Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
TORONTO -- The NHL lockout that canceled last season came to an end Friday when the owners of the league's 30 teams unanimously approved a labor deal that clears the way for play to resume in the fall.

"Today our board of governors gave it's unanimous approval to a collective bargaining agreement that signals a new era for our league," commissioner Gary Bettman said at a news conference. "An era of economic stability for our franchises, an era of heightened competitive balance for our players, an era of unparalleled excitement and entertainment for our fans."

It also begins the era of the salary cap -- the very thing the union vowed not to accept when the lockout began. But a majority of players supported the six-year agreement in balloting Thursday, with 464 of 532 (87 percent) voting in favor.

Under the new deal, players are guaranteed to receive 54 percent of league-wide revenues - projected to be between $1.7 billion and $1.8 billion next season. A portion of every player's salary will be held in escrow if it is determined that revenues are smaller, resulting in players receiving more than 54 percent.

Approval by the league's board governors Friday brings labor peace at last to the league, which has already lost one season, and turns the focus back to the ice.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
never much cared for hockey (I am from Texas), but I guess this is welcome news to those fans who have been waiting some time for its return...

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
It took the whole season to reach an agreement. I hope this doesn't happen to the NBA.

Which part of CT are you both from?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
How many other Billion Dollar companies in the world can close their doors for 300+ days and still be in business at the end of the day?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
JesseJames said:
Well I'll be.
I grew up in Manchester.
Sorry to say I don't miss it though. :D ;)
Not missing much, since the mall went up this town went down. :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
yellow said:
Go Whale! (says the Bruins fan who is currently 20 minutes from the Hurricanes arena. ) :)
Thats not even funny, well it is a little since I didn't watch the Whalers play much.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Somehow I don't think it takes much to confuse the fans down there. :D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
MacNut said:
The new kid goes to Pittsburgh. :p

Indeed he does. I like the Lemieux-Recchi tandem providing leadership to a young crop of stars like Malone, Fleury, Malkin and Crosby, not to mention decent players like Morozov, Koltsov, Orpik, Rosival, et. al. That and who knows what the new free agent structure will bring us.

Craig Patrick really, and i mean REALLY knew what he was doing a few years back when he "broke down" the team, selling off Lang, Kovalev, Jagr, Straka, et. al.

Now with a great young nucleus and new salary cap structure, I say the Pens might be have a chance to drink from the cup with Mario in uniform one last time. Exciting time to be a Pens fan... and we have the best GM in the league, hands down.

Santeh

macrumors member
May 7, 2005
Re: Hooray for the return of hockey!

Well for a long time L.A. Kings fan, who has lived in Tampa for the last 8 years, I am very happy to have hockey back! I must say that I rather enjoyed watching the draft selection drawing today and even found myself getting excited/nervous during it! :) I am looking forward to not only the next 9 days of " house righting" for the general managers, but also for both the draft proper and the upcoming free agency.

As for hockey in the south I can at least say that it is alive and well in Tampa! The Lightning fans are great, and I have found them to be quite knowledgeable! In fact my neighbor and I have been routinely talking hockey and he and his wife display Lightning, and even just NHL, stickers on their cars. :D While the Kings have been and will remain my favorite team, I do enjoy Lightning games and routing for Tampa (except when playing the Kings, of course), and my wife and I had a blast during the last playoffs. In fact we had the good fortune of attending the first game of the Eastern Conference finals between the Lightning and the Flyers and it was incredible. I think my Thai wife was the loudest person in the stands! :eek: :D It was great and wonderful to see her have so much fun!

So glad the game is coming back!

Always...

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
I cant wait til the NHL starts back up again.

I think I will watch it even more now that I havent been able to watch any NHL games in so long.

Hopefully ticket prices will go down to bring in some fans, Id like to go to some more games this season.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
NHL is back? Yawn...

orangutan_yawn.jpg

Who cares?

:D

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I am so thankful that hockey will be back next season. I dono how I lived so long without it! And the canucks got 10th spot in the lottery :D , much better than I expected.

I'm happy that Crosby is going to the Penguins instead of Anaheim. I think it would suck for him to have to play with the ducks. Anyways, GO CAAANUCKS! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.