. Many pro's have acknowledged that. I somewhat agree with that. Its easier to use, its customizable, better integrated with google services, best navigation in town, flexible, you are not stuck in an ecosystem where you'd have to abide by the rules, more secure than ios imo, kinetic scrolling makes it more fluid than ios (surprise! I said it).

But most apps just suck and there is hardly any choice for apps. On iphone I got tons of games, I'll never get bored. And there is just tons of other apps. You'll never have to worry about a service not being supported on your iphone cause every mother and all is developing for iOS. And the stuff in Google Play is just junk. 90% of the apps has ads, tracks my phone calls, my address book, wants full internet access. Thats just malware. Why does angry birds want to know who I am calling, for how long and who are in my contacts. They are just going to sell this data to third parties.

2) The hardware. I switched to the HTC One S because I wanted to have a bigger screen and the HOS is made out of an aluminum unibody. But the build quality just is not there. Reception sucks. Battery on the iphone is much better than on the HTC One S. There are seams and holes everywhere where dust builds up. Cheap use of plastics even though it has an aluminum unibody. The screen of the iphone is much sharper. Although its smaller, I still get more real estate when web browsing compared to the HOS.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Meh. I have an android phone and an iPad and use both ios and android every day. I can find 99% of the apps on both platforms and they virtually look and work the same.

alphaola

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
It's funny how people complain about how crap android is. They spent almost £500 on an iPhone and £200 on android phone and yet expect the same quality. I have an iPad , galaxy nexus and iPhone 4s. These are solid devices. Just enjoy them for what they are.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I've also used both and completely disagree with Android being more secure and easier to use. The reason Android apps have ads is they make more money. Many developers have said they make more in the Android store by making the apps free with ads than paid without. Many studies have been done and Android users are much less apt to pay for apps than iOS users. When I made the switch to iOS the first thing I noticed was the apps were much more polished and higher quality in general. iOS is generally developed for first and usually has a quality end product. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Meh. I have an android phone and an iPad and use both ios and android every day. I can find 99% of the apps on both platforms and they virtually look and work the same.

Not sure about the "look" part. Lol.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I am disappointed. So much so that I am hungering for an iphone.

1) Its not necessarily the software. Because android and many will agree with this is much more advanced than iOS 5 and 6. Many pro's have acknowledged that. I somewhat agree with that. Its easier to use, its customizable, better integrated with google services, best navigation in town, flexible, you are not stuck in an ecosystem where you'd have to abide by the rules, more secure than ios imo, kinetic scrolling makes it more fluid than ios (surprise! I said it).

But most apps just suck and there is hardly any choice for apps. On iphone I got tons of games, I'll never get bored. And there is just tons of other apps. You'll never have to worry about a service not being supported on your iphone cause every mother and all is developing for iOS. And the stuff in Google Play is just junk. 90% of the apps has ads, tracks my phone calls, my address book, wants full internet access. Thats just malware. Why does angry birds want to know who I am calling, for how long and who are in my contacts. They are just going to sell this data to third parties.

2) The hardware. I switched to the HTC One S because I wanted to have a bigger screen and the HOS is made out of an aluminum unibody. But the build quality just is not there. Reception sucks. Battery on the iphone is much better than on the HTC One S. There are seams and holes everywhere where dust builds up. Cheap use of plastics even though it has an aluminum unibody. The screen of the iphone is much sharper. Although its smaller, I still get more real estate when web browsing compared to the HOS.

Many Android apps have two versions - add sponsored (free) and paid. iPhone mostly offers only the second option.

As for permissions. That's what Rovio said:
Phone State Permissions:
The phone state permission is used to identify devices in order to implement advertisement frequency capping and targeting. Basically the aim is to avoid a situation where our customer has to view the same advertisement too many times on the device in question.

More info here.
Nothing to worry. It would be stupid to suspect Rovio in some shady activities (after all, they are not Apple:D)

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
It's funny how people complain about how crap android is. They spent almost £500 on an iPhone and £200 on android phone and yet expect the same quality. I have an iPad , galaxy nexus and iPhone 4s. These are solid devices. Just enjoy them for what they are.

500? I paid $199 US for mine. The same cost as the best Android handset that was out at that time. Stop making stuff up.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
As a matter of fact there is better selection of apps on Android simply because Apple puts too many restrictions on what the developers can and can't do (like use of interpreters etc.)

That depends on your definition of better selection. Photography, games, and video apps, iOS has a better selection. Wigets, task managers, live wallpapers...etc, Android has a better selection.

Overall, the general concensus seems to be that iOS apps are more stable and generally of higher quality across all categories, likely due to fragmentation issues, and the limited profit potential vs the AppStore.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
OP: I felt the same way when I went from the 4S to an Epic 4G Touch (Sprint's GS2) and then back to my current 4S a month later. Not sure what I was thinking then...

...and the thing is I had two Android phones before the iPhone...

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
500? I paid $199 US for mine. The same cost as the best Android handset that was out at that time. Stop making stuff up.

Take a look at the Apple UK store and you'll find the iPhone is £499 and up. Stop making stuff up? :rolleyes:

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
i can't really see why anyone would switch from a 4S to an android phone.

i could see going from a 3GS to a new android device or even a 4, just to give the platform a try... but an iPhone 4S to any android phone at the moment... even the brand new one, is going to be about a lateral move.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I have played around with a few Android phones. I think for the most part the OS itself is pretty cool. But the app market is garbage. I don't even think that's up for discussion- the quality as well as quantity of apps available for Android are not even close to that of iOS. Apple blows a lot of smoke sometimes, but that litte video they did at WWDC about why developers prefer iOS was 100% true.

A couple years ago I figured Android was just playing catch up in terms of apps, but it's clear that developers are more interested in iOS, and that's fine with me because I prefer iOS myself. Android is also lacking a little bit in the whole ecosystem mentality that Apple is getting pretty good at, but it's not half as bad as their deplorable app market.

I think Samsung is making some killer stuff and has been for a couple years, but it's the lack of third party greatness on Android that keeps me where I am.

Just my opinion.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
That depends on your definition of better selection. Photography, games, and video apps, iOS has a better selection. Wigets, task managers, live wallpapers...etc, Android has a better selection

I can get hot girl and adult themed apps on my Android, that alone makes it a win in the apps dept for me. I don't need Apple deciding what I can and can't look at for me.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I can get hot girl and adult themed apps on my Android, that alone makes it a win in the apps dept for me. I don't need Apple deciding what I can and can't look at for me.

Lmao

Just look at "assistant" for android. What a babe!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I think we all agree that iOS apps are amazing on iOS and not so good on Android. Still, it has its own benefits over iOS.

Im really disappointed at iOS 6. So much could have been done and so little was... Just look at the 10 key new features.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Take a look at the Apple UK store and you'll find the iPhone is £499 and up. Stop making stuff up? :rolleyes:
If you're going to quote the super-expensive price of the unlocked iPhone that 99.99% of people will never consider buying, you could at least mention that. :D

Nice to see that Orange offers several plans with the iPhone 4s is free (which you never see in the US), and seven other plans where the iPhone 4s is significantly less than US$199, which is about the cheapest you'll ever see it on this side of the pond.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I guess it depends on what apps, I had no problem finding the same/similar apps for my GSII from my iPhones and what I use for personal/business etc, and in some cases the app's were better. I'm not a big gamer at all, rarely play, but some I have like Brothers in Arms and Gun Bros etc I actually liked better on this phone.. but I give the edge to iOS overall for games if that's your thing. Personally I don't need dozens upon dozens of photo apps on either phone, I love the cam on my 4S and GSII, and their great for a "phone" but no comparison to even my slim digi cam. Thing with the Android market is there are tons and tons in some cases for "X" that your looking for, I just skim through reviews and searched online for what I wanted. If your rooted, you can have ad's go "poof" from free apps as well ;) . As far as permissions I think a lot are/get confused by exactly what they are for and take it the wrong way, I know I was like that at first, till researching what the exact permissions would mean etc.

Said it before but my phone is as smooth and fast as iOS, no hiccups.. had way more hiccups/stutters/crashes even on the 4S. But hey that's electronics for ya, I don't hold it against Apple lol, ***** happens. Two 4Ss and the i777 stock edged them both out on battery life, with the custom ICS Rom now it's not even close, it's slightly better than my 4 in heavy use which was quite noticeably better then the 4S. Crazy how big the jump in battery life is with the stock bloatware etc removed.

IMO can't go wrong either way just depends on which you prefer, though I actually didn't care for the HTC One S, some weird quirks HTC did with that phone and the X. Aren't the bootloaders locked on both so can't have custom roms etc? Maybe I'm wrong there?

Last edited:

Genebaby

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
I've tried Android now with my work phone, GSII and I much prefer my 4S. I even un-jail broke my iPhone and still like it better. Screen responds better, the OS is smoother and renders things properly. Emails on the Galaxy don't fit on the screen and slide about badly when I try to see it all.

If there was no iPhone then Android would be incredible. The Galaxy has ICS and I can't see the fuss. The settings are very basic compared to IOS.

The best thing about Android is the Swype text input. That does work really well.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have one of the new HTC One X models, and an iPhone 4S.

They are nearly identical. Not enough differences in the display (other than size) to make a difference. HTC = 312 ppi. iP4S = 330, so as you can see it's very minimal. The biggest difference is the 3.5" vs 4.7" size. I'm on the web a lot, therefore the HTC's display is truly great.

There is no perfect phone, these two are as close as they come and both have great strengths. Because I have both activated on their own lines, it provides me with an opportunity that many don't experience.

Human nature is such that one generally only remembers the good things about a product once it's gone, so the only fair comparison is when you have them both.

Either way, I'm very satisfied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.