PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air's Inferior Display Disappointing

Amasashi
Jun 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
In all the extensive reviews I've read about the MacBook Air, the only thing they've ever mentioned about the display was that its resolution was higher than the 13" Pro's and text is crisper, and so deem the Air's display to be superior to the Pro's.

None of them, however, even touch on the fact that the Air's color gamut is quite lacking when compared to the Pro's. Colors seem white and blown out with noticeable loss in fine detail, and it's not something that brightness or viewing angle can fix either.

Is it just me and my eyes, or do other people notice this problem as well? If so, how do you guys deal with it? Or is it just not a big deal and something you get used to?

I love the Air so much and totally want to get a 2012 MBA, but the display is really holding me back. Any input will be appreciated!

aristobrat
Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 AM
In all the extensive reviews I've read about the MacBook Air, the only thing they've ever mentioned about the display was that its resolution was higher than the 13" Pro's and text is crisper, and so deem the Air's display to be superior to the Pro's.
AnandTech's review (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/7) of the 2011 Air = 'The Display: Better than Most, Not as Good as the Pro'

Was the display changed for the 12s? Also with the 11s, I thought there was some variance between the two different manufacturer panels. Samsung, and I forget who the other manufacturer was.

Geekbabe
Jun 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
I was very happy with the Air's display... till I got an iPad 3. Truly, for a mobile device the screen on the Air isn't bad but a retina screen does blow it away.

throAU
Jun 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Is it just me and my eyes, or do other people notice this problem as well? If so, how do you guys deal with it?

I dealt with it by getting a macbook pro, the air is the GFs :D

You get what you pay for. While the Air is still well made by PC standards, the screen was built down to a fairly cheap system price.

To meet that price point, trade offs were made. The air's display is great compared to most laptops I've used. The Pro's is just better.

palpatine
Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
It is what it is. I used to code on a timex sinclair 1000 with a decrepit 9" TV when I was a kid. I think I can manage with the Air :)

The retina display on the iPad is wonderful, and I love reading on it, but looking at the Air isn't causing me physical distress or anything. It will come along when Apple figures it out.

majordude
What I keep seeing on here time and time again is people expecting all Mac products to be "professional grade." All it does is make those people look ignorant.

It's like walking into Sears and complaining that the Craftsman tools hurt your hands after using them all day. You think the problem is with THEM. The problem is YOU. Professionals know about, and pay more for, Snap-On and MAC.

The Air is priced so that everyone can afford it. The MacBook Pros (first, they are called "Pros") cost more, do more and aren't for everyone. To complain that they have different specs is silly. OF COURSE THEY DO!

jmoore5196
I think the choice is actually pretty stark: Buy a Retina MBP and lug around a 4.5lb laptop, or buy a display to compensate for the lack of retina display on the MBA.

The MBA is perfect for me when traveling. Problem is I'm hampered by the display - both size and resolution - when I'm hard down. The situation is exacerbated by the new iPad and the MBP-R showing us how good displays can be.

I can live with the MBA as my only machine for work and travel, as long as I have a Thunderbolt display at home. I frankly don't want to lug around a still-too-heavy MBP-R ... if I had, I'd have uprooted by 15" MBP and been happy enough with it that I'd never have considered the Air.

jimboutilier
Jun 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Its all relative. The AIRs screen is better than the old MB's but perhaps not as good as some MBP's. Its among the best of anything at its price point. Other than color accuracy (an issue thats been widely discussed), its a very, very good screen most people have no trouble using all day long.

If color accuracy is important you you it might not be a great choice and any of the PROs would likely be much better in that respect. If you want something small and light with a screen with great color fidelity you will have to do some digging (maybe Sony Vaio Z series).

KPOM
Jun 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
Actually, a lot of the 2011 reviews did note that the Pro did have a higher color gamut, while the Air had a better resolution. The Air is intended as a consumer-grade notebook. They now have the Retina MacBook Pro for those who desire the best screens.

It makes the biggest difference for photo editing. I think at this point, the best option is to determine your priorities. If you need the best screen, stick with the Pro, or consider the Retina MacBook Pro. If you need portability, get used to the Air's screen, as I don't see Apple changing it. They might introduce a Retina 13" Pro at some point, but I don't see Retina coming to the Air for at least 2 years, and even then it might not have the same color gamut.

Anyway, there are two different LCD manufacturers who supply MacBook Air screens. Samsung is slightly higher quality, but LG is more common. The differences are relatively small, though. I suspect that Apple will be shifting more and more to LG (they make the Retina MacBook Pro display) and possibly Sharp as their battles with Samsung intensify.

While it won't solve the color gamut issues, a hardware calibration can improve the saturation of the MacBook Air screen. Consider a Spyder3Pro or Spyder4Pro.

comatose81
Jun 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
This is just called "good business". Apple has to keep things in their bag of tricks to keep the money flowing in. Each year, they release small upgrades to convince people to upgrade/purchase. Next year may add the retina display. The year after that will add quad core. And so on...

dcorban
Jun 22, 2012, 01:03 PM
None of them, however, even touch on the fact that the Air's color gamut is quite lacking when compared to the Pro's. Colors seem white and blown out with noticeable loss in fine detail, and it's not something that brightness or viewing angle can fix either.
This sounds like an LG panel. I don't see this with my Samsung. Your description fits my 2008 MacBook, but definitely not my 2012 Air.

maplingstorie
Jun 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
This sounds like an LG panel. I don't see this with my Samsung. Your description fits my 2008 MacBook, but definitely not my 2012 Air.
I agree. I had the LG for my 2011 and immediately returned. Thank goodness this year's 2012 I got the Samsung screen and loving it! The colours are so amazing, it hurts my eyes!

----------

Is it just me and my eyes, or do other people notice this problem as well? If so, how do you guys deal with it? Or is it just not a big deal and something you get used to?

I love the Air so much and totally want to get a 2012 MBA, but the display is really holding me back. Any input will be appreciated!
You've got the LG screen. that's why.

ZBoater
Jun 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the color gamut is something that keeps me up at night sweating bullets... :rolleyes:

tigres
Jun 22, 2012, 04:12 PM
I have no issues with the MBA display. It's my third MBA and they just keep making them better.

urkel
Jun 22, 2012, 04:53 PM
What I keep seeing on here time and time again is people expecting all Mac products to be "professional grade." All it does is make those people look ignorant.
Well that's not fair at all. If an uninformed consumer ever asks an Apple Devotee about why Macs cost more then the answer is ALWAYS "because it's a premium computer made with superior parts" (and followed by a snotty analogy about BMWs and Hondas). So why should someone assuming superior quality be considered "ignorant" when superior quality has been the unpaid-Apple salesmans tag line For decades?

The Air is priced so that everyone can afford it. The MacBook Pros (first, they are called "Pros") cost more, do more and aren't for everyone. To complain that they have different specs is silly. OF COURSE THEY DO!
Airs are NOT priced so "everyone can afford it". Base model is $1000 which only has 64GB storage which is ridiculous to non-Mac users, students or light computer users considering that in their world computers start at $350 with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDDs. The thing that makes it "worth it" is... (wait for it)... Professional Grade Hardware. SSD, a better processor and faster memory are benefits we recognize which is why we gladly buy our Macs, but for someone to not fully understand that the screen may not be that great is completely understandable.

I use my Air for photo work on the road because the hardware Is just the right size. But when I get home I need to do some heavy color correction that I never had to do on my other MacBooks. That's not a slam because I LOVE my Air, that's simply learning and accepting where Apple skimped on quality.

KPOM
Jun 22, 2012, 05:00 PM
Well that's not fair at all. If an uninformed consumer ever asks an Apple Devotee about why Macs cost more then the answer is ALWAYS "because it's a premium computer made with superior parts" (and followed by a snotty analogy about BMWs and Hondas). So why should someone assuming superior quality be considered "ignorant" when superior quality has been the unpaid-Apple salesmans tag line For decades?

I use my Air for photo work on the road because the hardware Is just the right size. But when I get home I need to do some heavy color correction that I never had to do on my other MacBooks. That's not a slam because I LOVE my Air, that's simply learning and accepting where Apple skimped on quality.

Compared to other notebooks, the Airs have pretty decent screens. That's changing a bit now that ASUS and a few others are starting to get serious with Ultrabooks, but it is still pretty common for even 13" notebooks to have 1366x768 displays with low color gamut.

Adamb10
Jun 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
I have a 15" MBP and a 13" air (with the LG screen) and after reading how bad the screen is I got worried but when the air arrived, I don't really notice a big difference in colors or screen quality. Yeah the MBP screen may be better but I didnt really notice it.

mattopotamus
Jun 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
I have a 15" MBP and a 13" air (with the LG screen) and after reading how bad the screen is I got worried but when the air arrived, I don't really notice a big difference in colors or screen quality. Yeah the MBP screen may be better but I didnt really notice it.

i honestly don't think it is as bad as last year...i experienced that. A simple color profile makes all of the difference.

masterjedi73
Jun 22, 2012, 07:05 PM
I have a 2012 11" with an LG display. I haven't seen a Samsung, but I updated the color profile and definitely see the difference. It looks like a good screen to me, though.

LeGacY X
Jun 22, 2012, 07:51 PM
While the colors may not be as good as my macbook pro, the higher pixel density does make for a pretty good viewing experience.

Geekbabe
Jun 22, 2012, 08:36 PM

It's like walking into Sears and complaining that the Craftsman tools hurt your hands after using them all day. You think the problem is with THEM. The problem is YOU. Professionals know about, and pay more for, Snap-On and MAC.

At the time I received my Air there was no retina screen to be had on any Mac. I did not say that I expected my Air to be of a "Professional" grade, what I did say is that after using the iPad 3 I find it's screen to be of a higher quality.

I don't hate my Air but am now in the position of having to decide if I should sacrifice the slim form factor & upgrade to a retina pro or sit and wait, in hopes that Apple can work some magic & get a retina screen onto an Air in the future. Oh & I certainly wouldn't expect such a feat of engineering to come cheaply.

I would like all of my devices to be truly light, mobile & to have amazing screens. An iPhone, an iPad & a MBA, all with Retina, uniform, consistant viewing quality across all my devices. Why is wanting that "ignorant"?

Hichisky
Jun 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Someone needs to get some specs on the different displays Apple is putting into the Air. It seems some say that there is not a large difference, and others say there is.

If we can get some people with a colorimeter to measure the color gamut, that would be a start in comparing the panels. I measured my AUO display (11" MBA) with a Spyder 4 to have 70% of sRGB. While it is not great, It is not terrible either.

I would like to know where the LG and Samsung stand.

torana355
Jun 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
Like others have said the Samsung display is great, the LG, not so much. You can fix the LG's color issue with a calibration. I have the Samsung display in my 2011 13" MBA and it is great except for the average viewing angles.

chanyitian
Jun 23, 2012, 12:59 AM
AnandTech's review (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/7) of the 2011 Air = 'The Display: Better than Most, Not as Good as the Pro'

Was the display changed for the 12s? Also with the 11s, I thought there was some variance between the two different manufacturer panels. Samsung, and I forget who the other manufacturer was.

The other manufacturer is LG. People say that Samsung's panel is better due to contrast and image sharpness.

----------

Airs are NOT priced so "everyone can afford it". Base model is $1000 which only has 64GB storage which is ridiculous to non-Mac users, students or light computer users considering that in their world computers start at $350 with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDDs. The thing that makes it "worth it" is... (wait for it)... Professional Grade Hardware. SSD, a better processor and faster memory are benefits we recognize which is why we gladly buy our Macs, but for someone to not fully understand that the screen may not be that great is completely understandable.

I agree. Apple products are supposed to be = superior quality. It is understandable that Apple users have high expectations. Based on my experience, Macbook Airs have great build quality and I will continue to expect products of good quality from Apple. You mentioned that you use the Air for photo work, do you think it can handle the workload?

mitty
Jun 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
The display on my MBA is definitely worlds apart from my old 13" 2009 MBP. Apart from the higher resolution, it's a completely different experience. It's taking some getting used to, but I like it.

Though I had the MBP for 3 years, somehow I have a feeling that if a retina version comes along, I won't have the MBA for that long. And hopefully by then 8GB of RAM will be standard so I don't have to wait a week for a BTO :)

KohPhiPhi
Jun 23, 2012, 04:53 AM
For me, resolution > color gamut. I simply cannot work on a Jurassic 1280x800 resolution (or 1360x768), which is why I went for the MBA 13" over the MBP 13".

NutsNGum
Jun 23, 2012, 05:20 AM
I agree. I had the LG for my 2011 and immediately returned. Thank goodness this year's 2012 I got the Samsung screen and loving it! The colours are so amazing, it hurts my eyes!

Did you go for the 11" or 13"?

revelated
Jun 23, 2012, 07:55 AM

Once, the Air was $1800 if my memory serves me. Guess what? That Air had a screen comparable to the Pro and replaceable components.

If Apple released such an Air these days with the new processor and chassis (just slightly thicker), I'd be all over it.

ranmyaku
Jun 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm new to mac but how do you check the maker of the sad and the screen?

Sounds Good
Jun 23, 2012, 07:41 PM
I'm new to mac but how do you check the maker of the sad and the screen?
Don't you mean the sad screen? ;)

racer1441
Jun 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
I don't think you are far off. I sold all my Macbook Airs after one evening with the new retina macbook pro.

AlanShutko
Jun 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
Once, the Air was $1800 if my memory serves me. Guess what? That Air had a screen comparable to the Pro and replaceable components.

It did have a kind-of replaceable PATA drive. It also had Intel GMA integrated graphics and a heat distribution system that would turn off a core if you started running it hard. I had one.

Frankly, I didn't notice much of a difference between the Rev A and the 2009 MBA I had, or the 2012 I have now. But I much prefer the performance and battery live in this one.

Nathan576
Jun 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
I must have got lucky, my colors are fine. Or maybe my 2 year old sony vaio had such a bad screen this looks good.

maplingstorie
Jun 24, 2012, 04:34 AM
Did you go for the 11" or 13"?13". the 11" also has LG

LMarkoya
Jun 13, 2013, 01:28 PM
YEa, extra battery life is nice, but it wasn't really what air owners want most....retina was expected, not a nice to have, and touchscreen would have brought the air up to what PC ultrabooks are doing....seems like everyone knows that computing is headed towards tablets, except apple, who could so easily capture the whole enchilada with a combo iPad MBA.
again, 9 hr battery life is nice, ut when the rest of the computer is falling behind in technology...it just doesn't make it

lshirase
Jun 13, 2013, 01:39 PM
YEa, extra battery life is nice, but it wasn't really what air owners want most....retina was expected, not a nice to have, and touchscreen would have brought the air up to what PC ultrabooks are doing....seems like everyone knows that computing is headed towards tablets, except apple, who could so easily capture the whole enchilada with a combo iPad MBA.
again, 9 hr battery life is nice, ut when the rest of the computer is falling behind in technology...it just doesn't make it

Is this a joke? or are you delusional?

Mobility and battery life are the two most important things for MBA users. You want a retina display? go buy a rMBP. The 2013 MBA is equipped with the latest processor and wifi technology. It also boasts a huge improvement in SSD speed and battery life.

gpat
Jun 13, 2013, 01:41 PM

Are you on drugs? Ultraportable notebook users which don't like godly battery power? Please.
A Retina MBA in 2013 is a compromised machine. Like the laggy rMBP 13" from last year. Give them a year or two and they will do it. For now, Retina Display = more resources needed = heavier computers with lesser battery life.
I'm happy that they acknowledged the limits of ULV 2013 chips and just released a good, all-around machine, without overdoing it like they did with rMBP 13" 2012. The Air is the mainstream Macbook. It has to be balanced, without blatant flaws which can lead to disappointment, cheap enough to sell in high volumes and doesn't have to cannibalize the rest of the product line.

kis
Jun 13, 2013, 02:41 PM
Are you on drugs? Ultraportable notebook users which don't like godly battery power? Please.
A Retina MBA in 2013 is a compromised machine. Like the laggy rMBP 13" from last year. Give them a year or two and they will do it. For now, Retina Display = more resources needed = heavier computers with lesser battery life.
I'm happy that they acknowledged the limits of ULV 2013 chips and just released a good, all-around machine, without overdoing it like they did with rMBP 13" 2012. The Air is the mainstream Macbook. It has to be balanced, without blatant flaws which can lead to disappointment, cheap enough to sell in high volumes and doesn't have to cannibalize the rest of the product line.

I couldn't agree more - the MBA is a workhorse type of machine. It just performs. I'm not really sure why they even released the rMBP 13" - Apple knows that it's too slow and below their standards. I'm sure they'll release a much improved version later this year, but for now, the MBA is definitely the better choice for most people who need sub-2kg notebooks.

ApplNat
Jun 13, 2013, 02:47 PM
I went and played with the newest Airs @ the fruit stand during lunch. Wow these airs are fast and spiffy! I thought the screens looked fine. No, they're not retina, but they look nice to me (and I'm on an old Wintel laptop so .... ).

tdhurst
Jun 13, 2013, 03:03 PM

Exactly. I knew what I was getting into when I bought my 2012 11" MBA, so I bought a cheap widescreen Dell monitor to use when I'm home.

Would I LIKE a better display on my laptop? Sure, but isn't weight and price more of an issue for an ultraportable computer than color correctness or a bunch of other stuff no one but designers should care about?

----------

Here's what I bet most people in something like an MBA:

Light weight.
Great battery life.
Ability to run a full OS.

MacBird
Jun 13, 2013, 03:06 PM
I find it very disappointing that Apple does not use IPS displays in the new MBA. I am puzzled that they still use TN displays in 2013 and would rather pay a little more.

Calibrating the 2012 MBA helped somewhat but I am not going to buy the 2013 model with TN display but I am glad that they don't use retina displays since this would have killed battery life and they would run much warmer.

Woyzeck
Jun 13, 2013, 03:14 PM
What really sucks is the big quality spread between MBAs of the same type, depending on the panel's manufacturer. I mean c'mon Apple, we all pay the same for these, why not give us the same quality ?

Isiss
Jun 13, 2013, 03:36 PM
Hey I'm thinking about getting a 2013 MBA, but I watch a lot of HD films and series' so wondering if they will look on point?

henryonapple
Jun 13, 2013, 03:42 PM
the display looks fine to me

Scott6666
Jun 13, 2013, 04:19 PM
How can you tell which display manufacturer you have. I don't see anything in the system report.

teeps18
Jun 14, 2013, 02:13 AM
How can you tell which display manufacturer you have. I don't see anything in the system report.

Open up the Terminal and copy and paste this - ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

I've just purchased a new 2013 model, with 512SSD, 8GB, i7 in the UK and received the following response - LSN133BT01A02

sparkie7
Jun 14, 2013, 02:33 AM
Open up the Terminal and copy and paste this - ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

I've just purchased a new 2013 model, with 512SSD, 8GB, i7 in the UK and received the following response - LSN133BT01A02

so whos the manuf? sam or LG, or?

Robster3
Jun 14, 2013, 04:28 AM
When you go in store and see a 13" retina and a 13" air side by side its got me beat how anyone could walk out with a air. Unless you forgot your glasses?

kaellar
Jun 14, 2013, 04:33 AM
I find it very disappointing that Apple does not use IPS displays in the new MBA. I am puzzled that they still use TN displays in 2013 and would rather pay a little more.

My thoughts exactly. I would 100% buy an MBA with sRGB IPS with the same resolution (1440x900 for 13") for the same price as before rather than the 100$ less MBA with several-years-old TN display model.

sparkie7
Jun 14, 2013, 05:20 AM
When you go in store and see a 13" retina and a 13" air side by side its got me beat how anyone could walk out with a air. Unless you forgot your glasses?

the retina has that POS glass over it. so i prefer the MBA screen by a long shot

kaellar
Jun 14, 2013, 05:26 AM
the retina has that POS glass over it. so i prefer the MBA screen by a long shot
rMBP's also have AR-coating that I believe MBA doesn't have. For my personal taste, retina display is better by a lot. at any field.

torana355
Jun 14, 2013, 05:31 AM
The display is not the best around but it does the job for me, my new 27" iMac screen is not that much better tbh.

sparkie7
Jun 14, 2013, 05:37 AM
rMBP's also have AR-coating that I believe MBA doesn't have. For my personal taste, retina display is better by a lot. at any field.

that's b/c it hsa a piece of glass in front reflecting your image like a mirror LOL

another reason the MBA is lighter, classier and better.

----------

The display is not the best around but it does the job for me, my new 27" iMac screen is not that much better tbh.

I have one too and its total *****. bring back AG displays I say!

B...
Jun 14, 2013, 10:09 AM
that's b/c it hsa a piece of glass in front reflecting your image like a mirror LOL

----------

No, the rMBPs do not have a layer of glass over the screens. That's the cMBP you're thinking of.

Robster3
Jun 15, 2013, 12:06 AM

Agree, yes 27" iMac looks bad compared to MBPr i have both.

majkom
Jun 15, 2013, 01:52 AM
I really love apples products, but that "always compromise" factor is killing me - new air is nearly perfect machine, except its display... If apple used ips tech, that would be awesome machine, but TN?;( (i dont think air needs retina resolution, it just needs better display technology - ips wont kill its battery life, weight advantage, it will just hurt apples margin little bit;(

Scott6666
Jun 15, 2013, 10:13 AM

My 2011 MBA gives me this:
LP133WP1-TJA3
Color LCD

Any ideas what that means? Like to know if I've been living with a LG and haven't cared.

DarwinOSX
Jun 17, 2013, 10:08 PM
The 13" retina is 3.5 lbs and the next version is rumored to be lighter and thinner.

I think the choice is actually pretty stark: Buy a Retina MBP and lug around a 4.5lb laptop, or buy a display to compensate for the lack of retina display on the MBA.

The MBA is perfect for me when traveling. Problem is I'm hampered by the display - both size and resolution - when I'm hard down. The situation is exacerbated by the new iPad and the MBP-R showing us how good displays can be.

I can live with the MBA as my only machine for work and travel, as long as I have a Thunderbolt display at home. I frankly don't want to lug around a still-too-heavy MBP-R ... if I had, I'd have uprooted by 15" MBP and been happy enough with it that I'd never have considered the Air.

jmoore5196
Jun 18, 2013, 11:19 AM
The 13" retina is 3.5 lbs and the next version is rumored to be lighter and thinner.

If you need a QC processor - and I often do - then the only choice is the 15" rMBP. If I'm going to saddle myself with a dual-core processor, I'll opt for the MBA versus the 13" rMBP. I value the portability over the screen resolution.

It doesn't really matter how wonderful the redesign will be. It's not out yet, and you can't use a machine that isn't being produced.

happyslayer
Jun 22, 2013, 01:31 AM
Scott6666, yes you have an LG display.

I have one too on my new 2013 11" and I think it looks great. In fact, I was just commenting to my wife that I thought maybe Apple had changed the screen somehow, because this one looked so smooth and sharp compared to my 2011 model.

I did, just now, download the macrumors LG color profile and I do admit that it looks different. Not sure if I am going with better yet. I'll have to do some surfing and such and decide.

Scott6666
Jun 22, 2013, 09:59 AM

I have one too on my new 2013 11" and I think it looks great. In fact, I was just commenting to my wife that I thought maybe Apple had changed the screen somehow, because this one looked so smooth and sharp compared to my 2011 model.

I did, just now, download the macrumors LG color profile and I do admit that it looks different. Not sure if I am going with better yet. I'll have to do some surfing and such and decide.

Thanks for the info!

Now I know I should have been disappointed for the past 2 years when instead I was fooling myself thinking the screen was absolutely fine. :D

Amplelink
Jun 22, 2013, 10:03 AM

I've got an LG display too and I think it looks terrific. Even better than my Dell IPS 24" panel. lol

falconeight
Jun 22, 2013, 10:51 AM

----------

Faboyism doesn't really help anything. The air has benefits and so does the rMBP. The air is cheaper, thinner in places, lighter, lasts longer, and very portable. The rMBP is more powerful, way way better screen(no use trying to argue it), and has a beautiful design.

LeeM
Jun 22, 2013, 11:08 AM
the air is good, the pro is better though. ive got both and like both for different reasons

sparks9
Jun 22, 2013, 11:53 AM
Is this a joke? or are you delusional?

Mobility and battery life are the two most important things for MBA users. You want a retina display? go buy a rMBP. The 2013 MBA is equipped with the latest processor and wifi technology. It also boasts a huge improvement in SSD speed and battery life.

That guy is clearly delusional.

sparkie7
Jun 23, 2013, 03:20 AM
Faboyism doesn't really help anything. The air has benefits and so does the rMBP. The air is cheaper, thinner in places, lighter, lasts longer, and very portable. The rMBP is more powerful, way way better screen(no use trying to argue it), and has a beautiful design.

It's not fanboyism. Clearly doesn't function when you have a reflecting piece of glass. Better suited for watching movies then doing real work. Maybe that's why  caved in and offered an AG option as BTO, last time I looked.

mattferg
Jun 23, 2013, 06:33 AM

It really depends on what you prioritise. You can add a colour profile to make the air a bit better too. The Pro has better colours overall but the Air has a better resolution - personally the different in colour isn't enough to outweigh the resolution for me. The pro is more expensive for no SSD, no Haswell and a pretty bad screen for a pro laptop (yes I know the retina exists). Personally it's a no brainer for me.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 23, 2013, 06:52 AM

That is why Apple makes the 13" rMBP. Problem solved. If you want ultra portability with good screen then MBA. If you want acceptable portability with great screen then rMBP.

jread
Jun 23, 2013, 11:51 AM
My 11" Haswell MBA came in last week. I upgraded to the i7 and 8MB of RAM.

I love everything about it and think it is a great little laptop, but the display bothers me more and more. I have noticed myself going back to my iPhone or iPad to read emails, etc. just because the resolution is so much better on the retina screens. The MBA screen strains my eyes over time (it's not so bad as far as icons or pictures, but there is a major difference when it comes to text).

I'm considering returning it and getting a 13" rMBP as I think I've become too spoiled to retina displays. If the MBA had a retina screen it would be absolutely perfect... I'd even be fine with the shorter battery life at this point.

falconeight
Jun 23, 2013, 12:35 PM
My 11" Haswell MBA came in last week. I upgraded to the i7 and 8MB of RAM.

I love everything about it and think it is a great little laptop, but the display bothers me more and more. I have noticed myself going back to my iPhone or iPad to read emails, etc. just because the resolution is so much better on the retina screens. The MBA screen strains my eyes over time (it's not so bad as far as icons or pictures, but there is a major difference when it comes to text).

I'm considering returning it and getting a 13" rMBP as I think I've become too spoiled to retina displays. If the MBA had a retina screen it would be absolutely perfect... I'd even be fine with the shorter battery life at this point.

Thats what I did. I just can't pay that much money foe the washed out screen and pixeled text. I got a refurbed retina for the same price with comparable specs but the best screen in the market.

jread
Jun 23, 2013, 01:21 PM
Thats what I did. I just can't pay that much money foe the washed out screen and pixeled text. I got a refurbed retina for the same price with comparable specs but the best screen in the market.

Did you get a 15" or 13"? Also, do you regret your decision at all?

HiDEF
Jun 23, 2013, 01:38 PM
I just got my 13" MBA last night and as soon as it was all set up, I notice the display was LG right off the bat. To confirm, I ran the script and I was right, it was an LG!.. I'm using the MacRumors LG profile and its not that bad. Icons like the App store and iTunes seems "different." Not sure if it's the panel, or me just not being used to it yet.

The only device I own with Retina is an iPad 4. And my personal comp is a 2009 Mac mini using a Samsung LCD as my monitor and its great. Not sure how Retina would compare with my LCD but I'm sure Retina would still kick my LCD's butt in comparison.

If you're deciding what you should get next when it comes to notebooks or ultra books, I think it all depends what you have as your main machine. If you have a desktop or iMac at home and just need something to grab and go, MBA is perfect! There's no need to go rMBP--unless you're video or photo editing on the road, then you need raw power which rMBP provides.

just my .02 cents.

----------

from reading all of Falconeight post, it seems like he's happy with his decision.

johnjey
Jun 23, 2013, 01:49 PM
I know retina is good but it causes eye issues - retina fatigue - and also 13" is heavier and not portable !

I think Samsung displays are better for any Mac

falconeight
Jun 23, 2013, 01:51 PM

I got the 13 and I have no regrets. It will be used for at least 3 years.

jread
Jun 23, 2013, 01:51 PM
There's no need to go rMBP--unless you're video or photo editing on the road, then you need raw power which rMBP provides.

I am not doing any of those things, yet I would much rather have a rMBP just for the resolution. I've always had trouble with eye strain when spending long hours at a computer, and the retina screens basically solved that problem for me entirely. My iPhone and iPad never bother my eyes at all, yet the MBA definitely does.

HiDEF
Jun 23, 2013, 02:04 PM
I am not doing any of those things, yet I would much rather have a rMBP just for the resolution. I've always had trouble with eye strain when spending long hours at a computer, and the retina screens basically solved that problem for me entirely. My iPhone and iPad never bother my eyes at all, yet the MBA definitely does.

Do you have a main machine besides the rMBP, like a iMac or PC desktop?

drxcm
Jun 23, 2013, 02:07 PM
I know retina is good but it causes eye issues - retina fatigue

Garbage. :rolleyes:

HiDEF
Jun 23, 2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah, not sure how Retina can cause eye strain... But everyone is different. ;)

falconeight
Jun 23, 2013, 03:11 PM
Its not eye straining to me its just ugly and pitiful.

HiDEF
Jun 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
Assuming you're referring to the Air, ugly and pitiful are strong words. 13" is fine but it's definitely not Retina quality.

falconeight
Jun 23, 2013, 03:40 PM
Assuming you're referring to the Air, ugly and pitiful are strong words. 13" is fine but it's definitely not Retina quality.

If portability, mac os, and battery life are important then its amazing. For $1200 plus the screen is bad.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 23, 2013, 03:53 PM
If portability, mac os, and battery life are important then its amazing. For $1200 plus the screen is bad.

I don't know if bad is the right word, but as a fellow rMBP owner I will say that it is a fairly striking difference. The MBA has a decent display, but it is definitely lacking when compared to the retina screens. For the person looking at a baseline model that is fine, but if you are looking to spend a little extra cash and do 13" BTO with the RAM and i7 upgrades and the 256GB SSD it becomes harder to really justify the MBA over the rMBP.

Unless of course the form factor is the top priority.

MacBird
Jun 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
I have a 2012 13'' MBA and I don't think the screen is bad. After calibrating it properly, the quality has noticeably improved.

The problem is the old technology, there shouldn't be any TN displays in new MBAs anymore since many other laptops have IPS displays by now. In order to have a retina display, the MBA would need a larger battery or it would lose a couple of hours per charge.

While retina displays look great for text, images are a different story. For photographers, they are a double-edged sword. Hi-res images look great but it would not be a good idea to post those online because people would steal them. Low-res images that look perfectly fine on displays at native screen resolution lose quite a bit of detail when viewed on current retina displays.

Long story short, an IPS display is all I want for next year's MBA.

gnasher729
Jun 23, 2013, 04:35 PM
I know retina is good but it causes eye issues - retina fatigue - and also 13" is heavier and not portable !

Huh? I use a retina display eight hours a day or more, and no sign of fatigue. It is actually more comfortable to read than my old MBP. And the 13" rMBP is lighter than the 13" cMBP.

kahkityoong
Jun 23, 2013, 04:45 PM
MBA definitely the worst screen on the Mac laptops and I own cMBP 15" with gloss and antiglare as well as 13" rMBP. But it's good enough for my photo editing as a pro photographer. A bad workman blames his tools. Seems that there are a lot of people whining about the fact that Apple's cheapest notebook line has the most inferior display. Big surprise. Buy a rMBP then.

tim100
Jun 23, 2013, 04:56 PM
MBA definitely the worst screen on the Mac laptops and I own cMBP 15" with gloss and antiglare as well as 13" rMBP. But it's good enough for my photo editing as a pro photographer. A bad workman blames his tools. Seems that there are a lot of people whining about the fact that Apple's cheapest notebook line has the most inferior display. Big surprise. Buy a rMBP then.

no all day battery life

jread
Jun 23, 2013, 08:21 PM
Do you have a main machine besides the rMBP, like a iMac or PC desktop?

Nope, I was using the iPad as my main until now (obviously there were issues with this). I do have an ancient Windows laptop which I replaced with the MBA. This is my first Mac ever. As I said, it would be perfect but I just can't stand the non-retina screen.

windnsea26
Nov 1, 2013, 09:25 AM
I've been going back and forth between my Macbook Air 2012 and my work non-Retina Macbook 13" and definitely can tell the difference. I thought it was just me. Guess I'm going to get rid of my Air and get a rMBP instead.

joao.magalhaes
Nov 1, 2013, 03:10 PM
Hi,

just received my new macbook air and I was transferring files from my late 2009 macbook to my new air when I noticed two (maybe) problems with my air screen:

1st - It does not really have a white color, the white is yellowish, It would be ok to look at, but when I change from my other mac to the new one is very noticeable, any way to calibrate my air so it has better color?

2nd - I notice it has a gradient on the bottom of the screen, for example, if my wallpaper is all white I notice a gradient coming from bottom to top (just a few pixels), it does not happen with my other macbook, any way to fix it (it has no really use) ?

Regards

yliu
Nov 3, 2013, 01:32 AM
The MBA does look more washed out compared to a rMBP, but the MBA is not the 'pro' laptop.

For everyday task, the MBA screen is adequate, and I do like the screen and the silver bezel as they are less prone to show fingerprints.

l0gikb0mb
Nov 3, 2013, 03:49 AM
Comparing the MBA screen side by side to a friend's $600+ ultra book, the MBA's screen looked amazing... ;)

I was quite surprised actually. I didn't think it faired that well, but a lot more impressively than I'd thought. I still think the cMBP was a bit better, but it's still a great screen.

I don't need/care for retina in it's current form in laptops, but definitely would like IPS.

baileydrain
Jan 11, 2014, 10:35 PM
I bought my Macbook Air in August 2013. I was disappointed too when I saw how Mountain Lion displayed on the Mac. On Apple's website the display looked so much better. The Dock was probably the most noticeable thing, and the colors looked terrible. Once I upgraded to OS X Mavericks, the display looks somewhat better. Hope this helps

michaelsviews
Jan 13, 2014, 12:04 PM
Sitting here reading this and wondering how many people actually own the MBA

I remember back in 2008 when i bought my first MBP the discussion then was yellowing in the bottom of the screen, so when I picked up my new MBP I asked about it and was told that they had never seen any with those problems.

Now with the MBA it seem's like everyone is expecting Retina display but you want the MBA price which we all know is not going to happen.

Eyestrain with Retina displays is something that I have heard of at the local apple store and have experienced myself with a 15" rMBP, brightness turned to 3/4's , its usually common with people wearing glass's or contacts.

If the Air's inferior display is so bad than how are they selling so many?

As for retina in the air, IMHO I'd say NO way, the Air is the replacement for the older black and white macbooks is what I thought which were say entry level machines or lower budgets.

Not arguing just saying that's all. If I could get the display that I had on my 2008 MBP today being non retina I'd take that hands down.

Boyd01
Jan 13, 2014, 12:58 PM
If I could get the display that I had on my 2008 MBP today being non retina I'd take that hands down.

I also have a 2008 MBP just like yours. When I got it, I thought it was the most beautiful screen I'd ever seen. It was the first LED screen I had seen at the time. It still looks great today also.

I had a 2011 13" MBA and now a 2013 11" MBA. No problems with either of these screens. The viewing angle on the 13" screen could have been better, you really needed to view it on axis or it would dim considerably. But I got used to that.

I think the 11" 2013 screen is actually a bit better, with a wider viewing angle. And it seems really bright, I always have the brightness turned down. For me the physical size of the screen is the limitation, not the pixel density. I wouldn't want any smaller text or finer lines.

michaelsviews
Jan 13, 2014, 01:39 PM
I also have a 2008 MBP just like yours. When I got it, I thought it was the most beautiful screen I'd ever seen. It was the first LED screen I had seen at the time. It still looks great today also.

I had a 2011 13" MBA and now a 2013 11" MBA. No problems with either of these screens. The viewing angle on the 13" screen could have been better, you really needed to view it on axis or it would dim considerably. But I got used to that.

I think the 11" 2013 screen is actually a bit better, with a wider viewing angle. And it seems really bright, I always have the brightness turned down. For me the physical size of the screen is the limitation, not the pixel density. I wouldn't want any smaller text or finer lines.

Good to know, headed to the Apple store after work, to look at the MBA 13" I7 and the 13" non Retina mbp

michaelsviews
Jan 13, 2014, 02:41 PM
Hi,

just received my new macbook air and I was transferring files from my late 2009 macbook to my new air when I noticed two (maybe) problems with my air screen:

1st - It does not really have a white color, the white is yellowish, It would be ok to look at, but when I change from my other mac to the new one is very noticeable, any way to calibrate my air so it has better color?

2nd - I notice it has a gradient on the bottom of the screen, for example, if my wallpaper is all white I notice a gradient coming from bottom to top (just a few pixels), it does not happen with my other macbook, any way to fix it (it has no really use) ?

Regards

For #1 where is the brightness setting?

#2 since you just rec'd this , have you done all the updates ?

michaelsviews
Jan 14, 2014, 05:49 AM
Ok came home with the 13" MBA i7, 8gig of ram, 512SSD.

Out of the box impression was disappointing, now I site behind an HP 24" display all day long and have the 15" rMBP so going between these can mess with your eyes a little bit. Next installed Mavericks, display looks allot better, I actually have the brightness down 3 notch's.

While writing this I am downloading Xcode in the back ground and the cooling fans just kicked in and stopped about 45 second's later.

The display is LSN133BT01A02, according to a script I found in another post. guessing Samsung ?

studIOS5
Jan 14, 2014, 08:07 AM
Ok came home with the 13" MBA i7, 8gig of ram, 512SSD.

Out of the box impression was disappointing, now I site behind an HP 24" display all day long and have the 15" rMBP so going between these can mess with your eyes a little bit. Next installed Mavericks, display looks allot better, I actually have the brightness down 3 notch's.

While writing this I am downloading Xcode in the back ground and the cooling fans just kicked in and stopped about 45 second's later.

The display is LSN133BT01A02, according to a script I found in another post. guessing Samsung ?

I would guess that's a samsung display. In my opinion the diffence in displays across different manufactures is only aparent before calibrating with the macrumors color profile. The reason I say that is, I had a samsung panel with a dead pixel initially with my mid-2012 MacBook Air. The display looked great. I sent the air in to get serviced for the dead pixel and it returned to me with an lg panel. I was dissapponted initially, but after setting the macrumors color profile to the display it looks exactly the same as my previous samsung display.

michaelsviews
Jan 14, 2014, 09:00 AM
I would guess that's a samsung display. In my opinion the diffence in displays across different manufactures is only aparent before calibrating with the macrumors color profile. The reason I say that is, I had a samsung panel with a dead pixel initially with my mid-2012 MacBook Air. The display looked great. I sent the air in to get serviced for the dead pixel and it returned to me with an lg panel. I was dissapponted initially, but after setting the macrumors color profile to the display it looks exactly the same as my previous samsung display.

I did not see a "SAMSUNG" profile for a MBA that meets the specifications of the MBA I bought online here. I played with it a little bit and ran the calibration , saw no difference at all. Also did not have time to search for one. I'm using Safari primarily because it works for me, on this site on the MBA it looks washed out, goto UPS site "checking on delivery's" and it looks great , watch some YouTube video's from Harvard looks fine. I'll give it some time and see what if any suggestion's come up for color profiles if any.

I met with a genius on the MBA I have and the display they ran there test's and i was told that there was nothing wrong with it and that they have not had calibration equipment in there shop since the Cinema display days.

I know that I've been using mine more than the MBP that I have and the display kinda grows on you if you will. I asked about returns and has he seen any coming back because of being washed out or lines and he said that he had not himself seen any. The one's that they have worked on all have Samsung displays and they never have any complaints about them.

The Retina displays have what they refer too as a warmer display. Where as the non retina have a cooler display. The only fix he said was for me to create a color profile myself and or find a shop around that has the calibration hardware.

I played sky gambler on mine this morning with the graphics turned all the way up and had no problem's at all. I mite try a game from steam this weekend. I'm not a gamer at all. At this point it's between the 15" and this one

Just thought I'd share. Like I said I have the maxed out 13" Air which our local store stocks.

I know if I keep this they'll come out with a newer and better one in a month or around June, but I personally do not see this getting a retina because it's going to shorten battery life.