PDA

View Full Version : Wait for MBA retina?

oeap
Jun 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hey guys, I would like to seek some purchase advice from you guys.

I currently having a iMac 24" (early 2008). I mainly use it for leisure, like browsing internet, itunes, iphotos and little bit of word processing.

As the iMac is running a bit slow (reaching its 5th year) and I am pretty sick of sitting at the desk to use the computer during my leisure time, so I am considering to have a laptop so I can get rid of sitting at the desk for the whole day.

Will probably get a MBA 13" (with upgrade to i7 and 8GB ram) and external hardisk would solve the storage issue.

However, as I am not in an urgent needs of a new computer.

Would it be better to wait for the next generation of MBA with retina display?
Foreseeing a long wait?

GREEN4U
Jun 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I would not wait. A MBA retina would probably come at a $300+ premium. Also, Apple tends to disappoint us whenever we sit, wait, and wish for something that they end up not delivering. My guess is that if you bought now, you will not say "I wish I had waited." I never have, because the truth is their products aren't even as good as we imagine them up to be. Example: The current retina MBP. It's a nice machine, but it's by no means ideal. $2200. 4.5lbs. No thanks.

comatose81
Jun 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
I think Apple will create a new product line (Retina Macbook Air) just like they did with the Pros. They will not be the same price. If you are cool with paying more money for it, then wait. It won't be long, because people will be demanding it now that the Pro has it.

Personally, if I want to read on a retina screen, I use my iPad. I don't see a whole lot of advantage to retina on an 11" screen. 13" maybe.

Stetrain
Jun 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
I think Apple will introduce a 13" Retina MBP with a higher price tag ($1500+).

The 11" and 13" Airs will most likely stay non-retina for another generation or two. Apple keeps pushing them as the entry level computers, even making them cheaper with the 2012 model. Putting in an expensive display wouldn't fit with that positioning.

oeap
Jun 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
I think Apple will create a new product line (Retina Macbook Air) just like they did with the Pros. They will not be the same price. If you are cool with paying more money for it, then wait. It won't be long, because people will be demanding it now that the Pro has it.

Personally, if I want to read on a retina screen, I use my iPad. I don't see a whole lot of advantage to retina on an 11" screen. 13" maybe.

i totally understand the unnecessariness of having a retina display... it is just the technology trend...

do u have any idea of the price increment for the new iPad with retina display?

tom vilsack
Jun 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
As the iMac is running a bit slow (reaching its 5th year) and I am pretty sick of sitting at the desk to use the computer during my leisure time,

i understand the want of being mobile...however your 2008 imac should not be running slow for what your doing...heck my old 2006 2.0GHz imac with stock 1 gig ram used to zip threw such items...

-how much ram do you have (upgrading is easy..use ifixit)
-try a clean install of osx snow leopard

dcorban
Jun 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Buy a retina? Yes. Wait for retina? No.

I bought the Air now and will simply sell it when the retina hits.

oeap
Jun 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
i understand the want of being mobile...however your 2008 imac should not be running slow for what your doing...heck my old 2006 2.0GHz imac with stock 1 gig ram used to zip threw such items...

-how much ram do you have (upgrading is easy..use ifixit)
-try a clean install of osx snow leopard

i got 4GB ram and yea... that was just a lame excuse :D... i m amazed with this machine... i have never done any reformat over this 5 years...