PDA

View Full Version : Is AppleCare REALLY worth it for the MacBook Air?

Sounds Good
Jun 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
Hi guys,

I never buy an extended warranty for my electronics. Truth is I've always been lucky and haven't needed one. Therefore, I typically would pass on something like AppleCare for my MacBook Air purchase. But...

Since AppleCare seems to be a pretty popular item around here, I'm curious to know how many of you think it's a worthwhile investment AND WHY YOU FEEL THAT WAY -- and how many of you believe it's NOT worth it.

Thanks!

RocketRed
Jun 21, 2012, 09:52 PM
I always buy AppleCare for all my Apple products. Even though I take extremely good care of my computer, I like the idea that I am always protected.

AppleCare is a good long-term investment purchase. If you are planning to sell it and still have AppleCare warranty left, you can up the price.

In my opinion, it's worth it.

GGJstudios
Jun 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
AppleCare (http://www.apple.com/support/products/)
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display (http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html)

You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here (https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do)
AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A) and iPhone (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A), not for Apple computers.
Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) (http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&tbs=qdr%3Ay&q=applecare+worth+site%3Aforums.macrumors.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=) it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

ijen0311
Jun 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm debating the same thing right now. It's $190 from B/H Photo.

WoodNUFC
Jun 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
I think it's well worth it. I've had my MBA completely replaced (piece by piece) over the last 3 years. Would've cost me a fortune to actually pay for the work myself.

GREEN4U
Jun 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
I got AppleCare on my PowerBook G4 and it saved me a couple times. Twice I had a dead pixel and once there was a problem with my RAM. The dead pixels I probably could've lived with had I not had the AppleCare but the other problem was at least a few hundred dollars.

If you're tight on money I would wait until your first year is up. You'll have a better idea of how good or lucky your machine is.

Sounds Good
Jun 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
I've had my MBA completely replaced (piece by piece) over the last 3 years.
Really? I've been very lucky with my numerous Windows machines. Are there really that many problems (a need for repair or replacement) with a MacBook Air?

WesCole
Jun 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
I got it on my Air I just ordered. It's really good for peace of mind since nothing is user-replaceable anymore. Also, if you decide to sell before three years are up, you will get a lot of that initial investment for Apple Care back in your selling price. I also have Apple Care on my iPhone 4S, iPad, and iMac. I didn't get it on my 2010 MacBook Pro, though, because it was much more easily repairable.

GREEN4U
Jun 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
If you use your Amex or Visa Signature to add an extra year of warranty AND AppleCare, do you get 4 years of warranty or still only 3? (meaning youre really only getting 1 additional year with AppleCare?

Sounds Good
Jun 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
If you use your Amex or Visa Signature to add an extra year of warranty AND AppleCare, do you get 4 years of warranty or still only 3? (meaning youre really only getting 1 additional year with AppleCare?
Oooh, great question!

scarred
Jun 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
Don't care if the queen herself is offering it, the answer is always "No" to extended warranties. This is especially true with computers... if they break, they'll usually break within your first year (which is already covered).

As you research this, watch out for confirmation bias.

Nychot
Jun 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
If i keep my new mba a full year or more i will buy applecare next june. Its a delicate machine no matter how strong. The coverage is worth it and if you sell you can charge more or i think get pro rata rebate from apple.

slipper
Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 PM
I don't remember ever getting any sort of warranty repair for any of my Macs except for a top case replacement that Apple deemed a manufacturing defect which is a free repair with or without AppleCare. In general, Macs have proven to be more reliable than most other computers.

I think the MacBook Air will prove to be even more reliable due to the fact that it does not use any mechanical parts such as a HDD or optical drive.

KPOM
Jun 21, 2012, 10:56 PM
Companies like to sell extended warranties because they are profitable. That said, AppleCare is a better deal than most extended warranties, partly because Macs are not easily repaired. Note, however, that your credit card company likely doubles your warranty (though not BarclayCard*, which is the card who offers the 12-month same-as-cash plan at Apple stores and Apple.com).

Also consider that AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. I was partly expecting them to expand AppleCare+ (which covers accidental damage to iPhones and iPads) to the Mac line, but so far they haven't. Companies like SquareTrade offer accidental damage coverage, but a better option may be to buy a personal articles policy from your homeowner's/renter's insurance company. In my case, it was $33/year for coverage against theft or accidental damage.

* - On the whole, the BarclayCard is one of the worst cards I've seen. They don't have much in the way of promotions, and their cards don't offer good benefits. You are better off with a company who can offer a Visa Signature, AMEX, or World Mastercard.

----------

Just 1 year, from what I can tell. Visa Signature is happy to sell you an extended warranty, though.

GekkePrutser
Jun 22, 2012, 06:01 AM
If you're going to buy it, wait until your original year is almost up.

As it's a portable, chances are you'll be dragging it around a lot, and if it gets stolen/dropped in the first year you would have bought the applecare for nothing.

Besides something compelling may come out during the first year (a retina Air?) that you would absolutely want to upgrade to.

yegon
Jun 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
I buy it from a reseller at less than half what Apple charge. Here in the uk, I've bought two lots of Apple Care from CeX for about £100 each time. One was for my late 08 mbp, the other for my 2011 MBA. Had a replacement trackpad and optical drive via Care on my mbp after theyd worn out from two years hard use, the MBA has so far had no issues.

Personally, I think Apple Care is more essential than its ever been given how un-user serviceable the MBA is. Could quite easily have done a fair bit of fiddling with my old mbp, I wouldn't know where to start with my MBA.

Normally, I never go near extended warranties, this is my only exception.

mattopotamus
Jun 22, 2012, 06:39 AM
i always get it on all of my apple products. It helps with resell value, especially on phones. If i have any damage on the exterior of my phone i pay $50 with applecare+ and get a brand new one before i sell it. Someone posted in a similar thread to this one about how they have gotten 3 newest models of laptops through applecare. When their laptop went bad and couldn't be repaired Apple just gave them a new laptop (newest version)

cecildk9999
Jun 22, 2012, 07:13 AM
It's really good for peace of mind since nothing is user-replaceable anymore.

This is the best reason for it with the Airs and new Pros, in my opinion; if I'm going to spend somewhere between $1,000-$2,000 for a new computer, the extra couple hundred dollars for Applecare helps guarantee that I get three years of functionality for my machine. It also removes the frustration when/if you do have a problem; it becomes Apple's responsibility to take care of it (provided you didn't leave it out in the rain or something ;) ), and you don't have to argue/stress over the cost of a fix. That said, my MBP is entering its sixth year of service, and other than a new DVD drive, I didn't have an occasion to utilize Applecare for anything.

comatose81
Jun 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
I bought it for my 11" MBA. I mean, when you're buying something for $1,000+, what's another $200?

In general, I am more inclined to get extended warranties for phones for two reasons - they are used a ton and likely to get dropped/damaged, and the purchase price is not the same as the replacement cost.

I didn't get AppleCare for my iPad because it's a flat cost of $499. For $150 or whatever it is, we're talking about 1/3 of the price. Not worth it in my opinion. At $1,300 or whatever the MacBook Air is, I'll blow the $200 to not have to worry about anything breaking for 3 years.

However, I don't blame anyone for not buying it. Apple has built a reputation on reliable products.

Aniseedvan
Jun 22, 2012, 07:23 AM
+1 because it's serviceable parts are reduced.

That said it's easier for me as in the UK we get 3 years free if through the HE store.

People's reports on here about how good it is is reassuring.

Personally I'm looking to keep mine 3 years+ so it's not a resale issue but one to keep it going!

Puevlo
Jun 22, 2012, 07:24 AM
Yeah get it. For a little bit extra your MBA will last three years instead of only one.

NewbieCanada
Jun 22, 2012, 07:31 AM
The main logic board on my 2011 MBA failed a month or two ago. Still under the included 1st year, but the invoice showed they'd have charged $500 for a replacement.

If you plan on keeping your device, plan on it failing. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. Never bought one on anything, but I'll buy applecare for my MBPR when the end of year one approaches, unless of course I know something even better is coming that I'll replace it with. ;)

jameswdmb
Jun 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
Question for you -
If something goes wrong with your Macbook air do you think you can fix it? From special screwdrivers to proprietary SSD's, to custom battery's......Looks like you will be giving Apple some money to fix if something goes wrong, and it will likely be more money than the cost of Applecare if that ever does happen. Look at RAM as just a for instance.....RAM can fail anytime for a number of different reasons. How are you going to fix that when its soldered to the motherboard?

IMO - It's like health insurance (with no deductible) and its not worth it when you dont get sick, but when you have a medical issue(s) come up, the cost of healthcare is usually several times more than the cost of the coverage you have paid for. I personally like the idea of not having to worry for three years and then starting to look at upgrading when a warranty runs out.

Maybe you are a gambler at heart?

ormie
Jun 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
Any portable Mac is best covered with Applecare. My first MacBook Pro 15" developed unrepairable faults and was replaced with a new i7 Pro. So I'd say yes to getting it for the Air too.

scarred
Jun 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
IMO - It's like health insurance (with no deductible) and its not worth it when you dont get sick, but when you have a medical issue(s) come up, the cost of healthcare is usually several times more than the cost of the coverage you have paid for. I personally like the idea of not having to worry for three years and then starting to look at upgrading when a warranty runs out.

Maybe you are a gambler at heart?

Except you won't die if your macbook air breaks.

Why are you worried about a computer breaking? It probably won't. If it does, you'll be out, at most, 1k (you are covered for the first year, so by the time it means anything, your computer has already been devalued). It would suck yup, but not something you should need to concern yourself about. It is just not worth buying insurance for something with such a low value.

Stop worrying. You are covered against manufacturing defects already.

WoodNUFC
Jun 22, 2012, 08:47 AM
Really? I've been very lucky with my numerous Windows machines. Are there really that many problems (a need for repair or replacement) with a MacBook Air?

I bought the first revision of the MBA back from 2008. They had a lot of issues that have since been ironed out (from what I've read). I won't buy another laptop that isn't a MacBook Air! I love mine to bits, even if I've needed some work done.

That said, they are machines, and could break or become defective. To me, it's worth the money for the peace of mind. My family has learnt that lesson through various Windows and Apple computers.

islanders
Jun 22, 2012, 08:48 AM
I've had 3 Mac laptops over the past 12 years. The first one I go Apple Care that covered a display that went bad 2.5 years into the AppleCare. The LCD tended to last about 3 years, and the only thing that went bad. I started replacing it myself with used ones off eBay.

Isn't the LED supposed to last longer?

Also, Apple used to have the fix everything option for something like $400, can't remember the exact price. Is that option still available?

Replacing the screen is quite a bit more involved with the Air. Also not sure how much a replacement screen would be just for a new screen? Probably can pick up a used one off eBay on the cheap.

camac
Jun 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hi, new here :).
It seems that the general consensus is that the 3 years of hardware warranty from AppleCare makes it pretty much worth while.
But I'm thinking about buying a MBA for university - I'll get the student discount as well as the 3 free years of warranty. Is there anything AppleCare offers on top of the warranty that makes it really worth £40 for the 3 years? (student discount allows for this deal).
I know I'd get phone support but I'm not really bothered with that, I'm happy to use forums or email; anything else AppleCare provides apart from that?

lockerc18
Jun 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
I bought it for my 11" MBA. I mean, when you're buying something for $1,000+, what's another $200?

What's another $200?

Well... $200 is another 4GB RAM and a processor upgrade.

Or, at 8 bucks a six, that's... oh... over 6 cases of Sam Adams.

Your choice.

katmeef
Jun 22, 2012, 09:16 AM
Hello,

My visa card gives, for free, an extra one year coverage on top of manufactures warranty, also covering against theft/accidental damage. I have used the plan already when I dropped my 'the new iPad' few weeks after getting it, I just paid the repair cost and within 2 weeks they cut me a cheque.

In this circumstance would you suggest AppleCare for really just the third year (without theft or accidental coverage of course) - if it's going to die due to part failure how likely is it to happen between years two and three?

Thanks,
Matt

majordude
Jun 22, 2012, 09:16 AM

Uh, +20%?

Creek0512
Jun 22, 2012, 09:21 AM
It's actually $250, or probably about 20% of the cost of the computer.

mszpara
Jun 22, 2012, 09:25 AM
I bought AppleCare for my new MBA, I wouldn't even know where to begin fixing an Apple machine - so I got it as a "just-in-case"

Question, since I bought it the same day I got the MBA, does that mean that I have 3 years of coverage?

Creek0512
Jun 22, 2012, 09:42 AM
Question, since I bought it the same day I got the MBA, does that mean that I have 3 years of coverage?

I believe it's 3 year's of coverage from the date of purchase of the computer, regardless of when you buy the Apple Care.

Creek0512
Jun 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
I am probably biased because I've never had any problems with any of my Macs and so never had any need for Apple Care. But I just don't see it as very cost effective. You are already covered for the first year, which is the most important. Any damage to your Mac over years 2-3 is much more likely to be self-inflicted and therefore fall outside the coverage Apple Care provides. Then you won't have the $250 to spend on repairs or a replacement computer.

Also, the medical insurance comparision is just dumb for obvious reasons. And if you view what is basically a 4-1 payout on something with odds that are lower than 1000-1 as "gambling", then you probably don't win much money.

You'll notice that most of the people that recommend it do so for "peace of mind" and not because they think they will need to use it. Although one poster seems to think his computer will stop working after one year if he doesn't purchase Apple Care.

KPOM
Jun 22, 2012, 10:00 AM
I bought AppleCare for my new MBA, I wouldn't even know where to begin fixing an Apple machine - so I got it as a "just-in-case"

Yes, it is three years from the date of purchase of the computer, not the AppleCare plan itself.

hempcamp
Jun 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
I've never understood the value of AppleCare. Anything that's ever happened to my Macs/iPhones/iPad outside of the first year has been my fault and not covered by AppleCare anyway (spills, floods, drops, etc).

The only time I've had a problem outside of the one year was a faulty logic board in my first iBook, which Apple would have replaced anyway because it was apparently a model-specific issue. (Instead of sending it in for replacement, I sold it for parts at a much higher return and purchased an iMac.)

My credit card doubles the manufacturer warranty to 2 years, which is about my upgrade cycle anyway. I'd guess most people in to Apple enough to be active on this forum probably have a similar (or much shorter!) upgrade cycle.

comatose81
Jun 22, 2012, 12:40 PM
Uh, +20%?

If you're worried about $200, you shouldn't be buying a $1,000 laptop where the primary feature is form factor.

Just my opinion.

hempcamp
Jun 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
If you're worried about $200, you shouldn't be buying a $1,000 laptop where the primary feature is form factor.

Just my opinion.

The flip side of that argument is those of us who are now in the position to buy such laptops didn't get here by dropping $200 on things we didn't really need.

Alrescha
Jun 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
The money I have saved by not buying AppleCare for any of my Macs over the past decade will be paying for my next Mac.

A.

marzer
Jun 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
I've gotten Applecare for all but one of my Apple laptops and desktops over the years. I've had to use it for 3 repairs (2 were on one machine) in 12 years between 10 computers. I forgot to get it on the 2008 Macbook my daughter now uses for college, and its not had any issues to date.

So statistically speaking, the risk would be very low to forego it on future purchases and just risk paying out of pocket for repairs.

soulreaver99
Jun 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Heck yeah Apple Care is worth it! I had an SD reader go bad a few years ago and Apple swapped out the entire logic board... Keys getting stuck on a MacBook Air and they swapped that out entirely... Screen flickering on a 2 year old macbook pro and they took care of that too. So it really does pay for itself especially adds to the resale value.

Chipg
Jun 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Not worth it imop because you can get an extra year warranty for free by using your amex card to buy it so for $250 your really only getting 1 year (the 3rd year although the 2nd year overlaps and either amex or apple care will cover it). After 2 years I bet the $250 the apple care cost will make up 40% of the value of an Air by then.

GREEN4U
Jun 22, 2012, 01:15 PM
Not worth it imop because you can get an extra year warranty for free by using your amex card to buy it so for $250 your really only getting 1 year (the 3rd year although the 2nd year overlaps and either amex or apple care will cover it). After 2 years I bet the $250 the apple care cost will make up 40% of the value of an Air by then.

EXCELLENT POINT. I will not be buying AppleCare on my new 13" MBA knowing this. Thanks Chip.

Aniseedvan
Jun 22, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hi, new here :).
It seems that the general consensus is that the 3 years of hardware warranty from AppleCare makes it pretty much worth while.
But I'm thinking about buying a MBA for university - I'll get the student discount as well as the 3 free years of warranty. Is there anything AppleCare offers on top of the warranty that makes it really worth £40 for the 3 years? (student discount allows for this deal).
I know I'd get phone support but I'm not really bothered with that, I'm happy to use forums or email; anything else AppleCare provides apart from that?

Camac the extra £48 gives you three years phone support. You get three years repair support regardless of whether you pay the £48 or not. I've got an apple store where I work, so will pass on the additional payment.

AMEXplat
Jun 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hello,

My visa card gives, for free, an extra one year coverage on top of manufactures warranty, also covering against theft/accidental damage. I have used the plan already when I dropped my 'the new iPad' few weeks after getting it, I just paid the repair cost and within 2 weeks they cut me a cheque.
Can you tell us which visa cc type/brand that offers 1yr accendental coverage? The few that I've seen all have only up to 90 days.

TIA :cool:

markcres
Jun 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
Don't care if the queen herself is offering it, the answer is always "No" to extended warranties. This is especially true with computers... if they break, they'll usually break within your first year (which is already covered).

Normally I would agree with you....but.... I bought the first Intel iMac back in January 2006 and the screen developed dodgy lines a couple of weeks before the AppleCare warranty was due to run out in 2009. I took it to an authorised centre and within 4 hours it had a brand new LCD screen and a thorough clean....it is still in use today. Without the AppleCare extended warranty it would have been rendered worthless.

gnasher729
Jun 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
Hi guys,

I never buy an extended warranty for my electronics. Truth is I've always been lucky and haven't needed one. Therefore, I typically would pass on something like AppleCare for my MacBook Air purchase. But...

Since AppleCare seems to be a pretty popular item around here, I'm curious to know how many of you think it's a worthwhile investment AND WHY YOU FEEL THAT WAY -- and how many of you believe it's NOT worth it.

1. Check out what other coverage you have.

2. You can wait ten months to buy AppleCare - see how your MBA works out. If you have any faults and repairs in the first ten months, get AppleCare. If your MBA works fine without any problems after ten months, maybe not.

rkdiddy
Jun 22, 2012, 04:24 PM
Two reasons I purchase AppleCare:

1). In my experience Apple Geniuses tend to be a little more lenient with repairs on machines/products that have AppleCare. It has even come in handy when I had a TC that went out after 2.5 years. They were able to connect it to a laptop that was purchased at the same time and replaced it for free.

2). Resale value. I tend to hold onto my gadgets for around 2 years. I think it's a selling point to potential buyers that your product is still under warranty.

As far as the extended year for AMEX, I was told when I purchased my last Mini - that yes, that was the case. However, the 4th year is covered through AMEX, not Apple.

One other thing. You can find AppleCare on eBay for cheaper than buying it directly from Apple. Just make sure it is for the correct product. Once you purchase the AppleCare, they will send you the activation code. You simply log into your Apple account and apply it to your device.

islanders
Jun 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
If you hang out at MacRumors long enough you need 16GB of RAM, 560SSD HD, AppleCare, $400 leather case, keyboard cover, hardcase.. all in the name of future proofing that will likely be slower than next years base model. :)

djharris
Jun 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
I've only had one Apple laptop, I'm still using it (09 13" MBP) and AppleCare came in handy for me because a few months before the warranty ran out, OS X notified me that the battery needed replacing. Don't underestimate how unreliable battery technology is. Apple's batteries are the best I've seen, but even the best fail at some point (like mine did.)

Try to get an educational or local/state/fed gov't discount, AppleCare is probably the best discount they offer under those programs. Also, I would recommend NOT buying from eBay, because the risk of fraud (due to sellers using programs to generate codes, probably) is too great. There are numerous other threads on this topic.

GREEN4U
Jun 22, 2012, 04:47 PM
I've only had one Apple laptop, I'm still using it (09 13" MBP) and AppleCare came in handy for me because a few months before the warranty ran out, OS X notified me that the battery needed replacing.

AppleCare is not supposed to cover batteries. So what the heck?

jojoba
Jun 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
I got AppleCare for my MBA, but not for my iPad. With the price of the MBA, I figured that the extended warranty was worth adding. I was in two minds about it, and I'm sure it's a huge source of profit for Apple, so for the iPad I was more willing to just take the risk. So far, I've only used their technical support for a software issue. I got really good help on the phone, but their surcharges for calling were pretty outrageous, which pissed me off since the service is advertised as 'free' phone support (with a very tiny script at the bottom that says local charges may apply).

scarred
Jun 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
Normally I would agree with you....but.... I bought the first Intel iMac back in January 2006 and the screen developed dodgy lines a couple of weeks before the AppleCare warranty was due to run out in 2009. I took it to an authorised centre and within 4 hours it had a brand new LCD screen and a thorough clean....it is still in use today. Without the AppleCare extended warranty it would have been rendered worthless.

While I am sincerely glad it worked out for you, the other option would have been to pay $500 when it broke for the exact same results.

unibility
Jun 22, 2012, 05:38 PM
use your student i.d. and get an education discount.

katmeef
Jun 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
Can you tell us which visa cc type/brand that offers 1yr accendental coverage? The few that I've seen all have only up to 90 days.

TIA :cool:

It's the CIBC dividend visa (in Canada) https://www.cibc.com/ca/pdf/visa/purchase-ins-en.pdf

Matt

Kebabselector
Jun 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
While I am sincerely glad it worked out for you, the other option would have been to pay $500 when it broke for the exact same results.

Or as he's in the UK his consumer rights would have been protected by law. No need for Applecare here.

mattopotamus
Jun 22, 2012, 06:33 PM

it will if it is defective, not if it runs its natural course of time i.e.: 1000 cycles 80% life

Chipg
Jun 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
If you hang out at MacRumors long enough you need 16GB of RAM, 560SSD HD, AppleCare, $400 leather case, keyboard cover, hardcase.. all in the name of future proofing that will likely be slower than next years base model. :)

ha! true that :)

Tanax
Jun 22, 2012, 06:49 PM

Actually, for me.. and this is something I've noticed across a lot of products I've bought, they always break RIGHT AFTER the first year.

gnasher729
Jun 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
Or as he's in the UK his consumer rights would have been protected by law. No need for Applecare here.

If he was able to prove that the problem was due to a fault at the time when he received the Mac (almost three years ago), and if "almost three years" is an unreasonably short time.

KPOM
Jun 22, 2012, 07:50 PM

Don't complain about why things cost more in the UK than the US. I always get annoyed by the "It costs X in the US and the exchange rate is Y, so it should cost X*Y here" argument.

ihonda
Jun 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
just had to have the screen replaced on my 2011 air, there was some sort of tear in the bottom left corner, either way the repair was close to $500.. didnt have to pay so i might consider applecare, still have until sept to decide.

Sounds Good
Jun 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
Ha! Funny, but so true! :)

Bob Coxner
Jun 23, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm going to be buying AC for my MBA next month and I'm curious about using an Amex card to pay for it. Will that extend AC for another year or is the Amex warranty only good when you use it to purchase the computer itself?

GREEN4U
Jun 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm going to be buying AC for my MBA next month and I'm curious about using an Amex card to pay for it. Will that extend AC for another year or is the Amex warranty only good when you use it to purchase the computer itself?

Good call. If the AC adapter comes with a standard warranty (and I believe it does) then you'll get that extra year from Amex. The Amex terms and conditions does not specify what types of products the warranty applies to, just that it extends the manufacturer's warranty, so you're good.

FYI I use my Amex for everything, even at Mcdonalds. Lol.

ormie
Jun 23, 2012, 11:54 AM
You'll notice that most of the people that recommend it do so for "peace of mind" and not because they think they will need to use it. Although one poster seems to think his computer will stop working after one year if he doesn't purchase Apple Care.

Well, here's one that had Applecare for my MacBook Pro 15", which was replaced with a new one after the faulty one had two screen replacements, two logic boards and a new keyboard so they do go wrong and it is worth having Applecare. Yes, you could pay for Applecare and never use it but you could also trip and fall over Breaking your neck too. That's why I recommended having the peace of mind that Applecare gives.

GREEN4U
Jun 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
Well, here's one that had Applecare for my MacBook Pro 15", which was replaced with a new one after the faulty one had two screen replacements, two logic boards and a new keyboard so they do go wrong and it is worth having Applecare. Yes, you could pay for Applecare and never use it but you could also trip and fall over Breaking your neck too. That's why I recommended having the peace of mind that Applecare gives.

But Amex and Visa Sig totally make it not worth it!! Would you actually pay $200 for a ONE year warranty (and in it's 3rd year)??? I'd rather use that money elsewhere or save it for my next laptop.

ormie
Jun 23, 2012, 12:00 PM

My old MacBook (white model) had a battery replaced under Applecare. The genius check the batteries history to see whether it had a good or bad history with the cycles and as it hadn't been abused, was replaced under
Warranty. Oh, and the MacBook had been sold to my pal and the warranty was transferred to him too.

scarred
Jun 23, 2012, 12:09 PM

For every story like this, there are thousands of people who don't have issues. Most companies try and meet targets close to a 99.9996% success rate.

I'm actually fine with people buying AppleCare. Apple uses this as a way to keep profits higher while lowering the cost of the device a bit. So another way to look at it, you are subsidizing me by buying apple care. Thanks!

GGJstudios
Jun 23, 2012, 12:09 PM
AppleCare does cover defective batteries.

GizmoDVD
Jun 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
Never got one and never will.

errorunknown
Jun 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
My last two MacBook pros had the logic board fail a week after the warranty ended. I used American Express and they refunded my purchase price for both, waiting for my retina MacBook now!

IMO skip AppleCare and get American Express!

----------

But Amex and Visa Sig totally make it not worth it!! Would you actually pay $200 for a ONE year warranty (and in it's 3rd year)??? I'd rather use that money elsewhere or save it for my next laptop.

Especially since if it does break after 2 years, Apple only charges a flat 300 repair fee to ship off your laptop and replace ANYTHING that is defective.

Sounds Good
Jun 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
IMO skip AppleCare and get American Express!

Probably good advice.

Blackened Apple
Jun 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Do these American Express warranty extensions also apply outside the US?

thehumorpolice
Jun 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
I think Apple Care is not worth for any device.

Wrong! It's great for the iPhone and iPad now because it covers 2 accidental damage incidents, you pay a small deductible. Also of note, for the smaller gadgets, Applecare only extends the warranty by one year.

GREEN4U
Jun 23, 2012, 06:34 PM
Also of note, for the smaller gadgets, Applecare only extends the warranty by one year.

Which is also exactly what Amex does anyway. Don't you just love Amex? It is destroying this thread. :D

jcg878
Jun 23, 2012, 08:43 PM
I find extended warranties to be a rip-off for anything, but I bought it for the Air. I didn't buy one for my last MBP because I both upgraded user-serviceable parts (which doesn't violate a warranty) and swapped out the CD-ROM for an SSD (which might). That poor lass was claimed by a glass of water, so Applecare wouldn't have helped. My first Macbook had a trackpad die right near the end of its 1-year warranty. That's not something I could fix myself, and with the Air there's nothing I can fix myself. I expect to hold onto the Air for the 3 year period, so I figured it was worth it :apple:

Bob Coxner
Jun 25, 2012, 10:05 AM

A discussion in another thread says Amex will cover 1 year beyond Applecare. That means Amex+AC = 4 years of coverage, versus 2 years of Amex alone. Also, not everyone here is a geek or has a nearby Apple Store. Applecare gives you at least 2 years of free phone support. (2 years, 9 months if you buy it early) No phone support from Amex.

The other thread also said that using Amex to purchase the AC alone is sufficient to get the 4th year, you didn't have to buy the computer itself with Amex.

katmeef
Jun 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
A discussion in another thread says Amex will cover 1 year beyond Applecare. That means Amex+AC = 4 years of coverage, versus 2 years of Amex alone. Also, not everyone here is a geek or has a nearby Apple Store. Applecare gives you at least 2 years of free phone support. (2 years, 9 months if you buy it early) No phone support from Amex.

The other thread also said that using Amex to purchase the AC alone is sufficient to get the 4th year, you didn't have to buy the computer itself with Amex.

CIBC told me their extended coverage is invalidated if I purchase AppleCare (or any external warranties for that matter), they certainly wouldn't add another year on top of AppleCare. I imagine I could still add AppleCare down the road and they wouldn't know, I just don't see that being a good value for one extra year of warranty (year 2-3)

bogatyr
Jun 25, 2012, 10:42 AM

I'm not sure how accurate that is. From AMEX's FAQ:
The program administrator will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you up to the amount charged to the Card, and not to exceed the original purchase price.

I'm pretty sure it requires the actual product being covered to be on the AMEX card.

GREEN4U
Jun 25, 2012, 10:56 AM

Why would a credit card company offer you an extended warranty for something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

And do you have a link for that other thread? 1 anecdote from a secondary source (you) is a pretty tenuous argument.

AppleSticker54
Jun 25, 2012, 12:09 PM
With Apple's legendary service, having the Apple Care gives me such piece of mind for the next three years.

Might I never need it? Perhaps.

Will I sleep better for the next thousand+ nights knowing I have it? Absolutely.

That was what convinced me to get it - for me, it was a no-brainer.

michealwillard
Jun 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
If I need to buy an extended warranty, then I am buying the wrong product. I worked at a store in college, that pushed selling extended warranties. They were almost entirely profit for the company, it was upwards of 95%. That said. I didn't purchase AppleCare for the G4 iMac that is still running in a spare room, or my 1st release 17" MBP that's my second machine.

The only warranty issues I ran into where with the battery on the MBP, but those were replace for free due to the battery having a defect. As many have said, if your computer is defective, it will fail within the warranty. Anything outside of the warranty period is going to be based on how you use it.

Acorn
Jun 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
since everything is pretty much soldered to the motherboard minus hard drive i will definitely be getting applecare before it expires. if the logicboard fails and you have no applecare your screwed with a capital s.

Bigmacduck
Jun 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
For me AppleCare is absolutely worth it as I have a maxed out MBA with 512GB Flash. If the flash brakea 13 month after purchase it is probably costing still an arm and a leg to replace it.

KPOM
Jun 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
since everything is pretty much soldered to the motherboard minus hard drive i will definitely be getting applecare before it expires. if the logicboard fails and you have no applecare your screwed with a capital s.

A logic board repair on a MacBook Air is $765. If 1 out of 3 notebooks has a defect in years 2-3 then AppleCare becomes worthwhile. My guess is the actual number is much less than that.

6-0 Prolene
Jun 25, 2012, 04:26 PM
I don't understand the people who say to wait till the end of the 1-year factory warranty. The AppleCare plan covers 3 years from date of purchase, so it doesn't matter when you buy it.

That said, I also have AppleCare on my 2012 MBA. When I had an MBP and things were user-serviceable, I took my chances, but not this time.

GGJstudios
Jun 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
I don't understand the people who say to wait till the end of the 1-year factory warranty. The AppleCare plan covers 3 years from date of purchase, so it doesn't matter when you buy it.
They recommend waiting so you don't have to pay for the computer and the AC at the same time. Since you can buy AC anytime within the first year, waiting until later in that year gives you more time to save up for it, and it doesn't affect your coverage (except phone support).

GREEN4U
Jun 25, 2012, 05:00 PM
They recommend waiting so you don't have to pay for the computer and the AC at the same time. Since you can buy AC anytime within the first year, waiting until later in that year gives you more time to save up for it, and it doesn't affect your coverage (except phone support).

Waiting also gives you a chance to see how much you abuse your laptop (which can damage parts over time).

Bob Coxner
Jun 25, 2012, 07:24 PM
Why would a credit card company offer you an extended warranty for something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

And do you have a link for that other thread? 1 anecdote from a secondary source (you) is a pretty tenuous argument.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15109023&postcount=11

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15108740&postcount=66

I wasn't the source and here are the messages. The first one does refer to purchasing both computer and AC with Amex, while the second one is talking about Amex + AC only.

It seems pretty clear to me that buying both computer and AC with Amex will give you 4 years of coverage. Buying AC alone with Amex does seem questionable but not impossible for an extra year. Even if you go by the restrictive wording of the Amex FAQ, you might be able to get up to the cost of AC to help with a repair in the 4th year.

Obviously these are anecdotes, as are 99% of the ideas presented in the forums. YMMV.

Acronyc
Jun 25, 2012, 07:50 PM
I think Apple Care is worth it just for the peace of mind. Compared to the cost of a Mac, it's not really that bad. Plus, if you travel a lot or live outside the US, it makes Apple Care even more attractive IMO. I bought it for my 2010 11" MBA and have used it once already when my charger suddenly stopped working.

Sounds Good
Jun 25, 2012, 08:30 PM
I think Apple Care is worth it... used it once already when my charger suddenly stopped working.
I think a charger that suddenly stops working should be covered -- with or without AppleCare.

SpyderBite
Jun 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
I think Apple Care is worth it just for the peace of mind.

/thread

Acronyc
Jun 26, 2012, 01:18 AM
I think a charger that suddenly stops working should be covered -- with or without AppleCare.

It was after the basic one year warranty expired, so that's why I assumed it was the Apple Care that allowed me to get a new one. But I'm not sure how long chargers are covered, so this assumption could be totally wrong.

norneDK
Jun 26, 2012, 04:28 AM
Last year on holiday, my power adapter was destroyed because of some electrical problem in my hotel room (blown fuse). I wonder if I could have used Apple Care to get a new adapter, or if they would say it was an 'externally' caused damage?

I should have checked or asked but I simply forgot and just bought a new adapter. *sigh*

heycal
Sep 30, 2013, 11:42 PM
If an MBA air 11" is $999, is it an extended care plan for 250 bucks that doesn't include damage due to spills and drops really worth it? Seems not to me. Can someone convince me otherwise? Want to purchase an MBA for my 17 year old but not convinced yet that apple care is worth it.

GGJstudios
Oct 1, 2013, 12:26 AM
If an MBA air 11" is $999, is it an extended care plan for 250 bucks that doesn't include damage due to spills and drops really worth it? Seems not to me. Can someone convince me otherwise? Want to purchase an MBA for my 17 year old but not convinced yet that apple care is worth it.
No one needs to convince you one way or another. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you or not. All others can do is say why it is or isn't worth it to them. Your priorities, values and concerns may be completely different than another's. If you haven't already, read post #3.

flowrider
Oct 1, 2013, 12:31 AM

For me it wasn't. But, I have a credit card that offers an extended warranty (one year) plus Apple's one year gives me two.

I've been a Macintosh user since 1986, and have never bought Apple Care, nor have I ever needed it. The MBA may not be as robust as my prior machines, but it's used much less often, so we'll see.

Lou

KiwiAdventure
Oct 1, 2013, 01:24 AM
Both my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro dropped their hard drive just before their Apple Care expired so it's well worth taking out Apple Care and selling one year old iPhones and iPads you get a lot better dollars when you have apple care.

octatonic
Oct 1, 2013, 01:37 AM
I turn the Airs over each year.
I get it because it is a sweetener for the deal, people like the reassurance when buying used.
Also, I'm a student so I get AppleCare for free at the moment.

clyde2801
Oct 1, 2013, 07:22 AM
Normally, I'd pass on a $250 warranty on a $1000 computer, especially for the Air with it's proven design and lack of moving parts. Especially if it's the base model, as they depreciate less than the higher spec'ed ones and are easier to flip on a yearly basis.

OTOH, if I'm buying a computer which costs say $500 more, I'll normally buy AC. I suppose it has something to do with use and expectations: a top end model usually means it's either a primary use system, used for relatively important work, or will be kept for more than one year.

I bought a 2013 11" base for $800 last month on CL, and have been really happy with it. It's about to usurp my iP3 as my on the go off site device. I wasn't intending to spend $250 on a $800 system.

But all the reports of the Toshiba SSD's dying on the 2012 lower spec'ed models just barely out of the initial one year warranty caused me concern, along with Apple's lack of a response so far. All the people reporting stated they didn't buy extended applecare, which I suspect was for the same reasons I previously stated.

Was able to find a unused, still in the shrink wrap AC policy from a reputable seller for $160, even cheaper than B&H Photo's $176. Did some rough calculations, and deduced that would be cheaper than any possible repair other than replacing a worn out battery. If the Air used a conventional 2.5" ssd, I could replace a 128 or 256 gb drive for less money than AC. But the less common blade drives used on the Air, especially the 2013's MPCle ssd, ensure that this will not be the case.

The saving grace of AC is that you do have a year after the initial purchase to buy it. You could go ahead and buy one now and see if there are any widespread problems reported by here on the forum on the Apple Support site, and if Apple decides to extend the warranty on the 2012 toshiba ssd's.

MrGimper
Oct 1, 2013, 07:52 AM
I have it on my 2011 cMBP. I bought the machine pre-owned and the fact it had the additional 2 years certainly influenced my purchase.

I have it on my Air and thankfully I haven't had to use it yet *touches wood*

Annnnnd, bought it for the pre-owned iMac I just purchased covering it to mid 2015. Shortly after purchase I got a dead pixel and had the display swapped out. Bearing in mind this fix alone would have been £400.

Bear in mind that having Applecare on a mac also covers some peripherals. I bought a pre-owned 3TB time capsule from Amazon that developed a fault. Because I had Applecare on the cMBP they replaced the time capsule with a new one off the shelf.

I'd not buy an Apple computer without it either already being in place, or purchasing it myself.

The 2x Applecare I've purchased, I got from Amazon ... saved about 40% on each.

ZBoater
Oct 1, 2013, 03:10 PM
I just got Applecare from Adorama for $179. Bonus is that they shipped to FL, which not even Apple does... :cool:

Crazy Badger
Oct 7, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'm on my 3rd MBA in 6 years, and have taken out and used AppleCare on my last 2 (screen & hinge replaced on 2008 model and screen replaced on 2010 model). Have only just bought the new one, but before the end of Sept 2014 I'll be taking out AppleCare.

Never paid the full Apple RRP though, and never had a problem with online alternatives

NMF
Oct 7, 2013, 07:45 AM
I get it because it is a sweetener for the deal, people like the reassurance when buying used.

This has absolutely not been my experience, and I've sold quite a few used Macs, iPhones and iPads over the past few years. People who are buying used don't care about extended warranties, they care about cheap. They might prefer for AppleCare to be on there but they're not willing to pay a premium for it. What's the point, then? I always just contact Apple and have them issue a refund check for the prorated amount remaining on the AppleCare (yes, you can do that).

Also, I'm a student so I get AppleCare for free at the moment.

Wait, what?

Hoko222
Oct 7, 2013, 10:35 AM
I believe the 3rd reply said this and everyone should say this. If you have a limited budget then perhaps not. If the $200 -$350 is worth protecting a $2500 laptop for 3 years, you wont know till 3 years passes. Perhaps you could look at what could break, for example the logic board crashes or dies, thats about an $800 repair. What about the display, say you need a new display from a deep pixel or what ever, thats about $500-700 depending on size and retina or not. My video card died a month into my 13" Macbook Pro retina and apple replaced it on the spot, well it took a day, but very quickly without any fuss. if that was outside the 12 month window, it would have been $395. You may never have an issue with any of the of the parts of your computer and may never need to use it, the Apple coverage is important for the "what it" situation. Again, its a question of is it worth it to you. The only thing you do know is, you DONT know what will happen in the future. Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

lcseds
Oct 7, 2013, 10:57 AM
Thread is over a year old so I hope the OP got their answer.
2012 MBA 13" I have had wireless card replaced (failed) and the LCD assembly replaced (vertical line). The LCD failure was outside of the initial warranty. So that more than paid for the Applecare. With what Apple charges for replacement parts, Applecare is a no brainer for portables (when purchased at a discount like from B&H). Well that's my opinion anyway.

Action
Oct 7, 2013, 11:24 AM
Yes, especially considering all the SSDs dying just after the one year warranty.

fivetoedbear
Oct 7, 2013, 11:56 AM
I've gotten AppleCare on all my laptops. I'd say about 80% of the time, it pays for itself in some repair or another, even if those repairs end up being power supplies with frayed cords.

I also think there's more peace of mind to be able to just hand a broken machine to the Genius, and say "It doesn't work, please fix it." And, I think there's more of a tendency for Apple to comp a repair if there's AppleCare, if it's a borderline case of normal wear or not, like, say, a hinge.

Protip: Even for removable batteries, schedule an appointment with a Genius. Batteries are cheaper as service parts than they are on the shelf. It never really hurts to talk to a Genius, because you never know when you'll stumble on an replacement program, a comp, or the worst is you just pay for it anyway.

octatonic
Oct 7, 2013, 12:22 PM
Wait, what?

Yep, I don't know about outside the UK but you get a 3 year warranty with a student purchase.

Edit: Have a look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103022

Jschultz
Oct 7, 2013, 12:40 PM
Here's one for you guys -

My wife's MBA has needed 2 (two!) logic board replacements in the last 4 months. Our one year of standard Apple Care is up this Saturday.

Should we rough it and just hope for the best? Or, should we plunk the money down and buy for the next two years?

Scepticalscribe
Oct 7, 2013, 02:11 PM
To the OP's original question, my response will always be yes.

Apart from the obvious, (it gives a three years peace of mind, and makes it easier to sell on for up to three years), Apple spare parts cost quite a bit of money. In fact, I use the Applecare cycle when buying computers; I always upgrade a few months before Applecare expires.

My first Apple computer was a MBP which I bought in 2008; I needed to use Applecare when both the HDD failed after two and a half years; it was replaced. My first MBA (which I bought in September 2010) needed a keyboard replacement and a Magsafe replacement; again, both were replaced without any difficulty.

Actually, I will go so far as to say that I do not expect to buy an Apple computer and not buy Applecare. I also bought Applecare for my iPad, but would not consider it for an iPod.

m98custom1212
Oct 7, 2013, 02:54 PM
To the OP's original question, my response will always be yes.

Apart from the obvious, (it gives a three years peace of mind, and makes it easier to sell on for up to three years), Apple spare parts cost quite a bit of money. In fact, I use the Applecare cycle when buying computers; I always upgrade a few months before Applecare expires.

My first Apple computer was a MBP which I bought in 2008; I needed to use Applecare when both the HDD failed after two and a half years; it was replaced. My first MBA (which I bought in September 2010) needed a keyboard replacement and a Magsafe replacement; again, both were replaced without any difficulty.

Actually, I will go so far as to say that I do not expect to buy an Apple computer and not buy Applecare. I also bought Applecare for my iPad, but would not consider it for an iPod.

But Apple products are "premium"

Superb quality much better then anything else. Why would you need a Warranty?

ABC5S
Oct 8, 2013, 11:32 AM
Yes, especially considering all the SSDs dying just after the one year warranty.

After reading about the SSD's failing about one year of after, I rather have Applecare, and not need it, than needing it, and not having it. Peace of Mind. Worth it for me. Renters insurance helps as well for Lost/Stolen ;)

RUGERMAN
Oct 8, 2013, 12:45 PM
Except you won't die if your macbook air breaks.

Why are you worried about a computer breaking? It probably won't. If it does, you'll be out, at most, 1k (you are covered for the first year, so by the time it means anything, your computer has already been devalued). It would suck yup, but not something you should need to concern yourself about. It is just not worth buying insurance for something with such a low value.

Stop worrying. You are covered against manufacturing defects already.
I agree with that but one thing I think is worth some money is the 3 yrs of phone support. If you have an Apple store near then forget it, but other wise getting help for a software problem or just something you don't understand can be invaluable. My wife had a problem with AOL a while back that had nothing to do with Apple and they walked her thru it and it took a while. I don't know that she would have gotten it fixed otherwise.

m98custom1212
Oct 8, 2013, 01:10 PM
I agree with that but one thing I think is worth some money is the 3 yrs of phone support. If you have an Apple store near then forget it, but other wise getting help for a software problem or just something you don't understand can be invaluable. My wife had a problem with AOL a while back that had nothing to do with Apple and they walked her thru it and it took a while. I don't know that she would have gotten it fixed otherwise.

Google?

3lite
Oct 9, 2013, 03:17 PM

Ahahaha this!

And your machine will be obsolete within a year! Upgrade every year! Your machine is 3 years old? Upgrade!

cedwhatev
Oct 9, 2013, 08:29 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1648128

bluewooster
Oct 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
I suppose once bitten, it would become tempting to purchase extra warranty. However, consider my scenario....

I've purchased at least one major electronic item each year since 1999 (i.e. a desktop, laptop, PDA, tablet, TV, or cellphone) - note: not one of each per year but one such item per year!

I have never had an item fail outside of the already provided warranty period and I have never purchased extended warranty. The money saved is, conservatively, $200 x 14 years or $2800. That should pay for a lot of repair work if I get burned in the future.

Admittedly, I like technology and purchase more than I should so if I were making a purchase that absolutely had to last for the next 3 years, I might be more proactive and want extended warranty. However, I'm currently using a 2010 MBA, an iPhone 5, Ipad 3, and a new Mac Mini (my purchase this year!) and no problems.

KiwiAdventure
Oct 12, 2013, 02:43 AM
My Mac Mini and MacBook Pro both blow hard drives just on three years old and my 4s was replaced twice. I had Apple care on them all so to me Apple Care is a must. I now have a 4 month old 2013 new Air and purchased Apple Care today as I got a 20% discount off the price of Apple Care.

I have found I get better prices when selling my one year iPhones when they have Apple Care included . :cool:

alphaod
Oct 12, 2013, 04:09 AM
I never buy extended warranties for my non-Apple stuff.

I always buy AppleCare for my Macs.

No justification; maybe I just value my Apple stuff more.

That said, I've had computers that never need any service while others that have needed constant service up to the point where it was deemed a lemon and replaced.

----------

But Apple products are "premium"

Superb quality much better then anything else. Why would you need a Warranty?

Luxury cars are also premium, so are name brand suitcases like Rimowa and Tumi… why do those companies need to offer warranties if they're suppose to be "premium?"

DisplacedMic
Oct 12, 2013, 09:47 AM

ha, yeah. not to mention the fact that many of the people advocating all this "future proof" business are usually buying a new computer every year or two.

m98custom1212
Oct 12, 2013, 10:25 AM
I never buy extended warranties for my non-Apple stuff.

I always buy AppleCare for my Macs.

No justification; maybe I just value my Apple stuff more.

That said, I've had computers that never need any service while others that have needed constant service up to the point where it was deemed a lemon and replaced.

----------

Luxury cars are also premium, so are name brand suitcases like Rimowa and Tumi… why do those companies need to offer warranties if they're suppose to be "premium?"

And most of those warranties are included directly from the manufacturer... Not some add on for $200 over $1200 purchase

Around 17% of the total price.

That's $5000 added to a $30000 car.. way overpriced

Mike in Kansas
Oct 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
And most of those warranties are included directly from the manufacturer... Not some add on for $200 over $1200 purchase

Around 17% of the total price.

That's $5000 added to a $30000 car.. way overpriced

It's less of a matter of the warranty cost versus the price of the object that the warranty is on; it's more about what a typical repair will cost you.

You'd be hard pressed to have Apple repair your MBA for under $200; however I have often walked out of a auto repair shop spending less than 17% of my car's cost. One repair to your MBA in year 2 or year 3 will completely wipe out the savings by not purchasing AppleCare. It's not the price that's the issue, it's the probability that you'll need it.

I have 4 Mac devices, and all 4 have (or had) Apple care. My two oldest, both 2008 iMacs, needed new SuperDrives before they turned 3, and both needed new parts with respect to the graphics and internal power cables. In that case I am currently ahead on what those repairs would have cost me.

We'll just have to see how it plays out on the MacBook Airs.

m98custom1212
Oct 12, 2013, 11:54 AM
It's less of a matter of the warranty cost versus the price of the object that the warranty is on; it's more about what a typical repair will cost you.

You'd be hard pressed to have Apple repair your MBA for under $200; however I have often walked out of a auto repair shop spending less than 17% of my car's cost. One repair to your MBA in year 2 or year 3 will completely wipe out the savings by not purchasing AppleCare. It's not the price that's the issue, it's the probability that you'll need it.

I have 4 Mac devices, and all 4 have (or had) Apple care. My two oldest, both 2008 iMacs, needed new SuperDrives before they turned 3, and both needed new parts with respect to the graphics and internal power cables. In that case I am currently ahead on what those repairs would have cost me.

We'll just have to see how it plays out on the MacBook Airs.

That's my point. I see everyone praise apple on the "how premium" their products are but should buy the warranty because something will die in it.

But, I have 3+ old acer that isn't "premium" to some apple people sold it co worker and he uses it daily working just fine and looks brand new.

Mike in Kansas
Oct 12, 2013, 12:52 PM
That's my point. I see everyone praise apple on the "how premium" their products are but should buy the warranty because something will die in it.

But, I have 3+ old acer that isn't "premium" to some apple people sold it co worker and he uses it daily working just fine and looks brand new.

Although I've had to repair each iMac once over the past 5 years, my experience with my various Dell Latitude laptops (work issued) over the years has been much worse. Displays, motherboards, wifi cards, keyboards, etc. Thank goodness my employer purchases on site care (I work from a remote office). Easily 1 repair a year.

l.a.rossmann
Oct 13, 2013, 09:01 PM
Most of the things that will break on your laptop won't be covered by Applecare, because it'll be wear & tear from age or some sort of accidental/physical damage.

Like with most insurance, I think it's best to keep the money in your pocket. If you have to spend $250 on repairs over 3 years, you can spend the $250. If you spend $300 on a warranty only to be told "that will be a $750 repair because it is not covered by applecare", that hurts.

NMF
Oct 13, 2013, 11:03 PM
Most of the things that will break on your laptop won't be covered by Applecare, because it'll be wear & tear from age or some sort of accidental/physical damage.

This... isn't true.

Y So Jelly
Oct 13, 2013, 11:19 PM

Like with most insurance, I think it's best to keep the money in your pocket. If you have to spend $250 on repairs over 3 years, you can spend the $250. If you spend $300 on a warranty only to be told "that will be a $750 repair because it is not covered by applecare", that hurts.

*Looks at sig*

Seems legit

l.a.rossmann
Oct 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
I base my post on the people I meet everyday, occasionally in tears. On top of the $250 they're paying to repair their machine, they spent $300 on insurance that did them nothing. That turns a bad day into a miserable one. It's not like my opinion will sway anyone, so if you're implying that I'm attempting to become a millionaire by getting the world over to stop buying Applecare with a forum post so they'll pay me for everything.... no.
*Looks at sig*

Seems legit

My sig links to hours of how-to footage I filmed for free on how to repair problems, from basic repairs to advanced soldering. When utilized properly, these videos allow you to avoid giving me(or any other service provider) money. These videos are free, not ad supported - partly inspired by the plethora of questions I received via PM from users of this forum on how to do those jobs after participating in threads related to those jobs.

The extended warranty you can get through many credit cards is often cheaper than Applecare. $300 is pretty pricey, for a plan that doesn't even entitle you to a discount should you accidentally damage the machine. You can spend much less and get the same coverage through your credit card. You can spend way less than $300 and even get accidental damage coverage through your credit card! Why pay $300 for a plan that does nothing for a plethora of real world, common issues?

This... isn't true.

You get a drop of water in the power button, you get quoted $750 - applecare or not.

You drop it, or keep an earbud inbetween the screen & keyboard while closing it, and crack the screen, it's $450-$750 for that $95 screen, Applecare or not.

Your headphones break off in the headphone jack, and they're quoting you $500-$1200 to replace a motherboard when all it needs is a $5 headphone jack - Applecare or not.

These all happen to real people, everyday.

Applecare never asks questions on DVD drives, hard drives, but these are things that cost $25-$75, which is far under $300. Logic boards do occasionally die 2 years into the machine WITHOUT accidental damage. The 820-2850 has tons of chipset problems, the 820-2915 runs hotter than the sun. These die more frequently than other Apple motherboards. So if you have one of those machines, Applecare does do its job. I just don't think consumers should have to spend money on an extended warranty to insure their designed-to-scorch motherboard. In these cases, Applecare isn't too bad. However, 3 years later, the board for the machine is usually $300-$450 anyway, and can be fixed for under that amount in most cases. It's not a crazy gamble I'm proposing here.

Don't get me wrong, accidental damage coverage shouldn't be free. No way. All I'm sayin', is if you paid $300 upfront for a few years of Applecare, maybe the $750 repair quote for a $14 part and 1 hour of labor could go down a bit? Maybe $200? Just out of respect for the $300 they plopped out upfront? Just because the part is $14 and requires max, an hour of labor to repair?

If you got ANY break from the genius bar on a lot of the "real" issues people encounter, I'd recommend Applecare. But you don't. A drop of water touches a $14 part on that Macbook Pro with 3 years of Applecare, you're getting bent over and sodomized as bad as you would be if you bought it on craigslist.

I can't recommend in good conscience that anyone spend $300 on Applecare when you don't even get 1% off a $700+ quote for a headphone plug stuck in the headphone jack. That problem alone comes in every couple of days.

Point being, if you're going to spend that much on insurance, you have less expensive options that offer more comprehensive coverage.