PDA

View Full Version : Why does the MacBook air have a silver bezel?

tigert07
Jun 21, 2012, 09:33 PM
Just a honest question, I love the black bezel on the macbook pros. Why is the the air different?

aeboi
Jun 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
Lacks the sheet of glass in front of the LCD panel.

klanse
Jun 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
Apple solved that problem in retina macbook. So, we might see black bezel in mbair soon.

KylePowers
Jun 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
So that it can weigh less and be thinner?

I'd prefer a black bezel too.

klanse
Jun 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
Yes, tinner, lighter and much less glare.

RMBP - "Rather than sandwich an LCD panel between a back case and a piece of glass in front, Apple used the aluminum case itself as the frame for the LCD panel and used the LCD as the front glass"

GREEN4U
Jun 21, 2012, 09:54 PM
I hate the black bezel. Silver looks so much cleaner. I'd prefer a silver keyboard as well.

roland.g
Jun 21, 2012, 10:24 PM
I like the black bezel better as well, but after a few days with the MBA it is starting to grow on me. The black does just seem like a dark extension of the screen, whereas the silver seems like something is there instead of nothing.

It also seems like the Retina got a slightly smaller bezel, but maybe not. They did take the "MacBook Pro" off the bezel on the Retina.

slipper
Jun 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
I find the silver bezel to be distracting at times, wish it had a black painted bezel instead.

KittyKatta
Jun 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
I think the bigger question is "Why is there ANY bezel on MacBooks".

If you look at PC laptops then they haven't had bezels this big since the 90's, yet with Apple then we just accept that "this is how it should be" or make up excuses for why "the air is so thin it simply couldnt be bezel free" and thats a shame because if you look at a bezel free MacBook then this looks pretty nice.

http://i51.tinypic.com/9zyc6p.jpg

GREEN4U
Jun 21, 2012, 11:36 PM
^Agreed. My Powerbook has a smaller bezel than the MBP and MBA. Lol, sad...

kylera
Jun 21, 2012, 11:37 PM
Personally, I think the bezel helps with opening and closing the Air. No smudgy fingerprints on the screen.

Nebrie
Jun 21, 2012, 11:43 PM
Jony Ive has plenty of experience with thin bezels.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/15-inch-titanium-powerbook.jpg

The problem with thin bezels on laptops is that they compromise the structural rigidity of the lid construction. Accidentally cracking a screen because you were rough opening or closing it is a common problem on laptops with thin bezels.

Additionally, Apple can use the space for the iSight camera, wifi and Bluetooth antennas, etc.

klanse
Jun 21, 2012, 11:45 PM

If you look at PC laptops then they haven't had bezels this big since the 90's, yet with Apple then we just accept that "this is how it should be" or make up excuses for why "the air is so thin it simply couldnt be bezel free" and thats a shame because if you look at a bezel free MacBook then this looks pretty nice.

Image (http://i51.tinypic.com/9zyc6p.jpg)

I think Because it is so thin and small(11" and 13") apple need more space to house the battery and cpu etc,.
Your photoshop is wrong, the screensize should be the same.

throAU
Jun 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
Less weight, thinner and distinguishes it at a glance from the "pro" line.

i suspect it may also be to do with structural integrity, using glass there may crack due to potential flex/drop if they got rid of the aluminium to make space for it.

----------

If you look at PC laptops then they haven't had bezels this big since the 90's,

Uh... every pc laptop i've ever used has a bezel (not really much smaller if at all), including the 2 HP elitebooks and recent Dell E series latitude i have on my desk right now.

What laptops have YOU been using?

KittyKatta
Jun 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
Wow. Who knew there was such a strong "Bezel Advocacy" group out here. Anyway, apologies to all for hoping Apple would give us more screen space.

Lets hope 2013 is The Year of the Bezel.
http://i46.tinypic.com/ick6is.jpg
:p

Nathan576
Jun 22, 2012, 01:10 AM
Wow. Who knew there was such a strong "Bezel Advocacy" group out here. Anyway, apologies to all for hoping Apple would give us more screen space.

Image (http://i46.tinypic.com/ick6is.jpg)

:cool:

NutsNGum
Jun 22, 2012, 01:17 AM
I like the silver bezel, I've gotten used to it on my AG MBP and I kinda like it now. Gives the machine a sort of zen-like oneness, if you like.

roland.g
Jun 22, 2012, 01:18 AM

Image (http://i46.tinypic.com/ick6is.jpg)

If they keep the resolution the same, that's one way to get a Retina screen on an MBA.

I suppose you don't like this bezel either???

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6869/file1248178.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/file1248178.jpg/)

mrsir2009
Jun 22, 2012, 01:22 AM
I think Because it is so thin and small(11" and 13") apple need more space to house the battery and cpu etc,.
Your photoshop is wrong, the screensize should be the same.

What, so they have a battery and a cpu in the screen?

klanse
Jun 22, 2012, 01:49 AM
What, so they have a battery and a cpu in the screen?

How can the top part smaller the bottom base?

mrsir2009
Jun 22, 2012, 02:48 AM

Huh?

kodeman53
Jun 22, 2012, 03:26 AM
I find the silver bezel to be distracting at times.
I do, too. Sometimes I'll be typing an email and it's like I black out and stop typing because I've been staring at the bezel. It's just hypnotizing. :rolleyes:

Badandy
Jun 22, 2012, 03:30 AM
Huh?

If you reduce the bezel by cutting off some of the width of the lid, you have to cut the width of the body, which reduces the space for battery/electronics.

Orange Furball
Jun 22, 2012, 03:33 AM

I think you are confused?

The CPU and motherboard and ram and ssd and battery etc. are kept in the bottom. That is why the bottom is larger than the top. The top is only the screen and webcam.

I think that should clear things up :thumbup:

Orange Furball
Jun 22, 2012, 03:34 AM
If you reduce the bezel by cutting off some of the width of the lid, you have to cut the width of the body, which reduces the space for battery/electronics.

Not if you increase the screen size. Same form factor with slightly larger display.

mrsir2009
Jun 22, 2012, 03:39 AM

Not really... You just replace some of the bezel with screen.

colour
Jun 22, 2012, 03:54 AM
I don't mind the fact that the bezel is not black, my issue is that it looks like the glass was just removed and a piece is missing, it's a poorly designed solution !!!! It doesn't look that good, it should be designed so the LCD panel sits flush with the bezel !!!!! I prefer matte screens over mirrors, but the design solutions are very weak for matte options on macs these days, it has been a while since the ACD's and pre uni body macbook pros.

chanyitian
Jun 22, 2012, 06:21 AM
I actually like the current look of the Macbook Air because it looks clean and stylish.

jouster
Jun 22, 2012, 07:03 AM
If they keep the resolution the same, that's one way to get a Retina screen on an MBA.

I suppose you don't like this bezel either???

Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/file1248178.jpg/)

Lol, I remember when at mockup starting floating around. I'm thankful Apple will never make anything quite as fugly and useless.

Kebabselector
Jun 22, 2012, 07:12 AM
If you look at PC laptops then they haven't had bezels this big since the 90's

Looks at my 2011 Lenovo T410 (work laptop), there's a fairly large bezel here. The 2012 X220,T420,T520 have an even larger bezel thanks to the switch to 16:9 screens.

tigert07
Jun 22, 2012, 09:31 AM

I like the idea of little to no bezel, but I think previous posters are right. It's about having somewhere to put your fingers opening/closing it. Similar to the iPad.

KittyKatta
Jun 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
I like the idea of little to no bezel, but I think previous posters are right. It's about having somewhere to put your fingers opening/closing it. Similar to the iPad.
Really? I guess I'm "holding it wrong" because I never touch the bezel when opening it. I lift from the center where its notched straightup and adjust by holding at the side or top edges.

SHIFTLife
Jun 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
Maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time, but I thought the idea was to look at the screen, not the bezel? :eek:

dcorban
Jun 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Personally, I think the bezel helps with opening and closing the Air. No smudgy fingerprints on the screen.
I greatly appreciate the aluminum bezel on the Air for this very reason. I did like the look of the black bezel on my old MacBook, but it was impossible to keep clean. There were fingerprints all along the edges just from opening the lid.

klanse
Jun 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
Not really... You just replace some of the bezel with screen.

Huh.. So 11" MBA will become 13" and 13" will become 15".

If you are talking about the black bezel on mbp, remember that mbps have a black glass bezel to sandwich the LCD in between, that's why there's no silver metal bezel Mbps. Theres no glass in MBA to keep it light and slim.Apple solved that problem in retina Mbps. Here's the link->
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/19/teardown-of-new-macbook-pros-retina-display-reveals-engineering-marvel/

Ngineer
Jun 22, 2012, 10:07 PM
Personally, the silver bezel has grown on me and I've gotten used to it. I think it looks good, although for my wish list I would like it to be thinner due to a slightly larger screen.

But anyway this thread reminded me of something I saw posted in this forum a few days ago that some of you may want to check out. This company "precious skins" appears to make a stick on overlay to change the color of the bezel. The product shots look nice, but it's hard to tell whether it would look high quality or cheap up close on a real machine.

tigert07
Jun 23, 2012, 05:58 PM
Personally, the silver bezel has grown on me and I've gotten used to it. I think it looks good, although for my wish list I would like it to be thinner due to a slightly larger screen.

But anyway this thread reminded me of something I saw posted in this forum a few days ago that some of you may want to check out. This company "precious skins" appears to make a stick on overlay to change the color of the bezel. The product shots look nice, but it's hard to tell whether it would look high quality or cheap up close on a real machine.
Has anybody had any experience With this?

mukade
Jun 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Has anybody had any experience With this?

I was going to buy one until I noticed the fugly logo in the bottom right corner.

They spoiled a decent product with a badly-designed attempt at branding.

MacBook Pro with the logo.
http://www.precioustore.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/186/image/497/

kristoffer4
Jun 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
I like the silver bezel, I've gotten used to it on my AG MBP and I kinda like it now. Gives the machine a sort of zen-like oneness, if you like.

The essence of Apples design.

animatedude
Jun 25, 2012, 06:07 PM

i have 11-ich Macbook Air and it's the best laptop i have ever owned.However,i think the MBP design with black bezel is the best laptop design of all time....so i'm hoping they offer black bezel on the Macbook Airs or combine the two lines in one laptops line in the future.

Stetrain
Jun 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
After seeing iFixit's teardown of how the Retina MBP's screen is put together, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing come to the Air someday.

The obvious reasons against them including the glass overlay in the Air are weight and thickness, but making the LCD's own top layer extend to the edge of the bezel seems to solve those.

TyroneShoes2
Jun 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
...i suspect it may also be to do with structural integrity, using glass there may crack due to potential flex/drop if they got rid of the aluminium to make space for it...Do we really need 3/4" of aluminum for structural rigidity as a bezel? I hardly think so. If you fashion a piece of aluminum shaped like angle iron (one strip at 90 degrees to the other, length-wise) and make it out of 1/8th" aluminum that is 1/16th" thick, that will have enough structural rigidity to keep even bodybuilders from being able to do much damage to it.

If you use that same technology to fashion the entire screen back (laptop lid) with edges 90 degrees to the back and a 1/8th" bezel lip 90 degrees from that, it would be more than strong enough. If there are forces at work short of throwing the thing out a window that could actually flex a laptop made this way with just a 1/8th" bezel, your laptop is facing forces much more daunting than simply what can happen if you pick it up by the lid, or from dropping it, which means you have much larger problems.

In short, there is no design parameter requiring this; nor is there any excuse why the MBA has it other than simply a piss-poor design choice.

A big thick laptop bezel says 1998. A big thick aluminum/silver/platinum bezel says 1958 Motorola B&W 17" CRT-based TV. The bezel is the one thing that really seems more like a design flaw than anything else about the MBA. It is ironically retro for being part of the much-aped leading design in its category, and not in a good way.

If I were Tim Cook, I would have visited Jon Ive even before the casket was closed, and the first thing I would have said to him is "your job depends on making it your top design priority to find a way to get rid of that ridiculous bezel".

kodeman53
Jun 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
Do we really need 3/4" of aluminum for structural rigidity as a bezel? I hardly think so. If you fashion a piece of aluminum shaped like angle iron (one strip at 90 degrees to the other, length-wise) and make it out of 1/8th" aluminum that is 1/16th" thick, that will have enough structural rigidity to keep even bodybuilders from being able to do much damage to it.

If you use that same technology to fashion the entire screen back (laptop lid) with edges 90 degrees to the back and a 1/8th" bezel lip 90 degrees from that, it would be more than strong enough. If there are forces at work short of throwing the thing out a window that could actually flex a laptop made this way with just a 1/8th" bezel, your laptop is facing forces much more daunting than simply what can happen if you pick it up by the lid, or from dropping it, which means you have much larger problems.

In short, there is no design parameter requiring this; nor is there any excuse why the MBA has it other than simply a piss-poor design choice.

A big thick laptop bezel says 1998. A big thick aluminum/silver/platinum bezel says 1958 Motorola B&W 17" CRT-based TV. The bezel is the one thing that really seems more like a design flaw than anything else about the MBA. It is ironically retro for being part of the much-aped leading design in its category, and not in a good way.

If I were Tim Cook, I would have visited Jon Ive even before the casket was closed, and the first thing I would have said to him is "your job depends on making it your top design priority to find a way to get rid of that ridiculous bezel".

Thanks for the laugh.

throAU
Jun 25, 2012, 08:01 PM

Luckily, apple is run by people with some modicum of sanity.

Barna Biro
Jun 26, 2012, 06:26 AM
I was going to buy one until I noticed the fugly logo in the bottom right corner.

They spoiled a decent product with a badly-designed attempt at branding.

MacBook Pro with the logo.
http://www.precioustore.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/186/image/497/

Exactly my thought... I've sent them an E-Mail asking if it's possible to order one without that hideous logo on the bottom-right corner. Most likely it won't be possible, but at least I'll know for sure...

Really failed branding attempt. Don't understand why certain incompetent monkeys think it's cool to stick their ugly logos everywhere. They should at least offer a logoless option too...

Barna Biro
Jun 28, 2012, 04:07 AM
Just a small update regarding the Precious black bezel ( http://www.precioustore.com/macbook-air/black-macbook-air/air-13-black.html )... They guys from Precious replied and although they do not offer a logoless version ( which is a tiny bit sad ), people can still "workaround" the issue a bit if they really want to:

Thank you for contacting Precious™ and thank you for your feedback. The P is there for branding reasons (most products on the market have their logo somewhere for recognition).
We do however understand your preference and would like to propose a solution:

The 'P' is transparent (so you would see the silver of your original frame). If you wish not to see it, you can consider covering it by applying a black label (cut out of a Mars bar wrapper) on the back side (sticky side) before applying it on your Mac, or even just going over it with a black marker (always on the back): The P is masked on the back side of the frame so it's not hard to do a clean job.

Thanks again and stay precious!

The final thingie would look like the following:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg221/scaled.php?server=221&filename=ppatch.jpg&res=landing

... of course, it's not "perfect", but it's something I can live with.

Hope it helps!

garfey
Jun 28, 2012, 04:41 AM
A "mars bar wrapper"! Love it! Blue peter is alive and well!

That means if I got the purple or green I could use quality street wrappers to change the colour of the P too.

Barna Biro
Jun 28, 2012, 04:46 AM
A "mars bar wrapper"! Love it! Blue peter is alive and well!

That means if I got the purple or green I could use quality street wrappers to change the colour of the P too.

Exactly! :D You can color it in whatever way you want :D

kell1831
Jul 3, 2012, 07:37 PM
Just a small update regarding the Precious black bezel ... They guys from Precious replied and although they do not offer a logoless version ( which is a tiny bit sad ), people can still "workaround" the issue a bit if they really want to:

The final thingie would look like the following:

... of course, it's not "perfect", but it's something I can live with.

Hope it helps!

This is great -- exactly what I'm looking for!!! One question: Does the infrared sensor to the left of the iSight still work with the skin on??? (The sensor used to automatically recognize lower light settings, etc.) If the skin covers it up, I'd be afraid that screen might not automatically adjust itself as Apple designed.

jena55
Jul 3, 2012, 07:46 PM
I used to think I couldn't stand the silver bezel. However, now that I have a macbook air... it doesn't bother me at all! I actually kind of like it because it does not reflect anything and i just forget it's there. I also have been working on a macbook pro... I thought I would like the black bezel better, but that's actually not the case. The black bezel is very prone to glare and can get annoying.

mukade
Jul 3, 2012, 10:01 PM
I used to think I couldn't stand the silver bezel. However, now that I have a macbook air... it doesn't bother me at all! I actually kind of like it because it does not reflect anything and i just forget it's there. I also have been working on a macbook pro... I thought I would like the black bezel better, but that's actually not the case. The black bezel is very prone to glare and can get annoying.

I'm with you.

I liked the Pro's bezel, but now that I am using an Air it doesn't bother me. I hated the white iPad, and I felt the same about the original Kindle. The light border was very distracting when reading or watching videos. I thought it would be the same with the Air's Bezel, but it doesn't bother me at all. I like the all-over metallic look.

I had a black Speck Satin cover on my old Pro and most of the aluminum wasn't visible. Now I have a clear Speck case, iVisor screen protector and the Aluminium look is out for all to see.

Barna Biro
Jul 4, 2012, 02:08 AM
This is great -- exactly what I'm looking for!!! One question: Does the infrared sensor to the left of the iSight still work with the skin on??? (The sensor used to automatically recognize lower light settings, etc.) If the skin covers it up, I'd be afraid that screen might not automatically adjust itself as Apple designed.

Unfortunately I can't yet answer this question because I'm still waiting for my 2012 MBA 13" to arrive... I did receive the skin yesterday though and I have to say that it's looking really great ( can hardly wait to apply it ).

I am not sure which "left sensor" are you referring too... The skin has 2 holes cut, a bigger one for the camera and a smaller one for the led to the right of the camera ( I am guessing this double acts as a sensor ) when facing the notebook screen head on :

http://images.apple.com/macbookair/images/design_facetime.jpg

In case that's indeed the sensor in question, then yes, it has a whole for that, but I can't yet say how well everything aligns up. Will upload 1-2 photos ( today or tomorrow at latest ) of the skin as it is now and will also come back with some photos later once I get the MBA and apply the skin onto it.

Cheers! :)

@jena55: It's not that "I can't live with the silver bezel", I just prefer a black bezel over the silver one... :) It would have been nice if Apple had offered both options... I wouldn't mind paying additional for a proper black bezel, but since they don't do that, then we're left to try out other solutions that hopefully produce "good enough results"...

robjmurphy
Jul 8, 2012, 02:28 AM
My Precious frame & MBA turned up last week. I applied the frame over the w/e & TBH am still not sure whether to remove it or not. It looks great, although maybe a fraction of a millimetre out each side leaving the barest glimmer of silver. The hole for the FaceTime HD camera LED looks a bit odd, especially as it is off centre & there is no hole for the sensor so the auto backlighting keyboard & LCD do not adjust :(
But all in all it does look fab, far better than I'd hoped. I'm just leaning towards the purist approach & reverting to the MBA as intended. What do you think?
All/any comments welcome.
Thanks,
Rob

tom vilsack
Jul 8, 2012, 03:54 AM
;-)

http://www.duckbrand.com/~/media/Duck%20Product%20Catalog/Duck%20Tapes/Color%20Duck%20Tape/black-duct-tape.ashx

S3R6i0
Oct 25, 2013, 09:23 PM

As a Macbook owner myself, it's not that type of computer. You want uncompromising practicality, go buy a cheap, imported PC. You want a computer that's both stylish and a breeze to use, you buy a mac.

Dekard
Oct 28, 2013, 09:26 AM
Just got one of the bezel covers, they sell in the US now at http://www.precioustore.us/ and no longer sell with the 'logo' unless by request.

ZBoater
Oct 28, 2013, 09:35 AM
Just ordered a black one. Said they are backordered.

majkom
Oct 28, 2013, 10:11 AM
My Precious frame & MBA turned up last week. I applied the frame over the w/e & TBH am still not sure whether to remove it or not. It looks great, although maybe a fraction of a millimetre out each side leaving the barest glimmer of silver. The hole for the FaceTime HD camera LED looks a bit odd, especially as it is off centre & there is no hole for the sensor so the auto backlighting keyboard & LCD do not adjust :(
But all in all it does look fab, far better than I'd hoped. I'm just leaning towards the purist approach & reverting to the MBA as intended. What do you think?
All/any comments welcome.
Thanks,
Rob

boy, that is really ugly

wmitch
Oct 28, 2013, 10:39 AM
I just came from the Black Macbook to the MBA and I really like the Silver Bezel but then again, anything is better than the cracked plastic frame i had.

Dekard
Oct 28, 2013, 11:13 AM
boy, that is really ugly

That's why it's an opinion. For looking at a screen all day I'd rather have a black border for movies, surfing the web, etc then a reflective silver surface.

But again that's an opinion. :)

majkom
Oct 28, 2013, 11:22 AM
That's why it's an opinion. For looking at a screen all day I'd rather have a black border for movies, surfing the web, etc then a reflective silver surface.

But again that's an opinion. :)

I don't see my 13icnh airs bezel reflective... it is brushed aluminium, for god sake

Tike1994
Oct 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
I had a MacBook Pro and in 2011 I decided to switch to the Air for the portability and SSD. I thought one of the biggest drawbacks would be the look of the silver bezel vs. the all black look of the MacBook Pro.

Now that I have it, I love the silver bezel because you don't get thumbprints on the screen when you open it. I hate trying to clean Apple laptop screens, and I was constantly cleaning thumbprints off the MacBook Pro (yes, I'm a little OCD), but the Air's screen stays much cleaner.

So condider this a vote to keep the bezel just the way it is.

Aylan
Oct 28, 2013, 12:14 PM
I always thought the bezel was there so that they can "thin out" the panel and claim how "unbelievably" thin it is.

Dekard
Oct 28, 2013, 12:33 PM
I don't see my 13icnh airs bezel reflective... it is brushed aluminium, for god sake

sorry I should rephrase.. 'bright' not reflective, it's not bad at most angles but can be distracting for some people that are not used to a 3/4 inch bezel that is brushed aluminum. I can't believe so many people get upset about someone else's opinion differing from their own.. Oh yeah, I forgot it's the internet.

majkom
Oct 28, 2013, 01:36 PM
sorry I should rephrase.. 'bright' not reflective, it's not bad at most angles but can be distracting for some people that are not used to a 3/4 inch bezel that is brushed aluminum. I can't believe so many people get upset about someone else's opinion differing from their own.. Oh yeah, I forgot it's the internet.

no one here is upset... i don't like airs bezel in 11incher case, too big for small screen, but 13incher seems quite ok for me... however in 13inch retina mbpr looks much better, greatest laptop design so far

ZBoater
Oct 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
boy, that is really ugly

:confused:

Really? Do you don't like the MBP look eh?

ZBoater
Dec 2, 2013, 06:23 PM
boy, that is really ugly

Got mine. Good quality product. I am just not feeling the black bezel. Guess I'm used to the sliver bezel. I'll leave it on for a day or two to see if it grows on me...

iLuvMyMacToo
Dec 3, 2013, 01:49 PM
I've always had MBPs so when I was deciding on a MBA the one thing that bugged me was the silver bezel and I wondered how it would compare with day to day use to a MBP. Now I've actually forgotten all about it and sitting here looking at my MBA I kind of like how the entire interior from screen to keyboard appears to look as though it's one piece, a consistent design. Surprisingly the silver bezel isn't something I noticed once I started using my MBA.