PDA

View Full Version : Steam and MacBook Air

Scuba629
Jun 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
How many run steam on their MacBook airs? And if u do is it only on Mac or windows too?

PhazonUK
Jun 22, 2012, 07:47 AM
I run it both on Windows and OSX.

Use Windows to play large games like Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Borderlands, and Dawn Of War. It even runs Sonic Generations (just about).

On OSX I only really install smaller games like Limbo, Plants v Zombies, and Super Meat Boy.

Scuba629
Jun 22, 2012, 07:49 AM
Does it work well as a vm or parallels instance? Or should I install bootcamp?

PhazonUK
Jun 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
I've never tried gaming using VMware, always had Boot Camp and it's great.

Scuba629
Jun 22, 2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for your help. Guess I'll be formatting my Mac tonight. Like a clean machine and now I have a window vm. Back to bootcamp I go!

mattpreston11
Jun 22, 2012, 08:09 AM
Portal 2 runs great on my 11'' 2012 through Lion + Steam.

mikeytrend
Jun 22, 2012, 08:13 AM
Does it work well as a vm or parallels instance? Or should I install bootcamp?

If you want to use it for games, you MUST go the boot camp route. You can still use the partition in a VM as well, but VMs aren't given full access to your video card so it wouldn't perform nearly as well.

Also, although Steam is available for both PC and Mac, I would definitely say the PC version is much better.

Scuba629
Jun 22, 2012, 08:27 AM
If you want to use it for games, you MUST go the boot camp route. You can still use the partition in a VM as well, but VMs aren't given full access to your video card so it wouldn't perform nearly as well.

Also, although Steam is available for both PC and Mac, I would definitely say the PC version is much better.

Oh great! I didn't know u could use it as a VM as well! This is great news! Need to get home to format.

BornAgainMac
Jun 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
With VM with older games, I have to use VM because Windows 7 won't play a few of my games even with compatibility settings like Star Trek Academy, Star Trek Armada. I did play Crysis on a VM on my iMac 2010 was it played better than a PC I had in 2009. I get my Macbook Air 2012 today and will see what VM does for me with gaming. I know that Dead Island won't work in VM when I run Windows 7 that that might be a DirectX 11 issue.

RocketRed
Jun 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
i run steam on mac. I find myself playing L4D2 all the time!

On VMWare Fusion I don't use steam.

Scuba629
Jun 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
I don't have a steam account yet but I'm told it's the thing to have. So im making one when I get home.

Don't know if I will play many games on windows but its always nice to have the option.