PDA

View Full Version : App Store Launches in 32 New Countries

MacRumors
Jun 21, 2012, 07:55 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/21/app-store-launches-in-32-new-countries/)

At Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Tim Cook announced that the App Store would be launching in 32 additional countries this month, bringing the total number of countries with App Store access to 155. As documented in the country-selection page within the iTunes Store, those 32 new markets are now available, although Apple has yet to update its support page (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3599) listing which iTunes Store content is available in which countries.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/cook_app_store_155_countries.jpg

The vast majority of new countries are located in Apple's African and Asian markets, with the exception of Albania and Ukraine in Europe. The full list of new App Store countries includes: Albania, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Chad, Republic of the Congo, Fiji, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritania, Federated States of Micronesia, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Palau, Papua New Guinea, São Tomé and Príncipe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Zimbabwe.

Article Link: App Store Launches in 32 New Countries (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/21/app-store-launches-in-32-new-countries/)

GoldMan
Jun 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
...and we still dont have one in Denmark

applefan289
Jun 21, 2012, 08:03 PM
Apple is Cyberdyne with style!

kockgunner
Jun 21, 2012, 08:04 PM
Denmark doesn't have one yet? Wow. I wonder why it took so long to bring the App Store to these countries and how well the iPhone sold with only stock apps available.

Hastings101
Jun 21, 2012, 08:07 PM

Clearly the Republic of the Congo is a much more profitable market

dra
Jun 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
might be legal and tax issues for Denmark , Congo tax free :-)

----------

Good to See PNG and Fiji there i know alot of companies that been waiting for that. time to make me some apps :-)

vartanarsen
Jun 21, 2012, 08:12 PM
Dont understand why peope care about app store availability. U.S. store s ALWAYS available wherever ou are...just scroll to the bottom of iTunes registration page and change flag to U.s.

dra
Jun 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
Dont understand why peope care about app store availability. U.S. store s ALWAYS available wherever ou are...just scroll to the bottom of iTunes registration page and change flag to U.s.

and how will external countries pay for their app purchases with a non-us card ?

Yvan256
Jun 21, 2012, 08:18 PM
Good to See PNG and Fiji there i know alot of companies that been waiting for that. time to make me some apps :-)

Won't somebody think of JPEG and GIF?

Oh wait, not that PNG. :p

iPhoneApple
Jun 21, 2012, 08:18 PM
Nice, but they need to add Apple online stores to more countries.

Viper2005
Jun 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
and how will external countries pay for their app purchases with a non-us card ?

eBay.
Look up US iTunes gift card
Win.

aajeev
Jun 21, 2012, 08:35 PM

It has something to do with payment.

vartanarsen
Jun 21, 2012, 08:37 PM

Ah yes..one tiny lttle insignficant little issue lol

Or maybe use US itunes card sold for profit at freign stores...

AIP5
Jun 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Why haven't they updated the map of Africa to include the South Sudan split from Sudan? Is this the case in Apple Maps too? :confused:

Gsoz
Jun 21, 2012, 09:19 PM

I think you are mistaking the App Store with an AppLE Store ;)

Dionte
Jun 21, 2012, 09:31 PM
Is Africa the most divided continent on the planet?

MOKHAN
Jun 21, 2012, 09:40 PM
Is Africa the most divided continent on the planet?

Yes

netsurfz
Jun 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Cambodia and Laos?? Where is Thailand! Please come to Thailand!!!

"Authorized" dealers and distributors here have unbearable service!! :mad:

brdeveloper
Jun 21, 2012, 10:24 PM
I hope they'll pay local taxes instead of just launching stores in native languages that sell in US dolar and in practice are american stores translated to other languages. It's like a brazilian person, living in Brazil, buying stuff from an Amazon site translated to portuguese. This is nothing different to contraband.

akbarali.ch
Jun 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Any music store shower...over India...

Plas00
Jun 21, 2012, 11:03 PM
Jerrycards = US App Store Worldwide, if you know what I mean ;)

Chumburro2U
Jun 21, 2012, 11:05 PM
What about Antartica!?!?! :roll eyes: :p

marioguarneros
Jun 21, 2012, 11:12 PM
I can see that a lot of people have misunderstood the article, they are talking about the APP store (apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod) not APPLE store (hardware and software such as Macs and MBP's) Also in some countries we have only online versions of the Apple store but no physical retail shops.

LoveAppl
Jun 21, 2012, 11:21 PM
Finally Ukraine is there...:)

pastelsoda
Jun 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
why do i see North Korea highlighted??

LoveAppl
Jun 21, 2012, 11:29 PM
What about Antartica!?!?! :roll eyes: :p
U are not from Antarctica, are u?!:)
Because it is obvious that u never was at Antarctica u're self because,
aliens have a way better technologies than humans have and they already have iPad 11 over there with iMatte and iWall as well

Also an electrical car (iCar) and Mac Pro 50 core too are there

imwest
Jun 21, 2012, 11:34 PM

I thought the same thing. The same could be said for Syria, Iraq, IRAN....??? The map they are showing has nothing to do with the list of countries they just put out.

selva
Jun 22, 2012, 12:09 AM
Apple is like the Borg spreading from galaxy to galaxy.

mrsir2009
Jun 22, 2012, 12:19 AM
Is the market in Africa really that significant?

flyondawall
Jun 22, 2012, 12:33 AM
App store, Mac store ? We can't even get any music (or movies/TV shows) in the iTunes store in Hong Kong yet....

...& BTW, I've asked at the HK Apple Store, & been told that it's not possible for HK residents (or any non-US residents) to register for the US iTunes store without a valid US credit card.

B777Forevar
Jun 22, 2012, 12:35 AM

Because the Dear Leader needs is instagram and Angry Birds

netsurfz
Jun 22, 2012, 12:38 AM
I can see that a lot of people have misunderstood the article, they are talking about the APP store (apps for iPhone, iPad, iPod) not APPLE store (hardware and software such as Macs and MBP's) Also in some countries we have only online versions of the Apple store but no physical retail shops.

Oopps thanks!

tonyunreal
Jun 22, 2012, 12:47 AM
The highlighted were the countries where the App Store is not available.

petsounds
Jun 22, 2012, 12:52 AM
[/COLOR]Good to See PNG and Fiji there i know alot of companies that been waiting for that. time to make me some apps :-)

I'd just like to point out that Fiji's population is less than a million, and only 47% of the population has access to fresh drinking water. So I have to imagine the market for iPhone apps is pretty small there.

NOV
Jun 22, 2012, 01:00 AM
Apple taking on the islam world ;).

BvizioN
Jun 22, 2012, 01:18 AM

I was one of them, thanks for pointing it out.

However, am still not getting this!! I though App store was a masive international store that is within your iOS device wherever you go!! Does this mean that people on these new countries will be abble to open an accont for app store or what exactly is it?

bergert
Jun 22, 2012, 01:51 AM
eBay.
Look up US iTunes gift card
Win.

These are mostly frauds, credit cards stolen or charges declined. I found out the hard way .... eBay support just sucks. They did not remove the sellers other items, not even ban him/her.

Apple was really nice though, they just let me keep my purchases.

evangw
Jun 22, 2012, 02:05 AM
The highlighted were the countries where the App Store is not available.

It can't be that either; Republic of Congo is highlighted on the map, but it was supposedly just added, unless someone has confused Dem Rep. Congo with Rep. Congo.

Also since Tim Cook is in the photo, this image can't be directly related to the article. The original photo is probably showing "countries with carriers that provide iPhones" or something.

DarkLighter1985
Jun 22, 2012, 02:09 AM
Ah yes..one tiny lttle insignficant little issue lol

Or maybe use US itunes card sold for profit at freign stores...

You can't use US iTunes cards sold for profit in foreign stores, because each country sells iTunes gift cards in its own currency. The iTunes/App/iBooks stores are different in every country.

miniroll32
Jun 22, 2012, 02:53 AM
Meanwhile, Microsoft are still just about getting the hang of retail stores...

adildacoolset
Jun 22, 2012, 03:26 AM
For the love of god please add Zambia!!!!! Everything on around zambia is added, but not Zambia!!!! I better email tim cook.

----------

Please, I live in Zambia where there isnt any apple store. There is a gigantic craze for blackberries here. Everyone does it. You know why, because RIM actually set it up. There is even a store I know that sells an iPhone 4 for nearly $2,500. Needless to say its collecting dust. If they sell an iPhone 4 for the price of a blackberry torch, it can be popular. If they do it throughout africa, it can gain a considerable amount of sales. I usually have to wait until I go out of the country before I buy an Apple product.

bushido
App store, Mac store ? We can't even get any music (or movies/TV shows) in the iTunes store in Hong Kong yet....

...& BTW, I've asked at the HK Apple Store, & been told that it's not possible for HK residents (or any non-US residents) to register for the US iTunes store without a valid US credit card.

its possible, i'm from germany and i also have a US and UK iTunes Account. i even use US iTunes Match

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-itunes-account-access-usonly-contents-credit-card/

its gonna ask you for a US address, i simply used 90210 beverly hills :D

Sensation
Meanwhile, Microsoft are still just about getting the hang of retail stores...

To be fair they dont need retail stores seeing as everyone else sells their products.

draper3000
Jun 22, 2012, 04:11 AM
For any small developers out there, you need to login to iTunes connect and agree to two new contacts for your apps to be visible in these new Countries.

Just did mine...

I might get more than 10 sales a day... but then again probably not.

I would have thought before these Countries had there own stores that iphone users could have found a way to buy apps from the US store...

Tritons
Jun 22, 2012, 04:46 AM
Why can't they make one in Latvia. Way bigger market than most of those small countries.

naphatkrit
Jun 22, 2012, 04:59 AM
Cambodia and Laos?? Where is Thailand! Please come to Thailand!!!

"Authorized" dealers and distributors here have unbearable service!! :mad:

Thailand does have the App Store, just not the iTunes music store nor the physical Apple Store.

bazinga!!
Jun 22, 2012, 05:01 AM
oops

maril1111
Jun 22, 2012, 05:08 AM

Sorry but you are incorrect. We do have an App-Store we don't have an "Apple Store".

And sweet, now if we able would only build more "Apple Stores". :D

Phil A.
Jun 22, 2012, 05:35 AM
so basically every third world country gets an Apple store, but Belgium not? :(
Try reading the article again - this is about The App Store, not Apple Stores ;)

idmism
Jun 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
[QUOTE=G5isAlive;15101224]no fresh water? there's an app for that!

sorry. couldn't resist.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

;) lol

Mactrix
Jun 22, 2012, 06:56 AM
Great! :) Next time I visit Nepal, I will remember to try out the Store. ;)

GoldMan
Jun 22, 2012, 07:06 AM
Sorry people. I was tired yesterday and it looked like "Apple Store" and not App store :)

bbeagle
Jun 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
The same could be said for Syria, Iraq, IRAN....??? The map they are showing has nothing to do with the list of countries they just put out.

Yes it does.

The lighter colored countries are countries where Apple does NOT have an App Store. Because there are so few countries where Apple doesn't have an App Store, no matter what the color (light or dark), the non-app store countries seem highlighted.

yg17
Jun 22, 2012, 07:44 AM
It can't be that either; Republic of Congo is highlighted on the map, but it was supposedly just added, unless someone has confused Dem Rep. Congo with Rep. Congo.

Also since Tim Cook is in the photo, this image can't be directly related to the article. The original photo is probably showing "countries with carriers that provide iPhones" or something.

I can assure you that no carrier in North Korea sells the iPhone. I'm not even sure cell phones are legal in NK. That country is ass-backwards.

Perrumpo
Jun 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
Is it just me or does Portugal look light blue on that map?

tejagamer
Jun 22, 2012, 08:10 AM
No India Yet!! :(
When will Apple come to India.. Waiting!

Yvan256
Jun 22, 2012, 08:26 AM
Yes it does.

The lighter colored countries are countries where Apple does NOT have an App Store. Because there are so few countries where Apple doesn't have an App Store, no matter what the color (light or dark), the non-app store countries seem highlighted.

When something is "off", it's dark. When something is "on", it's light.

That's why so many people misinterpret the map. Apple has inverted the usual accepted convention when they made that map.

It's not like Apple don't know about this convention either. When you search something in System Preferences, the window gets darker with lighted circles around the icons where a match is found. A similar thing happens when you search something on a Web page with Safari.

Mad-B-One
Jun 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
1. Set your settings to "USA"
2. Get a prepaid U.S. Visa Card (available at all major U.S. grociers)
3. Only use iTunes cards from the U.S. to increase your balance.

I think that should work - not only for the free stuff but also for music and paid book content which are excluded from a lot of local AppStores. Alternatively, in Europe, you can get that from France, GB or Germany which also have a "full" store online for all content. Limitation might be that the content is limited language-wise. Now, in Europe, you learn at least one of the three languages in school, so, in case content is limited, you improve your language skills. :cool:

Nawizo
Jun 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
It's do annoying that apple should open an app store for Zimbabwe Namibia and DRC all of which are our neighbors in my country Zambia, a country with a really long history of independence and has a very good investor profile so the amount of tax wouldn't be that much. Samsung and Blackberry already have services available and it's no wonder they have done well in African markets. There has been an apple frenzy in my country but it's not as good as it would be if people could get applications for their apple devices. Wake up apple, it sucks to see my country surrounded from all sides like an island by countries with app store support while we remain in the dark.

Someone please give me Tim Cook's email so I can get a comment

I think apple needs to stop being a bully and should start listening to its consumers, I know profits look good now but there is only so much people will tolerate, at some point they will make loses if they don't start listening to want consumers want. There are a lot of company's that have learnt the hard way, apple you don't wanna be next

Thunderhawks
Jun 22, 2012, 10:13 AM

There is a lot of money there, especially in Nigeria.

Finally the esteemed Reverends and left behind widows who keep sending out e-mails with million dollar fortunes they want to send us can spend that money on Apple stuff.

blumpkin
Jun 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
dont understand why peope care about app store availability. U.s. Store s always available wherever ou are...just scroll to the bottom of itunes registration page and change flag to u.s.
http://www.anthonysecco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/derp.jpg

macquariumguy
Jun 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
Great, now I wish they'd do the same for the bookstore.

AndrewClarke
Jun 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Please, I live in Zambia where there isnt any apple store. There is a gigantic craze for blackberries here. Everyone does it. You know why, because RIM actually set it up. There is even a store I know that sells an iPhone 4 for nearly $2,500. Needless to say its collecting dust. If they sell an iPhone 4 for the price of a blackberry torch, it can be popular. If they do it throughout africa, it can gain a considerable amount of sales. I usually have to wait until I go out of the country before I buy an Apple product.

It's do annoying that apple should open an app store for Zimbabwe Namibia and DRC all of which are our neighbors in my country Zambia, a country with a really long history of independence and has a very good investor profile so the amount of tax wouldn't be that much. Samsung and Blackberry already have services available and it's no wonder they have done well in African markets. There has been an apple frenzy in my country but it's not as good as it would be if people could get applications for their apple devices. Wake up apple, it sucks to see my country surrounded from all sides like an island by countries with app store support while we remain in the dark.

Someone please give me Tim Cook's email so I can get a comment

I think apple needs to stop being a bully and should start listening to its consumers, I know profits look good now but there is only so much people will tolerate, at some point they will make loses if they don't start listening to want consumers want. There are a lot of company's that have learnt the hard way, apple you don't wanna be next

I came here to post that it's Zambia that's lit up on the map, not Zimbabwe. Then I went to the App Store to confirm and no, it's Zimbabwe, not Zambia. Someone just got the map wrong. I'm really surprised about this as Zambia has a more stable government and a much stronger economy. Strange decision.

I'm heading to Zambia next January. It sounds like I should bring some extra iPhones and iPads to fund my trip!

Mad-B-One
Jun 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
I came here to post that it's Zambia that's lit up on the map, not Zimbabwe. Then I went to the App Store to confirm and no, it's Zimbabwe, not Zambia. Someone just got the map wrong. I'm really surprised about this as Zambia has a more stable government and a much stronger economy. Strange decision.

I'm heading to Zambia next January. It sounds like I should bring some extra iPhones and iPads to fund my trip!

You do realize that the lit-up countries are the ones WITHOUT service, right? There is no service in North Korea, Afghanitan, Iran, Irak, Somalia, etc. Just saying... :)

I think everyone thought that the lit-up countries are the "new AppStores" and then I realized the countries like North Korea, etc, and I knew that can't be right. Wondering about Serbia though - they seem to be pretty stable compared to others.

AndrewClarke
Jun 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
You do realize that the lit-up countries are the ones WITHOUT service, right? There is no service in North Korea, Afghanitan, Iran, Irak, Somalia, etc. Just saying... :)

I think everyone thought that the lit-up countries are the "new AppStores" and then I realized the countries like North Korea, etc, and I knew that can't be right. Wondering about Serbia though - they seem to be pretty stable compared to others.

Haha OK, that makes sense. I assumed, as you said, that they'd highlighted the new countries on a map. I only really noticed Zambia since that was all I was personally interested in.

brdeveloper
Jun 22, 2012, 11:40 AM

Significant enough for accepting international credit cards from there.

Mad-B-One
Jun 22, 2012, 12:21 PM

Just historically, Africa is very important. 95% of the genetic variety of the human genome is found in Afrika (2.5% comes from the Neanderthaliens, the rest from the few females who left Africa and had surviving offspring). So, it's back to the roots :D - on that note: all humans are genetically closer related than any given primate's group found in the wild to each other.

bbeagle
Jun 22, 2012, 01:16 PM

That's why so many people misinterpret the map. Apple has inverted the usual accepted convention when they made that map.

There is no convention.

Look at the following maps and what is highlighted. The highlighted portion is DARKER than the non-highlighted portion (same common color).

http://wiki-images.enotes.com/thumb/6/6d/England_locator_map_w_Northumberland_highlighted.svg/300px-England_locator_map_w_Northumberland_highlighted.svg.png

http://1x57.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/namibia-map-africa-highlighted-location-contintent.png

The only issue is that if too many countries/provinces get highlighted then what actually is highlighted becomes confusing.

For example, in the following.... which are highlighted and which aren't? In this map, Alaska, Hawaii, Mississippi and Vermont are meant to be EXCLUDED (this company does not do work in those states), same as what Apple did.

http://www.gladysmanion.com/Homes/Images/Map/0/0/c2201e/EFEFEF/2/0/0///map.png
http://www.gladysmanion.com/listings/index.php?&ShowUSMap=1&

BenK01
Jun 22, 2012, 02:18 PM

Yes, it is. There's more money that you think there.

Yumbo
Jun 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
Finally Fiji makes the cut.
There is a significant market there and I did my best to develop it.
Next question is whether gift cards will be produced.

Ps. 47% is highly inaccurate. Where did that get sourced?

Yvan256
Jun 23, 2012, 08:41 AM
There is no convention.

Look at the following maps and what is highlighted. The highlighted portion is DARKER than the non-highlighted portion (same common color).

Image (http://wiki-images.enotes.com/thumb/6/6d/England_locator_map_w_Northumberland_highlighted.svg/300px-England_locator_map_w_Northumberland_highlighted.svg.png)

Image (http://1x57.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/namibia-map-africa-highlighted-location-contintent.png)

The only issue is that if too many countries/provinces get highlighted then what actually is highlighted becomes confusing.

For example, in the following.... which are highlighted and which aren't? In this map, Alaska, Hawaii, Mississippi and Vermont are meant to be EXCLUDED (this company does not do work in those states), same as what Apple did.

Image (http://www.gladysmanion.com/Homes/Images/Map/0/0/c2201e/EFEFEF/2/0/0///map.png)
http://www.gladysmanion.com/listings/index.php?&ShowUSMap=1&

But the non-highlighted areas are not colored, they're in white/grey.

manu chao
Jun 24, 2012, 09:45 AM

It's not like Apple don't know about this convention either. When you search something in System Preferences, the window gets darker with lighted circles around the icons where a match is found. A similar thing happens when you search something on a Web page with Safari.
Well, that this map is not one released by Apple, it is a screenshot from the WWDC keynote. In the keynote, you first see a map of countries where the App store is available now (it is obvious which colour are the existing ones because we all know which countries definitely have the App store and we know that the majority of all countries already have it), and then you see an animation of new countries flying onto the map, and finally the map will the new total coverage (which is the screenshot shown here).

Thus in the keynote it is blindingly obvious what is what, ie, there is nothing wrong in the way Apple created that map. It is just that when part of the presentation is quoted out of context that one might misinterpret things. But looking at the map itself it should become obvious within seconds that the brighter countries are the ones without an App store, who in his right mind would think that Cuba, Libya, Syria, Iran, Somalia, Afghanistan, or North Korea would have an App store? And that is without even reading the list of new countries.

----------

1. Set your settings to "USA"
2. Get a prepaid U.S. Visa Card (available at all major U.S. grociers)
3. Only use iTunes cards from the U.S. to increase your balance.

I think that should work - not only for the free stuff but also for music and paid book content which are excluded from a lot of local AppStores. Alternatively, in Europe, you can get that from France, GB or Germany which also have a "full" store online for all content. Limitation might be that the content is limited language-wise. Now, in Europe, you learn at least one of the three languages in school, so, in case content is limited, you improve your language skills. :cool:
How do I get a U.S. Visa Card from a major U.S. grocery store when living in Europe? Just take a quick flight over to the U.S. for it?

BTW, most international iTMS and App Stores are in English. When Apple first expanded beyond the U.S. (to the UK, Germany and France) they localised the language to French and German. On their next expansion all additional stores just were in English. They have since localised to several other languages (eg, Spanish because of the huge market) but the majority of non-US App stores is still in English-only.

liquidmasl
Jun 24, 2012, 03:26 PM
.. and still no Austria... oh guys ):

Edit: read the thread.. it about the app-store?

dbehterev
Jun 25, 2012, 01:03 AM
Ok, guys, I understand why Apple don't want to open its shops in the Russia Federation...Because of bears on the streets...:) It's a joke. Seriously, there are a lot of people who like Apple products and pay much more than prices in official AppStore. For example, base model non-retina MBP costs 44% more than it costs in your USA retail store. Another problem is delivery. I can order MBP from USA but there is no guarantee that your parcel will be delivered in a right condition. Our post service is really bad and nobody covers possible damages. Also delivery companies such as USPS say that because your parcel has wireless module so we can't cover any accidents. It sounds strange but if you work with delivery companies that give you P.O. address in USA (shipito for example) you know what I am talking about. So I am planning to find a friend in USA who can help me deliver MBP to Russia or I can have an one-day trip to Finland to buy my dream.

bbeagle
Jun 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
But the non-highlighted areas are not colored, they're in white/grey.

No - in the first map, the highlighted color is dark yellow, and the background is light yellow. In the second map, the highlighted color is red, and the background is light red. Only in the last map, the non-highlighted area is white/grey.

roozie12
Jun 25, 2012, 11:03 AM

they get the free apps